Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3336 Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Fowl, did you come from high eff speakers like klipsch or something with a horn or metal tweeter? If so then your seeing differences in speakers. Those emps are way more laid back and neutral than most.

Also look up speaker placement calculator online for 2ch speaker placement, seems like they are supposed to be closer to 1/3 way from front wall.....

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #183 of 3336 Old 12-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are these speakers good for movies/games and music: 2xE5BI 2x E55ti and 1xE5CI pared with an HSU VTF-2 MK3?
post #184 of 3336 Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I took my ef30s apart and was blown away at how cheap the cabinets were built!!!! No cross bracing at allllllllll!!!!

post #185 of 3336 Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scovarrubias23 View Post

Are these speakers good for movies/games and music: 2xE5BI 2x E55ti and 1xE5CI pared with an HSU VTF-2 MK3?

OMG - let me know... I was looking at getting the same setup....only I am going 7.1
post #186 of 3336 Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee_1 View Post

OMG - let me know... I was looking at getting the same setup....only I am going 7.1

I got a response back from one of the guys over at EMP Tek and he said that they designed these speakers primarily for movies and sound great for music! So I am hoping that is true, I just haven't pilled the trigger yet!
post #187 of 3336 Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee_1 View Post

they are great sounding speakers and work well with both music and movies, your sub covers all the lows so the speakers can cover the rest...... i use 55i's for fronts and 5c center 5b's for heights and wides
post #188 of 3336 Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Liked: 14
Good Afternoon All,

This past weekend I directly compared the EMP EF30T, Klipsch RF-52 II, and the EMP E55ti. I'm not going to get into the sonic details of each and every track. The speakers were compared in an A\\B arrangement on the Onkyo TX-NR3008. All EQ was turned off and volumes were leveled using a Radio Shack SPL meter. All speakers were used with a 60hz crossover to my TC Sounds LMS-R 15" subwoofer.

Klipsch RF-52II
My spouse really liked the "cute" little Klipsch when they first arrived. She had liked the Klipsch RF-82s (and rc-64) when I owned them. First impressions were not so great to me. The finish looks similar to what you would find on a Polk Monitor speaker, nothing special. And the sound immediately reminded me of the RF-82s I had sold. The Klipsch Reference line has an interesting sound to them. They sound good on their own. The first thing you'll notice is a boost in volume (efficiency) over most speakers. The bass is ample and the horns have a live, in your face sound. All this is well and good until you switch to a volume leveled speaker that is tonally neutral. We immediately noticed deficiencies in the Klipsch. The tweeter often sounds shrill with high notes, the bass is boomy, the midbass is recessed, and the overall sound is compressed and colored. They do offer a solid soundstage with very good imaging. I've always wanted to try a pair of RF-7s but after trying various Klipsch models I seem to have lost my affinity for Klipsch

EMP EF30T
After the Klipsch RF-82s I tried the Polk RTI series. The RTI series was too laid back to us. They just sounded very bland and lacking in detail. So I took the plunge on the EF30T series next. The 5.0 setup was on sale for approx $800 at the time and I figured I'd probably end up sending them back. To my surprise they stayed in my living room longer than the Klipsch or the Polk!
When compared directly to the RF-52 II, the EF30T sounds more natural, tonally neutral, and less boomy. The Klipsch seem to pump up the bass and treble but leave the midbass in the background. The EF30T CAN play bass and\\or treble heavy if you so desire, but they don't just play that way by design! Their are two complaints I have about the EF30T. Firstly, the soundstage never really felt convincing in my living room. Making it very difficult to locate the source of a sound in a game or movie. Then there are the aesthetics, the rosewood finish is downright ugly. Despite these downfalls, I'd still rather own the EF30T than the RF-52 II. In fact, my spouse called me into the living room to switch back to the EF30Ts (from the Klipsch) half way through last weeks American Idol broadcast.

EMP E55Ti
When the E55Ti's arrived I had already been comparing the other two for nearly a week. My first impression was a WOW moment. These speakers downright outclass the other two when it comes to aesthetics. However I was reserving judgement until I had a chance to hear them! To my delight, the E55Ti also outclasses the other two in sound quality! They offer the detail of the Klipsch without the harshness of the horn. The neutral sound of the EMP but with a much better soundstage. They also play louder and cleaner than the other two. I did notice some breakup in the upper midrange when listening to rolling with the king (dvd-a) at high volume. Something that did not happen on the same track at lower volume. I'm not sure if the "noise" was from the tweeter or the midrange, either way it seemed noteworthy.

My two cents is that the EMP E55Ti is a stellar bargain that I would own over any of the other speakers I have mentioned throughout this post.

I have pics but no where to host them at the moment, I'll try to add them later.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #189 of 3336 Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 AM

I chose the RF-52 II for this comparison because the 5 channel (or more) setup is closer to what you would pay for the EMP's than the RF-62 setup. I personally did not feel the RF-52 II sounded much different than the orig RF-82 anyway.

I'm also including some pics of my previous configurations.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #190 of 3336 Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 AM

Liked: 12
Thank you for the comparison review, and thank you for the pictures.
post #191 of 3336 Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Glad to see a few people have found this useful. I know many forum members both here and at audioholics were claiming that the audioholics reviews were biased due to the fact that these are sold on the audioholics store as well as through EMPTEK.

I did not find this to be the case and I hope this helps alleviate some of those concerns.
post #192 of 3336 Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrow099 View Post

I chose the RF-52 II for this comparison because the 5 channel (or more) setup is closer to what you would pay for the EMP's than the RF-62 setup. I personally did not feel the RF-52 II sounded much different than the orig RF-82 anyway.

I'm also including some pics of my previous configurations.

saw you selling those on eBay, did they sell?

post #193 of 3336 Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM

It occurred to me that I also compared the EF30T to the Polk RTI 8 when I first received them... (last year)

I found some pics and notes i made at the time.
The RTI 8 series was too laid back and dull sounding. Lacking in detail and snap when compared to the EF30T.
LL
post #194 of 3336 Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

saw you selling those on eBay, did they sell?

Yeah, the Klipsch RF-52s sold after a week for a mere $499 and it cost me $80 to ship them!. Netting a return of only $420.

However, the old EMP series \\ Destination Audio were difficult to sell. I think that was in part due to the identity crisis RBH Sound caused by selling their wares under so many different names. All told it cost me nearly $160 to ship the EF30 series which sold for a mere $400, netting a return of only $240.

Clearly the resale value of the EMP's is EXTREMELY LOW. To be honest I nearly kept them at that price, but the spouse said "they are just taking up space". (And she is right, I have no place I could have used them.)
post #195 of 3336 Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the Klipsch RF-52s sold after a week for a mere $499 and it cost me $80 to ship them!. Netting a return of only $420.

However, the old EMP series \\ Destination Audio were difficult to sell. I think that was in part due to the identity crisis RBH Sound caused by selling their wares under so many different names. All told it cost me nearly $160 to ship the EF30 series which sold for a mere $400, netting a return of only $240.

Clearly the resale value of the EMP's is EXTREMELY LOW. To be honest I nearly kept them at that price, but the spouse said "they are just taking up space". (And she is right, I have no place I could have used them.)

good deal for the buyer though, I personally had to "just walk away" at
that price to keep from buying. I'm like you though, I don't have anywhere to put them!

post #196 of 3336 Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

They also play louder and cleaner than the other two. I did notice some breakup in the upper midrange when listening to rolling with the king (dvd-a) at high volume. Something that did not happen on the same track at lower volume. I'm not sure if the "noise" was from the tweeter or the midrange, either way it seemed noteworthy.

Interesting...

- what was your amplification?
- how is your room treated?
post #197 of 3336 Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Interesting...

- what was your amplification?
- how is your room treated?

From the pic looks like a Onk, don't see any amp(except what looks like crown amp which I assume is for a sub), that was my thought too, might be amp running out of steam with the 55s. They are relatively low sensitivity, so they do need the juice to get going.....

post #198 of 3336 Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM

"The speakers were compared in an A\\B arrangement on the Onkyo TX-NR3008. All EQ was turned off and volumes were leveled using a Radio Shack SPL meter."

- I used the Onkyo's amp which is rated at 140watts per channel and is thx ultra2 plus certified (if that means anything anymore).

And you guys are correct, the Crown xls2000 is for the sub.
Nice quiet\\efficient amp with plenty of power. And that lms-r driver NEEDS plenty of power.
post #199 of 3336 Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found out yesterday, one of my tweeters in my Ef30ts is not producing any sound. idk if it's blown or maybe a connection came loose. It may have never worked I have always had at least 7channels and it's hard to tell.

If Audyssey had not refused to recognize it I would not have known. REW confirms it falls off following an expected slope after about 3k......

post #200 of 3336 Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got off the phone with the manufacturer and can't say enough good things about these guys. They helped me diagnose the problem and helped get the parts I needed on the way quickly.

I wish I had more rooms to full up with their stuff!

post #201 of 3336 Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Liked: 11
Rumor has it EMP will be releasing a larger (12"-15") sub in the Impression lineup soon...
post #202 of 3336 Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post

Rumor has it EMP will be releasing a larger (12"-15") sub in the Impression lineup soon...

I'm sure it has a little bit to do with this review

http://www.amazon.com/EMP-Tek-ES10iR...owViewpoints=1

post #203 of 3336 Old 07-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post

This is what I found on their website: http://www.emptek.com/es1010i.php
post #204 of 3336 Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Liked: 11
Good find. I mentioned to an EMP employee that they needed a 12"-15" sub, and he said "Wait ‘til you see our new sub that’s coming out in about a month or two."

Looks like he meant the aforementioned dual 10" sub that Larry linked.

Based on those dimensions, it looks like a "stacked" dual driver config, not an opposed dual driver config. Each has their merits, although I prefer opposed so no vibration is transferred through the floor. Stacked looks cooler though.
post #205 of 3336 Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I purchased the EMP E5Ti Towers, ES10i Sub, and E5Ci center a couple of weeks ago.

The towers and sub are great, but I'm really questioning the center. It doesn't seem to match well with the towers.

Any other opinions of the center?
post #206 of 3336 Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiprecked View Post

I purchased the EMP E5Ti Towers, ES10i Sub, and E5Ci center a couple of weeks ago.

The towers and sub are great, but I'm really questioning the center. It doesn't seem to match well with the towers.

Any other opinions of the center?

the centre to me just doesn't sound correct. I turned it off and a phantom center sounds way brtter.
post #207 of 3336 Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

the centre to me just doesn't sound correct. I turned it off and a phantom center sounds way brtter.

How does it measure?

Have you done any surgery to see if something is amiss inside?

What type of EQ do you have?

post #208 of 3336 Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

How does it measure?

I have not measured it. But I am sure that as a horizontal MTM the polar response is a mess. measuring it does sound like a good idea though.

Quote:

Have you done any surgery to see if something is amiss inside?

I did add some poly fill but that's about it.

Quote:

What type of EQ do you have?

Audyssey MultEQ. Though I use the graphical EQ instead, to correct for baffle step but not touch high frequency. Either EQ, and source direct, all sound wrong. It's especially revealed on a. 5.1 HD sports feed, switch back and forth between phantom and physical and the physical center just makes you think 'wtf'
post #209 of 3336 Old 10-01-2011, 05:44 PM

The Emp Tek lineup are the first speakers I've owned, haven't noticed any problems with the center but my ears haven't heard anything else. My sub is a outlaw LFM-1 EX.

I came to this thread actually to mention Emp has uploaded a new manual of the impression series in the last few weeks: http://www.emptek.com/images/IMPSeriesManual_New.pdf
Besides the ES1010i sub, there's the E55Wi Surround On-wall and E56Ci Large Center, googled them and couldn't find anything. The E56Ci adds 2 of their 6 1⁄2” woofers. Very interested in how they sound.
post #210 of 3336 Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 AM

I measured my ef30c earlier today and it looks pretty smooth.

\\

I measured it a foot off the floor and 36 inches away on axis.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page