Closed Thread

post #181 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mark Schiftler said-

"BTW... the substrate on the tops and bottoms is MDF... but the sides are "formed" using melamine (bad spelling I think) and tambor... with a third sheet of melamine under the veneer... THREE layers... with wonderful "constrained-layer dampening effects"...

This concerns me- could you clarify?

Surely you don't mean the wood veneer is glued straight onto melamine:eek: Most adhesives don't work well with melamine.

How 'bout a close up cross section picture?

Regards, Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Archrr (Sean)-

Oh! My! G-D! That is down right freaky. You look like me (20 years ago).

whew, Bruce
post #183 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 01:34 AM

Liked: 10
Sean...

I just looked at your HT pix.. and I just have to ask... those equipment you put on the cabinet on top of TV looks mighty high... how the heck do you get access to it?? I couldn't make out all of the equipment, but it seems like Tivo, ICBM, Samson Amp, VCR, Receiver & DVD Player? Just wondering.. :-)

Joel
post #184 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 01:36 AM

Guys,

I seem to recall that Steve Ozmai gave some links to some professionals links of the Diva in this forum, but I just couldn't seem to find it. Any of you can help?
This guy from this thread @ HTF is looking for some professional review of the Diva. Maybe you guys can help him?

JoelO
post #185 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 01:51 AM

Guys,

Here's a pix of the front of my living room. The C3 is tilted (although you can't really see it from the pix) so that the midrange is directed to ear level at the listening position, but the sound still kinda sounded from above.. should I direct the tweeter to the listening position instead? I just rearranged the living room and haven't had the chance to calibrate it yet. Any suggestion to improve the sound?

Joel
LL
post #186 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 01:54 AM

Here's the surround. Should I raise the surround more or you think that's an ideal height? Should I direct it more toward the sweet spot or just dioganally across the room? Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Joel
LL
post #187 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TinHere
Business is business:

<snip>
You offer a 30 day no questions asked return policy, and I think that anyone who has/had a problem was given ample time to address any issues, cosmetic or otherwise within that time frame. There are many ways for a finish to get abraded, and can't imagine anyone thinking that after time has passed that you should have any responsibility or be concerned with the finish of a speaker except to offer advice.
<snip>
TinHere - I agree with you completely. Just for the record, both Skip & myself are still within the warranty period for the Divas.

BTW, folks, I've seen many pix of the 2.1s and 6.1s here, but not too many of the 4.1s. So I've posted pix of my recently received units right here ... the pic of the left speaker came out particularly true - it's quite close to the actual speaker color.

I also posted a couple of closeup pix of the veneer on the front of the right unit - upon close inspection, it showed some (slight, to my eyes) flaws. Then again, I ask myself what kind of perfection I'm expecting for a $700 speaker!

If you like, please take a look at the veneer closeups (particularly closeup #2) w/a critical eye, and let me know what you think. Is this pretty close to the veneer quality on your own units?

G'nite!
post #188 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Business is business:

FWIW I was in the retail jewelry business in NYC for over twenty years. It amazed me how many times people came into the store and related how a stone "just fell out of the setting". They had done nothing to cause it in their minds, but invarialbly after seeing the mangled prongs under magnification it was very apparent that "something" had happened that they were unaware of. I don't expect any company to be able to deliver 100% without a problem and to make good if that is what's called for, but had I just replaced every stone that was a result of someone's misfortune I would have been out of business. You offer a 30 day no questions asked return policy, and I think that anyone who has/had a problem was given ample time to address any issues, cosmetic or otherwise within that time frame. There are many ways for a finish to get abraded, and can't imagine anyone thinking that after time has passed that you should have any responsibility or be concerned with the finish of a speaker except to offer advice. Nice is nice, but business is business and you can't be expected to do more than you offered when the business was transacted. The problems that were discussed I'm sure are real, but were they deemed not enough of a problem to act on within the 30 days? Could they be new? I'm sure Mark wants happy customers, but it seems to me this is something that should really be a non-issue, vis-a-vis Mark's responsibility, after the speakers were deemed keepable.

Mark,

Have a great trip. I'm anxious to see what you are planning for the "next phase". You have a tough act to follow. :)

Why is it that when anyone has anything other than absolute glowing reports of Diva's and the folks over at AV123, it invites instant attack? I've only had my Diva 4.1s for two weeks! It appears that only possitive comments about Diva's are allowed, otherwise you're accused of not knowing what you're talking about, or expecting something for nothing, or "up to something." This story about the lost diamonds is ridiculous! After having a tough time with shipping and even getting my 4.1s , I noticed my finish problem RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX and I resent any accusation that perhaps I or we did something to the finish we're unaware of? You don't think it's possible that a few bads ones slip by? I didn't want to believe I got a couple bad ones because the thought of having to pack these up reship and wait for fresh replacements was making me ill.

I have stated that I love the sound of these speakers now that I've got them more or less tweaked within my system. AND I've stated how pleased I've been with the responsiveness of AV123, especially Mark. However, there do seem to be a few shipping glitches etc. that Mark is definitely stepping up to the plate on, and he is being completely fair and reasonable in dealing with the blems I've got. I say, giving Mark and AV123 an opportunity to respond publically within this forum does nothing but reinforce the belief that the potential buyer need not be concerned with this company. They prove themselves to be straight shooters daily and in open view of the forum public. If all I ever read was glowing reports of "OMG, my Diva's... this and that..." and " Mark is such a glorious soul.... yada, yada..." I'd be suspicious. These are good people selling and supporting a fantastic product. I'm sure Mark knows that for every disatisfied customer, he can lose at least 10 potential customers and that if he can just make good for those who do slip through the cracks (myself) he'll garner new Diva fans that'll generate 10x the sales.

Again, these are great sounding speakers that are shipped with critical care, they are very well built, are a fantastic buy that is supported by great folks who really do care. I thought this all sounded too good to be true, but it's not. You really can't judge the ilk of a company until you've seen how they handle the clients that are unhappy for one reason or another and this is just another area where the vendors of Divas really shine. I don't want anyone to go broke or feel bad that not everyone is happy, but when you ALL report how wonderful the finish is on your Diva's... how beautiful, flawless, and stunning they are..... how perfect they sound, etc.... you set a standard of perfection that Mark and the folks at AV123 seem committed to uphold.

skip hunt
post #189 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 05:03 AM

So what does everyone do with their C3. My old relatively diminutive center sat on top of my RPTV. That is not going to work with the C3. At least not with some serious modification to the surface available on the top the the TV, some kind of custom shelf or something. So what do people do? I currently have it on the floor in front of the TV as a temporary solution. I don't intend to leave it there. I have a Toshiba 40" 16x9 RPTV. Any suggestions? Thanks.

David
post #190 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 05:21 AM

You guys are busy puppies! Got up this AM to check my e-mail and surfed over here...of course living on the east coast puts me ahead of the curve...but woah! I feel like I haven't read a post in weeks!

Thanks for the response Dave, can't wait for the Divas to sing for me. BTW, since they will be going into a dedicated HT, they really won't be seen much-not that I don't think that they look beautiful from the pics, it's just that my setup is front projection and I don't want anything reflecting light back onto the screen. The 6.1's and the C3 at least, will probably wind up being hidden behind an acoustical screen.

My thoughts on the Divas: What has really prompted me to order these is all of the comments about the C3 center channel. Since the vast majority of what one hears is dialog during a movie it just doesn't pay to start anywhere else but the center channel. From there there should be a seamless transition to the left and right.

I am a believer in building speakers to a task, and the task here is HT. Mostly what I see out there is the typical MTM setup for center channels. The problem is that almost all are 2-way systems. This can lead to unwanted coloration in the male voice if the woofer is asked to reproduce musical bass along with the spoken voice. A properly engineered 3-way is inherently cleaner simply because the use of a mid-range eliminates the smearing that can occur. Also, the vertical alignment of the C3 tweeter and the mid-range should explain why the off-axis response is reported to be very good. I think that vertical alignment is critical. I can live with a lot of things, but bad imaging isn't one of them. It all starts with the correct design, guys.

I do have some reservations about the R3 dipolar side units. I was tempted to go with my first intuition which is a second set of 2.1's but given that my HT won't be that wide I have concluded that perhaps I should use the R3's since they will be located just behind the front row and just ahead of the back row of seats. Could be wrong if they're too directional, since the speakers will be aimed approximately at each set of seats, but we'll see.

The 2.1's look just great for the rears in my 7.1 setup. Right now I have a wonderfully mis-matched set of speakers cobbled together. I can't wait for a unified setup.

All of which should be very interesting-especially to a friend of mine who worked for years with The Absolute Sound. He's going to be coming down to my house to help with the final setup. We'll see what he thinks of the Divas.

Bob
post #191 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

JoelO,

For movies, I would move your left speaker out more to make both mains equal distance to the TV for the best 5.1 sound. If you can remove your shelf above the TV and place the C3 it on the TV it would line up the tweeter heights better, but I realize that the C3 would probably crush your TV. :D Do you have it angled down?

Your rears are directs, so I would actually move them both in...just a tad. Just my suggestions.;)
post #192 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Netarc,

To me it looks like dried up tree sap, that was sanded down and painted over. Sap does not take up the varnish well. Still hard to tell from the pictures, but that is my opinion.:rolleyes:
post #193 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

skiphunt,

Calm down.:D I don't think that TinHere knew how long each person had their speaker. He was just making a general statement and if you were over the 30 day limit it would pertain to you, but it doesn't.

He does make a good point and I have NEVER seen a President of any company bend over backwards to resolve an issue even when it is over the 30 day period. I believe TinHere's statement was more of a testament to Mark and AV123's incredible support than a personal attack.:p
post #194 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 06:44 AM

netarc, nice pics ..... it look like your 4.1 have 3 pieces of wood on the sides, were i have the 6.1 and only have two pieces.mine are definitely .."book match".. yours look close, but when you get a different grain pattern you get a different color and finish. if it is not the exact same grain pattern it will stain different. . ...... i.m.o.... i don't think you are going to get anybody with the same looking speakers, the finish on them is very reveling of the wood..... plus if you dont like look send them back,mybe the next pair might be more to your style. ...good luck..:) :) :)
post #195 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Skip..
I tend to agree with MaxC..
Tinhere was making a "blanket" statement I believe. Nothing towards you personally.

What I also believe Tin was saying is, not ALL folks are as honest as everyone wants to believe.
If Mark was to give a nice credit because of a small blemish (which I am sure he would do in a hearbeat), and someone posted the details of the credit, I am sure that someone else would go over their speakers with a magnifying glass to see if they too had a blemish that they could garner a nice credit for. Even though, that blemish wasn't "really" noticable before.

Of course, we are talking of people that are out of the 30 day warranty period. I think this is where Tin was directing his "diamond story" about.
If it was that noticable before the 30day warranty period, it shoulda been brought to **********'s attention then, not after someone else got a nice credit.

I don't think anyone thinks bad of someone if they post something that they dislike about the Diva's.... but, I do believe that if there is any post about the Diva's, that there may be someone that can help out the person who has a question or problem about them. This truly is the place to come for any informaiton, no matter what brand you choose.
Have a great day!

The Truth IS out there!
post #196 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Business is business:

You offer a 30 day no questions asked return policy, and I think that anyone who has/had a problem was given ample time to address any issues, cosmetic or otherwise within that time frame. There are many ways for a finish to get abraded, and can't imagine anyone thinking that after time has passed that you should have any responsibility or be concerned with the finish of a speaker except to offer advice. Nice is nice, but business is business and you can't be expected to do more than you offered when the business was transacted. The problems that were discussed I'm sure are real, but were they deemed not enough of a problem to act on within the 30 days? Could they be new? I'm sure Mark wants happy customers, but it seems to me this is something that should really be a non-issue, vis-a-vis Mark's responsibility, after the speakers were deemed keepable.

I discovered some flaws on a couple of my speakers which had I noticed during the 30 day no questions asked return policy, I would have returned them for replacements.

This was my fault for not thoroughly inspecting each speaker once I was able to free them from their cardboard jail.

Upon delivery I was as excited as a five-year-old on Christmas morning, and I couldn't wait to get them set up.

I received 6.1s, 4.1s, 2.1s and C3 all at once, so you know what I was faced with, it was overwhelming.

The point that I'm leading up to, my part of the contract was to be thoroughly satisfied during the thirty days or return them. I lived up to my part of the contract, I kept them beyond the 30 days.

Approximately three months later when my Wife decided to do some redecorating I had to move the speakers so we had access to do some painting, this is when I noticed the flaws. I was mad at myself because I knew I Flubed up.

So if any of you are within your 30 days or are about to begin your 30 days do yourself a favor which is hard to do when you are in a euphoric state of excitement, get the speakers under some very bright lights and examine them and then get a second opinion from your significant other.

Mark, I'm not posting this for you to feel obligated to me. Actually I would be offended if you felt like you owed me anything, so please don't interpret this as sour grapes, I'm very satisfied with my speakers.

So friends please take the time to examine anything you purchase and live up to your part of the bargain, don't expect businesses to rectify problems beyond their terms of warranty or return policy.

Harley
post #197 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Netarcc.... I would love to see your pix... but again, GEOCITIES just isn't up to snuff!

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer"

Hours and hours we try eh??:(

I hate geocities, there are plenty more "free" hosting places out there..like www.fortunecity.com (my hockey site is
Here

Patiently awaiting!

The Truth IS out there!
post #198 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerHarley

I discovered some flaws on a couple of my speakers which had I noticed during the 30 day no questions asked return policy, I would have returned them for replacements.

This was my fault for not thoroughly inspecting each speaker once I was able to free them from their cardboard jail.

Upon delivery I was as excited as a five-year-old on Christmas morning, and I couldn't wait to get them set up.

I received 6.1s, 4.1s, 2.1s and C3 all at once, so you know what I was faced with, it was overwhelming.

The point that I'm leading up to, my part of the contract was to be thoroughly satisfied during the thirty days or return them. I lived up to my part of the contract, I kept them beyond the 30 days.

Approximately three months later when my Wife decided to do some redecorating I had to move the speakers so we had access to do some painting, this is when I noticed the flaws. I was mad at myself because I knew I Flubed up.

So if any of you are within your 30 days or are about to begin your 30 days do yourself a favor which is hard to do when you are in a euphoric state of excitement, get the speakers under some very bright lights and examine them and then get a second opinion from your significant other.

Mark, I'm not posting this for you to feel obligated to me. Actually I would be offended if you felt like you owed me anything, so please don't interpret this as sour grapes, I'm very satisfied with my speakers.

So friends please take the time to examine anything you purchase and live up to your part of the bargain, don't expect businesses to rectify problems beyond their terms of warranty or return policy.

Harley
Good Morning Harley...

Absolutely NO offense taken... and I agree with your comments 1000% (extra zero)...:)

I DO understand that poop does happen... and I also get that we can be excited with new arrivals (I was with my new SONY laptop a few weeks ago)... I'm only human... and so are all of you...

Thanks for putting it in a good light Harley...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #199 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine
I've been thinking that perhaps some of us Diva owners should collaborate to make an unofficial Diva FAQ. ********** is obviously up to its ears right now and I think there are advantages to an impartial FAQ, separately hosted anyway.

I have plenty of web space on any number of domains to host such an FAQ, so just for fun I put a list of questions up on the Web that I think would belong in a Diva FAQ.

Click HERE to see the FAQ questions I have compiled.

You'll see that there aren't answers to any of these questions yet because I wanted to see what others thought before undertaking something like this.

What do you guys think? Anyone interested in helping? :)

--Steve

Steve,

that is a great idea and what you've done looks fantastic. I'll try to think of a few more questions for ya.

Rob
post #200 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RJM3
You guys are busy puppies! Got up this AM to check my e-mail and surfed over here...of course living on the east coast puts me ahead of the curve...but woah! I feel like I haven't read a post in weeks!

Thanks for the response Dave, can't wait for the Divas to sing for me. BTW, since they will be going into a dedicated HT, they really won't be seen much-not that I don't think that they look beautiful from the pics, it's just that my setup is front projection and I don't want anything reflecting light back onto the screen. The 6.1's and the C3 at least, will probably wind up being hidden behind an acoustical screen.

My thoughts on the Divas: What has really prompted me to order these is all of the comments about the C3 center channel. Since the vast majority of what one hears is dialog during a movie it just doesn't pay to start anywhere else but the center channel. From there there should be a seamless transition to the left and right.

I am a believer in building speakers to a task, and the task here is HT. Mostly what I see out there is the typical MTM setup for center channels. The problem is that almost all are 2-way systems. This can lead to unwanted coloration in the male voice if the woofer is asked to reproduce musical bass along with the spoken voice. A properly engineered 3-way is inherently cleaner simply because the use of a mid-range eliminates the smearing that can occur. Also, the vertical alignment of the C3 tweeter and the mid-range should explain why the off-axis response is reported to be very good. I think that vertical alignment is critical. I can live with a lot of things, but bad imaging isn't one of them. It all starts with the correct design, guys.

I do have some reservations about the R3 dipolar side units. I was tempted to go with my first intuition which is a second set of 2.1's but given that my HT won't be that wide I have concluded that perhaps I should use the R3's since they will be located just behind the front row and just ahead of the back row of seats. Could be wrong if they're too directional, since the speakers will be aimed approximately at each set of seats, but we'll see.

The 2.1's look just great for the rears in my 7.1 setup. Right now I have a wonderfully mis-matched set of speakers cobbled together. I can't wait for a unified setup.

All of which should be very interesting-especially to a friend of mine who worked for years with The Absolute Sound. He's going to be coming down to my house to help with the final setup. We'll see what he thinks of the Divas.

Bob
Hi Bob...

You're right on the money...

70% of the HT trick is getting the center channel really right... so, I agree...

BTW... the off-axis response is wonderful as noted...

Please let us know if we can support you further...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #201 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
skiphunt,

Calm down.:D I don't think that TinHere knew how long each person had their speaker. He was just making a general statement and if you were over the 30 day limit it would pertain to you, but it doesn't.

He does make a good point and I have NEVER seen a President of any company bend over backwards to resolve an issue even when it is over the 30 day period. I believe TinHere's statement was more of a testament to Mark and AV123's incredible support than a personal attack.:p

I could go on and on, but THAT would be ridiculous since MaxC [thank you] put it very succinctly , with stress on "general statement". As I stated no company is going to be able to deliver 100% without the occasional anomaly. This is more likely when natural products are used given their uniqueness and the subjectiveness in determining "good" from 'bad" where individual taste is concerned.
post #202 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was interested in reading both Tinhere's and Skip's posts. They both bring up valid points. Skip is well within his rights to be concerned about the finish on his speakers, and he has identified the problem well within the 30 day period. After the 30 days, as with any company, you've been fairly dealt with. (The AC went out on my truck a month after the warranty was up. Ford just laughed at me. Everyone has a story like this.) At most companies though you can't talk to the president the same day about it. I think that maybe some of the early buyers of the Divas myself included inadvertently raised the bar for AV123 with our astonishment at the value they provided. However, as Tin pointed out, there is no way to ship a product with a natural finish and get it perfect everytime. I used to have a cabinet shop where we built doors and cabinets for our homes, and eventually gave it up because it was definitely the weak link, if that isn't your speciality which was my case. If you are mass producing boxes like Swans does, I'm amazed they get out as many perfect ones as they do.
I also think that owners are entitled to voice their opinions both positive and negative without being ganged up on. We're only after the trollers. :D
Have a Great Day everyone.

Russ Tarvin
If it's too loud, you're too old.
post #203 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve,
That is a fantastic job you did on the FAQ page. It looks well thought out and must have been a lot of work. Now if we can fill in the answers . I'm willing to help.

Russ Tarvin
If it's too loud, you're too old.
post #204 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine
I've been thinking that perhaps some of us Diva owners should collaborate to make an unofficial Diva FAQ. ********** is obviously up to its ears right now and I think there are advantages to an impartial FAQ, separately hosted anyway.

Click HERE to see the FAQ questions I have compiled.

What do you guys think? Anyone interested in helping? :)

--Steve
Steve, nicely done. I think you did an excellent job and the questions you have already are well thought out. You got my vote.

Dennis
post #205 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 11:03 AM

Russ,

When seen as the totality of value that the Diva's represent I was just a little put off thinking from a business POV [i.e. cabinet shop] that if everyone took out the magnifing glass the lack of profitability would be quickly attained. I think it would be a sad day if the Diva's were only available in "perfect" vinyl, but they would still be a great buy because of the sound they deliver.

I have no qualms with any decision anyone makes about the Diva's in a timely manner. I lean more toward "consumer rights" than I am a "company" man. When I "troll" I confront an issue of fact not supposition. Forget looks, not EVERYONE will even like the way they sound. It doesn't make them wrong, it's just an opinion. The only one that has to be pleased with your speakers is YOU no matter what the criteria.
post #206 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 11:48 AM

Great job on taking the initiative on the FAQ, Steve, but I believe that the speakers shown in the picture are, from left to right:

4.1, 3.1, 6.1, 2.1, and 5.1

Of course the 3.1 is no longer available.

Still waiting for the bucks to get my set :)

Steve V.

Steve V.
post #207 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 11:59 AM

I do agree with what Tinhere had to say for the most part. I probably took it too personal and I was concerned that perhaps I'd started everyone taking out the ol' magnifying glass. Kind of wishing I'd not brought the issue up publically, but in a PM instead. However, I do think it benefits AV123 when potential customers, who are concerned about buying speakers unheard online, get to witness just how fair and reasonable AV123 handles cases that go slightly less than perfect. I know it helped me on making my decision.

Great customer service has seemed to be a thing of the past as of the last few years. But, I believe Mark and AV123 are brilliant for focusing not only on delivering high value merchandise, but pairing that up with second-to-none customer support. I'm sure companies like AV123 will be the only ones standing 5-10 years from now based on this philosophy. We can only hope.

Because I'm within my 30 day trial and you don't need a magnifying glass to see the finish flaw in my 4.1s (probably the over-sprayed during monsoon culprit), Mark has been completely fair in dealing with my situation. He can either absorb the cost to cross ship me fresh 4.1s, or offer me a discount of about the same price he'd absorb on additional product. If my 30 trial had elapsed, and I'd failed to bring up any of my concerns, I certainly wouldn't expect any supplier to honor the 30 day no questions asked return policy, no matter how great I thought their customer support to be.

BTW: I don't think my 4.1s were really fully broken in. I'd turned off my surround processing to just send 2 channels to the 4.1s, left them pounding away out of phase for 25hrs at high volume with loads of pillows and blankets to muffle the sound until complete. However, I'd not changed the speaker setting to LARGE from SMALL and had not turned the subwoofer off. So, the Diva's weren't actually getting much of the low stuff. Now that I've got them set to LARGE and the sub off, I've been pounding some serious drum and base for the last couple of days, and I can already hear even more improvement. Not that they didn't sound great before, just that they're still surprising me.

To TimHere, no harm no foul. I reread your post and I believe I took your general comments personally. Sorry.

skip hunt
post #208 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

So...

While I'm trying to decide whether to keep or return my Diva 4.1s for another pair (for two possible reasons - 1) small blemishes on the 4.1s I need to decide if I can live with, 2) sound - still need to do an accurate comparison of 4.1 v. DM601, to see how much of a "forward" presence I really want), I gets to thinkin', "Heck, it's not that much farther to a 6.1, after all! :)

However, real life has interfered w/that hope, in that the space I have for the L/R speakers is just too limited for something that large. But the 5.1 might work (it's only 1" wider than the 4.1)!!

So I'm curious - what's the main difference between the 4.1 and 5.1? The only thing I can discern from AV123's site (besides the slightly larger woofers) shows the 5.1 as a 3-way, 3-driver system, 4th-order, whereas the 4.1 is a 2-way, 3-driver system ... sorry for the ignorance, but what the heck's that mean?

Actually, I know that 3-driver means 2x woofer, 1x tweet ... but what's 3-way v. 2-way? For that matter, I'm also curious what "4th order" specifies.

BTW, I intend to use the system for 70% HT / 30% Music, so I'd probably prefer whichever of these handles the former better.

It seems that the majority of folks on this board have 6.1s (gee...suddenly I'm feelin a lil' inadequate!), a small group have 4.1s, and even fewer have the 5.1s. But anyone who can comment on 4.1 v. 5.1 (or even 6.1 ... heh), your input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

- Ali
post #209 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by skiphunt

To TimHere, no harm no foul. I reread your post and I believe I took your general comments personally. Sorry.

skip hunt
Scup, :D
No problem, it was certainly your post that got me thinking about the ramifcations and I know Mark&Co. will seemingly do anything to satisfy a customer. I just thought it was important that the limits of their responsibility be brought to the fore/forum.

Ali,
I have the 5.1's and don't know what I'm missing. :)
post #210 of 3039 Old 02-05-2002, 01:13 PM

Why does Swan choose a silk dome tweeter for its its tweeter? Yes, silk and cloth tweeters in general are great. But, cloth tweeters have a problem. They lose their sound over time and even deteriorate, having to be replaced. Now, I know Totem Acoustic learned a way to avoid this by making a nice metal tweeter, through a non cost effective process. And still Totem's tweeters can conquer all in some situations.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page