Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 465 Old 03-23-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

well, the speakers still sound good thru his system. man he jumped on that speaker deal right after i told him about it. he beat me to it! anyhow, he's pleased. what about that crossover?

Read my above/last post regarding the crossover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 465 Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Guy View Post

I have mine at 80Hz and the PA-8F's sound fine. However, all receivers and rooms are different. I would say leave it on 80 and see how it sounds.

sorry, i missed that.
post #93 of 465 Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

sorry, i missed that.

Hehe.....No need to apologize.
post #94 of 465 Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM

BTW, my speakers are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. i cant wait to hear what i've been missing!
post #95 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM

well, my PA-8F towers arrived today and all i can say is . i mean i am speechless! these things ROCK! what an incredible speaker not to mention the price i paid for em! i thought they sounded pretty good on my buddies system but now that i have them on mine they are spectacular! they have a much much more filling sound than my polk R50's. the bass is awesome! even with the sub turned down i've got very nice bass. thanks to the 5'' midrange, my vocals are more distinct and the highs are much more pronounced thanks to the 1'' tweeter vs the polk 3/4''. all in all i am estatic right now. i'm still using my polk CSR center but after what i've heard today i'll be ordering the PA center channel ASAP! just wanted to give my opinion and hey movie guy, you were spot on. these speakers are matchless for the price! i cant imagine a $1000 dollar set of speakers sounding any better! for anyone looking for a fantastic set of tower speakers on a budget or otherwise, i strongly suggest you try out these PA-8F's. i took a chance and i'm glad i did!
post #96 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM

BTW, movie guy i'm picking up the pieces right now with AWB!
post #97 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

well, my PA-8F towers arrived today and all i can say is . i mean i am speechless! these things ROCK! what an incredible speaker not to mention the price i paid for em! i thought they sounded pretty good on my buddies system but now that i have them on mine they are spectacular! they have a much much more filling sound than my polk R50's. the bass is awesome! even with the sub turned down i've got very nice bass. thanks to the 5'' midrange, my vocals are more distinct and the highs are much more pronounced thanks to the 1'' tweeter vs the polk 3/4''. all in all i am estatic right now. i'm still using my polk CSR center but after what i've heard today i'll be ordering the PA center channel ASAP! just wanted to give my opinion and hey movie guy, you were spot on. these speakers are matchless for the price! i cant imagine a $1000 dollar set of speakers sounding any better! for anyone looking for a fantastic set of tower speakers on a budget or otherwise, i strongly suggest you try out these PA-8F's. i took a chance and i'm glad i did!

Glad your happy with your speakers. I felt the same way after replacing my Acoustech PA-75's with the PA-8F's. Night and day difference for sure. I knew you would like them a hell-uv-a lot more than your Polk R50's. Hahaha!
I truly feel there isn't a better bang for the buck. Just think, they say they'll sound a lot better after their 30 hour break in period. I can't see how they could be any better than they already are? LOL. Isn't the Cherry wood nice! It looks elegant and a lot nicer than the black.
post #98 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

BTW, movie guy i'm picking up the pieces right now with AWB!

Hahahaha! The CD or DVD? I have the DVD. Ya know, I haven't tried that one out yet with my PA-8F's. Gonna go try it out right now. Hehe........
post #99 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM

man, it makes my polks look really cheap. BTW, a little more info. the speakers are indeed pretty heavy and quite a bit larger than the polk R50's. considering they traveled cross country, they arrived in perfect shape just as my PA120 sub. so my hats off to sound dristributors and UPS. they were packaged well and UPS got them here without a scratch! if they sound any better later on than they do now, well i can justifiably say we stole these speakers!
post #100 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Guy View Post

Hahahaha! The CD or DVD? I have the DVD. Ya know, I haven't tried that one out yet with my PA-8F's. Gonna go try it out right now. Hehe........

the DVD. man these things have completely overpowered my polk center. all i hear is the towers from my chair. i'm on eagles farewell tour as we speak. gotta get the PA center!
post #101 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

man, it makes my polks look really cheap. BTW, a little more info. the speakers are indeed pretty heavy and quite a bit larger than the polk R50's. considering they traveled cross country, they arrived in perfect shape just as my PA120 sub. so my hats off to sound dristributors and UPS. they were packaged well and UPS got them here without a scratch! if they sound any better later on than they do now, well i can justifiably say we stole these speakers!

Yeah, I hear ya on them making your Polks look cheap. The PA-8F's are definitely not cheap looking nor do they feel like their cheaply made. Their pretty solid. Mine also arrived in pristine condition so I agree, hats off too Sound Distributors and UPS. Hehehe! I feel even if they don;t sound any better after the supposed 30 hour break in period I still feel like we stole them. Hahaha! I'm glad your enjoying them.
post #102 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the DVD. man these things have completely overpowered my polk center. all i hear is the towers from my chair. i'm on eagles farewell tour as we speak. gotta get the PA center!

Hahahaha! I hear ya. They overpower my Acoustech HT-65 center that's why I have to get the PA center soon. I'm hoping to get the PA-6C center and the PA-120 sub within the next few weeks. Is your AWB DVD the 1977 "Live From Montreux"? That;'s the one I have. The DTS soundtrack is ok considering it's 32 years old. However, I'm sure your PA-8F's are sounding a lot better with your Eagles "Farewell Tour" DVD. I have the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD and it sounds sweet on these speakers.
post #103 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 PM

yeah, the eagles are hard to top. the AWB DVD is called tonite. hell freezes over was the first concert DVD i ever owned. my wife got it for me for christmas a couple of years ago. the guy that lives across the street from me is going to buy the R50's from me. i hope he doesnt hear the PA-8F's or he'll want them instead! LOL
post #104 of 465 Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM

movie guy, have you registered your speakers for the warranty yet?
post #105 of 465 Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

yeah, the eagles are hard to top. the AWB DVD is called tonite. hell freezes over was the first concert DVD i ever owned. my wife got it for me for christmas a couple of years ago. the guy that lives across the street from me is going to buy the R50's from me. i hope he doesnt hear the PA-8F's or he'll want them instead! LOL

Yeah, the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD sounds great in DTS. That's cool that your neighbor is going to buy your R50's. Just don't let him hear your PA's. Tell him your receiver is broke. Hahaha! Now you can take that money and put it towards your PA center.
post #106 of 465 Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

movie guy, have you registered your speakers for the warranty yet?

Not yet. To be honest, I never thought about it. I just unpacked the speakers and put the boxes in my basement. But I'll look into that today. Thanks for the reminder!
post #107 of 465 Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM

movie guy, i'm assuming that you can not register online but you have to mail in registration card that came with the speakers. i emailed eric at sound distributors and he said he will honor the warranty thru his store if needed.
post #108 of 465 Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

movie guy, i'm assuming that you can not register online but you have to mail in registration card that came with the speakers. i emailed eric at sound distributors and he said he will honor the warranty thru his store if needed.

Ok, cool! Thanks for the info. I doubt anything will do wrong with the speakers just as long as you don't push more than 175 watts through them. Hehe....
post #109 of 465 Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 PM

hey movie guy, the more i listen to these speakers the more i hear things i've been missing. on several of my concert DVD's i can hear background noises that wasnt there with the polks. so i'm definately getting better detail with the PA-8F's!
post #110 of 465 Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hey movie guy, the more i listen to these speakers the more i hear things i've been missing. on several of my concert DVD's i can hear background noises that wasnt there with the polks. so i'm definately getting better detail with the PA-8F's!

I know just how you feel. Today I was watching my Chicago/Soundstage concert and I never really heard the sound of the organ so clear. It sounded like the Leslie cabinet was sitting right in my living room. Hahaha! They are really great speakers for the money. I can't wait to match them with a PA-6C center & PA-120 sub.
post #111 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 AM

yep, i agree. its a great setup! i've turned my center channel all the way up in my receiver and from my listening distance of about 12 feet i still cannot hear the dialogue coming from the polk center. its amazing how these towers command the front soundstage!
post #112 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

yep, i agree. its a great setup! i've turned my center channel all the way up in my receiver and from my listening distance of about 12 feet i still cannot hear the dialogue coming from the polk center. its amazing how these towers command the front soundstage!

No doubt. I still have my Acoustech center and it sounds ok but when it was paired with my Acoustech HT-75 towers the horns from the towers and the center combined were very overbearing. Very bright and the horns exaggerated the highs and over powered everything else. When I would walk up close to them all you would hear were those horns and hardly anything coming out of the drivers. That's not the case with the PA-8F'S. I can hear the lows and mids very clearly at close or far range. Paired with the P8-8F's the Acoustech center isn't nearly as overbearing. But I'm still gonna get the PA-6C just because I know it'll sound/match up better with the PA-8F's. The Acoustech's were ok if you like exteremely bright and over exaggerated highs but they just weren't for me. I like a bright sound but not that bright. There are people who swear by the Acoustech's? I don't know how? Unless those same people are tone deaf? Hahaha! In any case, I'm 100% satisfied with the PA-8F's.
post #113 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 AM

well, i'm sure my polk center isnt near the capabilities of the Acoustech. its probably polks very lowest end center. and while it was decent with the R50's it clearly is no match for the PA-8F's.
post #114 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 05:27 AM

Guys,

Are there some premier acoustic bookshelves that would match the PA-8Fs and the PA-8Center channel? I'm trying to figure out what to use as rears.

Thanks!
post #115 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killayaw View Post

Guys,

Are there some premier acoustic bookshelves that would match the PA-8Fs and the PA-8Center channel? I'm trying to figure out what to use as rears.

Thanks!

Yes, Premier Acoustic makes the PA-6B's which are bookshelf speakers which have a single 6.5" driver and go for about $240 shipped for the pair. But if I were you I'd go with the PA-6S's which have dual 6.5" drivers and go for the same amount plus they are made to be used as rear surrounds. Hope this helped?

These are the PA-6B's (Bookshelf)
These are the PA-6S's (Surrounds)
post #116 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

well, i'm sure my polk center isnt near the capabilities of the Acoustech. its probably polks very lowest end center. and while it was decent with the R50's it clearly is no match for the PA-8F's.

I hear ya. Might be time to get the PA center? Hehe..... I'd love to get the PA-8C with matching 8" drivers and 3" mid driver but I just can't see spending the extra $100. I would think the PA-6C with 6.5" drivers would be sufficient enough. I look at it this way, I could put that extra $100 towards the PA-120. But that's just my opinion?
post #117 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks Movie Guy. I wasn't sure if I could use the PA-6S as a rear surround. I assumed it was for the side.

Would the PA-8S go better with the PA-8F towers and center? I don't see a PA-8B bookshelf speaker. I'm assuming they don't make a bookshelf that large?
post #118 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks Movie Guy. I wasn't sure if I could use the PA-6S as a rear surround. I assumed it was for the side.

Would the PA-8S go better with the PA-8F towers and center? I don't see a PA-8B bookshelf speaker. I'm assuming they don't make a bookshelf that large?

The PA-6S are made to be used as rears/surrounds. You can also use them as sides if you have a 7.1 receiver. Yeah, the PA-8S would be nice to have being they have dual 8" drivers like the PA-8F's but they're about $330 shipped. I can't see spending almost $100 more for the PA-8S's nor can I see the need for having 8" woofers for your rears. I personally think the PA-6S's would be more than sufficient enough. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm not sure if PA makes an 8" (PA-8B) bookshelf speaker? I don't think they do?
post #119 of 465 Old 03-28-2009, 03:57 PM

I haven't seen a bookshelf with 8" drivers from premier acoustic, so I'm assuming they don't make one. Thanks for your thoughts Movie Guy.
post #120 of 465 Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I haven't seen a bookshelf with 8" drivers from premier acoustic, so I'm assuming they don't make one. Thanks for your thoughts Movie Guy.

No problem. Yeah, I haven't seen bookshelf's with 8" drivers either. I don't think they make one.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page