Best $1500 value for L/R/C/Surr - KEF vs. Canton vs. Aperion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help me make a rash decision that I will only regret a little...

I'm browsing all the closeouts / discontinued models, and trying to get the most bang for my buck.

In my previous theater, I had Atlantic Technology speakers, I think the 350 THX. I was never really thrilled with them. Maybe it was the room, but they seemed very flat / bland.

I'd like very precise imaging and bright sound. This will be for video games, movies, and sports. No music. My surrounds can't be mounted on the walls due to room issues, plus I don't want to go the dipole route again. So I'm looking into bookshelf-type speakers for surrounds.

Some possibilities:
  1. Canton GLE system. I remember listening to some Cantons like 10 years ago, and thinking they sounded terrific. Of course I have no idea which ones I heard... At accessories4less, I could get the GLE 409 for fronts, 405 center, and 406's for surrounds, for $1470 total. (MSRP would have been 2450.) 3-way fronts, 2 1/2-way center.
  2. KEF. From onecall, you can get IQ9's front, IQ6C center, and IQ3 for surrounds, for a total of $1,360. ($2350 MSRP.) 3-way fronts and center.
  3. Aperion. The most appropriate choice for me seemed to be 5T fronts, 5C center, and 4B satellites - $1600 total. Fronts are 2-way, center is 3-way.
  4. Swans. From audioinsider, the only bookshelf for surrounds seemed to be the D2.1SE. Coupled with Diva 4.2 fronts and center, the total is $1600. Seems like too much money for the surrounds though...

Any comments? I will get a sub too.

I might be leaning towards the KEF speakers. The specs seem a bit better, and I trust onecall...

Thanks!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess another point is that the Canton's strength seems to be the lowend, whereas the KEF's seem better at the high frequency. Assuming I add an SVS sub, the low end of the mains doesn't seem as important.

Mike
post #3 of 3 Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM

axiom audio is worth considering.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page