I am currently looking for a decent entry-level home theater system. After spending countless hours in this forum, online-shops and researching reviews I concluded I will focus on a speaker system and purchase a matching receiver separately. I would be glad to hear some opinions about these two speaker systems in comparison.
- Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 Home Theater System (MSRP $999)
- Energy Take Classic (MSRP $599)
(Sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet...)
- A 5.1 system should be sufficient.
- Price limit for speakers intended around 400.
- Preferably small satellites (space limitations). I am aware of the disadvantages of the small speakers, but am trying to find a system which reduces them to a minimum.
- I hope to find something that does not introduce a lot of its own sound to what I hear. Basically, I do not want any plastic screamers. However, I also felt like the current Onkyo & Yamaha HT systems (Receveier + Speaker Set) from $400-800 did not offer what I am looking for. It is obvious, that I cannot expect miracles at this price range & size, but the Energy Take 5 Classic Set shows it is possible.
- For now, the system will be used in a fairly small room (around 10x11x8), which is open on one side to kitchen/dining area. In the future, I consider upgrading to 7.1, but most likely move the whole setup to a bedroom (and restart for a 7.1 setup).
- The system will be used for Movies, TV, PS3, & Music (not at Party volumes).
The set that appeared to most likely fulfill my requirements is the Energy Take 5 Classic. However, it is hard to find it close to my budget (list $599). Thus, I went through many online shops to find something comparable at a lower price (or the Energy set, of course). I got fairly excited as I found the Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 System for $399 plus around $50 s/h. There seem to be advantages to either system. So far, I was only able to find countless positive reviews etc. and a setup to actually experience the system for the Energy's. If anyone here can give input about the apparently new "Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 Home Theater System", that would help me a lot: Reviews, Experience, Opinions, Info about the manufacturer/quality in general, or anything else.
This is, what I see as advantages for both:
- small speakers
- MDF instead of plastic
- tweeter in all satellites
Pros for Energy Take 5 Classic:
- Tons of positive reviews & recommendations
- look better/cleaner (my opinion)
- Could hear them and liked them
Pros for Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 System:
- Bigger satellites & drivers (4" vs. 3") than Energy
- Bigger & more powerful sub (10" 500W vs. 8" 200W)
- The PA appears as the better compromise in size to reduce disadvantages of a satellite setup. Judging by the numbers they should deliver a little more punch than the Energy's and should be better at filling the room with sound. I would prefer the more powerful set over the better looking one, if the sound quality in general is comparable.
A long introduction, but I wanted to make it easy for others to see what information I do and don't have. Particularly, anything about PA sound/quality in general and about the specific set is what I am missing.
Thanks a lot!