post #2251 of 3345 Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Here are my towers, will be purchasing a E56Ci and TV wall-mount soon (Black Friday fingers crossed).

i love your wood floor... gorgeous! lots of character.

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

i love your wood floor... gorgeous! lots of character.

Why thank you!

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #2253 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Thanks for the review. Are you sure you didn't have something wrong (controls/settings/etc) with the VTF3-mk4? When putting the tests together...they're MUUCH different in terms of raw output. I'm sure the HSU would sound better to some degree, but it should have been a massive difference in SPL, whereas you said there wasn't much.

The massive difference between EMP and Hsu's output... Hey you're not alone there, I knew earlier from forums that Hsu measures higher.
During the test we listen to moderate loud from the receiver. We set both sub's gain at 12 to assume that this would be the bass in it's "purist" form.
It always baffles me how those chart's measures were taken. Is it on the sensitivity - like @5watt 1meter? Or is it about pushing the db of a sub to the point of unbearable distortion?
I have an Orbaudio, an 8 inch sub. I a/b it against EMP. I set my Orbaudio sub's gain at merely 9 o clock, EMP at 12 o clock. And guess what? It sounds like the Orb is louder than EMP! So enlighten me please :P

I'm guessing reasons could be one or a combination of these factors:
- the way their volume knob is designed
- a sensitivity's issue
- me and my friend's interpretation in bass loudness is poor
- phase knob on both sub is different
- I had unknowingly set the gain higher on the EMP by mistake
- Hsu has significan't lower distortion than EMP thus making it sounded softer

Some one once gave a quote from Peter Hsu http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387869/hsu-vtf-3-mk-4-vs-uls-15
Quote:
Peter: It is true that a single VTF-3 MK4 can play louder in the 16-25Hz region
compared to the ULS-15. It uses a much larger enclosure and very large
ports, so the deep bass efficiency is better in comparison. Also note that
the ULS-15 uses a very low distortion driver. So even though it can play
as loud or even louder than the VTF-3 MK4 in the 25-63Hz region, it may
sound softer and cleaner due to very low harmonic distortion.

Oh by the way I think I remembered I was using Hsu's setting at Ported Max Extension Mode
1 port open, EQ1:
This mode is ideal for those with medium-to-large
room sizes, or small to medium rooms but who listen at low-to-moderate playback levels where the rising low bass from room gain
will help compensate for the ear’sinsensitivity to bass atlower levels.

Could be the reason why smile.gif
post #2254 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

what does that mean 'the e5ci can't keep up with' the e55ti towers? due to the size of the larger center i have no choice but to go with the smaller one and now having concerns about this! eek ! only other option for the larger center would be behind my tv. but guessing thats not really a good option!?

Mainly dialog is not as clear as the e56ci. The dialog would get drowned out and hard to hear. This was with the center channel gain turned up higher than what it was calibrated for.

I understand that most TV stands will not fit the larger e56ci but, there are tv stands made for large center speakers.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #2255 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Usually center dialog problems are room problems, not speaker problems. Look into some room treatments if you are having dialog problems.
post #2256 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Usually center dialog problems are room problems, not speaker problems. Look into some room treatments if you are having dialog problems.
I have room treatments. Dialog was not the only issue but was my chief complaint. Trust me when I say that the e5ci is far inferior to the e56ci. When I got the e56ci, problem was solved so it was not a room treatment issue. I tried the room treatments first.

- Leon Phelps
post #2257 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Well in my system, and keep in mind I have the smaller e5Ti towers and a 12 x 22 foot room, the small center, with a slight boost, is clear and detailed. I have no doubt the bigger center is better, but if the poster doesn't want to buy a completely different stand, the smaller center speaker can do the job!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #2258 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Quote:

what does that mean 'the e5ci can't keep up with' the e55ti towers? due to the size of the larger center i have no choice but to go with the smaller one and now having concerns about this! eek ! only other option for the larger center would be behind my tv. but guessing thats not really a good option!?

Mainly dialog is not as clear as the e56ci. The dialog would get drowned out and hard to hear. This was with the center channel gain turned up higher than what it was calibrated for.

I understand that most TV stands will not fit the larger e56ci but, there are tv stands made for large center speakers.

thank you for the info.

my cabinet is industrial looking furniture made of metal, and only one! inch too small. maybe i should get the hammer out!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2259 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Well in my system, and keep in mind I have the smaller e5Ti towers and a 12 x 22 foot room, the small center, with a slight boost, is clear and detailed. I have no doubt the bigger center is better, but if the poster doesn't want to buy a completely different stand, the smaller center speaker can do the job!

thanks! only thing i can do is try it.
you are right in that i will definitely NOT be buying a different stand.

post #2260 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 73
Does anyone here have an SPL meter or calibrated mic? I would really appreciate it if someone could take a measurement about 1 foot away from the speaker (any impression speaker will work) at tweeter height. I'm taking my SPL meter back today if it every stops sleeting/snowing here (it's COOOLD mad.gif) to rule out that as the possible problem. As you can see from the posts below that were taken from another forum, I'm getting the same huge dip responses from the speakers from my Main Listening Position (12 feet away from the speakers) and from 8" to 1' away from the speakers. I think that pretty much rules out room issues. I'm getting these dips on the e55's, e56c AND my e5b's. If the new SPL meter reads the same, I have until mid-January to return my AVR, which I will likely do. Maybe it's flawed somehow

Thanks everyone for your help! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2;999507 
How can I tell those things? I can take pictures if that'd be helpful

Measurements are from the LP about 11-12' away. Setup is 11' speaker distance apart and slightly longer than that to the LP. In the original post my measurements are from the main listening position, but I posted some from about 1' away as I wanted to see if it was a room function or possibly my SPL meter wasn't reading correctly at that distance.

"I thought maybe my SPL meter was getting messed up by listening from 12ish feet away at the main listening position so I did some measurements from about 1' away:

Pink Noise
5kHz: 81dB
6.3kHz: 68dB

Sine Waves
5kHz: 83dB
6.3kHz: 51dB"

It seems the same pattern is happening from 1' away so that's what made me think it wasn't the room acoustics playing the entire roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2;999603 
Testing EACH speaker INDIVIDUALLY

* Patterns were the same whether I had Audyssey on or off (no EQ). Both resulted in huge dips. The tests below were done with NO EQ

Center Channel from 1 meter
5kHz: 82dB
6.3kHz: 65dB
8kHz: 46dB

Left & Right (indiviually tested) from 1 meter
5kHz: 84dB
6.3kHz: 57dB
8kHz: 48dB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2;999608 
Thinking about taking the Ratshack meter back and picking up a mic (omnimic?) to use with something like REW. Real time FR graphs would be nice. Seems about the same price.

I understand what you all are saying though. I understand cancellations, wave physics to an extent, etc. Obviously you're not going to have a flat response in any room..ever..but to be 40db down from 5k to 8k!!

Edit: Just thought about trying the rear speakers (emp e5b's) to see if they have a flatter response from the tweeter. So I mic'd them from about 6' away

5kHz: 82dB
6.3kHz: 57dB
8kHz: 47dB

Same thing. These and the previous measurements in post #14 aren't corrected, but it doesn't really matter as the correction for the Radioshack SPL meter isn't close to what it'd take to make this even close to flat

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #2261 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I don't have an SPL meter but have thought about picking one up, if I do I will test and let you know. To me the common denominator here is the AVR. You have tried three different impression speakers and have a similar issue. As far as I can tell, there haven't been any others with issues like this. Many people have Audyssey boost the upper frequencies, but there is no large dip in the middle of the curve like you are exeperiencing. I would definitely try a new receiver, you could get one at Best Buy and test/return it the same day.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #2262 of 3345 Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 10
Speakers are due tomorrow! Can't wait to get them set up and listen! Pretty fast turn around on shipping to Pennsylvania.
post #2263 of 3345 Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 PM

Liked: 22

Hi Emp Tek owners,

I'm new to this. I'm looking to buy a pair of tower speakers mainly for listening to classical music. I was looking at the Emp Tek E55ti. They are $290 each now on their website. How good is that price? What is the best price you guys got on these speakers? Can I expect the price to go down on Black Friday?

Living room: EMP Tek E55Ti (pair) / Yamaha RX-V475 / Sony BDP-S3100

Bedroom: EMP Tek E5Bi (pair) / Yamaha RX-V375 / JVC DVD player

Headphone equipment: Sennheiser HD 598 / PA2V2 headphone amp

post #2264 of 3345 Old 11-23-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post

Hi Emp Tek owners,

I'm new to this. I'm looking to buy a pair of tower speakers mainly for listening to classical music. I was looking at the Emp Tek E55ti. They are $290 each now on their website. How good is that price? What is the best price you guys got on these speakers? Can I expect the price to go down on Black Friday?

This is their sale for black friday. Jump on the speakers now because they will not be at a lower price. They are really good for the price too! I doubt that you could find equal or better for twice the price.

This is coming from a person that is actually about to sell my emp's only because I want inwall speakers in my theater so no speakers will be seen. If I was not going for the in-walls, I would keep the emp's for sure.

I am super happy with them and they sound great! I just watched a movie tonight and was thinking of how great they sound. They sound great for two channel as well. I heard the B&W 802 diamonds and could not justify 15k for the speakers that sound better than the emp's but not 15k better.

- Leon Phelps
post #2265 of 3345 Old 11-23-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:

This is their sale for black friday. Jump on the speakers now because they will not be at a lower price. They are really good for the price too! I doubt that you could find equal or better for twice the price.

This is coming from a person that is actually about to sell my emp's only because I want inwall speakers in my theater so no speakers will be seen. If I was not going for the in-walls, I would keep the emp's for sure.

I am super happy with them and they sound great! I just watched a movie tonight and was thinking of how great they sound. They sound great for two channel as well. I heard the B&W 802 diamonds and could not justify 15k for the speakers that sound better than the emp's but not 15k better.

After spending ages on the internet reading reviews, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Emp Tek e55ti's. The only bad comment I've read about them is the lack of bass coverage. However, I didn't want to order the matching subwoofer immediately (it's on sale for $199 now). I need the money to put into a Harmon Kardon 3490 stereo receiver (which is what a few other owners of these speakers recommend) as well as a cd player (unless I can just play cd's on an old JVC dvd player that I have). Another receiver I'm considering is the Onkyo TX8050. 

Any opinions regarding Onkyo TX8050 vs HK 3490 for these Emp Tek speakers? I don't plan to get surround sound any time in the near future, so I'm sticking to two channel listening. Also, my primary activity is going to be listening to classical music. Movies are only secondary. 

post #2266 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After spending ages on the internet reading reviews, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Emp Tek e55ti's. The only bad comment I've read about them is the lack of bass coverage. However, I didn't want to order the matching subwoofer immediately (it's on sale for $199 now). I need the money to put into a Harmon Kardon 3490 stereo receiver (which is what a few other owners of these speakers recommend) as well as a cd player (unless I can just play cd's on an old JVC dvd player that I have). Another receiver I'm considering is the Onkyo TX8050. 

Any opinions regarding Onkyo TX8050 vs HK 3490 for these Emp Tek speakers? I don't plan to get surround sound any time in the near future, so I'm sticking to two channel listening. Also, my primary activity is going to be listening to classical music. Movies are only secondary. 

I do not have any experience with those avr's but I will recommend you get an avr with a good dac. If you are into two channel listening a good dac is the most important part of the puzzle. So try to find an avr in your budget with the best dac. Also, if you are super serious about your music, turn table with vinyl is your best quality.

- Leon Phelps
post #2267 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Strange, no email blast from EMP. The 1010 is $50 cheaper than when I got mine. If I just had a place to put a second one! The sale prices do not show on my cut/paste, 25-50% off.

http://emptek.com/HolidaySale.php

E55Ti Tower Speakers$347.50 Each
E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers*$250.00 Pair
E5Ci Center Channel$220.00 Each
E55Wi Surrounds$499.00 Pair
E56Ci Center Channel$450.00 Each
ES10i Subwoofer$375.00 Each
ES1010i Subwoofer$499.00 Each
post #2268 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I can fit one more sub in the room...
post #2269 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I guess I can fit one more sub in the room...

So I am taking it that you ordered another sub??

- Leon Phelps
post #2270 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I am taking it that you ordered another sub??

I did, I have a projector with emp across the front. I have a couple of the on wall waiting to be installed as height speakers. That will bring the total to 7 Emps. The rears are Polk and may be replaced some time, but they sound fine and are usually silent anyway.
post #2271 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice! do you have any pictures to show? We love the porn!

- Leon Phelps
post #2272 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

I have two subs, an Outlaw & an SVS in my setup. Both are really good, however I have a one year old who gets the utmost pleasure of sneaking behind the subs & cranking the gains up until my walls flex, so for now, both are disabled. I'm running the e55ti's in full range allowing the internal x-over to do it's thang. Roll-off occurs on my speakers around 40Hz. While this will not cover subsonic bass, it will get you an enjoyable experience. Now for the range that they do cover, the bass is tight, clean, & "believable". I've really enjoyed my system with the subs off to be honest. There is no lack of out put as long as you feed them some power. My wife actually asked if I had turned the subs back on the while watching a bass heavy movie the other night. Our room is not treated & is 3000 cu ft. with two large openings into the kitchen. You won't get coverage in the first octave, but from there up, will be fine. The only two places the speakers lack is in width & the upper region, 5kHz & above. They don't throw a very wide image. Now this may be because I have a narrow room or due to the fact that my walls or cedar hardwood paneling, I don't know, but in my setup they don't extend much beyond the speakers, left & right. However what they lack in width, they make up for it in depth biggrin.gif They will draw you in. I could go on & on, but for what you pay for the speakers at the BF sale price, it really is astonishing.
Either receiver should be fine. I personally prefer Onkyo.
post #2273 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I have two subs, an Outlaw & an SVS in my setup. Both are really good, however I have a one year old who gets the utmost pleasure of sneaking behind the subs & cranking the gains up until my walls flex, so for now, both are disabled. I'm running the e55ti's in full range allowing the internal x-over to do it's thang. Roll-off occurs on my speakers around 40Hz. While this will not cover subsonic bass, it will get you an enjoyable experience. Now for the range that they do cover, the bass is tight, clean, & "believable". I've really enjoyed my system with the subs off to be honest. There is no lack of out put as long as you feed them some power. My wife actually asked if I had turned the subs back on the while watching a bass heavy movie the other night. Our room is not treated & is 3000 cu ft. with two large openings into the kitchen. You won't get coverage in the first octave, but from there up, will be fine. The only two places the speakers lack is in width & the upper region, 5kHz & above. They don't throw a very wide image. Now this may be because I have a narrow room or due to the fact that my walls or cedar hardwood paneling, I don't know, but in my setup they don't extend much beyond the speakers, left & right. However what they lack in width, they make up for it in depth biggrin.gif They will draw you in. I could go on & on, but for what you pay for the speakers at the BF sale price, it really is astonishing.
Either receiver should be fine. I personally prefer Onkyo.

Thanks! That certainly helps. I really want to stay under budget. So I was hoping to not have to buy a sub. 

So all I need to get now are

1) Receiver (I might get one of the following: 1) Onkyo TX8050 $180 refurb, 2) HK 3490 $317 new or 3) Yamaha rx 797 (used, bid ongoing)  -- I've heard that the HK 3490 has a good DAC, which would be great for digital input from my mp3 player/computer I guess. 

2) CD player. I have some cd's, not a whole lot. I was thinking I'd buy more cds. Considering the Onkyo c7030 and a used Yamaha cdc 697. If I stick mainly to playing cd's with a cd player, I probably won't need a very good DAC in the receiver if the cd player has a decent one. Do I understand right? 

post #2274 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I do not have any experience with those avr's but I will recommend you get an avr with a good dac. If you are into two channel listening a good dac is the most important part of the puzzle. So try to find an avr in your budget with the best dac. Also, if you are super serious about your music, turn table with vinyl is your best quality.

If I get a decent cd player like the Onkyo C-7030 which has a good DAC (according to many), do I need an avr with a good dac? Sorry, I'm just learning the ropes around this stuff. 

post #2275 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

No, you should be fine as long as you get a cd player with a good DAC.
VS85 likes this.

- Leon Phelps
post #2276 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I was hoping to not have to buy a sub. 

I highly recommend a sub. I love bass though however, the emps lack bass.

- Leon Phelps
post #2277 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I highly recommend a sub. I love bass though however, the emps lack bass.

I'm not a bass head. I will primarily be listening to classical music, jazz and occasionally classic rock. I'll just wait until I've had a chance to listen to these without a sub. The deal on those subs is great at the moment but I need to spend my money wisely to be able to stay under budget. :) 

post #2278 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 638
EMP E5Ci Center Channel Speaker.

I've been using the Impressions towers for a few months with an old VMPS dipole center channel speaker. With the Black Friday sale I decided to order one of the E5Ci centers to complement my towers. So here is a quick reaction to it.

empe5ci.jpg

The E5Ci is the smaller of two center channel speakers from the Impression series. It is an MTM design with a dome tweeter flanked by a pair of 5 1/4" midrange drivers. It has two back firing ports, one behind each midrange driver. It is basically the same setup as the Impression towers without the woofers. It is about 22" wide and I chose it because it fits in my home theater console furniture. The larger one would have been nice but is too wide for the fit. It has a sloped top just like the other Impressions speakers and the same binding posts in the back. Mine has the glossy black ash finish to match my towers and my console.

The mid and high frequencies are just like those on the towers. My old VMPS center was slightly dark sounding like all VMPS products were. The new EMP unit has a snappier and brighter overall sound quality which I found pleasant and right in line with the sound of the towers. Sensitivity was just like towers as well. MCACC set it up at -17db just like them. So integrating it into my system offered no issues at all.

There isn't much to say about the speaker really. It is an ideal match for the towers since it uses the same drivers for the midrange and high frequencies as the E55Ci towers. If you don't have one of the EMP centers to go with your Impression speakers, I recommend it and remind you that the Black Friday sale has the little one like mine priced at $155, shipping included. Good listening.
post #2279 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently not too much pipe organ music then?

There was a great deal at Newegg on the Pioneer vsx-822, refurbed for $50 less than the new price, currently just under 200. A good 5.1 with network.
post #2280 of 3345 Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Some pipe organ goes down to 16hz too! eek.gif

- Leon Phelps
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page