129Likes

Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Has anyone that ordered in December received their stuff yet? Hoping my e1010i's come in this week as I'll probably be away for a good portion of next week

I placed my order on 11/29 (Two pairs E5Bi and one E5Ci), got an email from Brian on 12/2 saying that it will be approximately 6-7 business days before they ship. I'm hoping it ships sometime this week ... I'd really like to get something hooked up to the receiver that was delivered last Thursday biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Has anyone that ordered in December received their stuff yet? Hoping my e1010i's come in this week as I'll probably be away for a good portion of next week

Yes, my 1010 arrived on Saturday.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Ah yeah...I forgot about the 6-7 days e-mail. I believe it was like that last Black Friday since everything is made to order. Gregoryperkins, you go yours quick! Had any more time with them the past few days?

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 11
received my E56ci today. However there are some minor cosmetic flaws on the top of the speaker. I emailed EMPTek. we'll see what happens.. I need to find a stand for it now. Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I was one of the first to order. I am liking the second sub, it really helps. The wife was out of town for a few days, so the timing was good. I think I'm going to have to be quieter...frown.gif
Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30

I ordered on the 24th and got mine today.

Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon x2000 | EMP E55Ti | E56Ci | E55Wi | PSA XS30
Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Anxious to see the reviews coming soon from all the new guys. Seems like they were a hit again this year

Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 22

I emailed Brian and he told me that my speakers will probably ship out today or tomorrow. Can't wait to get them. I'll be sure to leave a noob review. 

Living room: EMP Tek E55Ti (pair) / Yamaha RX-V475 / Sony BDP-S3100

Bedroom: EMP Tek E5Bi (pair) / Yamaha RX-V375 / JVC DVD player

Headphone equipment: Sennheiser HD 598 / PA2V2 headphone amp

Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Only if it's good! lol jk. What all have you heard (in the same room preferably) that you can compare these guys too?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:

^ Only if it's good! lol jk. What all have you heard (in the same room preferably) that you can compare these guys too?

Which is why I said I'd leave a noob review. So that means that I won't be comparing it to other speakers since these will be my first decent speakers, I'll just be leaving my subjective impressions about them (which is what you get anyway, whether you have comparison speakers or not).

Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Yeah, I was one of the first to order. I am liking the second sub, it really helps. The wife was out of town for a few days, so the timing was good. I think I'm going to have to be quieter...frown.gif

Did you co-locate them or spread them out?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Did you co-locate them or spread them out?

How important is placement of the sub woofers? In other words, what difference do you expect in the two scenarios above? I've heard that those lower frequencies are not as directional, hence my question.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post

How important is placement of the sub woofers? 

Really important for the seating position!

Co-locating a sub with the same sub will yield about 6db gain. Adding a second same sub will get you about 3db. If you do not put the sub in the proper spot, you will not hear the full range of the sub. It will sound really dull and under perform. This is why some people will get multiples to spread out the bass so that there are no nulls and also to even out the frequency. Meaning adding db's to the entire output and eq'ing the louder parts of the fq down so that the response is flat with the lower fq. It is a lot harder to get the lower fq's and a lot more money too!
VS85 likes this.

- Leon Phelps
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which is why I said I'd leave a noob review. So that means that I won't be comparing it to other speakers since these will be my first decent speakers, I'll just be leaving my subjective impressions about them (which is what you get anyway, whether you have comparison speakers or not).

...calm down lol. It was a joke. We're all noobs to someone else who knows MUCH more about this than we do. Just because you're new to this doesn't mean you haven't heard anything, hence why I asked
Quote:

How important is placement of the sub woofers? In other words, what difference do you expect in the two scenarios above? I've heard that those lower frequencies are not as directional, hence my question.

Gregory pretty much summed it up. Multiple subwoofers doesn't ALWAYS smoothen out room response, but it's a pretty good bet that it'll help

Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm somewhat limited in the placement of the sub as they are so tall relative to other subs. I wanted it to be dead center of the projector screen, but the bottom of the screen is too low. As a result, it is to the right, just outside of the light beam, near the right tower angled in toward the sweet spot. Putting a second on the other side is not an option since the tv (for daytime) is there. The second sub is in the back on the left hand side, just a bit forward of where I sit, angled toward the other sub. I'm not sure if this is ideal, but it is where I can place it and get some balance. I think I'd prefer both subs up front on the left and right sides of the screen, but that won't happen until I raise the screen.

The next steps are raise the screen and install the emp on-wall speakers for left and right height replacing the much smaller polks, then doing some room treatment. Once I get that done, I'll post some pictures.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I know you would like the subs to look uniform. All the other speakers are, so why not the subs? Bass is effected by the room. So placement is critical. In my setup I have one in the front right corner & another in the opposite rear corner. The one in the rear corner, I have to reverse the polarity to get the response flat. If you don't have a mic to measure with, then you could use a spl meter to measure. If you truly want the best results head over to the subwoofer forum & read up. There's a learning curve, but if you're like me then you'll enjoy the free education. & get something in return.
gregoryperkins likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I wanted to get an opinion from people running similar speakers to mine. I've got the e55ti towers and currently have them set to large. I've got a BIC F-12 sub that is currently crossing over right around the 55hz mark. Question I have for you all is if you would keep the fronts set to large, or if you would set them to small and let the sub handle all of the bass. I'm torn on it, because I don't actually think the towers do that terrible of a job on bass. It's not stellar by any means, but still it is a decent sounding.

Other question I had is some reviews on the e56ci center channel. I'm currently using a Polk CS10 as my center. I would like to go with the e56ci in order to get things matched up with my fronts, but I can't find that much online about the thing. For those of you who own it, what are your thoughts. I have to believe it would be a significant upgrade over my CS10.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Can't tell you what to do with sub & towers, it's what you like, your room size, & performance. The towers will have tighter, punchier bass, but the sub will have more output. I don't see a problem running in that config. If you are satisfied. The EMP will definitely outperform the Polk. I used to have a Polk setup before the EMP's. The EMP center will require a little more juice than the Polk's.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post

I wanted to get an opinion from people running similar speakers to mine. I've got the e55ti towers and currently have them set to large. I've got a BIC F-12 sub that is currently crossing over right around the 55hz mark. Question I have for you all is if you would keep the fronts set to large, or if you would set them to small and let the sub handle all of the bass. I'm torn on it, because I don't actually think the towers do that terrible of a job on bass. It's not stellar by any means, but still it is a decent sounding.

Other question I had is some reviews on the e56ci center channel. I'm currently using a Polk CS10 as my center. I would like to go with the e56ci in order to get things matched up with my fronts, but I can't find that much online about the thing. For those of you who own it, what are your thoughts. I have to believe it would be a significant upgrade over my CS10.

I have tried small versus large with my E55Tis and F-12, and ultimately I prefer them set to small and a crossover of 80Hz. This is what Audyssey set for me and I think it sounds the best. The towers definitely benefit a lot from a sub and I wouldn't cross them over below 60Hz.

The E56Ci is a big upgrade over the CS10 because it utilizes a more ideal driver layout. When you have a WMTMW center, you want the tweeter to not be on the same axis as the other drivers to reduce lobing. The E56Ci does this, the CS10 does not. Additionally, the EMP center matches and will make for better imaging and a more seamless sound stage. It's also a more appropriate match for the towers as far as output goes, you need something equally capable.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 AM

man, getting these towers out of their boxes feels like I'm delivering a baby.  Also, I'm realizing how little room I have to work with lol

Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Ugh, I can't figure out why this dumb sub cant get loud. It is an old Advent AV550S (exactly like this one http://www.avsforum.com/t/717328/jbl-vs-diy-dayton-12-titanic-sub#post_8328553). In the manual setup while configuring levels I can barely even hear it unless I turn the gain all the way up and set the level on the reciever at like +10, but then it'll bottom out like crazy in movies.  Putting the gain at about 50% and level at 0 it still bottoms out at certain times. Like, I watched X-Men Origins today and when Wolverine jumped over the waterfall I paused and turned the sub off for the rest of the movie... It sounds awful so I dont know if I am doing something wrong or if this thing is just garbage now. I just have a RCA cable from the sub plug on AVR (x2000) to the LFE In jack on the sub. (thats all I need right?)

I've listened to a bit of music with the towers though and they sound good. I can see what everyone is talking about with the mids. I was a little worried they wouldn't have enough highs for me, but I honestly don't mind them one bit. I do think they could use some more bass though, but this sub is acting up!!! I didn't want to order a new one until next year, but now I may have to expedite that...

Any ideas?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Run audyssey and let it set the sub level. Put the dial on the sub to 50% and then Run audyssey. Make sure the sub is in a good location also.

- Leon Phelps
Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Yea I haven't been able to do a sub crawl yet because I can barely hear anything coming out of the sub to begin with. I'll have to wait until this weekend to run audyssey so the house will be quiet.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like you might have some sort of 'loudness' curve or internal dynamic-EQ type thing applied that's making it distort at higher volumes, gain/level is set too high or crossover is set to high using LFE (120hz) with a combo of gain set to high causing over excursion. Try going into the INPUT instead of the LFE

So...

1. Take RCA's out of LFE and go into INPUT
2. Turn the gain to about 40%ish; crossover all the way to the right
3. Run MultEQ (just do it one or two times; no need to run all positions as we're just checking for what it sets the sub level at)
--If MultEQ sets the sub level/trim to -4db or less (ie. -10db, -8db, etc) then turn the gain DOWN
--If MultEQ sets the sub level/trim to +4 or more (ie. +6db, +10db, etc) then turn the gain UP
--If MultEQ sets the sub level/trim between -3db and +3db (ie. +1db, 0db, -2db, etc) then leave the gain on the back of the sub and the level of the sub in the AVR's internal menu's alone
4. Make sure that Dynamic Volume & Dynamic EQ aren't on for now (dynamic EQ should be okay to have on if you like it after you figure out the problem; Audyssey or Audyssey FLAT is just fine also..no harm there)

Do this and tell us what happens

Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Liked: 13
Sent an email to Brian this morning to check on the status of my order placed on the 29th, he said it should be shipping today. Woohoo! Kinda bummed it took so long, but on the plus side, the receiver / bluray player / cables / etc I ordered are here already. I plan on hooking everything up one night this week, so when they get here, I should be able to unbox the speakers, let come to room temp (because it's -3 here right now...), and be good to go biggrin.gif
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM

Liked: 10
I just received my e55 towers and and e56 center that I will be pairing with a SVS PB-1000 sub.

Unfortunately, I went to hook it up to, what I thought was a correctly repaired Onkyo TX-nr807 receiver and it's immediately going into protection mode. So now I am looking for recommendations on a new receiver. Any suggestions? I was leaning towards something from Denon. I will only be running this as a 3.1 set-up for the foreseeable future in my family room.

For reference, I have a separate media room in my basement with a full Def Tech 7.0 setup and a SVS PB 12NSD, Pioneer receiver and Emotiva amps.

These speakers look great but it's killing me not being able to listen to them. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 480
You could head over to Best Buy and pick up a Denon AVR-X1000. It is only 5.1, but has networking and Audyssey MultEQ XT. I have the 1713 which is essentially the same, and it does a great job powering my EMPs.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

You could head over to Best Buy and pick up a Denon AVR-X1000. It is only 5.1, but has networking and Audyssey MultEQ XT. I have the 1713 which is essentially the same, and it does a great job powering my EMPs.

Thanks, I am looking at the Marantz SR6007 too which is a step up from the Denon, since that Marantz is being discounted pretty heavily right now.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:

It sounds like you might have some sort of 'loudness' curve or internal dynamic-EQ type thing applied that's making it distort at higher volumes, gain/level is set too high or crossover is set to high using LFE (120hz) with a combo of gain set to high causing over excursion. Try going into the INPUT instead of the LFE

So...

1. Take RCA's out of LFE and go into INPUT
2. Turn the gain to about 40%ish; crossover all the way to the right
3. Run MultEQ (just do it one or two times; no need to run all positions as we're just checking for what it sets the sub level at)
--If MultEQ sets the sub level/trim to -4db or less (ie. -10db, -8db, etc) then turn the gain DOWN
--If MultEQ sets the sub level/trim to +4 or more (ie. +6db, +10db, etc) then turn the gain UP
--If MultEQ sets the sub level/trim between -3db and +3db (ie. +1db, 0db, -2db, etc) then leave the gain on the back of the sub and the level of the sub in the AVR's internal menu's alone
4. Make sure that Dynamic Volume & Dynamic EQ aren't on for now (dynamic EQ should be okay to have on if you like it after you figure out the problem; Audyssey or Audyssey FLAT is just fine also..no harm there)

Do this and tell us what happens

I don't think I have any kind of EQ settings going. I basically took the AVR out of the box and did manual set up because I just got my tripod back last night. All I did with manual is adjust the distance and level match to 75db. I believe I crossed everything over at 80, but the svs thing on their site said to crossover the e55ti's at 60.

Thanks for the advice, tonight I'll reset all the settings and start from scratch with audyssey since I have a tripod now just to see if any of this fixes the issue.

PS - I thought I only needed 1 RCA for subs... should I get a Y-splitter to plug into the sub end? I thought it didn't make a difference.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't want to adjust distance. It's not so much distance with a ruler, but rather acoustic distance of the sound wave (proper phase) if I remember correctly. If you just immediately set it up though, it's not likely you have any of that on (dyn. eq/volume) so it could just be improper gain into an LFE with a higher LP filter than most use (120hz is the normal LFE I believe).

I've seen that it doesn't make a difference with the Y-splitter, but I've also seen that it adds 3db to the signal or something like that...blah blah. I'd just pick a cheap one up and if it makes a difference great. If not, return it. Better to have different methods to test all at once so you can get it set right tonight

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems