Slim Aluminum Towers vs. medium floorstanders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but love music.
I want to upgrade my HT speakers for my living room (14x18ft). Currently I have Polks -- not bad, but I want to improve the sound, specially music.

As my space is limited, and want the bass sound I think the new slim towers are my best choice. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR906.
My options so far are:
1) B & W XT4s and XTC center.
2) Definitive Mythos STS's and Mythos Center
3) Klipsch WF34s and Center
4) Perhaps Klipsch xt48

Movies are great, even with my polks ( 2 Monitor 40 bookshelfs, CS2 center and 4 rt75 surrounds) Music however is not as good. My SACD, DVD-Audio and Blu-ray music is growing, so now music is my priority.

I have listened Klipsch and Definitive at Tweeter and BestBuy Magnolia, and I prefer the sound of the towers over the bookshelfs.

Can you please give me some feedback on the pros and cons of these speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
did you mention a subwoofer ? Even towers can be helped by adding a subwoofer to the mix, expecially thin small speaker towers. Towers alone (without a sub) will generally sound "better" than bookshelf speakers, its a matter of cone area to reproduce lower frequency sound. Add a sub to handle the low stuff, and difference disappears.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

did you mention a subwoofer ? Even towers can be helped by adding a subwoofer to the mix, expecially thin small speaker towers. Towers alone (without a sub) will generally sound "better" than bookshelf speakers, its a matter of cone area to reproduce lower frequency sound. Add a sub to handle the low stuff, and difference disappears.

Good post.

Nearly all music or movie systems will benefit by adding a sub, for reasons that have been beat to death in here. I would go for the best quality sound (from 80 Hz and up) and add a subwoofer. Also, you haven't really revealed your music listening habits, and the speakers on your list are all good, but very different. I like B&W, but they won't play as loud or be as "crisp" as Klipsch, for example. It becomes a matter of taste. If you listen loud, look at power handling, but, more importantly, sensitivity. Not to leave Definitive out, it's a good brand, too.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #4 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.
I already have a Polk subwoofer. It's good for movies, but not for music. I know I need something better, so I'll upgrade it later, as these toys are expensive.

My listening habits: 60% music, 40% Movies.
My music tastes: Hard Rock/Classic Metal : 40%; Pop 20%; Spanish/Flamenco guitar 15%; Jazz 15%; Classic 10%.

Two more questions:
I have a decent Onkyo receiver (NR906): 145W/channel
I've read some Receivers can be catalogued as bright or neutral, so they need to be matched with bright or neutral speakers, respectively.
1) Do you know what kind is my Onkyo, and then what speakers will be the best match?

I know listening is the best way to choose speakers, but with so many options in the market, I’d like to reduce my to-listen checklist in a smart way, by web-research and expert advice, as I finally got it here.
2) Are there any physical properties in slim aluminum towers that prevent them to sound as better as a full-size floostander?
post #5 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagel View Post

I know listening is the best way to choose speakers, but with so many options in the market, I’d like to reduce my to-listen checklist in a smart way, by web-research and expert advice, as I finally got it here.
2) Are there any physical properties in slim aluminum towers that prevent them to sound as better as a full-size floostander?

I don't know about your first question, but honestly I wouldn't worry too much about that. A receiver won't influence sound nearly as much as a pair of speakers.

For the second question, there are definitely reasons a full-size floorstander should sound better than a slim "stylized" one. The cabinet will be bigger, so it will typically have bigger drivers (6-7" woofers vs. 3-4" ones in the slim towers). These bigger drivers do a better job with the lower end of the midrange and the high bass that your sub won't handle (around 50-250 Hz is the area I'm talking about, roughly). Also, the traditional tower speakers usually have cabinets that are much more reinforced and structurally sound, to avoid any cabinet resonances caused by the speakers. I'd figure out a budget if you haven't already (didn't read the post that closely to be honest), and listen to some speakers in that price range (and maybe a tad over that range) and see what sort of sound you like, most manufacturers have a sound they strive for, and some speakers will be better suited to certain types of music than others.

Personally, I listen to a lot of rock music, and I really like Paradigm's speakers. People describe their sound as bright, open, neutral, and even harsh, to name a few. It just depends on what you like. The Paradigms do tend to focus on the higher frequencies; they tend to have crisp clear highs, sometimes at the expense of bass performance (and arguably midrange as well in some cases).

Unfortunately I haven't heard any of the speakers you listed, but I do know that Klipsch tends to make brighter sounding speakers as well.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the difference in sound between a bookshelf and tower will be nearly eliminated if you add a decent sub to the speakers, IMO.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Personally if space is at a minimum, i'd look for a 2.1 system. As mentioned earlier, bass is a function of cabinet size and driver cone area, none of which the thin towers possess. They do image very well though, which i contribute to the narrow baffle. The cost of a 2.1 system relative to towers has a few advantages as well.

As far as the bookshelves, less cabinet material reduces cost. Less drivers in a 2way system as opposed to multiple driver towers also reduces cost including the less components needed for the crossover. These manufacturing savings are often used on higher quality drivers which impove SQ in the range the speaker is designed to operate. A well designed subwoofer allows for design to be optimized for it's operating freqency range without the tradeoffs of towers which typically use smaller drivers asked to operate outside of their optimal range. The dedicated amplifier and controls allow for less distortion and the ability to tune the bass to the room, something often overlooked but can be like night and day with music.

Price vs performance, i'd have to say with limited space, a quality 2.1 system will outperform a set of slim towers of equal value. Just something to think about.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I also got paradigms in my list (Studio 60 & 100), but their size might be an issue in my 14x20x8 Ft. living room.
My budget is $3,500 USD for 2 front speakers and a center. By now, I'm fine with my Polk subwoofer and surrounds.
Thanks for the explanation on the advantages of floor standers. This makes me think in another question: I think the reason of 2 and 3 way speakers is to specialize drivers for a frequency range; , I don't think a single driver can have a uniform frequency response between 200 and 20 KHz. Should I care about 1,2 or 3 drivers? I liked more the sound of 3 way driver speakers.
I haven’t gone to a dealer yet, as I don’t want to go with enough information and buy something I don’t need or want. Do hi-fi dealers are as pushy as car dealers?
This weekend I’m planning to go to a dealer and a HT store to audition:
1) B & W XT4s and XTC. I must admit is the looks and B & W’s reputation
2) Definitive Mythos STS towers and Mythos 3 center. I’ve read good reviews on these.
3) Klipsch WF-34s and Center WC-24. I’ve audition it at BestBuy and liked the sound
If time permits, I’ll give it a try to Paradigms, I’ve also have read good things about them? Any model you think might suit my needs?

Thanks! Tony
post #8 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Tony...Don't believe the hype. Here's a measured 2way response using high end drivers.

Attachment 130696

A good dome tweeter or midwoofer can have excellent response and extremely low distortion of all orders throughout it's range. But you'll pay dearly for it. The above graph is from a DIY design that's highly regarded and could be built for about less than $1k. To buy this level of performance prepare to spend 3x that and more.
LL
post #9 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM

Personally, I'd give the Studio 20 and 40's a shot too, since you're looking at Paradigm. (Studio 20's will be under $1k a pair; don't forget you can bargain with the audio shop.) Don't discount their quality simply because they're bookshelf models. (There's actually a nice long thread about towers vs. bookshelves that I've made a post or two in, definitely recommended reading if you're curious, a lot of good points in there for both sides of the argument). I'm looking at getting a pair of Studio 20's and a CC-590. You could probably get some good deals on the outgoing v4 models too, as long as you don't mind the looks of them compared to the new v5. Soundwise, they ought to be really similar, since the drivers are virtually identical. AFAIK, all that's changing is the cabinet, and the surround on the woofers.

Alternatively, a pair of Paradigm's Mini Monitor bookshelves (the model is the budget counterpart to the Studio 20) will run you a bit under $375 a pair; once again a new line is replacing them, so you should be able to get a good deal. Now it's time to get out there a listen to them, and see if the Studio line is worth the extra cash.

Hi fi dealers run the gamut I'm sure, but all the ones I've dealt with were really cool.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. I found a Boston dealer that has Paradigms and B & Ws, so I'll stop by Tomorrow. I thinks is a valid point to give anothe try to high quality bookshelfs.
I'll post my experience later.
Any advise on my first visit to a dealer, like a check-list and dos and donts?
Thanks, Tony
post #11 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Bring some CDs with you that you're familiar with, and understand that if you do buy something, you should be able to get 15% off MSRP, roughly. Also, I assume you'll need some stands if you're getting bookshelf speakers? I know Paradigm's stands tend to be expensive; but I'm sure they're built well. (For reference, I spent $65 on a cheaper pair of stands I ordered online; they don't look nearly as nice as the Paradigm ones, but they saved me at least $100 or so I bet, and the speakers will be going in the back of the room eventually anyway.)

Also, listen to as much stuff as you can. Like I said, you may be happy with the Mini Monitors or something, or maybe you like, say, B&W better than Paradigm (personally, I listened to their 705 bookshelves and wasn't impressed, but that's just me; plus I still want to hear the CM1 and 5's). And if you're happy with a $400 pair of speakers, why get the $1000 pair?

I'd try and listen to the speakers with and without a sub too. IMO a sub can really change how speakers sound (even in the higher frequencies); it's weird.

You said you can afford to spend $3500 on the front 3 speakers? If it were me, I'd consider putting some of that money toward a sub by HSU, PSB, SVS, or Velodyne, to name a few (on a side note, Paradigm's subs aren't very well liked for music; they're much more oriented toward being boomy for movies from what I've heard; if that's what you want, they're not supposed to be too bad). The rear speakers you currently have are probably fine, depending on how much you watch movies and how picky you want to be. Even if you wanted to replace them though, $1200 or so would get you a pair of Mini Monitors for the front, a CC-190 center channel, a pair of Atom Monitors for the rear, and a decent sub by any of the above companies.

Oh, one more important point. I'd consider jotting down some notes as you listen to the speakers (e.g.: guitars sounded good on these, these sound funny in the higher frequencies; stuff like that). I wish I did this last time I went to listen to speakers. You'd be surprised how quickly you forget which speakers are which, and what certain ones sounded like; especially if you listen to a lot of them. With notes, you can come back and tell us what you wrote down, and we can help narrow down your options (or give you new ones) based on that.

Good luck, let us know what you think.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd go with the Klipsch Hands down althouth I prefer the Icons to the WF34s'

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #13 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
The JBL Performance Series aren't floorstanding, unless you also buy the matching subs, they can be stand or wall mounted.
But the 3-way PT800s provide one of the best soundstages I've ever heard, with clean, clear, precise imaging. Very few speakers can match their midbass, all drivers are Titanium.
Three PT800s, or two PT800s and a PC600 center can be had for $3150 from Harman Audio. Sometimes you can even find them for less online.
Here is a full 5.2 set.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Good post.

Nearly all music or movie systems will benefit by adding a sub, for reasons that have been beat to death in here. I would go for the best quality sound (from 80 Hz and up) and add a subwoofer. Also, you haven't really revealed your music listening habits, and the speakers on your list are all good, but very different. I like B&W, but they won't play as loud or be as "crisp" as Klipsch, for example. It becomes a matter of taste. If you listen loud, look at power handling, but, more importantly, sensitivity. Not to leave Definitive out, it's a good brand, too.

LOL crisp with Klipsch? I have owned them and they're not crisp, they're bright.

With B&W you really need a real amp. I dont know about their slim towers( which i never care about), but i have heard 800D with outlaw amp. They sound better than anything i have heard. Too bad i cant afford them.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameXP View Post

LOL crisp with Klipsch? I have owned them and they're not crisp, they're bright.

With B&W you really need a real amp. I dont know about their slim towers( which i never care about), but i have heard 800D with outlaw amp. They sound better than anything i have heard. Too bad i cant afford them.

...that was the most subjective post i have ever read lol.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

I'd go with the Klipsch Hands down althouth I prefer the Icons to the WF34s'

the WF-34's ARE Icons lol
post #17 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but love music.
I want to upgrade my HT speakers for my living room (14x18ft). Currently I have Polks -- not bad, but I want to improve the sound, specially music.

As my space is limited, and want the bass sound I think the new slim towers are my best choice. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR906.
My options so far are:
1) B & W XT4s and XTC center.
2) Definitive Mythos STS's and Mythos Center
3) Klipsch WF34s and Center
4) Perhaps Klipsch xt48

Movies are great, even with my polks ( 2 Monitor 40 bookshelfs, CS2 center and 4 rt75 surrounds) Music however is not as good. My SACD, DVD-Audio and Blu-ray music is growing, so now music is my priority.

I have listened Klipsch and Definitive at Tweeter and BestBuy Magnolia, and I prefer the sound of the towers over the bookshelfs.

Can you please give me some feedback on the pros and cons of these speakers?

Have you also considered the Vienna Acoustic Schonbergs?
post #18 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

the WF-34's ARE Icons lol

Sorry, I just refer them to the Icon's I usually don't keep track of model #'s unless thats the name of the speaker, same goes with the KEF MUON.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #19 of 30 Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there,
I went to a local AV store to check the Definitive STS Mythos towers. I considered them because I have read positive reviews as good choice for music & movies, besides they are very well built, and aesthetic.
I really like the sound of these speakers. The local store had some Jazz and Rock CDs ( Didn’t check Jazz group, but the rock group was Incubus), and the sound was very clear, after balancing the integrated subwoofers, I was very pleased. Then I tried 2 feminine vocals : Ave Maria by Sara Brightman and Norah Jones’ come away with me. I really felt that ‘emotion’ of being close to the singers. It was weird to me, as I’m more rock inclined. .. What I was able to notice well is the soundstage effect I have noticed with other speakers (klipsch, Viennas). Well, this place was bigger and deeper, so maybe that’s the reason.
We also tried movies. This was very good, realistic. Well, I’ve noticed most speakers do well in movies, as most of the audio is dialog, so a decent Center is key.
I’ll go next week to check the B &Ws and Paradigms. This store had KEF floorstanders ( IQ50 and C5). Any opinions on KEFs?

Thanks, Tony
post #20 of 30 Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,
I finally went to a Boston Dealer having B&W and paradigm in exhibit. I spent almost 2 hours listening to paradigm Studio 40 v4, 60 v5, B&W 683 and BW XT4s. I chose guitar (Paco de Lucia & Al DiMeola) SACD and the Paradigm 60s sounded the best to my ears; I even felt that emotion when you are in a live performance. I was biased by B & W prestige and looks, but to my ears, they sounded less lively than Paradigms. I mean B &W sound detail is excellent. Then I tried feminine vocals (Rebecca Pidgeon ) and again Paradigms made me feel a live performance. Finally tried Rock (Deep Purple’s Highway star SACD,) was unbelievable in the Paradigms, I was speechless. That’s weird to me – I’m not very emotional – so this made me very clear Paradigms are better suited for me. I also tried Pink Floyd DSOM SACD, Incredible. Finally I listened to an Aerosmith SACD. Superb! What an experience for a newbie!
Although I’m new to the High-end Audio, I have a good background in electronics and physics, but matching the scientific facts to the real experience, is priceless.
I’ll go again to the Dealer to check again the Studio 60s, and also would like to audition the 100s. v5 are smaller and rounded compared to V4s, which I saw there, but didn’t bother to try. Also Studio 40 bookshelf’s sounded awesome, but the bass lower range was better for the 60s.
I have a question on subwoofers. Can you recommend a good one for music, say under $700 USD and small ( 10/12 inches). Paradigms are not affordable to me by now, but I’m not sure they are the best.

Thanks, Tony
post #21 of 30 Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I would spend at least $500 of that $3500 budget and upgrade the sub (check out the sale at Outlaw) or better yet, spend $700 - $900 and get a Rythmik (F12 or F12SE).

You'll have plenty left to get incredible front two or three and the overall effect will be significant.

post #22 of 30 Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm going to suggest one of HSU's subs (the STF-2, a 10" ported design, is great for music, and easily acceptable in a small to medium sized room for movies, and is around $400). Also, SVS has some comparable subs that are allegedly geared a bit more towards movie viewing (not sure on this claim, haven't heard them myself). Or you could look into an Outlaw sub (as mentioned above), which are coincidentally designed by Dr. Hsu himself.

Don't forget, for the price difference between the Studio 20's and Studio 60's (even after you shell out $400 for a pair of Paradigm's high-end stands), you still have $400 left to buy a sub. So, recap:

Studio 20's + stands + sub = Studio 60's

If you still wind up wanting the 60's, by all means go for it. I just want to make sure you consider all your options. Actually, I'm wondering if I should've made the decision in reverse (buy towers instead of bookshelves and a sub)...I assumed tower speakers were out of my price range, but decided I needed a sub a couple months after buying my Mini Monitors anyway.

If you like Paradigm, but can't afford the Studio 60's new, I'd either look into finding a pair used, or maybe step down a notch or two in the Studio line, or if you still want a new pair of floorstanders, consider the Monitor line.

BTW, glad you liked the Paradigms.
post #23 of 30 Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hello,
I finally went to a Boston Dealer having B&W and paradigm in exhibit. I spent almost 2 hours listening to paradigm Studio 40 v4, 60 v5, B&W 683 and BW XT4s. I chose guitar (Paco de Lucia & Al DiMeola) SACD and the Paradigm 60s sounded the best to my ears; I even felt that emotion when you are in a live performance. I was biased by B & W prestige and looks, but to my ears, they sounded less lively than Paradigms. I mean B &W sound detail is excellent. Then I tried feminine vocals (Rebecca Pidgeon ) and again Paradigms made me feel a live performance. Finally tried Rock (Deep Purple's Highway star SACD,) was unbelievable in the Paradigms, I was speechless. That's weird to me - I'm not very emotional - so this made me very clear Paradigms are better suited for me. I also tried Pink Floyd DSOM SACD, Incredible. Finally I listened to an Aerosmith SACD. Superb! What an experience for a newbie!
Although I'm new to the High-end Audio, I have a good background in electronics and physics, but matching the scientific facts to the real experience, is priceless.
I'll go again to the Dealer to check again the Studio 60s, and also would like to audition the 100s. v5 are smaller and rounded compared to V4s, which I saw there, but didn't bother to try. Also Studio 40 bookshelf's sounded awesome, but the bass lower range was better for the 60s.
I have a question on subwoofers. Can you recommend a good one for music, say under $700 USD and small ( 10/12 inches). Paradigms are not affordable to me by now, but I'm not sure they are the best.

Thanks, Tony

Doesn't surprise me that you were taken with the Paradigms. I've been in this hobby for 15+ years, and they are one of my favorites. Not that they will be for every one, but they do strike an excellent balance between bright and neutral. Just enough extra top end to make things interesting, but not so much as to sound aggressive.

If you are into aesthetics, as it seems you are, definitely check out the Studio .V5s. The Studio line has been long overdue for a facelift and the rounded cabinets + real wood veneer brings them into the current level of fit and finish that is expected of a speaker at this price.

I'm with cjv in his recommendation to go with the 20's or 40's mated to a good quality sub. This combo will give you full frequency range from top to bottom and you have greater flexibility in set-up and placement, which is just about as important as the quality of the speakers themselves.

I've got friend that really likes the Rythmik subs. They sure seem like a good choice for music because they use a feedback loop to limit distortion.
post #24 of 30 Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I auditioned the XT4 when I was looking for a HT set. They didn't impress me. Maybe for music but for HT, there are far cheaper and better alternatives out there. The XT's are just way too polite. Can't comment about the rest as I've never heard them.
post #25 of 30 Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

I’m almost sure I’ll buy the Paradigm Studio 60s v.5 and the matching center CC-590 soon: The dealer is offering me a bundle price of $2,500 for these 3 guys.
The new v.5 Studio series are beautifully crafted. The B&W XT4s are also beautiful, and also pretty damn heavy.

Can you explain to me how a subwoofer can enhance music? I liked the bass in the 60s, as pretty good for my rock music. Can you provide some checklist to go thru while auditioning subwoofers with music? In my experience, any cheap subwoofer delivers for movies.

Thanks, Tony
post #26 of 30 Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

Have you also considered the Vienna Acoustic Schonbergs?

Here's a second vote for the Schonbergs. They're the only "lifestyle" speaker that doesn't sound like a "lifestyle" speaker.

Please donate CPU Power!
AVS Forum Folding @ Home team (55280 )<~~Current Stats
post #27 of 30 Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Schonbergs are in my list, but I cannot find a single place in New England to have those in display. To my ears, the Vienna’s and B&W have a similar sound. I noticed I liked more Klipsch and now Paradigm, which – correct me if I’m wrong – are a bit ‘bright’ speakers. I notice the sound of B&W 683s and XT4s was very similar, hence I think the Schonberg would sound less bright to my taste.
Another slim tower I’d lie to try is the Paradigm Millennia 300.

On subwoofers, are servos better? At least the mechanical feedback ensure the
Response is fast, so this is better for music.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxllxol View Post

Here's a second vote for the Schonbergs. They're the only "lifestyle" speaker that doesn't sound like a "lifestyle" speaker.

I was gonna get those but they're just too weird looking even in my minimalist livingroom. Sounds great though if still too expensive for the sound.
post #29 of 30 Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 AM

In one sitting in exactly the same place I checked out a pair of Studio 60's, Millenia 300's, and a pair of PSB Imagine. The PSB had the best bottom end. Both Paradigm were better defined with a more neutral and airy mids and highs. The 60's had pretty good bottom but noticeably less than the PSB. The Millenia definitely lacks bottom and will NEED a sub. Great WAF though. The Studio 60's were my favorite and seemed well balanced. I don't get what people say about being bright.

Someone on this forum (I believe) suggested I look into Axiom (back in December) and was told that they sound very similar to Paradigm for a lot less $$ because they are Internet Direct and have free shipping and a 30 day in home trial period. I went for the M80's which have been said to be similar to the Studio 100's. I must say that the New Paradigms are sweet looking! I haven't seen or heard the Axioms. I read many reviews all that were Excellent. Customer Service is said to be Excellent. They have a forum on their site where I asked a LOT of questions. ( See "Why Axiom" thread)

I purchased through their Factory Outlet Store at a 10% discount and when I found out there was another 5% discount for ordering 5 or more pieces, I upgraded my order.

Pair of M80's
Pair of QS8 surrounds
VP-150 Center Channel
EP 350
Boston Cherry Finish
$2596 delivered

And then I upped my 350 to an EP 500 for another $403. This should be a killer systemfor under $3000. (just barely) Have to wait 3-4 weeks for shipping from the Outlet Store. Mine should be shipped today!

This is just an option that I would not have know about if someone didn't tell me on a forum like this.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there, just to let you know after careful listening, reading some audio/electronics books and Internet research I've settled on a pair of Paradigm Studio 60s v.5 and cc-490 center. I came to the conclusion the slim towers are not good enough for music, even with a decent subwoofer compared to floor standers. I found the perfect middle-ground in the Studio 60s, as they are less bulky than v.4s and have increased the aesthetics with a very nice rounded shaped that also helps to mitigate internal reflections.

Regards, Tony
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page