Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

New guy here...

I am looking for a home theatre system (receiver plus 5.1 speaker system) that will mainly be used with the 52" Aquos LCD HDTV and later to be added components (Sony PS3, DVD player, etc.)

Main use will be watching cable TV, listening to music (via iPod connection), etc.

This will go in our family room (about 19ft x 25ft). TV will be wall mounted along one of the 25ft walls. I would like to wall mount the speakers as well. Therefore, in addition to audio quality I do care about how they look.

I started looking into the Onkyo HT-S9100 system, but that is not in stock and speakers seem pretty big as well.

I am not a true audio geek, but definitely enjoy high quality AV gear.

With this in mind, please fire away your suggestions for:
- 5.1 speaker system (either a system or separates) for about $1,500
- Receiver for about $500-$700

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Speakers seem pretty big?! Are you looking for Bose size/style with better sound quality?

I would look into Kef, Orb or some of the smaller bookshelf speakers from Infinity, Polk, Klipsch. Just get out there and listen to them and pick the ones you like the best based on your size and SQ criteria, there really is no BEST for everyone, we all have diffrent needs and desires. For a receiver I would look at Onkyo, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha to stay with some good quality lower priced units.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
look into the Paradigm Cinema series speakers, they are made for on-wall mounting. Something like the Cimema 330 series.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I meant to say Onkyo HT-S9100 speakers look "bulky" and likely won't look good when wall mounted. I am not necessarily looking for very small (i.e., Bose like speakers) but looking for those that would look better when wall mounted.

I checked some wall mounted Definitive Tech speakers that would likely work for my space, but those are out of my price range (5.1 system around $2.5k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash View Post

Speakers seem pretty big?! Are you looking for Bose size/style with better sound quality?

I would look into Kef, Orb or some of the smaller bookshelf speakers from Infinity, Polk, Klipsch. Just get out there and listen to them and pick the ones you like the best based on your size and SQ criteria, there really is no BEST for everyone, we all have diffrent needs and desires. For a receiver I would look at Onkyo, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha to stay with some good quality lower priced units.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Liked: 13
Lots of flexibility with the Orb's and they are not intrusive. Check out their website and read through the Orb official thread. I have had mine for over two years and have not had a moment of regret.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page