I have $3000 to spend for 5.1 setup. PLEASE HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I need help on deciding what speakers and sub to get. $3000 is my budget. I already have an onkyo 805 reciever. I use to own a 5.1 klipsch synergy speaker system but I notice they gave me a headache when I listened to them so I sold them. Can anyone recommend a 5.1 setup in a medium or large size room? I watch alot of blu ray on the ps3 and listen to music. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

What about the Klipsch gave you a headache?
post #3 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

What about the Klipsch gave you a headache?

Probably ear fatigue. Like all speakers, the sound they emit is very subjective, and the Klipsch are known for being bright, and forward sounding.

If you are looking for something that is on the opposite end of the spectrum, you can look at KEF, Monitor Audio, Vienna Acoustics and Salk Sound. Now, these all sound very different, but not known for being on the bright side (atleast in comparison to Klipsch).

As for a sub, I would look to any one of the ID brands in the form of Epik, SVS, HSU, eD, AV123(not so confident on this one, but the MFW-15 is a great buy)
post #4 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

See if you have a LSA dealer nearby, I really liked those, they give a really huge soundstage, maybe B&W as well maybe.

Rahimlee54

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
post #5 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Welcome to the Forums! That's a healthy budget for a 5.1 system, and the 805 is a nice receiver with plenty of power for most speakers, but be aware that the Klipsch's you had are very efficient so you may not reach the same level of dynamics you had with them.....but then again it doesn't seem like that matters given the headaches! LOL

This kind of post will yield tons of useless replies filled with subjective opinions about speaker a,b,z and everything in between (see above post already started!)If you were low budget limited, it would be a different story, There's just too much available to go this route without needless confusion. If possible, try and narrow the field a bit with some useful information and here's a few tips.

With a 5.1 system using a sub, no need for the added cost of large floorstanding speakers. The bass these produce by employing the larger cabinets and extra drivers will be wasted as it will be redirected to the subwoofer by the AVR.....which is much better suited to Low Frequency reproduction.

Center channels lock the dialogue to the screen and need to be able to hold their own against the left and right mains. Todays crop of compromise by design center channels often result in poor imaging and off axis response, where listeners to the left and right straining to hear dialogue. Be extremely carefull in your choices here. 3 way center channels using an midrange tweeter vertical alignment will perform better, and only a few mfgrs are producing this type.

Expect 25-30% of your budget for a sub. Cheap subs are a dime a dozen. You'll need something that can cross over smoothly to the main speakers as well as produce clean undistorted bass to 20hz for the full HT experience. If your spending $3k, you might as well get the most from it. Internet brands are a great deal, but sometimes the high shipping costs outweigh the savings of a commercial cash and carry deal. Explore the options and look for free shipping where possible.

The economy is in a free-fall and there's some awesome deals available on some great gear, but be carefull something that's too good to be true often isn't and with a $3k budget, price shopping should play it's fare share and not the driving force of your decisions. Find a balance between quality and value. It's out there.

I'd start by choosing the Left,right and Center speaker first based on available placement options, quality, appearance and value...in that order.

Look for applicable surrounds based on placement limitations such as behind the listener, to the sides, high mounted and the like. Sometimes dipole/bipole surrounds are the best option considering your intended placement. They make the HT surround tracks convincing instead of hoakey extra speakers that are easily locatable and directional in nature.

I know this is a bit of info to process, so i hope i've helped and not complicated things. In truth you really can't just thow $$$ at a speaker system and expect great results. You've taken the right step by coming here in the first place, so continue the trend and avoid the SpeakerA over SpeakerB thing..it's such a waste of time IMO.
post #6 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Great post Mayhem, but it seems that the OP may not exactly be familiar with the other offerrings that may be available to him. Your post has a good basis/foundation, but in the end, he needs to listen for himself.

To say "don't waste your money on floorstanders" (or something like that), is a rather broad statement. Now, I am not saying that I do not necessarily disagree with you, but what if that is what he wants? Does that make everyone else wrong for having floorstanders? There is more to a tower than just full full range of sound/LF's.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd agree with you on most points, but you must agree that it's very hard to do a usefull audition these days. Too many factors to contend with to make it anywhere near an accurate representation of what it will sound like in his own home setting...wouldn't you agree? And i really can't suggest people go to dedicated better than big box stores to demo equipment in a better but still limited surrounding, only to price shop and buy from somewhere else at a discount.....that's just wrong. BUT, if after narrowing things down a bit, the OP may find a fellow forum member who has the speakers he's considering and can stop by for a listen....well...that's a golden opportunity.

You're right, the statement about floorstanders is broad, but on a $3k budget, a good quality Floortander is probobly not within reality with other speakers to yet purchase. I may have been without tact in my delivery, but the intention was spot on....all things being equal to $3k! LOL

Forgive me for my directness, i'm just so tired of the replies these posts generate. My intention was to give the OP an informative starting point to start narrowing the field a bit considering his investement and budget.
post #8 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

I'd agree with you on most points, but you must agree that it's very hard to do a usefull audition these days. Too many factors to contend with to make it anywhere near an accurate representation of what it will sound like in his own home setting...wouldn't you agree?

You're right, the statement about floorstanders is broad, but on a $3k budget, a good quality Floortander is probobly not within reality with other speakers to yet purchase. I may have been without tact in my delivery, but the intention was spot on....all things being equal to $3k! LOL

Well, that is, was, and always will be the case regarding auditioning, but it gives you an idea of a particular speakers sonical characteristics.

I couldn't agree more though, which is why most offer a free 30 day trial.

3K can be sufficient, if he knows where to look. Personally, I feel Audiogon is the way to go, as he can end up with a system that would normally be completely outside of his means.

Regarding your edit: I am with you!
post #9 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

As for a sub, I would look to any one of the ID brands in the form of Epik, SVS, HSU, eD, AV123(not so confident on this one, but the MFW-15 is a great buy)

Recent MFW-15s have been having amp failure problems. I wouldn't trust it, particularly given AV123's other business issues.

For a tad more than $3K the OP could get a whole SVS M-series setup with their $1140 PB-12+ sub... Not necessarily the *best* solution, but definitely among the simplest.
post #10 of 32 Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

We are not sure if aesthetics play a role here though.
post #11 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Where is the op located?

The key is to listen. You would be surprised at how many people will let you come to their homes and listen, and nothing beats listening in your home. As mentioned, most allow 30 day tryouts.

$3000 is more than enough for an excellent 5.1 system. After spending approximately 800-1000 for a sub (and there are GREAT choices in this price range), there is plenty left over for a great system.

One example: Ascend Sierras with a Rhythmik sub.

Definitely check out products from:

Ascend
SVS
Hsu
Aperion
Axiom

and yes, I'm biased toward ID.

For B&M I would look at Era, Usher

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Salk SongTower system less the sub can be in this ballpark. No listening fatigue with these for sure.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Great post Mayhem, but it seems that the OP may not exactly be familiar with the other offerrings that may be available to him. Your post has a good basis/foundation, but in the end, he needs to listen for himself.

To say "don't waste your money on floorstanders" (or something like that), is a rather broad statement. Now, I am not saying that I do not necessarily disagree with you, but what if that is what he wants? Does that make everyone else wrong for having floorstanders? There is more to a tower than just full full range of sound/LF's.

I completely agree. Mayhem, you said most posts would be useless because they are subjective opinions, but then you state not to bother with floor standers? That's a subjective opinion right there buddy.

By the way, no offense man. I was just making an observation, and I agree with everything else you said except what I mentioned above.

+1 on the Salk SongTower system. Also check out:

Monitor Audio
Vandersteen
Paradigm
B&W
Revel
Kef
PSB
Dynaudio.
Era and Usher (good recommendations mziegler)
Totem
Ascend Acoustics

As always, audition before you buy. If going B&M, insist on an in-home weekend audition of your final candidate(s) to ensure you still like them in your room, on your gear. In the case of Internet Direct (Ascend Acoustics, Salk, The Audio Insider, etc), they offer a 30 day in-home trial period. If you don't like them, send them back for a full refund.

Happy hunting.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #14 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM

post #15 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Here's the System i use from Axiom. I have it in a 2400 cubic foot room and have it hooked up to an Onkyo 705 and a PS3.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster500.html

that system plus speaker stands puts you at almost exactly 3k
post #16 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Front: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 pair + SA Amplifier (down to 22hz!)
Surround: Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti pair

You'll have to buy the Ref 3.1 and SA Amplifier pre-owned, the A'Diva Ti could be new. The imaging on the Ref 3.1 is so good that you don't really need a dedicated center channel as the phantom mode works very well. If you are interested, I'm selling my current setup, and it'll definitely fit in your budget.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo5/ref31.html
post #17 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so i'm being 'questioned' for my opinion on floorstanders with a $3k budget for 5.1. Anybody want to post some Pros for the floorstander in a 5.1 system within a $3k budget? You guys can post em one at a time and i'll pretend to be a professional bowler and knock em out like pins....Ready...Set....
post #18 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Ok, so i'm being 'questioned' for my opinion on floorstanders with a $3k budget for 5.1. Anybody want to post some Pros for the floorstander in a 5.1 system within a $3k budget? You guys can post em one at a time and i'll pretend to be a professional bowler and knock em out like pins....Ready...Set....

LOL!

Benefits of floorstanders:

- Can fill a room easier and may have a more "you are there" presence.
- Will probably be easier to cross over to a subwoofer
- Concerning music, a subwoofer may be unnecessary for some.
- Look better than bookshelf's on stands (highly subjective).
- Reach lower in the bass department (obviously).

I am sure other's can add more.

FYI, I am not saying floor standers are better than bookshelf speakers, nor the opposite.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #19 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 06:57 AM

I think a lot of people prefer floorstanders for looks or because they have kids or pets who would knock bookshelves off stands.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post

I think a lot of people prefer floorstanders for looks or because they have kids or pets who would knock bookshelves off stands.

I'll admit that the aesthetics factor is pretty compelling for me.
post #21 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

LOL!

Benefits of floorstanders:

- Can fill a room easier and may have a more "you are there" presence.
- Will probably be easier to cross over to a subwoofer
- Concerning music, a subwoofer may be unnecessary for some.
- Look better than bookshelf's on stands (highly subjective).
- Reach lower in the bass department (obviously).

I am sure other's can add more.

FYI, I am not saying floor standers are better than bookshelf speakers, nor the opposite.

I purchased Salk SongTowers rather than Salk SongSurround II's (which have the same exact drivers, number and type both) for a few reasons.

* The price difference was $200. By the time I added nice stands the difference in price was none.
* The tuning point of the towers was lower than the bookshelves due to the TL cabinet design.
* The towers look worlds better than the bookshelves on stands.
* The towers almost CANNOT be tipped over, which can't be said for all speakers on stands.

Mayhem, can you knock out any of these like a bowling pin?

-Chad
post #22 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratony View Post

Front: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 pair + SA Amplifier (down to 22hz!)
Surround: Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti pair

You'll have to buy the Ref 3.1 and SA Amplifier pre-owned, the A'Diva Ti could be new. The imaging on the Ref 3.1 is so good that you don't really need a dedicated center channel as the phantom mode works very well. If you are interested, I'm selling my current setup, and it'll definitely fit in your budget.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo5/ref31.html

I agree, these sound and look awesome
post #23 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Lots of good suggestions, I'm surprized nobody mentioned Wharfedale Diamonds.
3000 will get you a complete 5.1 system
Diamond 9.6 Front Towers 4 way
Diamond 9.CM Center 3 way
Diamond 9.DFS Bi-Polar 2 way for surrounds
or 9.3 bookshelves
SW250 10" or SW300 12" Sub.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/r...brochure_3.pdf

Good Luck!!

Tom, Ajax, ON, Canada
post #24 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siopao777 View Post

Hello everyone. I need help on deciding what speakers and sub to get. $3000 is my budget. I already have an onkyo 805 reciever. I use to own a 5.1 klipsch synergy speaker system but I notice they gave me a headache when I listened to them so I sold them. Can anyone recommend a 5.1 setup in a medium or large size room? I watch alot of blu ray on the ps3 and listen to music. Thank You

It might be worth looking into av123's RS850 Rocket package. They have the RS850's, RS450's and RS200 (bigfoot) for $1699 (pre-pay option) or for $1999 (for the pay when it ships option):
http://www.**********//index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37
then add in any number of subs I personally love my MFW-15 but with the amp issues you might consider eD's A5-350:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=618

That would put you right in the $3000 price range when you add shipping to the Rocket package. Good luck with your choices
post #25 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rone View Post

It might be worth looking into av123's RS850 Rocket package. They have the RS850's, RS450's and RS200 (bigfoot) for $1699 (pre-pay option) or for $1999 (for the pay when it ships option):
http://www.**********//index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37
then add in any number of subs I personally love my MFW-15 but with the amp issues you might consider eD's A5-350:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=618

That would put you right in the $3000 price range when you add shipping to the Rocket package. Good luck with your choices

I would stay away from anything AV123 until things in that company stabilizes!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #26 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anybody want to post some Pros for the floorstander in a 5.1 system within a $3k budget?

Sure, the main 'pro' of why I got floorstanders, so I can listen to music in 2 channel without sub integration. This is very important to some, not so important to others. In truth, it really isn't that important to me, but I got them anyway.
post #27 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 AM

LSA is a Sonus Faber/Opera lute design. They are matched both instrumentally and by seasoned ear. Check the LSA Group website. They're beautiful!

Everyone I know has Mini Monitors(bookshelf) speakers. They are better in midrange and seem to disappear, less cancellation than full range with subs.

Epos makes a great speaker also except for harddome tweeters(I prefer planar and silk dome).

Triangle makes great speakers also at many price points with features that the most expensive have. The Comete is a Stereophile favorite.

I have my LSA set up for their roll off, the LCR is 70hz and the LSA 1 around 50hz and with a Marantz SR8002thx it's jaw dropping, movie or music.
post #28 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Salk SongTower system less the sub can be in this ballpark. No listening fatigue with these for sure.

Very good speaker, no doubt. But, for me at least, they were not 'in this ballpark'. My quick math says about $3200-$3300 for ST's, songcenter and 2 surround I's. That's in black. If you want veneer toss in a few hundred more. Then toss in a few hundred more for shipping. Going to be closer to $4k, BEFORE the sub is added. If he's willing to stretch his budget to $5k, then Salk's are a definate possibility and fine speaker, if not they will be well out of his budget.

I do realize for some people, $4-$5k is close enough to $3k to consider it 'within' budget, for others like myself, who like to stick hard to their budget and not have to worry about getting into debt, it isn't even close.

In his ballpark would be Aperion. They aren't fatiguing at all and are a great company to deal with that builds quality products, so they may be worth the 30 day risk free trial. Of course, they are just one of many potential good options.
post #29 of 32 Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I purchased Salk SongTowers rather than Salk SongSurround II's (which have the same exact drivers, number and type both) for a few reasons.

* The price difference was $200. By the time I added nice stands the difference in price was none.
* The tuning point of the towers was lower than the bookshelves due to the TL cabinet design.
* The towers look worlds better than the bookshelves on stands.
* The towers almost CANNOT be tipped over, which can't be said for all speakers on stands.

Mayhem, can you knock out any of these like a bowling pin?

-Chad

The only point that's not subjective is the tuning point, which has little relevance when crossed to a sub. As to point 1, the midrange of the Sound surrounds when run with a sub is substantially cleaner than the towers and will handle more power due to the smaller enclosure. Harmonic distortion of all orders becomes an issue with the Ca15RLY midwoofer below 200hz, so adding response down to 40hz really taxes the little 5.5" driver. A bookshelf speaker with a single 6.5" Ca18RLY would perform much better and the driver itself costs only $4 more than the 5.5, and could have been used instead of the extra $$$ spent on the enclosure materials. Understand where i'm coming from now?
post #30 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I would stay away from anything AV123 until things in that company stabilizes!

For those interested in AV123, I recently received my 4 Rocket 450's and 1 Rocket 200, and I have nothing but positive things to report. This system will blow you away. The music is extremely crystal clear, there is absolutely no listening fatigue...you can listen to these babies for hours and it has that soothing feel. Sure, you'll need a sub for the low end (I'm using an old Polk sub from another system as a go-between) but the mids and highs are very impressive, especially for the price.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page