aperion versus axion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-22-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any consensus on these two shipping only (no retail distribution) speaker companies. They are close in price and in other ways. I would like an opinion from someone who has heard products from both companies whether one seems better than the other. I have seen some brief comments in other threads but no real discussion. How about it - anyone want to offer a response?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM

^ +1. Would also like to hear comparisions. Particularly 6T vs M80, 5T vs M60.

Display: Panasonic TH58PZ800U
AVR: Pioneer VSX-D811S => Pioneer Elite SC-67
BD: Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Media: Apple TV2
5.1: Aperion 6T/5C/5B/, Bravus 12D sub
DVR:Comcast DCH 3416
Game: PS2
Remote: Dijit App

post #3 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Axiom has this spot in their forum where people who are willing to have you come over to let you audition are.

I'm not sure, but would imagine Aperion has something similar.

I am sure there are people who have listened to both, some selected Aperion because they liked them more, and some selected Axiom because they liked them more. Who knows which crowd your ears agree with.

I believe they both have 30 day return policies. So order them both, listen, choose what you like, and send the others back. Just means you have to pay for both, pay for shipping one set back and then getting refunded.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I believe the usual refrain is Aperion is laid back and Axiom is detailed/forward, If you like the general Paradigm sound you will like Axiom.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
What does laid back mean? I have Aperion and I hear every detail no matter what volume you have the receiver at. I can run higher volumes and they do not sound laid back, unless if you are refering to my ears laying down from sheer volume...maybe thats' it.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #6 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Jakewash and Browninggold's posts just show you; one is an Axiom owner and fan, the other is an Aperion owner and fan.

Interpretation of descriptive words will vary.

You have to listen to both speakers to decide for yourself. Or just listen to one and if you like it buy them and don't look back.

post #7 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Jakewash and Browninggold's posts just show you; one is an Axiom owner and fan, the other is an Aperion owner and fan.

Interpretation of descriptive words will vary.

You have to listen to both speakers to decide for yourself. Or just listen to one and if you like it buy them and don't look back.

+1....I also recommend auditioning Aperion and Axiom in home for 30 days...Aperion has free shipping BOTH ways-no cost to you. Not sure about Axiom. Everyones' ears are different, that is why their is more than one speaker company.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #8 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browninggold View Post

What does laid back mean? I have Aperion and I hear every detail no matter what volume you have the receiver at. I can run higher volumes and they do not sound laid back, unless if you are refering to my ears laying down from sheer volume...maybe thats' it.

Well, to me (and the way I've interpretted it being used on these forums) laid back means they sound "softer". In other words, picture yourself listening to jazz music for hours, and not tiring of the sound.. because of the way the speaker presents the music. Forward means almost the opposite of that. For instance, picture yourself listening to hard rock or metal, and going "HELL YEA" that rocks, because it's "slammin". Does that make any sense?

Some may say that a speaker should be neither, that neutral is the best. Others prefer either laid back or forward speakers. It's just a personal preference.

If your interested in a "laid back" speaker, and you have a Magnolia BB around you, go listen to the Vienna Acoustics. They are definately laid back, and I've heard people compare them to Aperions. If you like their sound, more than likely you'll like Aperions.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meyers View Post

Any consensus on these two shipping only (no retail distribution) speaker companies. They are close in price and in other ways. I would like an opinion from someone who has heard products from both companies whether one seems better than the other. I have seen some brief comments in other threads but no real discussion. How about it - anyone want to offer a response?

Aperion is a recent entry into the speaker market with a nice website, nice looking products, and the bare minimum R&D. Axiom is a noted company with a significant track record of building technically sophisticated products using Canada's NRC laboratories to design and prove their products. They are very very well reviewed and respected in the popular audio press, and their R&D commitment (read about it here) is vastly greater than that of Aperion.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/on-l...s-factory-tour
post #10 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark, I don't think you meant to say Axiom is a "recent entry" based on the rest of your response, they have been around for almost 30years now.

My Website
post #11 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

Mark, I don't think you meant to say Axiom is a "recent entry" based on the rest of your response, they have been around for almost 30years now.

Oops! I meant to say "Aperion".
post #12 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrius View Post

Some may say that a speaker should be neither, that neutral is the best. Others prefer either laid back or forward speakers. It's just a personal preference.

Why would anyone want anything less than as real as possible? It's so strange to think that anyone would want their audio equipment to impart its own character to the recorded sound. How bizarre.
post #13 of 29 Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 PM

I have Aperion 6B (monitor) and 6C (center) speakers. I definitely would not call them a laid back speaker. Some describe Aperions as forward or front row speakers. I like mine for both home theater and music.

There is an interesting and favorable review of the Aperion 6T (their largest tower) in the January issue of Stereophile - doesn't appear to be available on their web site yet.

There is another Aperion 6T review here -

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...n_audio_6t.htm

Many describe Axiom's as bright. Don't know, I haven't heard them personally. Bright or detailed - only your ears can determine how they sound to you.

I can tell you that I have enjoyed my Aperion speakers but I certainly can't tell you whether you would like them or not. I use Emotiva ERD-1's for surrounds with good results. too, as another point of reference.

Aperion offers great customer service, outstanding real wood finishes standard and free freight both ways for in-home evaluations.

No doubt Axiom is a fine company as well.

There are "true believers" on both sides!
post #14 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwriter View Post

Why would anyone want anything less than as real as possible? It's so strange to think that anyone would want their audio equipment to impart its own character to the recorded sound. How bizarre.

Well, in theory at least, if the person mixing/recording your music assumed your speakers would be a certain way, then in fact you would not be hearing what they intended if your speakers were not that certain way.

I'll use a TV analogy.. If the director assumed your TV would be too bright, then he may intentionally reduce the brightness of his show/movie so that when you see it, it isn't too bright. Now, I'm not saying that this actually happens.. it's just a theoretical argument to your question.

That argument aside, it would seem to make sense that one's equipment should be as neutral as possible. However, since everyone here always tells people to go listen to what they like, buy it and enjoy it.. I don't think it would be fair to just tell everyone they should choose a neutral speaker. They should listen, and choose what they like. If it colors the sound a certain way, and they like it, so what.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrius View Post

Well, in theory at least, if the person mixing/recording your music assumed your speakers would be a certain way, then in fact you would not be hearing what they intended if your speakers were not that certain way.

I'll use a TV analogy.. If the director assumed your TV would be too bright, then he may intentionally reduce the brightness of his show/movie so that when you see it, it isn't too bright. Now, I'm not saying that this actually happens.. it's just a theoretical argument to your question.

That argument aside, it would seem to make sense that one's equipment should be as neutral as possible. However, since everyone here always tells people to go listen to what they like, buy it and enjoy it.. I don't think it would be fair to just tell everyone they should choose a neutral speaker. They should listen, and choose what they like. If it colors the sound a certain way, and they like it, so what.

I agree people are going to but what they like, but it seems strange to want all music played over their system colored in a certain way, regardless of the source material. We wouldn't accept that type of thing from an amplifier. The basic gist behind high fidelity is to hear what's on our recordings, not to have the speaker reinterpret it for us.
post #16 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvca View Post

I have Aperion 6B (monitor) and 6C (center) speakers. I definitely would not call them a laid back speaker. Some describe Aperions as forward or front row speakers. I like mine for both home theater and music.

There is an interesting and favorable review of the Aperion 6T (their largest tower) in the January issue of Stereophile - doesn't appear to be available on their web site yet.

There is another Aperion 6T review here -

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...n_audio_6t.htm

Many describe Axiom's as bright. Don't know, I haven't heard them personally. Bright or detailed - only your ears can determine how they sound to you.

I can tell you that I have enjoyed my Aperion speakers but I certainly can't tell you whether you would like them or not. I use Emotiva ERD-1's for surrounds with good results. too, as another point of reference.

Aperion offers great customer service, outstanding real wood finishes standard and free freight both ways for in-home evaluations.

No doubt Axiom is a fine company as well.

There are "true believers" on both sides!

Both of these speakers have favorable comments made about them by onlline reviewers and owners. Other than Stereophile there is little in the print journals about them. I would like to hear a comment from someone who has heard both.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Here's a link to the Axiom forum comparing the 5T to the M60, not exactly what you were looking for but may have some relevance -

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubb...212702&fpart=1
post #18 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Aperion is a recent entry into the speaker market with a nice website, nice looking products, and the bare minimum R&D. Axiom is a noted company with a significant track record of building technically sophisticated products using Canada's NRC laboratories to design and prove their products. They are very very well reviewed and respected in the popular audio press, and their R&D commitment (read about it here) is vastly greater than that of Aperion.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/on-l...s-factory-tour

Not sure how much relevance Aperions so called lack of R&D has on comparing both companies especially when they are producing exceptional products. Either you make a good product or not, no? Not even sure how accurate the statement is?

What is important is if it is a good product or not. Obviously any one who does research on both of these companies knows that both Aperion and Axiom Speakers are highly reviewed.

To the origninal poster...
Here's a rockin review of the 6T's.

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/play...web/?folio=214

Here are some more reviews on Aperion products in general
http://www.aperionaudio.com/Products/Reviews.aspx
http://www.aperionaudio.com/AwardsRe...alloffame.aspx

You can read all the reviews you want but bottom Line, your ears should be the biggest critic...Take advantage of the free 30 day trial! Best of luck to you in your search for the golden soundstage!
post #19 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlenart25 View Post

Not sure how much relevance Aperions so called lack of R&D has on comparing both companies especially when they are producing exceptional products. Either you make a good product or not, no? Not even sure how accurate the statement is?

What is important is if it is a good product or not. Obviously any one who does research on both of these companies knows that both Aperion and Axiom Speakers are highly reviewed.

Aperion's founder gave an interview in which he talked about how they subcontract out their design to an experienced designer, and they listen to them in the Aperion listening room -- a conference room. That's all well and good but it absolutely pales in comparison to what goes on at Axiom. They have a 30-year speaker technologist guru in Ian Colquhoun and a full engineering staff, an anechoic chamber, Canada's NRC Labs, double-blind testing, years and years of awards. It's not even close. It's hard to believe that other companies can achieve the same level of SQ with vastly less resources and a much less rigorous development methodology. The fact that some companies are popular has more to say about the marketing and customer service than the sound quality.

That said, Aperion makes a nice looking product and the free shipping both ways makes it easy to try them at home. I agree with dlenart25 that shipping them out make be a good idea.
post #20 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

I chose Aperions after my review. Checked Klipsch, JBL. I just know the Aperions 6Ts, 6C, 532LR and 632LR sound superb with music and movies. Your ears will not get tired of the Aperions. 2 channel music is awesome as are the movies in blu-ray and hd. I would recommend getting both of them shipped to you and audition at the same time...Totally free to do with the Aperions. Just my .04 cents. Anyways are you sure about the conference room part? I heard it was behind the dumpster in the alley next to the laundromat where the auditioning takes place....cannot quite remember though if it is before or after the lap dance

post #21 of 29 Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:

Aperion's founder gave an interview in which he talked about how they subcontract out their design to an experienced designer, and they listen to them in the Aperion listening room -- a conference room. That's all well and good but it absolutely pales in comparison to what goes on at Axiom. They have a 30-year speaker technologist guru in Ian Colquhoun and a full engineering staff, an anechoic chamber, Canada's NRC Labs, double-blind testing, years and years of awards. It's not even close. It's hard to believe that other companies can achieve the same level of SQ with vastly less resources and a much less rigorous development methodology. The fact that some companies are popular has more to say about the marketing and customer service than the sound quality.

That said, Aperion makes a nice looking product and the free shipping both ways makes it easy to try them at home. I agree with dlenart25 that shipping them out make be a good idea.

Lots of speaker companies in Canada use the NRC and end up with very different sounding speakers.

Many smaller boutique speaker companies build incredible speakers without a huge engineering staff and fancy test equipment - Salk, Selah, Tyler Acoustics for example. I don't think most would say their speakers are inferior to Axiom

Harman International dwarfs Axiom and produces moderately priced speakers like Infinity and JBL and higher end products like Revel. Some Harmon speakers may not be as good as Axiom, others blow Axiom speakers out of the water.

Engineering and research budgets don't necessarily result in the absolute finest speakers.

Axiom's engineering objective isn't to build the best speaker in the world - looks to me that they want to build moderately priced speakers that may outperform similarly priced competitors.

I cannot state for a fact that Aperion speakers are superior to Axiom speakers.

I can state that fancy test labs and engineering budget don't necessarily result in superior speakers. And, in relative terms, Axiom's engineering budget is probably miniscule compared to the budgets of the largest multinational audio products companies.

I am certain Sony spends a lot more on audio engineering than Axiom - would you buy Sony speakers?
post #22 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meyers View Post

Both of these speakers have favorable comments made about them by onlline reviewers and owners. Other than Stereophile there is little in the print journals about them. I would like to hear a comment from someone who has heard both.

As mentioned before, you should order them both and choose which you want to keep and send the others back.

You could then post a comment, if you want. But anyone else who was comparing these two should also do their own listen and not make their decision based on your comments because you wouldn't have their ears or preferences.

post #23 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

As mentioned before, you should order them both and choose which you want to keep and send the others back.

And, given both companies' generous audition terms, this is quite feasible. It will cost you nothing at all to send the Aperions back and about $60 to return the Axioms. Not a lot to risk to have the opportunity to make up your own mind in your own room!
post #24 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

As they both offer a slightly different sound presentation, you really need to decide which sonic signature you prefer. I mentioned Axioms sound very similar to Paradigm studio series, the M80s being the closest to the Studio 100s or even the Paradigm monitor 11's only the M80s have more detail and better low end than the Monitors, but the sonic signature, forward, is the same, IMO. So if you have Paradigm dealer nearby that you can hear a set of them, you will get a very good idea of the Axiom sound as well with no worry about return shipping.
post #25 of 29 Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Lots of speaker companies in Canada use the NRC and end up with very different sounding speakers.

Somewhat true, but the Harman guys say that the other NRC-influenced compaines present some of their most significant competition b/c of the similar methodologies.
Quote:

Harman International dwarfs Axiom and produces moderately priced speakers like Infinity and JBL and higher end products like Revel. Some Harmon speakers may not be as good as Axiom, others blow Axiom speakers out of the water.

Engineering and research budgets don't necessarily result in the absolute finest speakers.

Agree 100%. It is, however, when trying to get a handle on a marketplace, which companies are relying on R&D and which are relying on...??? It doesn't mean the R&D companies have hit perfection, or that everything they build is better than everything else out there. However, the OP asked for "x" v "y" info, and information on R&D is relevant.

Quote:

Axiom's engineering objective isn't to build the best speaker in the world - looks to me that they want to build moderately priced speakers that may outperform similarly priced competitors.

And it's relevant --not determinative but relevant -- to note that Axiom (and the Canadian taxpayer) devotes a large chunk of money and time to the endeavor that Aperion does not.

Quote:

I am certain Sony spends a lot more on audio engineering than Axiom - would you buy Sony speakers?

They spend money on "audio engineering" but not much at all on hifi speakers.
post #26 of 29 Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

And, given both companies' generous audition terms, this is quite feasible. It will cost you nothing at all to send the Aperions back and about $60 to return the Axioms. Not a lot to risk to have the opportunity to make up your own mind in your own room!

Ok. I had a chance to hear Axioms in Long Beach California. The owner was a very accomplished professional studio musician. He has had them for more than a year and his opinion was that the frequency response was as flat as the studio monitors that he has worked with. They sounded pretty good although I did think they were "bright" and "forward" but the room had all hard surfaces and little carpet or fabric to absorb some of the highs. So I am going to give them a try because they could work well in my theater which has alot of carpet and furniture to absorb reflected sound. If there is interest I will report my opinion back here next week when I get them.

M22
VP150
QS8
with my existing sub
post #27 of 29 Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 PM

read this. I think this might answer some of your questions.

Aperion vs Axiom
post #28 of 29 Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mark what sub do you have? The M22s sound great, lots of detail and when paired with a quality sub sound even better.
post #29 of 29 Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Axiom has free shipping in the US. According to its website, Aperion has free shipping in the continental US. That's a big difference for those of us in Alaska and Hawaii.

Greg Lee
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page