Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 3039 Old 01-31-2002, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is being started in an effort to organize the overwhelming Diva traffic that has started to monopolize the front page of the AVS Audio Forum lately.
The Divas are a loudspeaker system that many of the current contributors to this Forum consider to be an extraordinary price/performance/service value in today's crowded and confusing audio market. While most of the owners who have purchased the Divas are enthusiastic about our systems, none of us to my knowledge has any professional association with the company who markets the product.
The Divas are designed and marketed by AV123, an American company, and manufactured in China. The owner and associates of AV123 occasionally post here in an effort to answer any questions that cannot be answered by the other contributors. Their posts are clearly marked as to their professional relationship with the company. They are:
Mark Schifter, President
Steve Ozmai, Associate
Russell Woolfolk, Associate
The Diva web site can be viewed here: www.**********

Clearly the groundswell of interest in the Diva speakers will result in the occasional battle of wits. I'm confident however that we can continue to post our questions and experiences both positive and negative in the friendly, conscientious manner the current Diva owners are famous for.
As an enthusiastic Diva owner myself, I would like to thank the Forum owners and moderators for allowing us room on their site to continue these discussions, and thank the other Divans for their past contributions and current assistance in directing traffic here for the time being.
Thanks, and have fun,
Russ Tarvin
Here are the links to the two monster threads:
Diva by Swans Part 1
Diva by Swans Part 2
Diva FAQ Page
Diva Audition Registry is here.
I never expected this thread to get so big, so now I've been asked to remind people that by using the search function they can easily navigate to any topic or post they are interested in, and believe me, if it has anything to do with Divas, it is in here somewhere you just have to look. And thank you all for making this thread such a success.
Russ

Russ Tarvin
If it's too loud, you're too old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3039 Old 01-31-2002, 08:05 AM
pmf
Advanced Member

Well done Russ. Check your PM.

PF
post #3 of 3039 Old 01-31-2002, 08:17 AM

God bless this thread....
post #4 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 07:09 AM
pmf
Advanced Member

Steve, I think this was brought up way back in the part 1 thread. I recall it was either weight limit &/or handling issue that AV123 decided to use private freight companies. Unfortunately even these folks still have occasional problems with individual local vendor/contractors. All you can do is notify AV123 and see if they can somehow straighten things out for you or at least so the next customer will fare better.

Btw, they do ship FedEx on some of their other products, I believe. Thanks for you great review on the 6.1 & Paradigm RS100. I agree your bigger room & smaller amp did have some influence on the outcome. Have a good one.

PF
post #5 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Russ. I'm only bummed 'cause I was hoping the break the 'page views' record. Well, I don't know what the record is, but at DVDtalk.com, they have a thread with over 102,000 views :)

I am sure you are all waiting in dire anticipation *dripping with sarcasm*, for pics of my new audio rack. Well, it's done (almost) and in my home...well...apartment anyway. I'll get some pics up this weekend :D (I'm just happy I'm finally done - for a month or two anyway hehe)

Sean

Owner - Skiing Ninja Systems
post #6 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 08:27 AM

Where are the Divas made? In the US or somewhere else?
post #7 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine
OK, if this is the unofficial thread...

Why doesn't AV123 use FedEx ground?

--Steve
We are actually looking at that now...

We LOVE USF and I used them for a long time at Genesis also. DHL as well is the best of the best for the type and style of package delivery they do...

Thanks...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #8 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rsg_1
Where are the Divas made? In the US or somewhere else?
They are made in The People's Republic of China...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #9 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dj1s
God bless this thread....
All of us join in your nice comment... :)

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #10 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rt297
This thread is being started in an effort to organize the overwhelming Diva traffic that has started to monopolize the front page of the AVS Audio Forum lately.
The Divas are a loudspeaker system that many of the current contributors to this Forum consider to be an extraordinary price/performance/service value in today's crowded and confusing audio market. While most of the owners who have purchased the Divas are enthusiastic about our systems, none of us to my knowledge has any professional association with the company who markets the product.
The Divas are designed and marketed by AV123, an American company, and manufactured in China. The owner and associates of AV123 occasionally post here in an effort to answer any questions that cannot be answered by the other contributors. Their posts are clearly marked as to their professional relationship with the company. They are:
Mark Schifter, President
Steve Ozmai, Associate
Russell Woolfolk, Associate
The Diva web site can be viewed here: www.**********
Clearly the groundswell of interest in the Diva speakers will result in the occasional battle of wits. I'm confident however that we can continue to post our questions and experiences both positive and negative in the friendly, conscientious manner the current Diva owners are famous for.
As an enthusiastic Diva owner myself, I would like to thank the Forum owners and moderators for allowing us room on their site to continue these discussions, and thank the other Divans for their past contributions and current assistance in directing traffic here for the time being.
Thanks, and have fun,
Russ Tarvin
Hey Russ...

We most defintely join in expressing our sincerest thanks...

and for your kind words...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #11 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rsg1,
Please see the first post in this thread. :)

My Divas came US Freight in 3 days. I wasn't home, but they were stacked neatly in my garage when I got there. Boy was Shelly surprised.

Sean,
Oops, sorry man. :o I had no idea we had a chance at a record. Did we hit a record for AVS? Parts 2 will continue to live on I'm sure. There is too much Diva historical info archived there as well as in part one. It's probably better than having it locked. This way, it can still be bumped.

Russ Tarvin
If it's too loud, you're too old.
post #12 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Hi
Mark check you PM
Thats all I wanted to say Hey it adds to my post count OK :D
Ray
post #13 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that Russ is the man...

Here is the final breakdown:

rt297 118
pmf 64
Archrr 49
MaxC 43
Mark L. Schifter 36
HuskerHarley 31
Steve Ozmai 26
bigwally 25
phyre3 23
JoelO 18

Russ killed everyone with his DivaLove :D

post #14 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 10:19 AM

On with the new thread. I ordered my set of Divas earlier this week and they have shipped via US Freightways. The tracking provided seems very lacking. I have no idea where my speakers are. A portion of the tracking reads as follows.

Origin/Country: LAX / US Dest./Country: BOS / US

What does this mean? Where are the speakers? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am eagerly anticipating their arrival. Thanks.

David
post #15 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

I'd like to clear up some misconceptions regarding the "Made In China" issues some AVS members have commented on.

On occasions, I've seen members referring to the Chinese made Divas as "supporting sweat shops, supporting Communism, and inferior build."

These misconceptions are far from the truth. Steve, Russel, and Mark showed us the link to the Hi-Vi Research factory tour. From all evidence shown, the factory is modern and very efficient. The factory seem to be top notch with sleeping and recreation quarters (see basketball court) and I'm sure air conditioning in buildings. And as one can see, there are no employees "sweating" to make these speakers.

The Hi-Vi Research in Panyu qualifies as one of the better Chinese factories in the Donguang Province. I can tell you this because my company's factory is also in the same province. Our company started building the Chinese factory in 1992 and have since grown to 200,000 sq. feet. It is very modern with provisions for the workers such as AC, sleeping quarters, basketball court, sanitized bathrooms, and even food allocations. It was the first factory in the province to set this standard with hundreds to follow thereafter.

Chinese made should not equate to inferior parts (that honor belongs to the Taiwanese companies :) - an inside manufacturers joke). Hundreds of US companies use China for their products. In my company's case, we manufacture ethernet, power, and telecom components. And I can tell you that leading NASDAQ networking companies don't come to us for inferior parts; it's all about the quality. Many Chinese companies are either TUV or ISO certified and I'm sure Hi-Vi is no exception.

Chinese labor might be cheap, but I can tell you the workers would gladly work in these modern air conditioned factories vs. their alternatives.

And the so-called concern of "supporting communism" is ludicrous. What decade are these members living in when they make such comments! Look at your computers, clothing, electronics...without China, do you really think Wal-Mart would be the leading revenue company on the Fortune 500?

This is a global market and Hi-Vi fits nicely into that. Bravo to them and AV123 for bringing these speakers to our shores with high quality and value.

A side note - I'm only 50hrs. in breaking my Divas. A review of them vs. my old Monitor Audio Silver series to follow in a couple weeks.
post #16 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

post #17 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidac
On with the new thread. I ordered my set of Divas earlier this week and they have shipped via US Freightways.
Good luck David, I'm sure they will be there soon. You're lucky though. I ordered my 6.1's, c3, r3's on Wednesday and was told that the 6.1's are backordered until sometime around the 14th of Feb. Geez, I hope that Paradigm RS100 gremlin doesn't strike before they ship. :)

Rob
post #18 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I mentioned this on another thread but like to suggest it again here:

I think that we should re-direct "Diva" related questions to this thread so that duplicate questions don't get asked, so that all questions get answered, and so other threads don't get bumped off (to fast):D. Also, this would help others who may have the same question from having to read several threads, or doing a search and coming up with 30 possible hits. I think if new Diva threads pop up we should direct the person to post in this thread. What do you all think?
post #19 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 12:36 PM

OMG, I need to get some of these Divas just so I can join the LoveFest.

Kidding.

I've never heard em, but they really do look like a solid value for the $. My next puchase might be a few of the bookshelves for multi-room listening.

--Steve
post #20 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my Diva package (sans the back-ordered 2.1s :( ... btw, anyone have an idea when the 2.1s will ship? - no biggie for now, as I can use a pair of B&W 601s for surrounds for a bit)

Had to leave work to meet the driver at my house, so I didn't have too much time to "tend" to them - but I did manage to unpack one 4.1 (man, it's true what folks say about the sweeeet packaging job AV123 does ... thanks, fellas!) and sneak a quick peak at the finish - looks beaut! It's true what folks say - the pix don't do these things justice!

Now if only they sound 1/2 as good as folks claim!! :D

I'll find out this weekend, though - will be picking up my receiver tonight (decided on the Denon 3802 - thanks for the input on the other thread, all!)

One question - while the brass-plated feet that came w/the 4.1s are quite nice, a satin/brushed nickel finish would work 100x better w/our decor!

Anyone know where I might be able to find feet w/this finish that would work w/Divas? If not, AV123 - have you folks ever considered selling a satin/brushed nickel finish "footer option kit" for the speakers?

Thanks again, all!

- Ali
post #21 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FWIW, I just received my Avia CD in the mail yesterday, reset my Diva speakers using the RatShak SPM ($30 - get the analog unit, not the digital) and immediately noticed an improved soundstage. The soundstage was already quite large--now its even more balanced, sweet and smooth. Matched w/a Mirage FRx-S10 subwoofer, these Diva's are dream. Now waiting for my MX-500 remote to top it all off.

HT:
Tosh 57HX81 RPTV
Swans Diva 4.1's, C-3, 2.1's, B&W DM 602 rear
Mirage FRx-S10 subwoofer
Denon 2802 A/V receiver
Tosh 4700 DVD
Onkyo C-380 CD
JVC S-VHS
DCT-2000 STB for ComCast DC
post #22 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prestonrich
. Now waiting for my MX-500 remote to top it all off.
You're going to LOVE that remote. Be sure to get you a cheap RS learning remote so you can add your advanced codes and you'll be set.

take care,

Rob
post #23 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine

Ha ha ha. You know you made the right choice, plus the Divas will make a great Valentine's Day gift to yourself :)

--Steve
LOL....you're right Steve, but...hmmmm....have to get something for the wife if I'm getting the Diva's. Well, there's another plus for the Divas over the Paradigms. Don't have to spend as much on a make up gift for the wife... :)

Rob
post #24 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 01:47 PM

Mark,

Have you guys thought about setting up a registry of Diva owners willing to demo for potential buyers in their area. I, for one, would be more than happy to show off. I've just noticed a lot of replies where folks want to listen before they buy. You could have your own force of advocates, kinda like Apple does.

Just a thought,
Paul
post #25 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidac
On with the new thread. I ordered my set of Divas earlier this week and they have shipped via US Freightways. The tracking provided seems very lacking. I have no idea where my speakers are. A portion of the tracking reads as follows.

Origin/Country: LAX / US Dest./Country: BOS / US

What does this mean? Where are the speakers? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am eagerly anticipating their arrival. Thanks.
Hi David,

I'm posting on line to address your concern and maybe to help other's in understanding how US Freightways tracks your products and what information is available on their web site.

First, the tracking numbers are available to you 48hr after the speakers ship. Sometimes faster but 48hrs is usually the case.

This btw, is a new tracking system for USF (less than 3 weeks old). We hope that more information will be available on line as they improve their system.

The status of your shipment on their web site gives you the following:
1. Ship date (when they actually left CA) is 1/30/2002.
2. Origin/Country LAX (Los Angeles USA)
3. Destination/ Country (Boston, USA) Office handling the delivery

Typical time to a destination point is inside 3-5 business days...
Once the product reaches it's destination the shipping company will call to set up an appointment to deliver the speakers to you...
To expedite your shipments we recommend that you contact USF at 800 336-2479. They will have more specific information on tracking your delivery...

David your speakers are scheduled to be delivered on February 5th. They will call you on Monday to arrange... I called and was able to get this information.

While most carriers give you more tracking information on their web site, USF in our opinion remains the most reliable overall. We continue to use USF because they are the most flexible and are very reliable in comparison to the larger carriers. From time to time there is a bump in the road but, they have always worked with us to resolve issues to the customers (YOUR) satisfaction.

Our main concern is YOU! We will do everything humanly possible
to make certain your delivery is as smooth as possilbe.

Please don't hesitate to call any of us directly if we can assist you with your deliveries....

Russell Woolfolk
Sales Director AV123/Perpetual Technologies
RWoolfolk@**********
877 543-7500 (US)
770 475-6333
post #26 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by netarc
It's true what folks say - the pix don't do these things justice!
- Ali
Yup...check it out:

http://home.attbi.com/~archer204/web6.1atwork2.jpg

post #27 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I will say that I had a decent experience with the local shipping company today.

Although I had originally hoped they would deliver the systems to my house yesterday (when somebody was home the whole day!) - apparently the speakers arrived in SF on Wed - they were nice enough to work with me in scheduling a delivery window for today (Friday).

Their original window was between 10 - 2 (sigh, in which case I may as well just have taken the day off!) ... but I called 'em this morning, and the SF contact (Hermeet?) was good enough to give me a much tighter estimate of when the driver would show ... as it was, by the time I got home he'd been waiting 15 minutes.

So either the SF shippers are pretty good, or I gots lucky :D
post #28 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to add..

USF was very nice to me as well. Worked with me on the time and the driver even helped me carry all the speakers up two flights of stairs...

Excellent service :tu:

Sean

post #29 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 03:12 PM
pmf
Advanced Member

Didn't I mention I even tipped my delivery person for being helpful & punctual? And yes they did work with me for a more specific delivery time as well. :D

I also second Paul's suggestion on the owners' registry on a straight voluntary basis probably operated by someone other than AV123 (how 'bout a Diva club headed by who else but Russ) but with may be some kinda unofficial incentive from AV123 such as extended warranty or special discount, etc. Of course even something like this has to be cleared from a legal, liability prospective first.

PF
post #30 of 3039 Old 02-01-2002, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I was to see your comments Vu... I am very sensitive to being called a Communist in other threads (on other web sites and forums) because of my work in China and Russia. It hurt me a good one... I LOVE MY COUNTRY... and I recognize (maybe more than most) what is happening in China at this time. I so enjoy living there and being a contributing guest to their homeland.

The Hi Vi factories are in fact in current ISO requirements and standards... and although they can be a little warm in the Summer time... for the 99.9th percentile they are wonderful places to work. The spray booths can be toasty and uncomfortable at times... but this is really the norm ANYWHERE...

I will have lots more to say later in March about all of this. I hope to bring up to 6 members to the PRC for a tour of "the works" :)

Thanks once again...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page