Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 System vs. Energy Take Classic? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello together,

I am currently looking for a decent entry-level home theater system. After spending countless hours in this forum, online-shops and researching reviews I concluded I will focus on a speaker system and purchase a matching receiver separately. I would be glad to hear some opinions about these two speaker systems in comparison.
  1. Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 Home Theater System (MSRP $999)
  2. Energy Take Classic (MSRP $599)
(Sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet...)

My requirements:
  • A 5.1 system should be sufficient.
  • Price limit for speakers intended around 400.
  • Preferably small satellites (space limitations). I am aware of the disadvantages of the small speakers, but am trying to find a system which reduces them to a minimum.
  • I hope to find something that does not introduce a lot of its own sound to what I hear. Basically, I do not want any plastic screamers. However, I also felt like the current Onkyo & Yamaha HT systems (Receveier + Speaker Set) from $400-800 did not offer what I am looking for. It is obvious, that I cannot expect miracles at this price range & size, but the Energy Take 5 Classic Set shows it is possible.
  • For now, the system will be used in a fairly small room (around 10x11x8), which is open on one side to kitchen/dining area. In the future, I consider upgrading to 7.1, but most likely move the whole setup to a bedroom (and restart for a 7.1 setup).
  • The system will be used for Movies, TV, PS3, & Music (not at Party volumes).
The set that appeared to most likely fulfill my requirements is the Energy Take 5 Classic. However, it is hard to find it close to my budget (list $599). Thus, I went through many online shops to find something comparable at a lower price (or the Energy set, of course). I got fairly excited as I found the Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 System for $399 plus around $50 s/h. There seem to be advantages to either system. So far, I was only able to find countless positive reviews etc. and a setup to actually experience the system for the Energy's. If anyone here can give input about the apparently new "Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 Home Theater System", that would help me a lot: Reviews, Experience, Opinions, Info about the manufacturer/quality in general, or anything else.

This is, what I see as advantages for both:
  • small speakers
  • MDF instead of plastic
  • tweeter in all satellites

Pros for Energy Take 5 Classic:
  • Tons of positive reviews & recommendations
  • look better/cleaner (my opinion)
  • Could hear them and liked them

Pros for Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 System:
  • Bigger satellites & drivers (4" vs. 3") than Energy
  • Bigger & more powerful sub (10" 500W vs. 8" 200W)
  • The PA appears as the better compromise in size to reduce disadvantages of a satellite setup. Judging by the numbers they should deliver a little more punch than the Energy's and should be better at filling the room with sound. I would prefer the more powerful set over the better looking one, if the sound quality in general is comparable.

A long introduction, but I wanted to make it easy for others to see what information I do and don't have. Particularly, anything about PA sound/quality in general and about the specific set is what I am missing.

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, no one has answered yet, but there's something I would like to add:

I found the "EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System" for under $500 (on audioholics.com). The speakers are larger (I'm slowly moving to the bookshelf speakers), but still compact. They go all the way down to almost 60 Hz, which is a great improvement over the other two systems (somewhere around 100-120 Hz).

Does anyone know something about this system or the PA Monitor 4.0?

I found a review here in the forum, but maybe someone can give me an opinion about how the systems compare.

Thanks!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. I pulled the trigger on the EMP HTP 351 5.1 set without hearing it before (I know that's not the best way to buy speakers...). I could not resist after reading opinions and comparing prices. It just seems more like the system I was looking for and I did not want to miss out on the special holiday sale for $489 & with free shipping (which is about to end anytime soon, similar sales on EMP sets are already unavailable). The list price is around $1300 and it was on sale before for around $800.

Let's hope I won't be disappointed. Though nobody participated so far, I hope this thread helps others with similar questions. I would still be glad to hear opinions.

I will post my opinion on the EMP set when I got everything up & running. First I need to go & find a good deal on a receiver...

Cheers.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM

I'm not anywhere near audiophile, and I could use some help/info to. I've been looking for a good setup for my theater. I was also looking at the Premier Acoustic Monitor 4.0 system, but after I found your post I looked into the EMP HTP 371 7.1 set and noticed the company is based 35 mins from my house! So I decided to pull the trigger as well (after reading other reviews of course) What are your thoughts on the system? Any trouble blending the sub with the speakers? (one negative I read in one post but positive in others...) I've also read it's more suited to music then movies, then movies and acoustic music but not vocals. Granted some of these reviews I read were on similar speaker models, so I'm not too worried. Anyway any info and experience you can offer from the setup would be great. At least you'll have someone else to talk about the system. My system should be here Friday I hope (unless they let me pick it up locally)!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Good choice ;-)

I am very happy with the system so far. Using it with a Marantz 4002 ($300 new) and a PS3. While at the moment it is set up in a small room, I am convinced it has more than enough power for a medium sized room. I am still waiting for my speaker stands to bring the fronts & rears to the right height.

Since I would not describe myself as audiophile, I cannot really give an "expert" review. However, I am critical and convinced to have made the right choice. After breaking in the system, there was a felt improvement in the balance of the sound throughout the frequencies... Particularly the stereo mode (plus sub) with music surprised me positively. Sound with movies is what I hoped for. Don't have a real comparison, though...

Used the auto-setup and had no problems. What I changed though is that the Marantz sets the front & rear speakers as large, so I changed that to small and set the crossover at 80khz (was it khz?)

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. For the price ($489 & free shipping) it is a great 5.1 package.

EDIT: One important thing to add is the fact that this system is much bigger than the Energy Take Classic. It can not really compete in size, but I figured I prefer the better sound and more volume.
Since the bookshelf sized speakers require some adjustments to my setup (i.e. stands), I will add some more impressions when I got everything in the right place...

Hardy.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM

thanks hardy, yeah I'm loving the system myself, thanks! Still breaking it in though, haven't had the time. I should really just leave it on while I'm at work. Looks like I'm right there with you as i need stands too! haha I think I have things dialed in right where I want them but I needs stands. (I'm opting to build some, should have time this weekend) Will update once I get it done.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page