Vienna Acoustics Haydn vs Haydn Grand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-30-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been considering a pair of Vienna Acoustic Haydn or Haydn Grands and wanted to know if anyone has had the chance to compare the two.

A little background... These are for my computer room and will be pretty close to my ears. I'm looking to replace the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s I have there. They'll be powered with a Rotel RB-981. I'm considering the Haydns/Grands because when I was auditioning speakers a couple years ago for my main room I auditioned the Hayden Grands, and they did one thing better than any other speaker I auditioned, image. In the end I went with Dynaudio Contour S3.4s which are highly detailed. Since this is for a second system, I'm making it a point to not replicate the sound of my main system, and think it would be nice to have something that images as well as the Haydn Grands. The music I listen to is electronic, indie/rock, and jazz (think Underworld, Cibo Matto, and Medeski Martin and Wood).

So here I am, wanting to buy the Haydn Grands, however the used price is currently a bit high. I'm wondering if anyone has directly compared the Haydn and Haydn Grands. Given that the original Haydns came out in 1997 and the Haydn Grands came out in 2005 that left VA with plenty of time to make design changes that could effect the sound.

Technical differences between the two are the size of the midbass driver is smaller at either 5.5 or 5.25" where it is 6" on the Grands.. Also, the midbass driver is made of XPP instead of X3P. According to some other review: "X3P is XPP with three more new polymers, to give the midrange driver an unusually wide bandwidth and high resolution of detail, per VA."

Comparisons of other grand vs non-grand models could also be useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

No response, really?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Recently I've only listened to the non-Grand model and found it lacking bass for serious listening though in you application I would think it really depends on your room as to which one fits better. The Haydn is a very nice speaker though for the sound character that they have. But if you're looking for solely imaging, I'd check out the cheaper new KEF iQ line.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-31-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

They will be paired with a small sub, so bass response shouldn't matter as long as it doesn't adversely effect the quality of the image/soundstage. I haven't heard the KEF iQ line, I'll keep them in mind, however I'm mostly interested in determining if I can purchase Haydns without losing anything other than possible bass extension.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page