New guy looking to upgrade.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Tattoofun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new here so I'll give you a short description of who I am and what I'm working with. My name is Eric, I'm 28 years old. I'm in the car buis(not sales) Been doing it for a little over eight years. Eight years with Ford and a few months now with Nissan. Advid motorcycle rider and Triumph fanatic/tack whore. I busted my ass when I was young and own my own home and have no credit debit. Good job me. Anyways, now I am looking to upgrade my front pair of speakers.

I have a large living room/dinning room with connected kitchen and hallway. Whole area is about 15'w and 30 or so deep. Its an odd shape so giving exact dimensions is near impossible. Previously I had been running an Integra DTR 5.2 but upgraded last summer to the Yammy RX-V1800. TV is Samsung 61" DLP with LED, Toshiba HD DVD(yeah yeah). Subwoofer is NHT 12" something or other, cant remember the modle number but I have two and only one works. Actually I have three NHT subs and only one works. For rear speakers I'm running Energy Take series LCR, surround speakers are B&W Solids with both pairs mounted to the ceiling. Front Speakers; I was using B&W CC6 for center and am still using B&W DM602s. All of monster cables best and audio quest wires. ( I have a GREAT connection for that stuff)

My question would be, I want to upgrade the front speakers to the Energy RC-70s. I have the Energy LCR as the center already as I bought that last fall. BUT on Energys website, they are saying max power is at 225w for the RC-70. And being and the Yammy runs 125w to the front pair would I starve the RCs when it comes time to blow something up on screen? I know the reciever will run the speakers but how well will it run them?
Thanks a lot for reading!

"Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas" -Ash.

Xbox tag= XxxTATTOOxxX


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tattoofun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blued888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoofun View Post

My question would be, I want to upgrade the front speakers to the Energy RC-70s. I have the Energy LCR as the center already as I bought that last fall. BUT on Energys website, they are saying max power is at 225w for the RC-70. And being and the Yammy runs 125w to the front pair would I starve the RCs when it comes time to blow something up on screen? I know the reciever will run the speakers but how well will it run them?
Thanks a lot for reading!

First off, welcome to the AVS Forum.

The Energy RC-70s are known to dip down to almost 4-ohms,

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speaker...gy/index4.html

If you play things really really loud, you might have a problem and might need to consider external amplification. On the other hand if the towers are going to be driven to moderate listening levels only, you'll be fine.

What I don't like about almost all manufacturers is that they don't properly list down impedance ratings of the speakers. You would only be able to view them on select review sites.

Btw, do consider Monoprice, even though you have great connections for getting Monster Cable, you may still find cables at Monoprice significantly cheaper.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
blued888 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Tattoofun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm all stocked up on the cable right now, but I'll definatly keep that in mind if I ever add more components. But I think I've pretty much added all I'm going to add as far as that goes. I read that review on the RC_70s but I guess I didnt look at that last page. I'm a younger guy that plays drums and listens to metal and loud movies, but I think everyones perception of loud is different. I'm not looking to play 114db by any means, but I do like to "expierience" a movie.

"Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas" -Ash.

Xbox tag= XxxTATTOOxxX


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tattoofun is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Newbie
 
neauone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems to me that what your really looking for are speakers which will give you the true sound you crave when watching an action movie or scifi movie, a speaker system which will replicate what is seen on the screen. That being the case I think you should consider the Definitive Technology amplified speakers, go to a dealer and hear them for yourself. If you can bring a movie you really would like to hear come to life. IMHO these speakers were made for theater and the theater experience. Threre are others no doubt that will fill the bill, but go and have a listen.
neauone is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Newbie
 
neauone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
P.S. Any speaker system is really only as good as the Technology behind it, i.e. power source, receiver etc. Not to mention the acoustics of the room, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, these are things which will make a difference in the overall sound of any speaker system. Often times we go to listen to speakers, and the retailer run's them through a 5-10k system to replicate the sound and sell any particular set of speakers, it was something I thought you should consider when purchasing, and if you know someone who has a particular surrround system you are fond of consider the entire system.
neauone is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Tattoofun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a few pairs of Definative speakers actually. Had one pair of Mirage as well back in the day. i actually thought they were to boomy as a stand a lone speaker. I want the mids and highs to sound great and let the low end be the job of the sub. The price I can get the Energy for would make you sick so I'm pretty stuck on getting the Energy. I was just wondering on what size of Energy would almost "outgrow" the yammys capabilities.

"Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas" -Ash.

Xbox tag= XxxTATTOOxxX


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tattoofun is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Tattoofun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post

P.S. Any speaker system is really only as good as the Technology behind it, i.e. power source, receiver etc. Not to mention the acoustics of the room, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, these are things which will make a difference in the overall sound of any speaker system. Often times we go to listen to speakers, and the retailer run's them through a 5-10k system to replicate the sound and sell any particular set of speakers, it was something I thought you should consider when purchasing, and if you know someone who has a particular surrround system you are fond of consider the entire system.

Very true. The whole area of my house where that system is has a tile floor. granted I have big sofas, nice big rugs, swoopy curtains and lots of other stuff to kill the standing waves. I do need some corner treatment for the front and maybe a few difusers on the ceiling or on my back wall. Over all its not a bad sounding room, but its not a killer sounding room. Due to the odd shape it definatly poses its own challenges. I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight of it. I'd do it now, but I'm at work and photobucket is firewalled.


I converted my spare bedroom into a project studio so I have a bit of understanding as far as room acustics go. That room has been treated with all sorts of stuff and for a 12x10 room, it sounds much bigger than it actualyl is when its recorded.

"Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas" -Ash.

Xbox tag= XxxTATTOOxxX


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tattoofun is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
djgcue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoofun View Post

I'm new here so I'll give you a short description of who I am and what I'm working with. My name is Eric, I'm 28 years old. I'm in the car buis(not sales) Been doing it for a little over eight years. Eight years with Ford and a few months now with Nissan. Advid motorcycle rider and Triumph fanatic/tack whore. I busted my ass when I was young and own my own home and have no credit debit. Good job me. Anyways, now I am looking to upgrade my front pair of speakers.


Cool, I use to work for NNA when it was HQ'ed in Gardena, CA. I worked in Product Planning. Than I worked for Volvo (Ford owned) when it was HQ'ed in Irvine, CA but Volvo recently moved back to Rocklegih, NJ.

I heard from my friends still at NNA that they were hiring alot of people from Ford.
djgcue is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Tattoofun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Haha, they need to. Quite frankly NNA is a freakin joke compared to Ford. When I first came over here, I was like "what do you mean the part number may not be the part number that warranty uses. How do you have to different part numbers for the same part, in the same company? Ford Oasis program is FAR AND AWAY better than NNA. I think everyone should take a page out of Fords book when it comes to parts and warranty claims.

"Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas" -Ash.

Xbox tag= XxxTATTOOxxX


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tattoofun is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
djgcue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoofun View Post

Haha, they need to. Quite frankly NNA is a freakin joke compared to Ford. When I first came over here, I was like "what do you mean the part number may not be the part number that warranty uses. How do you have to different part numbers for the same part, in the same company? Ford Oasis program is FAR AND AWAY better than NNA. I think everyone should take a page out of Fords book when it comes to parts and warranty claims.

hahhaa thats because Fords are always "Fixed Or Repaired Daily". j/k couldn't pass it up.
djgcue is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Tattoofun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I ordered the RC-70's Will be three weeks or so until they get here though. But for the ammount I paid for them, I guess I can wait....although I wont like to wait.

"Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas" -Ash.

Xbox tag= XxxTATTOOxxX


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tattoofun is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off