3-channel HT setup: sub or center more important? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to the configuration of our living room and budget requirements, upgrading our current home theater "stereo" setup has some interesting constraints. The new Pioneer Kuro sound is emitting from an Optonica receiver and a pair of KEF speakers. Yep: both are 30 years old and -- to my ear -- sound remarkable. But perhaps I can do/hear better.

Say we keep the KEFs. Adding ANY other channel will require a new receiver (suggestions welcome) but my question concerns which should come first: a center channel speaker or a subwoofer. As it stands, these old KEF's disperse bass that actually shakes the paintings on our walls, but Magnolia is telling me that a sub will add a LOT more than a center would.

Who has faced down this dilemma and would like to provide me with lots of fee advice?

Thanks and happy listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Would your receiver happen to have a subwoofer pre-out? Because if not, I would advise on getting a newer receiver first. I connected my subwoofer via speaker level inputs/outputs before and the output was just weird and so different from a subwoofer pre-out.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

if you are doing this for movies I'd definitely try adding a center channel since it does 70% of the work. You will have a hard time finding a center channel to properly timbre match your 30 year old KEF's. On the other hand adding a sub is only going to enhance your lower frequencies below 40-30hz depending on how low your KEF's can go. My opinion would be add a center channel and run a 3.0 set up, you'll be much happier than adding sub.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post

if you are doing this for movies I'd definitely try adding a center channel since it does 70% of the work. You will have a hard time finding a center channel to properly timbre match your 30 year old KEF's. On the other hand adding a sub is only going to enhance your lower frequencies below 40-30hz depending on how low your KEF's can go. My opinion would be add a center channel and run a 3.0 set up, you'll be much happier than adding sub.

Only problem I can see with adding a center channel would be... his KEF's are 30 years old.

And would the receiver he has, actually have provisions for connecting a center channel?

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

As I sorta mentioned in the original thread, I know that if I decide to add either a sub or a center then a new receiver will come first. (Or at last at exactly the same time, heh heh.)

Good point about matching up the KEF's with a new center.... could be a challenge. Keep in mind I'm certainly not adverse to considering new front speakers, but now we're probably taking abou tacking on another three to four thousand clams. Sure, I could go cheaper, but since I've listened to some DAMN fine speakers this week (Martin-Logan Purity, Sanus Faber Gran Piano, Vienna Acoustic Beethoven and perhaps my favs, the Definitive Mythos ST Tower) I suppose that there's ALWAYS room for improvement.

Of course......... my wallet could use some improvement as well!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page