5.0 Speaker Upgrade? ($600) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We currently have an Onkyo 605 A/V receiver with some crappy 4 year old LG HTIB speakers hooked up to it. We got the Onkyo about 2 years ago after a power outage caused the cheap LG receiver to die. We're in the midst of converting the spare bedroom into a backup entertainment area to get all the gaming stuff out of the way. The plan is to move the LGs into that room, pick up a cheap receiver for those, and upgrade the living room.
Neither of us are fans of subwoofers so we'd rather have a 5.0 system for the time being and eventually get 2 more speakers when we buy a house with more space. Maybe one day actually invest in a subwoofer.

This is what I'm currently thinking of:
Speakers: Energy 5 Speaker Home Theater System from wwstereo that contains (2) C-300, (2) C-50, and (1) C-C50 or buying seperately from Audio Advisors as they carry the cherry C-300 and C-C50 which I prefer over the black. Both end up around $400 with free shipping and no tax.

Receiver: Marantz SR3001 from accessories4less. Again, this will go with the LGs so we're not looking for much though if anyone has a suggestion for anything comparably priced but with HDMI that'd be great. I wanted to go with the SR5002 but was shot down on that price.

I really like the B&W 686 sound but was unfortunately told my allowed budget would be about half what they cost for a front pair. I've looked at my local craigslist (Albany, NY) but haven't seen anything there.
I'm open to suggestions but really can't go much more than the $600 total I'm currently looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I really like the KEK iQx line, so here goes:

- fronts and rears, KEF iQ1 from Vanns $200 per pair, $400
- centre, KEF iQ2 from Vanns, $150

Put the $50 and another $40 towards upgrading the sr3001 to a refurbed sr4002.

Although that Energy 5.0 from wwstereo is a great deal; and it leaves the full $100 to put to the sr4002.

This Mordaunt Short system also at accessories4less at $500 is worth considering; it has a sub you don't need, but the speakers sound great.

post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I like the KEF but the iQ1's are out of stock at Vanns and I'm not finding many merchants that still carry them within a reasonable price. I'm not a fan of silver speakers such as the Mordaunts. It clashes with our living room even though these have the benefit of being small so I could hide them better than larger speakers. I'd prefer cherry to match all our furniture but since all the equipment itself is black, I'm willing to go with that if it saves me money.

What about the Athena - LS-300? I can get the fronts for about half the price of the Energy at $89 each. I know they're both Klipsch brands but I guess Athena is being dropped. The LS-100 bookshelves are slightly more expensive at $99/p than getting the Energy C-50 for backs. On top of that, I'm having a problem finding the LS-C100B in stock anywhere to complete the set. I see the LS-C50B in stock but I'm not sure how well that will mesh with the rest.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Vanns must have sold out last night. accessories4less still has them at $230 per pair in black. If you find a local B&M store with them you could probably push them to close to $200.

Sorry, no opinion on Athenas, I've never heard them.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Vanns must have sold out last night. accessories4less still has them at $230 per pair in black. If you find a local B&M store with them you could probably push them to close to $200.

I'll have to call the one other retailer in my area. I stopped by one store yesterday that carries KEF but the cheapest set they carry is the B&W 686 at $480/p. He said they were going to start carrying a $300/p set in the next few months but they were still trying to decide on which ones.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Ceres, I sent you a Private Message (PM)

Afro GT

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page