Klipsch/Denon...help...New Here...Thanks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I may have damaged my tweeters??? or maybe not. I have a Denon 3808CI ....130watts X 7. With (2) RF3's ( the older ones that are rated at 225 RMS),,,, (1)RC3 center ,,,,for surround A I have (2)RB35's ,,,and for the rear I have (2) RS3's.....and a KSW12 SUB( I am upgrading sub soon, because it does not match the system, ,,need more power) Great setup I think.

I am not a stereo guru by no means, but know the basics.
On my denon I set my RF3's and RB3's to Large because they have 8 inch woofers. If I set the crossover frequency to 40hz and cranked it up for a while could I have damaged my tweeters? These speakers have 4 posts and I have them bridged. Do they have built in crossovers? Or do I have to have an external crossover spliting the signal?

Any Input on setting up this system would be great... I think if I get a RSW12 sub It will sound a lot better. My sub now only is 110 watts RMS. I think this system needs 600RMS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Welcome to the forum, srt8man22,

I have several Denon/Klipsch HTs and don't know if you damaged your speakers and yes the RF-3s have a built-in crossover.

The first thing I would do is put the connectors back on the dual posts in the back of your RF-3s and use only one feed.

Then I would run the Audyssey set up using all mic positions. Here is a link to the Audyssey Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Audyssey will probably see your RF-3s as Large and I would go in and change them to Small after running Audyssey and see what the Advanced menu in Bass mgmt recommends setting the crossover at. I would imagine either 60 or 80 Hz. Also make sure you don't have LFE + mains" set.

Btw, The RSW 12 is a considerably better sub than the KSW 12. You may be able to incorporate both into your HT. ;-)
post #3 of 8 Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you and good idea , I did not even think of using 2 subwoofers. I do have about 160" screen and a fairly large room. So that would be neat. I am going to run the audyssey, and see what it sets itself up as. I think It should run my speakers as large since they are 8 inch woofers, and have 130RMS backing them.....no? Last time it set up it set them as small? I felt I was missing out,because my RF3's and RB35's are capable of some good bass.

Question...Why should I have LFE + main not on? and why do you think I should set speakers to small?
thanks again ZEN!
post #4 of 8 Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 AM

Setting your speakers to small will let your receiver clean up the midrange more. But you can have them set on large if it sounds good to you, it about what sounds good to you. LFE +mains is like having your speakers set to large, but instead, they are also putting some of the LFE channel in there as well. So it would be easier on the receiver to have your speakers set to large as opposed to LFE + mains. I agree, get two subs if you want more bass.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

It is MUCH easier on your reciever if you set your mains to small, even with the 8" woofers. Direct the really low stuff to the sub and let your mains handle the midrange and high end. Doing so should clean up the midrange, as previously noted. Also if your room is so big that you have a 160" screen, I would highly recommend 2 subwoofers, and I don't mean Klipsch. For such a large space I would start looking at a pair of SVS PB-13 or PC-13 Ultras, or something equivalent. I think Klipsch makes great speakers, but for equally great subwoofers, look at companies that specialize in subs. There's no reason, other than appearance, why your sub needs to match the rest of your speakers. For the best advice on subs, post over in the subwoofer forum.

Steve

post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

When I ran the audyssey it senses all of my speakers as small. and sets the crossover at 80hz on all speakers except for the fronts it sets at 40hz. Sound right?
It sounds pretty good . I was watching some parts in King Kong on blu Ray and it really keeps you on the edge of your seat.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8man22 View Post

When I ran the audyssey it senses all of my speakers as small. and sets the crossover at 80hz on all speakers except for the fronts it sets at 40hz. Sound right?
It sounds pretty good . I was watching some parts in King Kong on blu Ray and it really keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I would set the crossover for everything at 80. Maybe as low as 60 for the fronts but that's about it. Getting down to 40 takes more power and starts putting more of a strain on your receiver. I also have 8" woofers in my mains, but I still have the crossover set at 80 for everything, all speakers set to small, and subwoofer set to yes. I recently bi-amped my mains though. I think it sounds better. Whether it's a real or perceived improvement I'll leave to the experts to debate, but I think it sounds better so I'm leaving it that way. Click on the link in my signature if you want to see pictures.

Steve

post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8man22 View Post

... I think It should run my speakers as large since they are 8 inch woofers, and have 130RMS backing them.....no? Last time it set up it set them as small? I felt I was missing out,because my RF3's and RB35's are capable of some good bass.

Question...Why should I have LFE + main not on? ... small?
thanks again ZEN!

Fwiw, I have four 10" woofers and eight 8 inch woofers in my Klipsch Library Home Theater and I drive all of my speakers as Small for the reasons mentioned by other posters. Insofar as Klipsch Subwoofers are concerned, the RSW line are quality subs and if you can get one discounted are a good bang for your buck, although at full price there are better deals to be had.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page