Def Tech 1000 vs. Orbs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been curious about this for awhile and figured I'd go ahead and post a thread to see if anybody has any advice or recommendations between the two speaker systems... basically looking to replace/upgrade the 5.1 onkyo HTIB i have in the bedroom, and after looking around at different ones and reading up on it, seems like i'm coming down to two choices:

1) Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000's (4 1000's, and 1000 center), or

2) "People's Choice" Orb speaker system

i like the style of the orbs, and get the added 8" sub which is nice... but i can't help but wonder if the DefTech's would sound a bit better.

mostly for watching movies (BR on the PS3) and games (360)

really appreciate any suggestions before i make the plunge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Orbs are excellent speakers, but they really can't move as much air as a 2-way design. Orbs are cheap to ship so you could order a pair and then head down to your local BB for the Def Tech and compare them in your home. You might like how Orbs sound over the Def Tech's or vice versa. Another option are the Mirage Nanosats which Vann's has for an excellent price right now.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2009, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks a lot buddy, really appreciate the reply man.

i was reading up on the orb's and see that they have a 30 day free trial, so you can set them up and check 'me out and return if you're not quite happy, which sounds like a pretty good deal... again, love the design of the orbs and think they'd be a great upgrade to my bedroom 5.1 speakers... but feel like the Def Techs would probably sound better overall.

decisions, decisions...

goes to check out these nanosats you mentioned to see what they're priced at... been looking in the $1k range or so.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

any other great 5.1 speakers you'd recommend looking at for a mid-sized bedroom?

just looked up the nanosats on vanns website, and they're priced in the range i was hoping for... well, there's the Nanosat Prestige 5 system for $949 which isn't bad... then i'd just have to look around for a decent sub to go with the onkyo 706 i've been eyeballing - which seems to have the features that would suit me.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM

am in similar position..did you decide one way or other?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-18-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've never heard the Orbs, so I can't comment.

But the DefTech are excellent speakers.

I would swap though, use ProMonitor 800 for the rears and upgrade the centre to a ProCenter 2000.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, i actually ended up going with the Def Tech's after listening to them in a local magnolia... ended up just going with the ProCinema 600's for my bedroom, and i seriously couldn't be more impressed with them or the sound those little guys manage to pump out... sounds effin awesome.

still like the style'n of the Orb's, but i'm kind of lazy and didn't want to go through the whole hassle of ordering them... setting it all up, listening to it, and if i didn't like then having to return it... get refunded, and then be back at square one and go shopping around once again.

..............but that's just me.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 AM

I ordered the Orb Mod2 system to try audition it at home...i will be pairing this with Onkyo 706. my listening room is really a family room , 12x15 with fire place in one corner and it opnes to the dining area. I think it will be easier to place the orbs than the def tech. just speculating at this time tho.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page