Nakamichi or Monoprice (banana plugs) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which is better (overall)
Nakamichi 1 100.00%
Monoprice 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 173 Old 04-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

you don't need to buy a printer, the Kimber Kable company obviously has them made for them, but you can easily just get the colored tubing.

Yes, but when I saw those I thought that using it to label Front Right +, Front Right -, etc would be great.

I've got a set of the Nakamichi's coming from the US seller on ebay. I'm using 12 Ga wire and hope it fits.

I'm not sure I like the small colored label at the front of the plug so I may paint a stripe around the middle to make it easier to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 173 Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

you can get heat shrink in almost any electronics store. the place where you get electronic equipment, not stereo equipment.

try "electric supply" in your yellow pages.

heat shrink can be had in many different diameters and colors.

or try here:
http://www.heatshrink.com/

what would be the "correct" diameter?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 173 Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

what would be the "correct" diameter?

Depends on the diameter of your cable and/or connector.

http://www.elecdirect.com/catalog/22...8850bae22.aspx

scroll down. the 5/8 or 3/4 diameter should fit over any of the banana connectors discussed here. you will have to order a minimum of $25 worth from this website but search for yourselves if you want. it's available in 4 foot lengths or 100 foot rolls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 173 Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The Nakamichi's from the US seller arrived today. They are the standard ones (not sawtooth) that have the metal cover. 12 gauge wire does fit in these with room to spare.

I just finished painting them from the top knurl to the end so that the color will show up better in the back of my cabinet. There isn't much color normally since just the Nakamichi name is red or black.
post #95 of 173 Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Can someone confirm that these http://cgi.ebay.com/24-PCS-Nakamichi...4.c0.m14.l1262 fit 12 AWG wire? I believe Dock04 had bought these and said they do, but I am not sure if these are the exact ones that he got.

thanks
post #96 of 173 Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Depends on the diameter of your cable and/or connector.

http://www.elecdirect.com/catalog/22...8850bae22.aspx

scroll down. the 5/8 or 3/4 diameter should fit over any of the banana connectors discussed here. you will have to order a minimum of $25 worth from this website but search for yourselves if you want. it's available in 4 foot lengths or 100 foot rolls.

thanks... i'm using the monoprice ones...

i'm never sure how much the stuff "shrinks", and i get confused with different specs...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #97 of 173 Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

just wanted to say that I recently bought my first set of locking plugs, Unique Products Locking Banana. But, sorry I can't compare them to anything else. It's $60 for a pack of 20. After a little mini-review at Audioholics did I try them out. I have nothing to compare them to, but they work great, and I am exclusively using 12 AWG from Monoprice and BJC with them. I'd bet even larger gauge would fit just fine.

post #98 of 173 Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewow View Post

Can someone confirm that these http://cgi.ebay.com/24-PCS-Nakamichi...4.c0.m14.l1262 fit 12 AWG wire? I believe Dock04 had bought these and said they do, but I am not sure if these are the exact ones that he got.

thanks

bump
post #99 of 173 Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks

can someone confirm this? because supposedly shipment takes about a few weeks to arrive and i need them by the end of the month.

thanks
post #100 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 PM

Can someone accuratly measure the OD of the Monoprice banana plug? I want to know if 1/2" shrink tubing will fit over them or not.
post #101 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

I just finished all new speaker cables using the Monoprice Banana plugs and I used 3/8" heatshrink on mine (it just fit) so 1/2" will be more than enough. If you are wanting the heatshrink to cover the speaker cable and you go with 1/2" make sure you go with 3:1 to insure you get enough shrinkage. My 3/8" 2:1 shrank down to the speaker wire just fine.

So to answer your question about the O.D. of the Monoprice Banana plugs, slightly less than 3/8", or maybe they are 3/8" and the heatshrink was a little more than 3/8".
post #102 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLefty View Post

I just finished all new speaker cables using the Monoprice Banana plugs and I used 3/8" heatshrink on mine (it just fit) so 1/2" will be more than enough. If you are wanting the heatshrink to cover the speaker cable and you go with 1/2" make sure you go with 3:1 to insure you get enough shrinkage. My 3/8" 2:1 shrank down to the speaker wire just fine.

sorry, i'm a heatshrink nub. how exactly did you heat it? is there an easy way other than a heatgun? if not, and you need a heatgun, does any heatgun work? Cheaper heatguns just have 1 setting...and are basically like 500+ farenheit, which is overkill and a half...
there is a heatgun that i can get which is 75$ and has many settings...but all this just to shrink a few cm of heatshrink??? lol

any suggestions?
post #103 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Is it reccomended to heat shrink the wires? I'm also a noob, and if so, would a hair dryer work to shrink the plastic? Also, where did you buy the shrink??

PSN Forensics80
post #104 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sorry, i'm a heatshrink nub. how exactly did you heat it? is there an easy way other than a heatgun? if not, and you need a heatgun, does any heatgun work? Cheaper heatguns just have 1 setting...and are basically like 500+ farenheit, which is overkill and a half...
there is a heatgun that i can get which is 75$ and has many settings...but all this just to shrink a few cm of heatshrink??? lol

any suggestions?

I have a heat gun with variable settings. The key is not to get it to hot and don't hold it to the heat for longer than a few seconds until you get it just the way you want it. Keep rotating what you are heating to evenly distribute the heat all the way around the heatshrink.

Good luck...
post #105 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a heat gun with variable settings. The key is not to get it to hot and don't hold it to the heat for longer than a few seconds until you get it just the way you want it. Keep rotating what you are heating to evenly distribute the heat all the way around the heatshrink.

Good luck...

so something like a hair dryer won't work?
post #106 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 View Post

Is it reccomended to heat shrink the wires? I'm also a noob, and if so, would a hair dryer work to shrink the plastic? Also, where did you buy the shrink??

The speaker wire I used was Canare 4S8 Quad Star. It has four (4) individual conductors that you pair up for the positive and negative legs. I wanted to keep the pairs nice and tidy so I put some 1/4" heatshrink over each leg. It doesn't hurt the wires as long as you keep the heat just high enough to shrink. I don't think a hair dryer would get hot enough, at least the ones I have don't.

I bought my heatshrink from www.markertek.com.
post #107 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:

The speaker wire I used was Canare 4S8 Quad Star. It has four (4) individual conductors that you pair up for the positive and negative legs. I wanted to keep the pairs nice and tidy so I put some 1/4" heatshrink over each leg. It doesn't hurt the wires as long as you keep the heat just high enough to shrink. I don't think a hair dryer would get hot enough, at least the ones I have don't.

I bought my heatshrink from www.markertek.com.

Thanks for the quick response. I orderd the oxygen free 12 awg wire from monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
So should I use heat shrink, or will it not really matter since I only have 1 postive and 1 negative to connect??? Thanks in advance...

PSN Forensics80
post #108 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

any suggestions?

A lighter or matches will work fine. Just make sure you heat the tubing evenly all the way around. A lighter wont burn down and burn your fingers like matches can.
One can use a heat gun and is preferrable if you are doing a lot of tubing.

A hair dryer will not get hot enough to shrink, I think. I've never tried it though.

post #109 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So to answer your question about the O.D. of the Monoprice Banana plugs, slightly less than 3/8", or maybe they are 3/8" and the heatshrink was a little more than 3/8".

Nice job on the heat shrink.

post #110 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM

You can use a lighter on heatshrink.. just do it really fast and be careful. Heat shrink can be bought at any hardware store or hobby shop.

I'm looking into getting some banana plugs as well, I am interested in the Monster Black chrome and GLS black chrome, they look pretty much identical. And the Nakamichi BFA style. Which would be the best style to go with?? I really like the looks of the monster banana plugs. I need 28 and the gls and monster are kinda pricey at $85 CAD and the nakamichi are less than half the price.

Nakamichihttp://cgi.ebay.com/24-PCS-Nakamichi...A1%7C294%3A200

Monster http://cgi.ebay.com/MONSTER-Research...A1%7C294%3A200

GLS http://cgi.ebay.com/28-BLACK-CHROME-...A1%7C294%3A200
post #111 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshane View Post

You can use a lighter on heatshrink.. just do it really fast and be careful. Heat shrink can be bought at any hardware store or hobby shop.

I'm looking into getting some banana plugs as well, I am interested in the Monster Black chrome and GLS black chrome, they look pretty much identical. And the Nakamichi BFA style. Which would be the best style to go with?? I really like the looks of the monster banana plugs. I need 28 and the gls and monster are kinda pricey at $85 CAD and the nakamichi are less than half the price.

Nakamichihttp://cgi.ebay.com/24-PCS-Nakamichi...A1%7C294%3A200

Monster http://cgi.ebay.com/MONSTER-Research...A1%7C294%3A200

GLS http://cgi.ebay.com/28-BLACK-CHROME-...A1%7C294%3A200

I emailed the seller for the nakamichis, in order to see if they fit 12 AWG 100%

If yes, I will go with those

Also, I will use a lighter!
post #112 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 View Post

Thanks for the quick response. I orderd the oxygen free 12 awg wire from monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
So should I use heat shrink, or will it not really matter since I only have 1 postive and 1 negative to connect??? Thanks in advance...

You wouldn't have to use the heatshrink unless you want to give it a "custom look" or if you want to protect from accidentely touching the positive and negative together.
post #113 of 173 Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I emailed the seller for the nakamichis, in order to see if they fit 12 AWG 100%

If yes, I will go with those

Also, I will use a lighter!

Code:
Yes,

This item will fit 12 gauge.

Thanks and Regards,
Qiu
so i bought them
post #114 of 173 Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Hi!

Anybody knows where these Nakamichi's came from? It's no way from Japan that cheap
post #115 of 173 Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbadge View Post

Hi!

Anybody knows where these Nakamichi's came from? It's no way from Japan that cheap

I can't say where they came from but the BFAs I bought from ebay (USA seller) were much better then the one I bought, again from ebay but seller was located in Hong Kong. They slide in smooth and contact is firm and extremely good. I have at least 40 banana plugs from Monoprice and I don't get good contact from at least 1/2 of them. Replaced all with the BFA from ebay and very happy with them.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #116 of 173 Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
i got mine from namashop.com, the quality appear to be good. The fit and finish of these are excellent, the machine work is perfect, and the small details, the screw holes are "chamfered" i believe that is the term, but i am unsure, this makes insertion much easier. these plugs probably weigh 25-50% more then the ones from the usa seller.

i also bought some on ebay, usa seller, the ones from the usa seller appear to be bad copies.. they are lighter, the screws are all on one side instead of opposite sides. they are lighter, the banana parts of it is runs through the full length of the body.... but it appears to be thin and fragile.
post #117 of 173 Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

i got mine from namashop.com, the quality appear to be good. The fit and finish of these are excellent, the machine work is perfect, and the small details, the screw holes are "chamfered" i believe that is the term, but i am unsure, this makes insertion much easier. these plugs probably weigh 25-50% more then the ones from the usa seller.

i also bought some on ebay, usa seller, the ones from the usa seller appear to be bad copies.. they are lighter, the screws are all on one side instead of opposite sides. they are lighter, the banana parts of it is runs through the full length of the body.... but it appears to be thin and fragile.

Good to know there are better quality out there for cheap. I will try out the namashop.com ones if I ever need one. Thanks.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #118 of 173 Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Good to know there are better quality out there for cheap. I will try out the namashop.com ones if I ever need one. Thanks.

i received plugs from both places in the past 2 weeks. The only ebay USA seller that has the plugs sent me plugs completely different from the ones in the picture. He claims that they are the new version 2 plugs. For whatever reasons, i am not convinced, as everything just felt cheaper.

The ones from namashop are exactly the ones you see on ebay pretty much, except they might be the actual place where all these ebay sellers get them from, possibly..
post #119 of 173 Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Hello!
Thank you for the replies.
It looks like the plastic-jacket (2503) plugs at Nakamichi are of good quality. Has anyone tried these?
Thanks.
post #120 of 173 Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I have some exactly like that. I bought them from my local small electronics store for $1.50/pr a few years ago. They work fine. Nothing special about them but they do their job. If you prefer a plastic casing then its a good way to go.

These work just as well.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=090-465
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=090-460

the ones you mentioned are shorter though which can be nice with smaller satellite speakers.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page