post #2791 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

do you get any reflections or echoing having wood floors? haven't gone far back in the threads if you're running subs and surrounds?

When I first moved in I noticed a bit different sound compared to the old room they were in (carpet floors). I got an area rug, and Audyssey made a big improvement in the sound. I have the E5Bi surrounds and a BIC F-12 sub, check out my sig, but everything sounds great. It's not an ideal room but I am very satisfied with the sound.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
sweet! how do you like the E5bi's? I'm currently running the E5wi's for surrounds but was thinking about ordering the E5bi's for front heights.
post #2793 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks all for the help with the entertainment cabinet question. It seems like there really isn't a workable solution given my limitations. So, that brings me to my next question. E5 vs E56. Will I really be losing a lot with the E5? I really want to get a kick ass center. I feel like my current center (B&W LCR 60 s3) I which I've had for a long while, just isn't cutting it.
post #2794 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sweet! how do you like the E5bi's? I'm currently running the E5wi's for surrounds but was thinking about ordering the E5bi's for front heights.

They are great, although pretty much anything will work well for surrounds. I think they would work well for your heights, they also have keyholes in the back so you can easily wall-mount them, I have mine on stands though (apartment).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleyone View Post

Thanks all for the help with the entertainment cabinet question. It seems like there really isn't a workable solution given my limitations. So, that brings me to my next question. E5 vs E56. Will I really be losing a lot with the E5? I really want to get a kick ass center. I feel like my current center (B&W LCR 60 s3) I which I've had for a long while, just isn't cutting it.

The E56Ci from what I understand is a much better center. The E5Ci is fine if you are using the bookshelves or the now discontinued E5Tis as fronts, but to keep up with the E55Tis, people recommend the bigger center. What also makes it better is the driver layout. Horizontal centers are compromises in design to be more practical when it comes to placement with a TV. You don't want all the drivers on the same horizontal axis because this can create lobing. The E56Ci has the tweeter off-axis above the mid-range drivers, to help lessen that affect.

post #2795 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

but to keep up with the E55Tis, people recommend the bigger center. What also makes it better is the driver layout. Horizontal centers are compromises in design to be more practical when it comes to placement with a TV. You don't want all the drivers on the same horizontal axis because this can create lobing. The E56Ci has the tweeter off-axis above the mid-range drivers, to help lessen that affect.

I agree with this. Personally, I think the surrounds are better matched to the E55 towers and would make a better center channel than the small center unit. I have the small center because of a furniture fit and it is OK as a center speaker but not terribly well matched. If you can't fit the large center, consider a surround instead.
post #2796 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

looks sweet! another reason why I like the look of running 2 subs. anyone find any more info on what Emptek is doing about the new sub? wondering if its worth selling my klipsch and running 2 subs for .2?

I'm not sure what the new sub is going to be. But, you're definitely right about two subs, aside from the obvious higher LFE output, it sure does look nice having a matching pair! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #2797 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

If they were to ask my advice I would tell them to make the same 1010 sub but with a plate amp that has a speaker level input feature. If the old model had had that, I would have bought a pair during the black friday sale.
post #2798 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

I'm not sure what the new sub is going to be. But, you're definitely right about two subs, aside from the obvious higher LFE output, it sure does look nice having a matching pair! biggrin.gif

agree! adds to the bling factor haha! im not sure how Emptek would run 2 12" subs in one box. probably require more enclosure space which would probably mean a bigger box! any other manufacturer running 2 subs beside Emptek? I'm going to do a search on this.
post #2799 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

agree! adds to the bling factor haha! im not sure how Emptek would run 2 12" subs in one box. probably require more enclosure space which would probably mean a bigger box! any other manufacturer running 2 subs beside Emptek? I'm going to do a search on this.

RBH is the parent company, take a look at their SX line of speakers, you will notice some familiar faces. RBH sells a dual 10" sub and a dual 12" sub, in addition to their single 10 and 12.

post #2800 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:

RBH is the parent company, take a look at their SX line of speakers, you will notice some familiar faces. RBH sells a dual 10" sub and a dual 12" sub, in addition to their single 10 and 12.

Didn't know that! that means it is possible to see a e12i12i come out. wondering what the cost would be?
post #2801 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The E56Ci from what I understand is a much better center. The E5Ci is fine if you are using the bookshelves or the now discontinued E5Tis as fronts, but to keep up with the E55Tis, people recommend the bigger center. What also makes it better is the driver layout. Horizontal centers are compromises in design to be more practical when it comes to placement with a TV. You don't want all the drivers on the same horizontal axis because this can create lobing. The E56Ci has the tweeter off-axis above the mid-range drivers, to help lessen that affect.

I remember reading somewhere here but when the E56ci first came out someone posted about be ready for loving lobing issues or something like that. there's an article he posted a link to that talked about it.
post #2802 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Right, ideally all the tweeters would be at the same level so that panning across the screen not go up down up (depending on where the center is) with the mids having a less directional effect. That's why they have acoustically transparent screens, so that the speakers can go behind the screen and be at the appropriate height (mid screen as I recall).

I do not have that luxury on my 106" screen and I do not notice a problem. My system sounds great, but if you are more on top of your system with a smaller tv, you might. My center is about 1 foot below the lr tweeters.
post #2803 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:

checked out RBH and the sx1212p looks sweet! I didn't see a listed price for it. they also have the sx1212n but would require an external amp.
post #2804 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

Dual opposed drivers work well in a smaller box but I have only seen sealed versions of this. There are a few manufacturers that do this such as epik, seaton, psa, jtr, jl, and more. PSA actually has three drivers in an enclosure called the triad.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #2805 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 188
List price on the powered RBH dual 12 inch subs is a shade over 5,000 dollars!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #2806 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

well damn!
post #2807 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

allen807...I had my center sit just like yours and many members advised to pull the center forward towards the edge and boy did it make a difference.

My center is as far forward as I can get it. Most surprising part of the e56 is how tall it is. It's large, but it is a great center and I highly recommend it, especially if you've got the e55 towers.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #2808 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

This new company, Reaction Audio, is shipping their dual 12" sealed subs and will soon be shipping the dual 15" version. There is a thread in the sub section. The owner has been active on there and he seems like a good guy.
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/bps-212-powered-subwoofer
post #2809 of 3730 Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can get it cheaper though. There are way better values out there too.

- Leon Phelps
post #2810 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

Quote:

mine are about 8.5' separation...not ideal but it's what I have to work with. what are most of you guys running space wise on your mains?

Mine are only about 7' apart, but that's as wide as I can go without blocking a door or sticking one way out in the room. I don't sit very far back so I think it works out alright for me.

same here. about 7.5 due to similar restrictions of blocking door on one side and a tall piece of furniture would block the other side. i sit 9' away. what is ideal? 9'? i assume they should have less toe in since they can't be at 9'?

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. EMP Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2811 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

same here. about 7.5 due to similar restrictions of blocking door on one side and a tall piece of furniture would block the other side. i sit 9' away. what is ideal? 9'? i assume they should have less toe in since they can't be at 9'?

I have mine at about 9 feet away as well, slightly toed in but that is mainly because I was running a phantom center. My E56Ci should arrive Tuesday so I may reduce the toe-in and run it all in direct to get it where I like, then re-run Audyssey.

post #2812 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have mine at about 9 feet away as well, slightly toed in but that is mainly because I was running a phantom center. My E56Ci should arrive Tuesday so I may reduce the toe-in and run it all in direct to get it where I like, then re-run Audyssey.

It is actually recommended to have your speakers toed in. I would keep them that way.

- Leon Phelps
post #2813 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

It is actually recommended to have your speakers toed in. I would keep them that way.

Yeah I plan to maintain some, but I want to experiment with maybe a little less toe-in.

post #2814 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

PSA, Epik (bye bye lol), Funk Audio, RBH, Seaton, JL Audio and a few others

I HIIIIIIGHLY doubt it's going to be dual 12" though. That'd be more enclosure space (if they went ported....which they would), more power needed most likely, higher costs, etc etc. It'd be awesome, but unlikely. I still would love to pull the EMP drivers out of mine someday and replace them with 2 10's that model well with this enclosure. Then bypass that amp and run a Crown or Behringer amp with a lot of power. Could be a sweet quad 10" setup!

Quote:

It's surprising how much the SX line looks like the EMP stuff. It's a little different here and there, but the dimensions are spot on. I've always wondered this, but didn't say anything....the EMP drivers are listed as larger than they should be. Likely another reason why the bass isn't as pronouced as people think they should be with 3 6.5" drivers. If you measure from surround to surround, the 6.5's and midranges aren't near as big. Makes me wonder if it's the same faceplate as the RBH SX line and if those drivers would drop in. That'd be one hell of an upgrade haha

Quote:

Didn't know that! that means it is possible to see a e12i12i come out. wondering what the cost would be?

Well they charge $399 for the dual 10, so I'd say $499 or $550 for a dual 12 if that was to happen. Doubt it though.

Quote:

RBH is only sold a select few dealers so the prices usually can be had for quite a bit lower than what the MSRP on them is

Quote:

I'm going to play with this this weekend. I have mine directly on axis to the main listening position, but I wanted to toe them out a little more and see what happens. With the top end rolling off like they do it's only going to get worse the more they're off-axis to where you're listening.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #2815 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

This new company, Reaction Audio, is shipping their dual 12" sealed subs and will soon be shipping the dual 15" version. There is a thread in the sub section. The owner has been active on there and he seems like a good guy.
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/bps-212-powered-subwoofer

I wonder what driver(s) they're using. Sealed design with a 200rms amp! No way that's getting down to what they say. 24db is their -3dB point...and that's if they're telling the truth. With a sealed setup and very little power I have to wonder about that

post #2816 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

I wonder what driver(s) they're using. Sealed design with a 200rms amp! No way that's getting down to what they say. 24db is their -3dB point...and that's if they're telling the truth. With a sealed setup and very little power I have to wonder about that

Perhaps when you consider room gain. My 15" sealed has an F3 of 32HZ and it seems to handle 20hz pretty competently.
post #2817 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

What amp are you using? What driver and what's the enclosure size?

Edit: Just realized their setup on that website is weird. Both the $399 and $699 say dual 12" so I just saw the $699 said dual 12". Anyways, for a dual 12" sealed for $400 that's not terrible, but I'd bet they aren't super sensitive drivers with the xmax/xmech anywhere near a Dayton Ultimax like yours. Not to mention it's a smaller enclosure for less cone area, which will hurt efficiency even more down low. Dual 12's with a 200rms amp just seem crazy to me. Why the hell are plate amps so expensive when you can get a Crown, Behringer, etc for $250-300. Charge and extra $100 for the sub and put 4-5x the power to it in my opinion. I'd like to see what people get measurement wise for these though. Interesting, that's for sure. Love to see some in room measurements, ground plane, etc.

post #2818 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

What amp are you using? What driver and what's the enclosure size?

300 watt Class D plate amp. 24" cube.
post #2819 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

300 watt Class D plate amp. 24" cube.

Not sure of the driver specs on the Reaction sub, but you're about the same cone area, with more power and a much larger enclosure. He mentioned they were were fairly efficient drivers, but that could mean anything to different people. How about you buy the Reaction sub and send me you Ultimax? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Still, the Reaction setup is nice looking. DIY is still going to be cheaper, but for most that don't have the time or products to properly build/paint/etc then this could be a nice sub. Looks similar to Epik's stuff and those were great (besides the amps). Can't wait to see what kind of SPL #'s it has

post #2820 of 3730 Old 01-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30

Since we're talking about subs. I finally got my XS30 yesterday... Planning on putting it through it's paces over the weekend. But, I did a quick calibration and threw on WWZ (skipped to the grenade part in the walled city) and I can tell I am going to thoroughly enjoy this thing. It is insane what I was missing before with my old garbage sub.

Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon x2000 | EMP E55Ti | E56Ci | E55Wi | PSA XS30
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page