Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #2581 of 3534 Old 12-26-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Have you tried plugging another speaker into your center channel connectors at the AVR? This will help tell you if it is a AVR issue or a wire/speaker issue. If putting another speaker in that spot doesn't help the muddi-ness, then replace the wire. If you have done that, it is likely an AVR issue...setting or malfunction of some type!
Remythepug likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Solid suggestion, so I gave it a whirl last night.

Used the cord from the center in one of the towers and sounded as expected.

Then used the cord from the tower for the center and sounded the same muddled garbage. EMP promptly responded to my email and is sending out a tweeter for me to replace. We'll see what that does.

post #2583 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

That is odd. Have you checked to make sure the tweeter was working? That could be a cause of the sound being "muddled and low in pitch".

The tweeter is barely working. EMP responded yesterday and think the tweeter is faulty and sending out a replacement. Fingers crossed.

post #2584 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remythepug View Post

The tweeter is barely working. EMP responded yesterday and think the tweeter is faulty and sending out a replacement. Fingers crossed.

Don't worry. That will fix your issue.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #2585 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 170
And now for something completely different...

Just wondering which movie and music soundtracks people feel really bring out the best in their EMP speakers? has anyone heard the Digital remaster version of the Wall?

A couple soundtracks that I really feel showcase the EMP and their excellent clarity. I have the Resident Evil series and while I am not into Zombie movies, those have amazing soundtracks!
My EMP sub really excelled and really show me how much better it was than my Klipsch Rw-12 after watching the Underworld, III (not sure the exact title). battle for Los Angeles, 2012 and over course, the Avatar Soundtrack ...all very pretty dynamic!

Was listening to some MP3s of Tommy Bolin (Iowa's most famous rocker), which haven't been remastered and I am sure aren't the highest quality...but boy, excellent in 2 channel stereo with the sub on or off! I have a couple Mozart recording that are mixed well and almost flawless...
VS85 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #2586 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Just wondering which movie and music soundtracks people feel really bring out the best in their EMP speakers? has anyone heard the Digital remaster version of the Wall?

A couple soundtracks that I really feel showcase the EMP and their excellent clarity. I have the Resident Evil series and while I am not into Zombie movies, those have amazing soundtracks!
My EMP sub really excelled and really show me how much better it was than my Klipsch Rw-12 after watching the Underworld, III (not sure the exact title). battle for Los Angeles, 2012 and over course, the Avatar Soundtrack ...all very pretty dynamic!

Was listening to some MP3s of Tommy Bolin (Iowa's most famous rocker), which haven't been remastered and I am sure aren't the highest quality...but boy, excellent in 2 channel stereo with the sub on or off! I have a couple Mozart recording that are mixed well and almost flawless...

I listened to the 2011 remastered "The Dark Side of the Moon" and it is phenomenal. I am yet to listen to The Wall. As mentioned in my review earlier on in this thread, a CD of Pogorelich playing Scarlatti sonatas also brought out the best in these speakers (you must get this CD if you like clear and quality piano playing). I also listened to Barenboim conducting Schoenberg's Verklärte Nacht and it sounded phenomenal as well. Note that I don't even have a sub. I also found Beethoven's symphonies (No 5 and 7 conducted by Carlos Kleiber) especially nice sounding through these speakers.

I watched Elysium last week (blu ray). While explosions sounded good, the dialogue clarity was found wanting.  

Living room: EMP Tek E55Ti (pair) / Yamaha RX-V475 / Sony BDP-S3100

Bedroom: EMP Tek E5Bi (pair) / Yamaha RX-V375 / JVC DVD player

Headphone equipment: Sennheiser HD 598 / PA2V2 headphone amp

post #2587 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 05:05 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post

I watched Elysium last week (blu ray). While explosions sounded good, the dialogue clarity was found wanting.  

Manually raise the center channel level in your speaker setup routine. That's what I do. I don't use the center channel for stereo music listening so it doesn't get in the way of the music. But it makes dialogue easier to hear.
post #2588 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

tommy bolin.... EXCELLENT choice! will have to dig up my cd. i bet it sounds fantastic with these speakers. (and i'm from iowa too!)

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2589 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Manually raise the center channel level in your speaker setup routine. That's what I do. I don't use the center channel for stereo music listening so it doesn't get in the way of the music. But it makes dialogue easier to hear.

You can also turn the center channel gain up as well. I recently took the e5ci center out of the living room and replaced it with the e56ci from my theater. It immediately made a huge difference! The only reason my wife is letting me keep it in the living room with the e55ti's is because she does not have to turn the volume up as loud to hear dialog.

I must say that the emps are fabulous speakers. They served my theater very well and sound fantastic. The only reason I retired them to the living room is because I didn't want any speakers visible. That is the only reason!

If I was going to by towers again, they would be the e55ti's!

- Leon Phelps
post #2590 of 3534 Old 12-27-2013, 07:31 PM

Liked: 12
I would say "The Hobbit" soundtrack sounds really good. "The Great Powerful OZ" I'll check out some other good titles too.

I have the same issue where dialogue is a bit low but I'll turn the gain about 3db's on the center channel.

Just an update running E55ti, E56ci, E55wi, yamaha front heights, Kliptch12 sub. Must say loving my Emps for almost a year now!
post #2591 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I don't have a center channel speaker. So do you mean adjust the EQ? 

post #2592 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a center channel speaker. So do you mean adjust the EQ? 

No I mean adjust the center channel. If you don't have one, then you can't do that, obviously. I recommend you buy one.
post #2593 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I recommend you buy one.

+1

- Leon Phelps
post #2594 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The set is complete with the EMP surrounds:

empsurround.jpg

But there is a problem. The surrounds sound significantly better and match the sound of the towers significantly better than the center channel. I would return my center in a minute if I could get just one surround to replace it.

you still loving your new surround speakers? now that i've had a taste of these awesome towers, i'm jonesing for more!!! at double the cost of the bookshelves, do you feel they are definitely worth it? i'm trying to justify those over just getting the books.....

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2595 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 09:58 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

I don't know. I haven't seen or heard the bookshelf models. Truthfully, the reason I bought these was the Christmas sale. $330 bucks seemed like something I could spend and not hate myself If I I didn't like them. I wasn't dissatisfied with the speakers I had. The sale just motivated an equipment change.

Let me express a few sentiments here. I don't view the surround part of home theater to be as important as most people do. I think of it as somewhat gimmicky and representing just a tiny portion of the overall audio content of a soundtrack. Since I got the speakers, the movies I've watched have had mostly "ambience" in the surround channels. I don't even pay attention to that. The first time I heard them play loudly was last night when I watched Man of Steel. That movie is the all time champion for most explosions. It will definitely exercise your subwoofer. I thought the surround content (albeit being things like explosions and passing F22's) was nicely timbre matched to the main speakers. I can also tell you that when I ran MCACC I discovered that they are timbre matched to the mains better than small EMP center channel speaker I have. I would put one of these surround speakers in its place in a minute if I could buy just one.

The surround speakers that they replaced were inexpensive Tannoy recording monitors which, in my view did a super job as surround speakers. I would say the EMP surrounds are a little more refined than the Tannoys, better timbre matched and probably a better solution all the way around.

Sorry, about the roundabout explanation. Yes, I'm happy with them. I expect them to serve me well for years to come. I wish I could give you a comparison with the bookshelf models but I can't.
post #2596 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

One more thought. Perhaps the small center channel is timbre matched to the bookshelf models and it is the larger one that is matched to the towers. Just a guess. The large center wasn't an option for me because of the furniture that houses my equipment. But if my guess is right, then perhaps the bookshelf models would have poorer timbre matching to the towers than the surrounds do. I mentioned that would make a better center channel for me above.

Why not call EMP and ask them. If the bookshelf speakers sound like my center channel then the surrounds would be a noticeable improvement. All I can do is guess. Note that I'm not criticizing the small center channel but it is not very well timbre matched to my towers. It looks like it would be well timbre matched because it has the same MTM arrangement that the mids and tweeters have on the towers but that doesn't appear to be the case. Call EMP and discuss with them. They designed them and, unlike me, they've heard all of them.
post #2597 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:

No I mean adjust the center channel. If you don't have one, then you can't do that, obviously. I recommend you buy one.

I definitely felt the need for one, more so than even a sub. So maybe I should get a center before I get a sub. 

post #2598 of 3534 Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

thats okay! what you explained does help. i understand the 'surround' is usually just ambience. though, when i watch regular tv sometimes i like all speakers on. so knowing they 'match' well with the towers is important. i may just have to give brian a call monday and see what he might do on price! like you said, they will provide many years of enjoyment and i like the idea of bi-pole. i guess there is no reason to skimp out after investing what i already have. thank you for the details!

edit... just read your other post, yes makes a lot of sense. i will call brian. TY!

post #2599 of 3534 Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I definitely felt the need for one, more so than even a sub. So maybe I should get a center before I get a sub. 

In your case a center might be the way to go. I don't see any point in struggling to hear dialogue while watching a movie. Normally I would put speaker importance in order as mains, subwoofer, center, surround. Adding a subwoofer would certainly make a more dramatic change in the sound of your system but the ability to adjust dialogue level may be more important in your case.
VS85 likes this.
post #2600 of 3534 Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One more thought. Perhaps the small center channel is timbre matched to the bookshelf models and it is the larger one that is matched to the towers. Just a guess. The large center wasn't an option for me because of the furniture that houses my equipment. But if my guess is right, then perhaps the bookshelf models would have poorer timbre matching to the towers than the surrounds do. I mentioned that would make a better center channel for me above.

Why not call EMP and ask them. If the bookshelf speakers sound like my center channel then the surrounds would be a noticeable improvement. All I can do is guess. Note that I'm not criticizing the small center channel but it is not very well timbre matched to my towers. It looks like it would be well timbre matched because it has the same MTM arrangement that the mids and tweeters have on the towers but that doesn't appear to be the case. Call EMP and discuss with them. They designed them and, unlike me, they've heard all of them.

brian said the surrounds are better matched with the larger towers than the bookshelves. i was so excited to place my order i didn't ask him any other questions. can't wait to get them!!!

post #2601 of 3534 Old 12-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Liked: 13
Finally got around to running YPAO on my 4x E5Bi and E5Ci setup. Ran it a few times, tinkering with the gain on the sub to get it where YPAO set it somewhere around zero (-1.0 db). Only moved the other speakers ~.5db either way, except it bumped the center 1.5db. Based on how far I turned the gain down on the sub to get near zero, I had WAY too much bass before.

Tested it out with one of the demo discs found in the dedicated theater design & construction forum .... bass was a bit lacking from the sub, so I bumped it from YPAO's -1.0 to 0 and tried again (I use the train derailment from Super 8 as my "reference" material). Definite improvement in my opinion, though I would still like a better sub than my Klipsch sub-10, so that will have to get added to the shopping list.

Other than that, sounds incredible. Can't wait to actually get furniture in the room (probably a few months still) to make full use of it, but color me very impressed with these things for as cheap as they were.
post #2602 of 3534 Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

brian said the surrounds are better matched with the larger towers than the bookshelves. i was so excited to place my order i didn't ask him any other questions. can't wait to get them!!!

Glad you got it worked out. I think they are an excellent match, actually. Probably even better even than they need to be.
post #2603 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I was in the same boat as you back more than a year ago. ended up going with the surrounds and loving them! you get that wrap effect it almost sounds like having both surrounds/back surrounds together.
post #2604 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

Quote:

I was in the same boat as you back more than a year ago. ended up going with the surrounds and loving them! you get that wrap effect it almost sounds like having both surrounds/back surrounds together.

sweet!! i started to second guess myself thinking maybe bookshelves would have been ok. BUT i didn't spend all this $$ for just OK! surrounds should be here late next week. only thing left on the table now is the sub... going to enjoy what i have for now and get sub later this year. my bank account needs to recover first!

happy new year everyone smile.gif

post #2605 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 PM

I had bookshelf speakers for surround and I can pin point where its coming from. with the E55wi's bipole design like I mentioned before literally gives me a fuller wrap around effect. I cannot pin point where its coming from.

I think someone posted here that surrounds are not needed since only ambient sounds are the only thing heard but I think that's what makes it a surround sound.
post #2606 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

I had bookshelf speakers for surround and I can pin point where its coming from. with the E55wi's bipole design like I mentioned before literally gives me a fuller wrap around effect. I cannot pin point where its coming from.

I think someone posted here that surrounds are not needed since only ambient sounds are the only thing heard but I think that's what makes it a surround sound.
+1 on both accounts!

- Leon Phelps
post #2607 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Close surrounds at ear level can be really annoying. I have mine down on the floor for that reason. The tweeters are just below knee level.

Big surrounds can be quite impressive when they actually become active for explosions. Master and Commander is a good demo disc for that, first battle on the counter fire.
post #2608 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM

funny thing...wife was listening to her ipod via h.m.g. and my sub wasn't active. always wondered why that was so busted out the manual that's been hiding in a storage box but I set the speakers L/R to large instead of small and the sub kicked on. Music actually sounds better now that the L/R are set to Large along with the sub. but have to manually set them back to small during HT.
post #2609 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Close surrounds at ear level can be really annoying. I have mine down on the floor for that reason. The tweeters are just below knee level.

Big surrounds can be quite impressive when they actually become active for explosions. Master and Commander is a good demo disc for that, first battle on the counter fire.

mine are attached to the walls 2.5' behind me 3' from each corner of the wall...just a few inches above ear level and have not any issues other than the cats jumping off the back couch when explosions and such going off lol!
post #2610 of 3534 Old 01-01-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yeah, our room is not big, we are up against the wall and it is only 10' wide. The thing that bothers me more than anything is dumb ass clapping and yee hawing during sports. I call it gratuitous surround sound, mostly from sports programming, not from movies.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page