Need A Little Help In Denver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like many of you I have poured over the forums and reviews and have tussled with what to purchase and I think I have found the candidates.

My main goal is to build a system gradually with quality components... The good news is I am starting from scratch save the receiver which is an Onkyo 605. My room is about 10 x 20 x 8 (conservatively) with a dining room off the main which is about the same size. Makes a big "L"...

I listen mainly to Electronica, Rock, Hip Hop and New Age... Oh and I am trying to stay in the $500-$900 range for the mains. Unless I am missing something it seems to me that in the price point I am looking in a bookshelf with sub is the way to go over a floor stander(thought about the rocker rs450s???)...

I appreciate your input.

Considerations:

1. Ascend Sierra 1's (Would love to hear these!)
a. CMT-340's or 170's (could start with these then move them to rear.)
2. Paradigm Studio 20's
3. NHT Classic 3 (close out deals)
4. Canton ERGO 603 (close out deal)

I would love to audition the Ascend products and I am really leaning towards the sierras but I would like to listen to them before I pull the trigger. I am in Denver so if you live any where within a reasonable drive I would love to hear them.
PS I would love to addition any other speaker you may have that you think competes... ie swans, av123 , etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Definitely go and check out Cherry Creek Audio, Denver Audio Designs, and Audio Unlimited before you do anything else. There are probably many more dealers, those are the only ones I know about so far.

You can also get a set of used Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanders in your price range. I haven't heard them but they have quite the reputation around here.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah Cherry Creek Audio is nice and I auditioned some Paradigms s4's which ruined me on anything else they had... but I definitely was planning on checking out the other two. I will check out the Monitor Audio RS6 I have read a lot of good things about them.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I would check out two other speaker lines as well given what you listen to and your budget. The Klipsch RF series (bookshelf anf floorstanders fall within your budget), and a choice that may surprise some here: the Magnepan MMG planar speaker direct from Magnepan for $600 a pair. I own MMGs (used as mains until recently, now serving as surrounds) and they'll go very loud without distortion. My only concern with the MMGs would be the power of your receiver. A 605 will drive them, but Maggies in general love power (more current than wattage). Klipsch on the other hand are very efficient so your 605 will drive them well. Both speakers present a very different sound though, which is part of my basis the their recommendation. If Ultimate Electronics is still around (it's hard to keep track these days), I believe they carry the Klipsch RF series. Cherry Creek carries Magnepan, but I would be surprised if they had MMGs on hand since they are intended for direct order from Magnepan.

Save some of your speaker budget for Elemental Design's A2-300 sub (a steal in performance per dollar) http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407 and you'll be cooking with gas!

I live near Sloan's Lake and your more than welcome to come by if you want listen to the Maggies.

Eric
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

There's a friendly Revel dealer in the south metro area that is easy to work with and gave me an attractive quote:
http://www.logicintegration.net/logic/
denver Audio designs also carries Revel, but I've never talked to them.
It'll be pushing your budget, but definitely worth a look.
I live in Lafayette and have a very modest Infinity setup you're welcome to hear if you want to get an idea of the sonic signature. The entry level Revels are essentially a less compromised execution of the Beta design.

Another dealer I like ok is Gold Sound on South Broadway in Englewood. They carry Quad and Monitor Audio. The salesmen I've talked to there have been a little too into turntables and tubes for my taste, but they have seemed willing to make a deal.

As for Cherry Creek Audio, I hope you have better luck making a deal than I did!
post #6 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Would have never thought about the Magnepan's... I would definitely like to take a listen. I'll pm you and perhaps I can give them a listen. I do plan on upgrading to a separates system from Emotiva or a really nice HT receiver so I am not too concerned if the speaker I get is power hungry

Definitely going to get a sub and your recommendations are on my list along with an epik, hsu, svs and ed. Basically I am really looking to satr with a really nice 2.1 system which eventually I expand further to a 5.1.

I am going to spend the next few days going to the various shops and giving everything a good listen. Again my thanks for the input...
post #7 of 7 Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
In your price range, I'd really recommend that you consider a good pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub. A decent sub alone will run you at least $400. And since you are getting a sub, I think you will end up with better and more accurate sound overall if you go with bookshelf speakers instead of floorstanders. But listen to both types of set up and see if you can hear any difference.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page