Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new 7.1 setup from The Speaker Company:

Fronts: TSBL
Center: TC2
Sub: ASW-8
Surrounds: TSB
Surround Backs: P5-PR

Everything sounds great, except for the TC2, which, even after Audyssey setup, sounded weak and hollow. I set it up according the Audyssey Setup Guide, and the center channel tweeter is at ear level and pointed at the main listening position. Just to cover that it's not something really basic.

I did some tests, checking the EQ setup that Audyssey had made for that speaker (there was a huge spike to the limit at the 8k band and above), and playing the Denon "white noise" test tones for speaker level, a quick and dirty test with SoundTrack Pro on my laptop revealed that the TC2 had a massive drop in frequency response above 5 KHz, leading to the suggestion that it might have a defective tweeter.

A week ago, I contacted The Speaker Company, and they never really answered what they thought might be the issue, but readily agreed to send a call tag for the defective one and send out a new replacement TC2. Their customer service seemed to lack consideration for the consumer who needs to know when and where to have the old speaker ready for pickup, but luck was with us, my wife happened to be home at the time of pickup (eve though we were never told when it would be), the old speaker went to New Jersey for testing and a new one was shipped out from California.

This Tuesday (10 Mar), the new one came, and the next day, I was able to install it and test again. But this one exhibited the same dramatic drop in frequency response as the previous one. I then tested swapping speakers around between the center and the fronts and re-running the Audyssey setup. No matter where I placed it, the TC2 still lacked in the high range.

My question to those who have taken the time to read all of this history (thanks!) --- is there anything else I can do to test to make sure that it is the speaker and not something I am doing wrong, before this gets sent back for another replacement TC2?

Cheers & Mahalo,
MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just to illustrate, here's the Soundtrack Pro frequency tests:

post #3 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Switch the center to another channel. Maybe it's the AVR.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboszko View Post

I then tested swapping speakers around between the center and the fronts and re-running the Audyssey setup. No matter where I placed it, the TC2 still lacked in the high range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

Switch the center to another channel. Maybe it's the AVR.

See above. I already did. Any other ideas?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Oops! Sorry. I wonder if this is some sort of design issue...
post #6 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Liked: 14
I'm not sure. I have the TC2 as well but I run mine with my marantz amp which is plugged into my pioneer AVR. Now I don't have audyssey but it does have MCACC. After setup I just raised up the dB on the center to is was more balanced as the volume was just a little low and it is perfect now. I've played rockband 2, played movies and the sound was clear, dialog is very nice and can easily understand. Blends in well with the TST3 and the TSBL rears.

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Just to follow up, here's the graph from swapping the center and right speakers in my setup:

A reminder: this was a quick-'n'-dirty test taken in SoundTrack Pro with the built-in mic from my MacBook Pro, which in no way has what you could call a flat frequency response, but the relative difference between the TSBLs and the TC2 should still be obvious.

When I swapped speakers, the Audyssey-set channel levels and EQ also reflected this. The original readings were:

L-TSBL: +8.5
C-TC2: +2.0
R-TSBL: +8.0

When I swapped them, it changed to:

L-TSBL: +8.5
C-TSBL: +7.0
R-TC2: +3.5

The spike in the EQ around 8 KHz also moved with the TC2 from C to R. Very similar results came from a swap of the TC2 to the L channel; so I expect it's nothing to do with the receiver. Let me know if you guys think of anything else I can try -- I have until Monday before the TC2 gets picked up by FedEx Ground (see below).

I spoke with Dennis Suler at tSc this morning, and we're trying to figure out what the issue may be, so this TC2 will be going back as well. In the meantime, he's sending me another TSBL to act as a center channel to see if I'm happy with that. If so, then he'll refund the difference between that and the TC2. I made it a point to say that I'd like to hear back from them on the disposition of the TC2, if it turned out that somehow I beat the odds and just happened to have two defective ones in a row, or what the deal exactly was.

Hopefully we can figure this out, and I can get a TC2 that works as expected. If not, perhaps a third TSBL is the best answer. Is this in any way endemic to center channel monitors that have dual-midrange drivers? Is it just overpowering the tweeter, making it seem that I'm not hearing what I'm supposed to hear? (This is my first experience with this type of speaker.)

It seems the folks at tSc are definitely trying to provide good customer service, even if the return/call tag/pickup process has a maddening degree of ambiguity; but I suspect that has more to do with their choice of using FedEx Ground as their shipper, than it does with tSc themselves.

I'll report back once I hear more details from tSc.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page