Is there any limitation to a 5.0 setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My main speakers are a satellite/sub system (NHT XDs). The sub is a legitimate powered sub, but does not provide for a separate LFE input. Therefore, when I configure my speakers - the mains are set to large, the center and surrounds to small with no subwoofer. Is there any disadvantage to this type of setup versus the more standard 5.1 configuration? For example, in my setup I cannot set the level separately for the LFE/subwoofer channel. Is that an inherent limitation?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 148
It should not be a problem since the Xd system will balance sub/mains for you. The only issue is the bass from the surround/center. Are those full range? If you are using additional Xds, it is OK.

Realize, of course, that the Xd subs are not as potent as large dedicated subs but that should be a minor issue.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It should not be a problem since the Xd system will balance sub/mains for you. The only issue is the bass from the surround/center. Are those full range? If you are using additional Xds, it is OK.

Realize, of course, that the Xd subs are not as potent as large dedicated subs but that should be a minor issue.

Thank you for the reply. I am using an XdS for the center crossed over at 120 Hz. For the rears, I am using NHT Absolute Zeroes crossed over at 80 Hz. I don't have the infrastructure to support XdS speakers in the rear - can't accommodate the wiring, etc. Do you think that this setup works as well as most conventional systems?
post #4 of 4 Old 03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

Thank you for the reply. I am using an XdS for the center crossed over at 120 Hz. For the rears, I am using NHT Absolute Zeroes crossed over at 80 Hz. I don't have the infrastructure to support XdS speakers in the rear - can't accommodate the wiring, etc. Do you think that this setup works as well as most conventional systems?

Well, to what are you crossing over the nhts? To the fronts? If so, fine. The only objection is the lack of a real sub in the system for LFE. Not an issue for music but you might miss some of the gut-wrenching effects on movies. Not a biggie.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page