Whats the best bookshelf speaker for music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a HT set up I am happy with but I want to add a set of bookshelves to my set up for music only. C&W-Rock, Jazz, Blues. Dennon 2808CI with 2 100 watt Mirage subs.
Thanks folks for your input

There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Liked: 10
I'm very happy with the Usher Be-718. I'm using them for music only without the sub.
post #3 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Whats the best bookshelf speaker for music?

The one you buy and enjoy!!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #4 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I agree with Penngray, Ultimately the best speaker is the one you buy and fully enjoy, which speaker is right for you, that is up to you.

I would suggest going out and listen to as many different ones as you can and choose the ones that sound the best to you. Ideally you would get to demo these speakers in your own listening environment, this is where ID companies come in, as you order them up and if you don't like the way they sound, you ship them back, a select few offer free return shipping, most offer discounted shipping rates to return.

I love my Axiom M22's very detailed which are great for low volume listening. I have also heard terrific things about Ascend Sierra -1's, and Rocket RS250's
post #5 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM

I don't know your budget, but I just purchased a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Domus speakers, and I think they sound fantastic with music. I auditioned a number of speakers (including B&W, Paradigm, Dali, KEF, Monitor, and Totem) with classical and rock, and I found the Sonus to be the best sounding of all for the price. I highly recommend them.
post #6 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Depending on your budget...IMO Paradigm Studio 20's sound nice!
post #7 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM

Budget would be nice to know...

Here are some of my "affordable favorites" (Somewhere around $1,000 per pair)

Paradigm Reference Studio 20
Totem Rainmaker
Totem Mite
Dynaudio Audience 42, 52
ERA Design 4 or Design 5
Vienna Acoustics Haydn

Go find some dealers and listen... That is half the fun..

There are MANY MANY other brands that are of high quality
Monitor Audio
B&W
ProAc
Linn
Klipsch

Go find yourself a small independant dealer and listen to what they have, no matter how goofy or unfamiliar the brand names are. Have a budget and bring your own CDs that you like to listen too.

Listen to a bunch of stuff and then buy what sounds the best for you. There are many Denon dealers so you shouldn't have a problem listening to speakers on something similar to what you have.

Buy what you like the best, let us know what you got and NEVER look back. Oh and for the love of god, don't listen to speakers that are WAY out of your budget. It is just torture.

Good Luck
post #8 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

500.00 is my price point. I am going out to listen to some this weekend. Ushers first as I have heard a lot of good things about them. Eventualy I will also add a tube pre-amp for the choice I think as I want to be able to enjoy my music with my tired old ears and hear all the notes and sounds I am missing now. I guess you could say I am looking for the WOW factor and hope to find it at that price per pair I will post this weekend to let everyone know what I found as I will be taking my music with me along with a notebook where I have made up some questions I will ask and answer.

post #9 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM

You didn't mention your budget, but for inexpensive bookshelves for music only, I added a pair of Energy RC-10's that sound pretty good with a sub.

Not in the same league as some of the others mentioned, but for the price I think they sound great.
post #10 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

500?
I was about to recommend either of these two, and was searching for links before you added the budget

Those two seem like the best bookshelves I've ever seen or read about

However, for that price range I'd definetely get a used pair of bookshelves from audiogon, would never go for new. This is a current deal you should be interested in.
post #11 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Another nod for the paradigm studio 20s.

If there's a German company called Elac. Check out their bookshelf with the jet tweeter. The soundstage is so big, its unbelievable. I wouldn't use them for movies because I like my movies to be forward sounding, but for just two channel listening, these would be up there on my list.

Also, look at studio monitors like the Mackie HR824 mk2 or the HR624 mk2. Well priced active monitors with great sound. They're also really flexible with great setup options.

Research and audition with patience. Check out different technologies and use demo material you're very familiar with.

David Budo
post #12 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Sorry, I posted before I saw your budget.

I forgot to say, look for deals on audiogon. You will probably get more for your money that way.

David Budo
post #13 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM

I'll second that studio monitor mention. I've heard quite a few so-called "hi fi" speakers and a $350 Mackie MR8 sounded as good or better than all of them. No fancy veneers though, but some of these still look pretty great if that's what you're after --- like the Mackie HR's mentioned above.

Those Energy RC-10's are probably the best passive bookshelf's I've heard for the money though. IMO as good as the Paradigm Studio 20's but cost much less.
post #14 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM

I have auditioned B&W 705. They sounds amazing. I would love to have those just for 2.0 music. Also check out the Mirage Omni series. They have HUGE soundstage thats also good for music.

Let us know what you decided to get.
post #15 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MameXP View Post

I have auditioned B&W 705. They sounds amazing. I would love to have those just for 2.0 music. Also check out the Mirage Omni series. They have HUGE soundstage thats also good for music.

Let us know what you decided to get.

The B&W 705s are a little big for my bookshelf but I love their and the 800 serises sound! I already tried the Mirage Omni(as I have there subs and love them) and they were too small they also were way to bright with some elec. guitar SRV passages.

post #16 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post

The B&W 705s are a little big for my bookshelf ........................

If you are really going to use them on a bookshelf(!), you need to audition them that way: on a shelf and close to the wall. Most of the speakers under discussion were designed for stand-mounting, despite the 'bookshelf' categorization. They will sound very different on a wall shelf.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #17 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I know. I will but I will build the nessary shelf behind and above slightly my floor towers Warfdale. They would need to be either complete inclosed or front firing. I have thought about a pretty chrome stand but I think it would be too croweded and not have the back breathing room required to do them justice. Thats why I liked the Ushers.

post #18 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

Yes I know. I will but I will build the nessary shelf behind and above slightly my floor towers Warfdale. They would need to be either complete inclosed or front firing. I have thought about a pretty chrome stand but I think it would be too croweded and not have the back breathing room required to do them justice. Thats why I liked the Ushers.

Slightly over $1K, but here's a pair of Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6 (front ported) for $1200.

post #19 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why not just sell the Wharfedales and get a single pair of speakers for HT and music?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #20 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why not just sell the Wharfedales and get a single pair of speakers for HT and music? Installing the 'bookshelf' speakers as you will is not likely to get you better performance.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #21 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Have you considered used, you can get some great speakers for your budget. For example I am a huge Totem fan and noticed recently there was a pair of original Model 1s on on one of the larger used audio selling sites for $650 not the best deal I have ever seen on Totem but a good one for an excellent small speaker with sublime imaging, which is my weak spot.
post #22 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

I'll throw in Monitor Audio GS10's.....We love ours and they are great with music
post #23 of 41 Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Why not just sell the Wharfedales and get a single pair of speakers for HT and music? Installing the 'bookshelf' speakers as you will is not likely to get you better performance.

+1

Speakers are very dependant on placement so consider your room and the relationship of the speakers to the listener, the surrounding walls and eachother. Even some of the best speaker systems will sound bad when placed improperly. Think of it as a 50/50 mix.
post #24 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

The Warfdales do the HT job beautifull but are lacking on the music end. So I want to get a set of dedicated music speakers that will dance with my 2 subs running through a Denon 2808. As the Warfdaleb Floor Standers kinda take up the room I thought I would get a real good Bookshelf front port or sealed, or side port and build 2 shelves 10 ft apart and place them on those, facing 25" of living room. I gusess to get the quality with my pocketbook I may have to scout a used pair I still am going out this weekend and start listening with my music.

post #25 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
For $500... get some refurb LSi9's from Polk Direct!

[HT]

Energy RC-70 Rosenut
Energy RC-LCR Rosenut
Energy Veritas 1.0CM
SVS PC12-NSD
Pioneer SC-1522-K

[Desktop]

Emotiva Airmotiv 4

Sennheiser HD555 modded

Pics of my setup

post #26 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Nice speakers, but there may an issue with the Denon being able to drive them properly. I don't think the Denon 2808 is not rated for 4 ohms. The Lsi9's are power hungry.
post #27 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

Nice speakers, but there may an issue with the Denon being able to drive them properly. I don't think the Denon 2808 is not rated for 4 ohms. The Lsi9's are power hungry.

Those do look good, front ports,reviews, size and all, but I agree, I don't know if the D2808 would do them justice without a pre-amp, and that just may put them out of my immediate range.Whatever I bring home and hook up better have a WOW factor or the Missus will nix it. I would like to plan on a tube pre-amp in the future but that wish is at least a year down the road.

post #28 of 41 Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:

The Warfdales do the HT job beautifull but are lacking on the music end.

If they can't reproduce music well then they're not good speakers to begin with. You should ditch them and just get some speakers that you feel sound good when doing either theater or music. Then you won't have to worry about having two pairs of speakers in the same space.
post #29 of 41 Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

The HT Warfdale set up I have right now is most definitely a WOW. Seamless stage, larger than the defined area ect. ect. Cell phone goes off in the movie and everyone grabs his or hers to check it Movies however have the BIG SOUND and I like to listen to music where I can hear the sound the strings make when you're fretting them on a guitar or the sibilant hiss of the brush on the snare. I have played guitar for over 40 years so I know what I am looking for. So that and my budget is why I am doing it this way right now, 5 years from now who knows? Heading out to do the speaker shopping now will let everyone know what I find later.
Thanks

post #30 of 41 Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 AM

At around that price range, I'm a fan of the B&W 685 ($600-pair new)... I remember liking the PSB Image B15 ($379) as well, so maybe the B25s ($50-100 more?) would be worth taking a look at as well. These are both front-firing options.

If the Energy RC-10 sounds like the C-100, then it's my personal opinion that they lack a bit of sparkle in the midrange. I haven't heard the RC-10 though.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page