**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 92 - AVS Forum
First ... 90  91  92 93  94  ... Last
Speakers > **Official EMP Owner's Thread**
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 02:38 PM 01-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Probably ported. Most of the market is looking for output..sadly. And with a sealed setup, you're going to need A LOT more power with the lower efficiencies of the design. It just makes more sense, for this price range, to do a ported setup.
Perfectly said, and I would add that it takes a lot more power at any frequency because the driver is not able to move as easy do to the restrictive sealed cab.

Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 02:41 PM 01-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post

I might as well ask the question in here to get a more pointed answer. I'll be placing an order for the e55Ti towers and e56Ci center in the next few days and want to know how well the SVS PB1000 or SVS PB12-NSD complements the EMP setup? What other non-EMP subs are you guys running that works well for you? I'm going to hold off on surrounds due to the e5Bi being out of stock and the e55Wi being out of my price range.

Really any sub will work. Sub choice mainly depends on what you want out of the sub, and mostly, your budget.
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 02:44 PM 01-26-2014
Any of those subs will be great. Can't loose with any of them. Placement, phasing issues, etc are huge down in sub frequencies.

I got to listen to the ML Motion 40's and ML Electromotion ESL's at BB Magnolia. Ran off the Denon x4000. No sub(s). Both on-axis. Only got the chance to listen to 2 songs, wifey was with the kiddo in the car lol, but the songs I knew very well.

Michael Buble - Feeling Good
Dave Matthews - Stay or Leave

I thought the midrange on the ESL's sounded warmer and better to me, but the top end of the 40's sounded better, slightly more forward and a little more revealing. The 40's sounded great on the Dave Matthews track really showing the separation of instruments and the 'airyness' of the tweeter was nice. Something the e55's don't have. After MultEQ XT has been ran in my room and I used Aud. FLAT, the e55's sound pretty similar, but with a slightly more recessed and warm sound. I guess recessed shouldn't be the word. Maybe a little warmer throughout the midrange and upper end. I felt like the ESL's sounded fairly similar to the e55's at times. Both were great sounding, but at almost the price of my entire 5.2 for either 2.0 setup....that's pretty good on EMP's part! I was amazed at how small the Motion 40's looked. Sure they're going to look smaller in a dedicated listening room, but the room was about the size of my living room, if not slightly smaller. Anyways, didn't get to take too much away after just 2 songs, but they were both nice sounding. Can't say I'd pay the difference for them though
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 02:46 PM 01-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Perfectly said, and I would add that it takes a lot more power at any frequency because the driver is not able to move as easy do to the restrictive sealed cab.

That's one of the main reasons why I'm so pro-IB in a car environment. It's also great in a house too, but can be more challenging with all the really low frequency stuff. IB is soo efficient, especially down low and if you can fit the cone area needed (cone area is king for an IB setup) then it can sound great. It's essentially a much more efficient sealed setup

At times I wish I had the cojones to put a few 18's in the ceiling in the living room haha. Wouldn't really see them unless you were looking as you'd make grill that's the color of the ceiling. Some serious output down low though! mmmmm
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 02:48 PM 01-26-2014
Quote:

That's one of the main reasons why I'm so pro-IB in a car environment. It's also great in a house too, but can be more challenging with all the really low frequency stuff. IB is soo efficient and if you can fit the cone area needed (cone area is king for an IB setup) then it can sound great. It's essentially a much more efficient sealed setup
How do you do an IB setup in a car?
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 02:57 PM 01-26-2014
Quote:

How do you do an IB setup in a car?

You just build a thick baffle (usually mdf to about 1.5-2" thick) and bolt it to your seat brackets, frame, etc. You can usually fit a pair of 15's easily in most sedans or sometimes 3 12's....and the depth taken up is no more than the depth of the sub. HUGE space savings with insane lower end output. I'm not sure why my pictures aren't coming up in my old '04 TL, but here's some other guys that did the same thing.

You can face them either way and the depth is going to be around 8-10" taken up.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 04:18 PM 01-26-2014
Oh I see. That is really cool not having a huge box taking up a lot of room.

I miss my 04 TL. I had it for three months before somebody ran a stop sign and totaled it. Loved that car!
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 04:29 PM 01-26-2014
I had a love hate relationship with mine lol. Was a really nice car for the used prices a 3-4 years ago, but my god I had some bad luck with what I needed to get repaired. Complete rebuild of tranny (the auto trannies in these were AWFUL for most), all motor mounts were shot at 100k, navigation failure, horrible dash cracking...and the list goes on and on.
ljmart's Avatar ljmart 04:38 PM 01-26-2014
our emp teks (towers and books) made audioholics top av gear guide 2014!!!

http://www.audioholics.com/siteinfo/audioholics-newsletter-subscription/AH-Top%20AV%20Gear%20Guide%20for%202014.pdf
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 06:34 AM 01-27-2014
Quote:

I had a love hate relationship with mine lol. Was a really nice car for the used prices a 3-4 years ago, but my god I had some bad luck with what I needed to get repaired. Complete rebuild of tranny (the auto trannies in these were AWFUL for most), all motor mounts were shot at 100k, navigation failure, horrible dash cracking...and the list goes on and on.

Wow! that sucks! The generation of TL's before the 04-08 had really bad transmissions too. i never had any problems with my TL, but then again, I only had it for 3 months. They still look really clean though!
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 06:34 AM 01-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

http://www.audioholics.com/siteinfo/audioholics-newsletter-subscription/AH-Top%20AV%20Gear%20Guide%20for%202014.pdf

That is pretty cool!
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 08:23 AM 01-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

Cool! Obviously they're only picking from what they've auditioned and reviewed, but still a good thing for EMP. I have no idea what's going on with my tweeter situation, but with Audyssey engaged and correcting it....it sounds VERY good for the price. There are times when I still get goosebumps with certain songs

Quote:

Wow! that sucks! The generation of TL's before the 04-08 had really bad transmissions too. i never had any problems with my TL, but then again, I only had it for 3 months. They still look really clean though!

Yeah, the 3rd gen (04-08) had terrible AT's. Someone figured that Honda/Acura likely had too many FM (friction modifiers) in the ATF and it was causing the issues. A lot of people swapped to a non-FM fluid and said they had zero problems and it felt better. There were a few things you could do to lengthen the life, but you shouldn't have to ya know. Especially with a car that MSRP'd what they did.

They do look great though. Especially the 07-08 TL-S with the a-spec kit, nice set of wheels and lowered/coilovers. If they'd make this car again I'd buy it, as long as they fixed the major issues. The TL now is okay, but it looks HUGE. Kinda like the new Taurus lol
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 03:32 PM 01-27-2014
pretty much it comes down to personal preference. I'm currently running a 12" klipsch synergy series and I'm still loving this sub. thinking about picking up another to complete my 7.2 setup. I really think if you invest in a nice decent sub complimenting with your Emptek's you'll be more than happy.
Honey Badger's Avatar Honey Badger 03:56 AM 01-28-2014

Would anyone have a picture of the back of their e56Ci? I'm having a hard time finding pictures of it. If not could someone tell me if there are any kind of mounting holes on it?

gregoryperkins's Avatar gregoryperkins 06:07 AM 01-28-2014
My e5ci has no mounting holes, so I can't imagine that the bigger 56 does. They are rear ported.
moussaka's Avatar moussaka 10:20 AM 01-28-2014

fairly sure there aren't any mounting holes... thing is pretty heavy

Honey Badger's Avatar Honey Badger 11:26 AM 01-28-2014

Thanks for the picture, I only ask because my current center channel was knocked off the mantle by my cat and did some serious cosmetic damage to it. I was just trying to figure out the easiest way to attach a tether to it. The e56Ci is 12 pounds heavier but I wouldn't put it past this cat, little **** managed to set my carpet on fire by knocking the snake terrarium and heat lamp to the carpet.

I'd also like to give some gratitude to Brian Tracy from EMPTek, he was great answering my questions and working with me on a specific shipping situation. It's refreshing to see great customer service still exists.

Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 11:34 AM 01-28-2014
Quote:

Thanks for the picture, I only ask because my current center channel was knocked off the mantle by my cat and did some serious cosmetic damage to it. I was just trying to figure out the easiest way to attach a tether to it. The e56Ci is 12 pounds heavier but I wouldn't put it past this cat, little **** managed to set my carpet on fire by knocking the snake terrarium and heat lamp to the carpet.

I'd also like to give some gratitude to Brian Tracy from EMPTek, he was great answering my questions and working with me on a specific shipping situation. It's refreshing to see great customer service still exists.

You could invest in a pack of Blu Tack and stick the center to the mantle. It won't damage either surface, and should provide enough resistance to keep the cat from knocking it off.
AllenA07's Avatar AllenA07 12:03 PM 01-28-2014
Quote:

Would anyone have a picture of the back of their e56Ci? I'm having a hard time finding pictures of it. If not could someone tell me if there are any kind of mounting holes on it?

As others have stated, no mounting holes on the back. As it goes the e56ci is a pretty big center and weighs a decent amount, not sure mounting would be an easy task. I will say, I've had this thing for about a month now and it is a fantastic center. It goes great with the e55ti's.
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 12:44 PM 01-28-2014
I'd say...

take care of the cat. lol
Honey Badger's Avatar Honey Badger 02:20 PM 01-28-2014
Quote:

I'd say...

take care of the cat. lol

That eight pound cat keeps my 95 pound dog in check lol.

lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 02:41 PM 01-28-2014
if ever I had to mount my E56ci definitely use a shelf for it to sit on...pretty damn heavy! looking at the back closely I'm not sure how you would even modify it with mounting brackets or anything.
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 02:50 PM 01-28-2014
tho my ported 12" klipsch subwoofer is handling the lows since the E55ti's don't hit as hard, I'm wondering if its possible to run a 2nd sub but a "sealed enclosure" just because music sounds better IMHO. I'm not so sure there's an AVR that will allow you to do that unless you physically disconnect the subwoofer cable and reconnect it to the 2nd sub. thoughts?
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 03:04 PM 01-28-2014
A properly tuned ported enclosure can sound just as good as a sealed setup in my opinion.

So what exactly are you trying to do though? Run the Klipsch and a 2nd, sealed sub also at the same time? That could present a lot of problems
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 04:05 PM 01-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

tho my ported 12" klipsch subwoofer is handling the lows since the E55ti's don't hit as hard, I'm wondering if its possible to run a 2nd sub but a "sealed enclosure" just because music sounds better IMHO. I'm not so sure there's an AVR that will allow you to do that unless you physically disconnect the subwoofer cable and reconnect it to the 2nd sub. thoughts?

There have been a few blind sub tests on this forum, and people could not tell the difference between a sealed sub or the ported sub with the same material. Mixing a sealed sub with ported is probably out of your league because you are asking this question to begin with. Integrating them together in a setup can be done, but takes measuring and eqing each sub seperately including phasing because I am pretty sure you will have phasing issues in different fq's. The easiest way for you would be to get the exact same sub.
FMW's Avatar FMW 06:00 AM 01-29-2014
I don't have a link but the best preference test I've read on subs had the sealed subs win in sound quality by a significant majority. My own experience is too limited to be meaningful since I only have 2 ported and 1 sealed. My own opinion is that very well designed ported subs can sound great but all sealed ones sound great.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 06:33 AM 01-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I don't have a link but the best preference test I've read on subs had the sealed subs win in sound quality by a significant majority. My own experience is too limited to be meaningful since I only have 2 ported and 1 sealed. My own opinion is that very well designed ported subs can sound great but all sealed ones sound great.

Here is the infamous blind subwoofer test I was talking about. These people could not tell what sub was sealed and what sub was ported or a horn.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012/0_100
AllenA07's Avatar AllenA07 09:16 AM 01-29-2014
Part of me wishes that EMP would release a sub that could compete with some of the big boys out there. I'm looking seriously right now at the HSU VTF-15h. If EMP had something in that league (which I'm not expecting) I would give it some serious thought considering how happy I've been with my towers and the center.

While we're at it a pair of switchable bi/dipole surrounds would also get my attention.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 10:19 AM 01-29-2014
They are working on a new replacement for the ES1010i, a look at RBH's website shows they might do something like a ES1212i, since most of the EMP speakers are descendants of the RBH SX series.

In other news, I finally placed my order for a TV wall mount and an EMP E56Ci!! Can't wait for it all to arrive and get everything set up biggrin.gif
wrunow's Avatar wrunow 10:54 AM 01-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

They are working on a new replacement for the ES1010i, a look at RBH's website shows they might do something like a ES1212i, since most of the EMP speakers are descendants of the RBH SX series.

In other news, I finally placed my order for a TV wall mount and an EMP E56Ci!! Can't wait for it all to arrive and get everything set up biggrin.gif

I'd like to see a higher performance single 12" personally. I would think a dual 12 in the style of the 1010 would be getting a little out of hand in height. I have dual 1010's in my fairly small theater now, I find them to perform pretty well, but they are quite tall for a sub.
Tags: Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems
First ... 90  91  92 93  94  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop