B&W Panorama thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this in the B&W Owners thread, but thought that maybe its needs its own thread since its a new product and not out yet....

The Panorama has 9 drive units enclosed in an aluminum casing: two bass woofers, two midrange drivers, an aluminum dome tweeter, along with four others that complete the package. $2200

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...rama-soundbar/

The other four drivers are used to provide the other channels, each in its own housing to avoid interference, and the whole unit is driven by six Class D amps, with a total output of 175W. The company says this design, housed in aluminium just like the Zeppelin, produces sufficent bass for even quite large rooms, and only in huge spaces will a subwooofer be needed.

Panorama is also designed to sound good in stereo, and even integrate into multiroom installations: it has three digital inputs - two optical and one electrical - and two stereo analogue inputs. But the company has avoided video switching, in the quest for audio quality.

http://whathifi.com/News/CES-2009-Ba...dbar-solution/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I applaud B&W for reaching out to the "casual" market, but $2,200 for a soundbar is just too damn much. I would rather have a pair of bookshelf speakers from the 600 series or CM1's and call it a day if space was an issue. It would be cheaper and most likely sound infinitely better.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Does this thing do decodng of digital surround signals?

As a soundbar, I guess it has limited appeal because most of us would rather put up with a few wires and separate boxes for better sound. For situations like picture #5, it would be a good application because there is just no room for other speakers to be placed.

I think it's kind of ugly though.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #4 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Does this thing do decodng of digital surround signals?

As a soundbar, I guess it has limited appeal because most of us would rather put up with a few wires and separate boxes for better sound. For situations like picture #5, it would be a good application because there is just no room for other speakers to be placed.

I think it's kind of ugly though.

It can decode DD and DTS.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/10...bar-and-xt8-s/

post #5 of 19 Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

It can decode DD and DTS.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/10...bar-and-xt8-s/

What's the point that it can't do the new decoding foramts. $2200 is a lot of money for a sound bar.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 PM

It's a very Hi-End indeed...
But I think I'll be good with Marantz or Denon soundbar for about $400-$500.

--
post #7 of 19 Old 06-05-2009, 02:01 PM

i can't believe this thing doesn't have hdmi inputs and a hqv chip...this shows you what chinese made b&w is all about...crap.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedankone View Post

i can't believe this thing doesn't have hdmi inputs and a hqv chip...this shows you what chinese made b&w is all about...crap.

This is obviously a design issue and it being "chinese made" has absolutely no bearing on this. As if it was "UK made", that would relieve these issues.

I agree it definitely needs HDMI inputs, and particularly because it should have also included HD audio processing such as Dolby-HD and DTS-HD (unless B&W thinks high-resolution audio would be lost on this quality of speaker), but why would it need a "hqv" chip? The thing doesn't even have video outputs!
post #9 of 19 Old 06-05-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn View Post

This is obviously a design issue and it being "chinese made" has absolutely no bearing on this. As if it was "UK made", that would relieve these issues.

I agree it definitely needs HDMI inputs, and particularly because it should have also included HD audio processing such as Dolby-HD and DTS-HD (unless B&W thinks high-resolution audio would be lost on this quality of speaker), but why would it need a "hqv" chip? The thing doesn't even have video outputs!

HDMI still isnt standardised, and is really a variant of DVI so what is the point of puting HDMI in everything if no one can decide that ALL HDMI devices carry sound along with vidio Via HDMI.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #10 of 19 Old 06-06-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

HDMI still isnt standardised, and is really a variant of DVI so what is the point of puting HDMI in everything if no one can decide that ALL HDMI devices carry sound along with vidio Via HDMI.

DVI is video only, which isn't relevant in this case as we've already established the Panorama doesn't have video output.

The reason for adding HDMI to the Panorama is so that it can support HD audio formats, which it doesn't, in no small part due to the fact that it DOESN'T have HDMI.

Not sure where in my post that you got the inference that I'm supporting to "puting HDMI in everything" either because it surely isn't there. Though having said that, that doesn't sound like a bad idea!

So you're also suggesting that because "no one can decide that ALL HDMI devices carry sound" that the Panorama shouldn't have HDMI inputs for devices that do? Yes, you're so right, because there exists a device out there that uses HDMI only for video that I shouldn't be able to connect my Blu-ray, HD-DVD, upscaling DVD, PS3, Xbox 360 and digital cable players to the Panorama. Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

Fact is, any "all-in-one" sound system retailing for more than $2K in my view should have HDMI inputs for the audio AND HDMI output(s) for connecting to the display. Last thing I need is having to connect multiple devices to my display for video AND multiple devices separately to the audio system. Not only is it more unnecessary connections, but it means having to switch inputs on both the display AND the Panorama each time I change sources. Maybe this was a necessity a few years ago, but one of the key benefits of HDMI is to ELIMINATE this hassle.

Having HDMI inputs and output(s) on the Panorama means being able to keep the display on one input and switching source inputs ONLY on the Panorama.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-06-2009, 02:38 PM

I think you guys are missing the point, this is a all in one system for people who don't want the "hassle" of boxes. Is it going to compete with a receiver and 600 series speakers? No way. It is for those that value clean looks but want a premium name with decent sound...which is unlikely to be many of us on this forum. However, I am thinking if it sounds good it would be ideal for my family room where my wife watches her soap operas, no need for a receiver, easier for her to operate. As for HDMI & HD codecs...tey aren't after that market...think of it as a simple tv sound system.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound View Post

$2200 is a lot of money for a sound bar.

It's probably very good, and anyone buying a soundbar (mostly) is not into other audio formats. And in my world, $2,200 isn't a real lot, considering we have a $3,000 3-in-one, custom sizeable LCR, and it doesn't include any amplification.

Again, this looks like a nice product, especially in applications where it's appropriate. Big room? No way. Bedroom? Perfect.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #13 of 19 Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 AM

Well, because of my install of over the fireplace and built ins on side wall, my intall is going to run 2000 and I will have a patch a ton of drywall.

I am looking at a sound bar. I was looking at B&w speakers and was all set to buy when I go the quote for 2000 for just install.

Just dont feel the need to spend 500 on sound in the family room.

any thoughts on this???
post #14 of 19 Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 AM

5000 on sound for family room...
post #15 of 19 Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
does anyone here own one of these as i am thinking of buying one, but would like to hear from first hand experience. I would probably have to travel a fair distance to get to hear one for myself as not everyone keeps b&w in stock, well atleast where i live. As far as i know already is that they look good and would suit my slimline wall mounted led tv and lounge room. Unfortunately thats all i know.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #16 of 19 Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 AM

I have one installed for about 2 months now.
Sounds great. Paired with a Panasonic V54.
Great soundstage. Only difficulty is passing high quality optical cables behind the mounting bracket.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-27-2009, 11:07 AM

We have this set up in the store and to be honest, it sounds pretty dang good! I would say as good or better than 3 (+2?) M1s. And it plays much lower. It really does pretty good with surround effects if you have it in the right room. The "right" room for this thing is one with sidewalls that are not too far from the speaker and are roughly equidistant from the listening position. Your average bedroom would be ideal. For wide open spaces like my living room/dining room/kitchen/etc.... probably would not have much surround effect because it relies on reflections somewhat and with no sidewalls nearby to reflect anything, it would not be as optimal as it was designed to be. (The owners manual explains this)

But it does sound good. And if you have a room where it would work, and you do not have the ability or the desire to wire up a proper surround system, use this, add a decent subwoofer, and hook up your TV, Satellite, Cable, DVD, Bluray, Xbox, PS3, or whatever else you want, and enjoy it. It will actually play pretty loud in a smaller room. I was impressed. As far as price? This is a niche product for a niche market. We have sold a few. I might get one for the bedroom when that time comes. The people who are shopping at B&W dealers and are looking for a solution like this will be happy to pay for it.

The same argument can be made for the Zeppelin. $600 for an iPod speaker? Really?!! But it is the best sounding iPod speaker out there so why not $600? The Panorama is likely the best sounding "soundbar" out there. So why not $2200? B&W is not expecting this product to carry the rest of the company. This is not their "bread and butter" product. They do not need to sell a bazillion of them. It is what it is. Like it or leave it. I, for one, like it.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Hello!

I just had my B&W Panorama repaired at a authorised service center. I got it back today. When I turned it on, it said K-Lock in the display. I recon this means key lock. The buttons on the front panel does not do anything, the remote control will not work. How do I fix this? I could not find anything about this in the instructions manual. Please help me with this.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-25-2013, 01:22 PM

Were you ever able to resolve this?  I'm having the same issue.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page