Help! - been reading for hours - Infinity Primus or Klipsch Synergy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will be my first set of decent speakers and I am on a budget. Looking for a 5.1 setup. I set out to buy Polk and have reconsidered. I know that there are many fans of all the brands that I am considering, so I need some help from people that know.

I have been considering Polk Monitor (closeout specials) & TSI, Klipsch Synergy, Infinity Primus.

My equipment:
Room is about 13’ x 17’
Onkyo TX-SR706 Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BD55 Bluray
XBOX360
DirecTV HDDVR
50” Plasma
Usage will be about 60% movies/TV, 20% gaming, 20% music.

Polk -- I listened to the Polk Monitor (60, CS1, 30, PSW111 all on closeout except the sub) and TSi (400, CS10, 100, PSW111) they sounded good. But, they didn’t make me say “I’ve got to have them” like the Polks that I had heard 15 years ago.

Klipsch Synergy -- The sales guy demo’d the Klipsch for me. Room filling sound - more low end, very clear highs, loud if asked to be but clear at lower levels also. I was impressed and like they way that they sound.
Fronts: F2
Center: C2
Rears: B2 or S2 --- which would be the better choice?
Sub: SUB10

Priced in my budget below 1K
Am I being blinded by a discounted price?

Infinity Primus – 2 sets closeout pricing
Closest place to demo the fronts & center is about a 2 hour drive (rears & sub online) – closest place to demo all of it is about a 4 hour drive.
Set 1
Fronts: P362
Center: PC250 (PC350 won’t fit)
Rears: P152
Sub: PS210

Set 2
Fronts: PC252
Center: PC250
Rears: P152
Sub: PS210

Is it worth the drive time to listen to the Infinity Primus?
Do the Primus speakers sound more like the Polk or Klipsch?
Given that I like the Klipsch sound, should I like the Primus speakers or will I be disappointed in them?
Is the Klipsch set worth the extra money over the Infinity set?

I had Infinity Reference series in my car and really loved them over the Polk’s.
I would appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 PM

It worth the drive time to listen to any speakers. (If you have the time)
post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post

It worth the drive time to listen to any speakers. (If you have the time)

LOL pls.... just stop being ridiculous. We're talking about $1k a set here not like
$4k and upward.

Unless you're a bum and have lots of time to waste.

To the OP, just get the Klipsch. Since you already listened to it and like it. I say go for it. This is the entry lvl anyway. Which mean you will upgrade them in a year or 2. Dont be too hard on yourself. A quick look online shows how they compare and they are both again entry setup.

Have you looked at the Icon package? Here in Canada you can get a whole 5.1 set for less than $1000. This package includes VF-36 mains which sound a bit better than the F2.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Having personally heard both- and touring the harman campus and meeting the guys that made the Primus/tss/cascade/etc line-I would go with the Infinity.
Sound better at any volume and you don't get the bright harshness in the upper fq's. The primus line is really good for the price. I own klipsch too, so not bashing them, just saying the primus would be my first choice.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM

They both sound fine, but I would give the SQ edge to the Infinity, the one place the Klipsch wins out would be dynamic capability. The highs on the Klipsch slant it more towards more heavily produced and high-energy music, whereas the Primus are more well rounded.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I like the Klipsch, but I would probably go with the C3 for the center.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkevin View Post

Having personally heard both- and touring the harman campus and meeting the guys that made the Primus/tss/cascade/etc line-I would go with the Infinity.
Sound better at any volume and you don't get the bright harshness in the upper fq's. The primus line is really good for the price. I own klipsch too, so not bashing them, just saying the primus would be my first choice.

+1

Listened to both. The Synergy were nice at first, but after some extended listening, the highs became too tiring to my ears.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #8 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I got the infinity setup over the weekend with the P362's up front. Got a great price and very happy with them so far.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally I like the Polks. The infinity's have always sounded to bright, hurt my ears. The Klipsch that I have owned in the past sounded good but did not last long, speaker crackle and no support.

So, I stick with the Polks. Hey, I love the sound they produce. Not too bright and solid mids to my ears. But I do stay away from their subs.

And the clincher for me, is that when I have run into problems, like needing to replace a x over, my fault, I can drop a dime and get one within a week. Someone puts a finger through the tweeter, I can get one within a week, covered under warranty no less. And I told them what happened! No charge.

And, did I say, I like the sound.

CS1000p
RT2000i l/r
f/x500i
SurroundBar

And 12 zones, 9 indoors and 3 outdoors, of Polk speakers.

And don't take me the wrong way, please. For the money, I could not beat the deals on places like eBay for all of the speakers, and the many I have given away and bought for family.

I really do like the sound. And I love the customer support. How many outfits do any of you know of that will get you a 6 year old x over or tweeter within a weeks time. That speaks volumes in my book.

And get this, if they run out of those old stock x overs, they will send me the schematics to have one built!

I apologize for my little fan boy rant. You need to get the speakers that sound good to your ears. Mine like the Polks.

Mike
post #10 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM

i have a system consisting of a sub 10, some f2s, a c2, s2 surrounds and a pair of b2s for the rear..for the price its pretty great. i paid $1400 about a year ago and the package can be found in canada these days (minus the b2s) for under a grand.. theyre running off a 7x120 watt pioneer receiver and they fill my 12x20 ft room fairly nicely.. i am probably 80% movie/tv and 20% music... the f2s have great low end when listening to music...

i will say that im thinking of adding a 2nd sub10 this week though for some extra oomph when listening to movies

all told you can certainly find better speakers, but youll be paying considerably more in increasing increments for small increases in performance, which you may or may not even notice..

ps i should caveat all this by saying that i live in a condo and so dont do *that* much listening at reference level...
post #11 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

How about SVS? Good reviews, and solid customer support.

Just a thought.

Mike
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page