1st Post -- Left/Right Speaker setup, Marantz 6003, Paradigm Studio 20 V.4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am new to the board and a complete A/V novice. I just setup a Marantz 6003 with 2 Paradigm Studio 20 V.4's. Its a 2 channel system and I have the speakers Bi-Amped (or is it Bi-Wired? One receiver, but 2 sets of cables coming from each speaker - one of them going into Receiver C on the receiver )

Yesterday I plugged in a laptop to one of the auxiliary inputs to play a song. I decided I wanted to check the balance between the speakers so I went to the sound preferences on my laptop and moved the sliding bar around. It appears that the Right Speaker (the one to my right when facing the system) is playing the left Channel of audio and the left Speaker is playing the right channel of audio!

I then checked the connections in the back and it looks like it is correct. There is clearly a speaker connection on the back of the receiver labeled Right and Left for Front Speaker A. The cable from the right speaker is defnitely going into the speaker connections (+ and -) for the Front Right Speaker A.

What is going on here? I feel like I may be missing something obvious but shouldn't the right channel of audio be coming out of the right speaker? and the same for the left speaker/channel?

Could this be polarity? I had thought I had checked this too, but this may be reversed. But even if the polarity was reversed, would that still cause the R and L channels to be mixed up?

Any help on this issue would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Why not just switch them?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

If you are certain the speakers are connected correctly to the receiver, then the problem is probably with the cable or laptop. If that is the case, it will be easier to make up another cable or modify the existing cable.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbbeck View Post

I just setup a Marantz 6003 with 2 Paradigm Studio 20 V.4's. Its a 2 channel system and I have the speakers Bi-Amped (or is it Bi-Wired? One receiver, but 2 sets of cables coming from each speaker - one of them going into Receiver C on the receiver )

I did not know you could do that with the 6003, but I have the 8002 and it sounds like you're describing bi-amping. Is there a switch to turn on the bi-amping? (This would also turn off your rear surround channels, leaving just the side surrounds usable.)

Not to state the obvious, but some people attach their speakers while facing the wrong way and get left and right screwed up. Did you double check that?

I wouldn't rely on some computer connection. It sounds like you need a test disc along the lines of this one. There are others, and they are available used as you can see here.

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Review-...8700465&sr=8-2
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I could switch them, but doesn't seem right to plug the right speaker into the left speaker connection on the receiver. There must be something else I'm doing wrong.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbbeck View Post

the one to my right when facing the system is playing the left Channel of audio and the left Speaker is playing the right channel of audio!

!

When facing the system the speaker on your left is the right speaker and the speaker on your right is the left speaker

You choose your lefts and rights from the rear of the receiver (or facing away) so you have the receiver set up correctly therefore the problem lies with the connection to your laptop....
Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 AM

Don't forget that when facing the reciver the front left & right are reversed when looking at the rear of the receiver. The most simple things are usually the most overlooked
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 AM

I allways thought that speker connections are taken from facing the receiver!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogsy View Post

I allways thought that speker connections are taken from facing the receiver!

When facing your front speakers, the speaker to your left is the Left Front, and the one on your right is the Right Front. The Center channel and display would then be directly in front of you.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM

I have an extremely similar setup (Studio 20 v5's bi-amped off a Marantz SR-5003, couldn't justify the price increase for the 6003), and I love it!

Anyway, about your question: Make sure the bi-amped part of the connection (the Speaker C/Rear Surround connections) are correct as well, and make sure you flipped the switch on the back of the receiver to enable the Speaker C setting for bi-amping, although that shouldn't affect this problem...I almost forgot to do that when I hooked mine up.

Besides that, I agree about checking the cable...what kind of cable are you using, by the way? And I assume the computer is a Windows machine? I ask, because Linux liked to reverse my sound card's channels.

Maybe try hooking up some headphones or PC speakers to the computer's audio output (I assume you're just running a 1/8" mini jack to RCA cable from the laptop's front L/R output), and seeing if those work correctly. That would tell you if the problem is with the PC, or the receiver/speakers. You may accidentally have a "reverse stereo" option enabled on the laptop too, either in the aound card's settings, or the media player's settings.