Have come to a realization--What's the BIG DEAL with these HI-FI SPEAKERS.... - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDWV View Post

What your article suggests, then, is that the OP, troll though he is, might have trained his brain to believe that a Bose Wave Radio is better than your B&W's, and in his own brain's perception that is ground truth. Freaky, man, freaky...

Of course, Its how it all works. You honestly do not think that $$$/looks/Marketing/reputation do not control our senses?

Its just common sense to me but I guess people have a hard time seeing the reality of this.

Linkwitz is not the only one to say that a guy named Dr. Geddes as a very similar opinion. These are HUGE names in the game. I tend to follow what they say more then some guy (maybe even a kid now) online thinking his speakers and his ears are golden

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Freaky - and did I mention Very cost-effective!

and I just realized (with your help) we connected the dots back to the start of this thread

post #153 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

and I just realized (with your help) we connected the dots back to the start of this thread

Hey, it's all good...

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #154 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Of course, Its how it all works. You honestly do not think that $$$/looks/Marketing/reputation do not control our senses?

Sure, why else would people drink Bud/Miller/Coors light? Oops - that's a troll thread for a different site...

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #155 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

What your article suggests, then, is that the OP, troll though he is, might have trained his brain to believe that a Bose Wave Radio is better than your B&W's, and in his own brain's perception that is ground truth. Freaky, man, freaky...

Completely plausible.

I've lost count of sub owners who upgrade and complain about the bass disappearing, then come back a week later and are like, 'nevermind, the deep bass is finally showing up, and my old sub was just playing the upper bass too loud. I just needed to get used to it, but now I'm hearing things I never heard before...' blah, blah, blah.

:-)
post #156 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

I don't understand that? What the hell are you talking about? That's exactly what I have been saying all along, here.

Apparently, not. If you did, you would not be denying the value of system EQ to a flat (or nearly so) target.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #157 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Because none of us truely knows what was intended.

We do not need to know, a priori, what was intended because, if the reproducing system is accurate, we will hear what was intended.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #158 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sure, why else would people drink Bud/Miller/Coors light? Oops - that's a troll thread for a different site...

lol, I always wondered why AVS doesn't have a "soup and nuts" forum for lots of fun OT!!

btw, I drink Guinness if available.

post #159 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Hey, we DO have a common ground! Guinness for Strength!

post #160 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 12:27 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

lmao

btw, Im hoping to test my "Full range" surrounds this weekend, its your fault Im spending more time and money tweaking

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #161 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My wife would laugh at you if you think Im stubborn......

What in the world are you talking about? How is your behavior with your wife relevent to this discussion?

My comments to you are soley focused on this subject matter and your behavior in this thread. I'm not pretending to know anything about outside of those parameters.

Your intial post in this thread, is what started this discussion and you haven't done anything but flipped-flopped back and forth with your backpeddling.

You intially came off with this high and mighty opinion and speaking in absolutes:

Quote:

You should never think about replacing a crappy sounding system with another crappy sounding system. If you care much about audio, your goal should be to train your ears/brain to understand what accuracy truely sounds like. You are not alone, too many people chase/audition speakers looking for their own distorted sense of a good sound.

The BOSE is a very, very poorly designed system, they spend a LARGE amount of $$$ on marketing, little on speaker design/speaker building. If you took one apart and you understand speaker building you would laugh how people are dupped into thinking it sound great.

None of that was at all flexible or within the relm of "To Each His Own". You were not being understanding of the different tastes or preferences of others.

You were spouting off like some pompus ..."My Way, Is The Only Way and Everyone Should Think, Feel and Hear Like I do" ...jerk.

And you have revisted that approach and attitude several times in this thread, while flipping and flopping back forth from your attempts to save face and justify yourself.

I currently know and have known in the past (RIP, buddy), several extremely intelligent individuals in the field of science/and this hobby.

Certainly individuals who have/had more knowledge and experience about science and how it relates to audio, then you'll ever know or understand. And they never spoke or behaved in such ridiculous manner.

And for the record, it's all ther ein the posts. You sir, initiated the name-calling and persoanl stuff. I simply laughed at your initial attempt to be arrogant and boost your ego. Oh that's right, your intention was to educate.
post #162 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol, I always wondered why AVS doesn't have a "soup and nuts" forum for lots of fun OT!!

You know what pisses me off? Poser bars who only serve Guinness around St Patrick's Day.
post #163 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I would just like to say:

post #164 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What in the world are you talking about? How is your behavior with your wife relevent to this discussion?

My comments to you are soley focused on this subject matter and your behavior in this thread. I'm not pretending to know anything about outside of those parameters.

Your intial post in this thread, is what started this discussion and you haven't done anything but flipped-flopped back and forth with your backpeddling.

You intially came off with this high and mighty opinion and speaking in absolutes:

None of that was at all flexible or within the relm of "To Each His Own". You were not being understanding of the different tastes or preferences of others.

You were spouting off like some pompus ..."My Way, Is The Only Way and Everyone Should Think, Feel and Hear Like I do" ...jerk.

And you have revisted that approach and attitude several times in this thread, while flipping and flopping back forth from your attempts to save face and justify yourself.

I currently know and have known in the past (RIP, buddy), several extremely intelligent individuals in the field of science/and this hobby.

Certainly individuals who have/had more knowledge and experience about science and how it relates to audio, then you'll ever know or understand. And they never spoke or behaved in such ridiculous manner.

And for the record, it's all ther ein the posts. You sir, initiated the name-calling and persoanl stuff. I simply laughed at your initial attempt to be arrogant and boost your ego. Oh that's right, your intention was to educate.

Re-read and show me where I named called anything before you mocked and insulted! Heck, I think I said "You would be a fool IF you do not want to accept science as part of the decision process", that isnt and insult either. I have no idea what you accept but its foolish for anyone to ignore.

Secondly, Science is absolutely. Im not coming of as being stubborn. Im just posting the facts which are undisputeable...YOU can call it stubborn but its all just facts....they do not lie.

Lastly, you constantly miss all the post about the fact that we can tweak in room any sound YOU LIKE.

I do not flip/flop (give me examples).....sceince helps me build a better audio system. Science is the foundation of my speaker selection (speaker building).

Your system could be better if you let science help you. Its okay for you not to choose that path but you should realize your system has not reached its full potential.

Im pretty well done, You have had the best minds (not me!!) @ AVS try to correct you but you still do not want to admit you are wrong. Its pointless to go on if you do not respect opinion from those posting, you have no idea how much they know and you don't.

if people do not like the direct and blunt turth so be it, I tell it like it is...too bad parents are not honest with their kids more

post #165 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your opinion of him aside, where's the fault in his science?
post #166 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you know it wasn't meant to be 6db louder?

I think I did poor job of making this clear the first time around.

I didn't use the artist's recording to discover that 6db boost in that frequency spot. It was done using FLAT sine sweeps.
post #167 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Its strikingly odd, My friends wife brought one of those funny little things to my house last weekend, it looked liked a mini version of the things those rappers used to carry on their shoulders to project pitiful sound. It was some type of Bose gadget the ironic thing was that I have a Itron assist on my Kohler toilet, meaning that it flushes on its own, and each time she turned this clock radio wave thing on my toilet flushed, I think the Kohler was really trying to take care of the "$#!^" in the room but lets just chalk it up to chance!
post #168 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by real57vetteguy View Post

Its strikingly odd, My friends wife brought one of those funny little things to my house last weekend, it looked liked a mini version of the things those rappers used to carry on their shoulders to project pitiful sound. It was some type of Bose gadget the ironic thing was that I have a Itron assist on my Kohler toilet, meaning that it flushes on its own, and each time she turned this clock radio wave thing on my toilet flushed, I think the Kohler was really trying to take care of the "$#!^" in the room but lets just chalk it up to chance!

Seriously??? That means the Bose thing is emitting some sort of signal... But, it is designed just to receive, not transmit, right??? I guess you just found the real reason why so many people fall to Bose. The guys at Bose figured out a certain radio frequency tricks people to like the sound, and they secretly made their Bose stuff to transmit that frequency. It brainwashes people and makes them become huge fans of Bose... It is funny that the same frequency is used to control your Kohler Itron... There's got to be a connection...

Mass conspiracy... Mass conspiracy, indeed...

By the way, we have had enough entertainment from this thread... It's time to let it go... Let the OP get showered by the Kohler frequency and TjMV3 enjoys his room sound... Maybe TjMV3's room transmits the Kohler frequency, too...

I learned everything I know about HT from this forum...
post #169 of 175 Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

which is better, 1 expensive sub or 3 cheap ones ?

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #170 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

It depends on how you're going to use them - are you going after surface targets, providing SLCM/SLBM support, or hunting other subs?
Oh, you meant "subwoofers".
(No wonder there's not a category here for "Subs under $1.5B")

post #171 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

hehe, trying to rattle the bushes

post #172 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It depends on how you're going to use them - are you going after surface targets, providing SLCM/SLBM support, or hunting other subs?
Oh, you meant "subwoofers".
(No wonder there's not a category here for "Subs under $1.5B")

i just wanna add some boom to my bose wave system

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #173 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

And my point is and has been this..... It doesn't really work that way. To my ears, it does what you just quoted me as saying.

Dude, just drop it. You wanted what sounds good to you as your "accuracy" truth not what is acceptable science-wise. You're setting your own standard, which is fine... just make sure you do it in your own room not in a science forum, public as it is. FYI, I also don't like the Audyssey "effect" but hey that's the way it's supposed to sound. Now go out and say, "the artist sucked, I made it better".
post #174 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

3 expensive subs.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #175 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:

i just wanna add some boom to my bose wave system

That we can do! Delivered anywhere in the world in minutes. All it takes is Presidential authority. In this case, I can't see how he'd deny it...

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page