Have come to a realization--What's the BIG DEAL with these HI-FI SPEAKERS.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How COME all the speakers I have heard, even the Diamond 9.6 all have a really high "squeaky" tone...And I just don't understand why people like these type of stereo sounds.
Am I like the only one who PREFER the smooth, "chill" sound of the Bose Wave System over these high-end equipments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yep.

(Sorry, but you lobbed it up there. I had to spike it)

post #3 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I have to say though, what's really good about them is the clarity...But the high tones are just way TOO screechy for me. Listening to someone with a high-pitched voice like Britney or Taylor Swift or Ashanti tears my eardrum tissues
post #4 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBeginner View Post

I'm confused about your confusion too! But hey, if you like your Bosewave, then who are we to tell you any different?

Btw, what have you listened to?
post #5 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
There is a difference between "High End", squeeky, and Bose lol. If you don't like bright, forward speakers then try a speaker with a flat curve and a "warm" sound. My Energy C-500's are "warm" and they sound great! Still have detail when needed but you don't find yourself turning it up, down, up, down b/c of the excessive highs.

PS- You could probably make a bose wave system for about 1/4 the price you paid....not bashing Bose though

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #6 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

I'm confused about your confusion too! But hey, if you like your Bosewave, then who are we to tell you any different?

Btw, what have you listened to?

Floor standing Polks and Klipschs, Bose 301's and 201's, Acoustimass, Boston Acoustics, and Definitive
post #7 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Floor standing Polks and Klipschs, Bose 301's and 201's, Acoustimass, Boston Acoustics, and Definitive

Which Polks? Klipschs are going to be squeeky and harsh, most of them atleast.

post #8 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

There is a difference between "High End", squeeky, and Bose lol. If you don't like bright, forward speakers then try a speaker with a flat curve and a "warm" sound. My Energy C-500's are "warm" and they sound great! Still have detail when needed but you don't find yourself turning it up, down, up, down b/c of the excessive highs.

PS- You could probably make a bose wave system for about 1/4 the price you paid....not bashing Bose though

Let me buy your Energy c500s lol.

But yeah Bose wave is pretty detailed though. How do you make one 1/4 the price Please don't say you could find stereos at WAlmart that sound better or exactly like Bose. NO, not at all. There's a big difference in the sound. I could hear the instruments and vocals more on the Bose wave
post #9 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting...

Don't get me wrong Bose sounds good but not as god as Definitive, Klipsch, Paradigm, not sure about BA and Polk haven't really heard it well to comment.

Denon 2809CI
C: Def Tech - CLR2002
F: Def Tech - BP2002TL
S: Def Tech - BP1.2X
SB: Def Tech - PM400
Sub: Still looking
post #10 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The polk @ Best Buy but i don't remember the model number. I was assuming though, ALL polk speakers sound similar to each other.
post #11 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The polk @ Best Buy but i don't remember the model number. I was assuming though, ALL polk speakers sound similar to each other.

Not at all! You've probably heard the TSi line or Monitor line. Some like those but I find their sound to be a little harsh and echoey. Their RTiA is a big step up and sound MUCH better. More smooth...at least to me.

Thing is is that everyone's ears are different. We all perceive sound differently...what one hears as harsh and bright the other might hear a slightly recessed tone thats perfect for them. It all depends on the listener/customer. If you like Bose then thats what sounds good to you. To me they sound very small and echoey also. When you tag on the price of them too...their just not for me.

post #12 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not at all! You've probably heard the TSi line or Monitor line. Some like those but I find their sound to be a little harsh and echoey. Their RTiA is a big step up and sound MUCH better. More smooth...at least to me.

Thing is is that everyone's ears are different. We all perceive sound differently...what one hears as harsh and bright the other might hear a slightly recessed tone thats perfect for them. It all depends on the listener/customer. If you like Bose then thats what sounds good to you. To me they sound very small and echoey also. When you tag on the price of them too...their just not for me.

YES! ECHOEY! haha that's actually one of the attributes that I liked about bose wave
post #13 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YES! ECHOEY! haha that's actually one of the attributes that I liked about bose wave

You like that? lol sorry. I always crack up b/c some of those AVR settings that are like Hall or Stadium and its possibly the worst sounding thing ever. Its soo echoey and hollow. There's no life to them.

I can def. tell you that the Bose wavething won't compare to speakers made by the companies you have described or those close in price. If you like the warm sound then check out Energy C-series speakers.

post #14 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You like that? lol sorry. I always crack up b/c some of those AVR settings that are like Hall or Stadium and its possibly the worst sounding thing ever. Its soo echoey and hollow. There's no life to them.

I can def. tell you that the Bose wavething won't compare to speakers made by the companies you have described or those close in price. If you like the warm sound then check out Energy C-series speakers.

Yeah there's an option of Concert Hall in my Yamaha v490 actually but they don't make a difference to the sound at all when I apply it
post #15 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

funny is that most polks sound a bit dry or harsh to me, but I can listen to floorstanding Klipsch, Jbl's and sony's all day and not be fatigued the same with the Bowers and wilkins 600 series and the Bose 201/301. I didn't really like the acoustimass, it sounded "fake" .

Maybe polk doesent fit my tastes either like the OP.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #16 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Maybe polk doesent fit my tastes either like the OP.

Yeah the lower end polks don't fit me either after listening to them recently. The RTiA get praise though and supposedly the sound much different. Like I said, its all in the listener

post #17 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

This thread fails in every sense of the word. A baby dies everytime someone says they like bose sound.
post #18 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:

How COME all the speakers I have heard, even the Diamond 9.6 all have a really high "squeaky" tone...And I just don't understand why people like these type of stereo sounds.
Am I like the only one who PREFER the smooth, "chill" sound of the Bose Wave System over these high-end equipments?

Hi!

May I express my opinion? I only have a few years of experience and I have heard some very different set-ups and speakers....

Well I used to have a Bose AM10, hooked to a Yamaha RX-V995, at that time I thought Bose sounded great, but after carefully listening to different setups my idea changed completelly...

Today I find Bose lacks everything, especially the mids, voices and every single string instruments and piano does not sound good when played thru bose...

Back at the AM10 Series II, the subwoofer was passive... And I know everything changed in the Bose AM line... So I cannot comment about the new bose...

But the way I see, satellite speakers, only produces high freqs, leaving the sub for mids and low...

I have a set of B&W 602s3 + B&W Htm7 + B&W LM-1 + Velodyne DLS-4000r+ Rotel RB-1080 + Rotel RB-993 and after listening to B&W I just cant stand the Bose sound...

If I where you I would try listening to different speakers, I would try listening to warmer, laid back speakers, since you dont like the harsh tweeters...

Well... This is my opinion... tho... I know people who LOVE Bose sound, and I know people who HATE it...

Listening is the best experience.
post #19 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:

I have to say though, what's really good about them is the clarity...But the high tones are just way TOO screechy for me. Listening to someone with a high-pitched voice like Britney or Taylor Swift or Ashanti tears my eardrum tissues

I LOVE this guy! Really, that's why audiophile speakers exist, to stop you from listening to Britney, Taylor Swift or Ashanti........!
post #20 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate* View Post

Hi!

May I express my opinion? I only have a few years of experience and I have heard some very different set-ups and speakers....

Well I used to have a Bose AM10, hooked to a Yamaha RX-V995, at that time I thought Bose sounded great, but after carefully listening to different setups my idea changed completelly...

Today I find Bose lacks everything, especially the mids, voices and every single string instruments and piano does not sound good when played thru bose...

Back at the AM10 Series II, the subwoofer was passive... And I know everything changed in the Bose AM line... So I cannot comment about the new bose...

But the way I see, satellite speakers, only produces high freqs, leaving the sub for mids and low...

I have a set of B&W 602s3 + B&W Htm7 + B&W LM-1 + Velodyne DLS-4000r+ Rotel RB-1080 + Rotel RB-993 and after listening to B&W I just cant stand the Bose sound...

If I where you I would try listening to different speakers, I would try listening to warmer, laid back speakers, since you dont like the harsh tweeters...

Well... This is my opinion... tho... I know people who LOVE Bose sound, and I know people who HATE it...

You don't need to ask me permission to express yourself. This is a free country
And I was referring to the Bose Wave system specifically. not their other line of stereo products. Because the rest of their speakers(besides the Wave) sound too harsh for my ears too
post #21 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

None of those speakers are considered to be "warm" speakers, with Polk being a mild exception, depending on which line you listened to.
post #22 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The polk at BB are bright indeed. Not to mention, they are on a wide open floor.
post #23 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Next time you are BB, listen to Mirage, and Vienna Acoustics, assumming they have a Magnolia (Vienna being laid back, and warm).
post #24 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

I LOVE this guy! Really, that's why audiophile speakers exist, to stop you from listening to Britney, Taylor Swift or Ashanti........!

LOL........"But I saw their video's on the music channel..... I've built a mean collection.........."

Espo77
post #25 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 270
why don't you just set up the receiver they way you want it to sound? It has tone controls, so use them and make it what you want.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #26 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

Have you ever heard "live" music, even just a single instrument, or a small acoustic band???

Quote:

The Bose Wave System is to live music as a "Home-Theater-in-a-Box" is a to an IMAX theater.

We'll cut you a break because you're an "AudioBeginner", but *really*... you need to start listening to the world around you. Then compare that to the "sound" of decent speakers. If you still think the Bose Wave Radio is "great" sound, well... you need to get your hearing checked... SERIOUSLY!

BTW, how's that Yamaha 10-band graphic Equalizer workin' out for ya?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134995

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #27 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 PM

AudioBeginner, HiFi sound comes in all varieties, just like soup.

Based on the brands you've heard so far, You definitely haven't sampled much of the menu yet....
  • Bold like a Chili or a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls
  • Fresh like Gazpacho or the Salk HT3s
  • Zesty like a Spicy pumpkin soup or some Dali Helicons
  • Delicate like a Spring pea like effervescent Martin Logans Summits
  • Tangy like Ginger Miso or Definitive Technology's
  • Hearty like a Minestrone or Totem Forests
  • Nuevo fusion flavors of a Lemongrass Shrimp Bisque or Gallo Nucleus Refs
  • Traditional, homey like Chicken Noodle or JBL L100s or Paradigm Studios
  • Complex like Heirloom Roasted Corn with Truffles and Tomatillo and ancho chili puree or unique MBL 101Es
  • Soothing like Tomato Soup or warm Harbeth Monitors and Vienna Accoustics Grands
  • A polemic favorite like Clam Chowder or B&W 802s, .... either love 'em or hate em.
  • or there's Instant like Cup-O-Soup and Bose Acoustimass
So not all HiFi speakers are squeaky just as all soups don't have a spicy kick. It could be the tweeter material or the crossover design. Stay away from titanium and aluminium. Silk tweeter sound more up your alley.

Your Wave system likely provides 'chill', mellow sounds because it leaves a lot of musical information out, which could be fine for the way that you listen to music. Most of the HiFi systems mentioned in audio forums are for dedicated listening sessions where the gear is trying to closely recreate a live performance -requiring all of the music information. Small compact systems and some speaker designs have a different purpose-ambiance. You sound like you would fit in the latter category.

Enjoy your system.

Cheers,
ed
post #28 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbayarea View Post

AudioBeginner, HiFi sound comes in all varieties, just like soup.

Based on the brands you've heard so far, You definitely haven't sampled much of the menu yet....
  • Bold like a Chili or a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls
  • Fresh like Gazpacho or the Salk HT3s
  • Zesty like a Spicy pumpkin soup or some Dali Helicons
  • Delicate like a Spring pea like effervescent Martin Logans Summits
  • Tangy like Ginger Miso or Definitive Technology's
  • Hearty like a Minestrone or Totem Forests
  • Nuevo fusion flavors of a Lemongrass Shrimp Bisque or Gallo Nucleus Refs
  • Traditional, homey like Chicken Noodle or JBL L100s or Paradigm Studios
  • Complex like Heirloom Roasted Corn with Truffles and Tomatillo and ancho chili puree or unique MBL 101Es
  • Soothing like Tomato Soup or warm Harbeth Monitors and Vienna Accoustics Grands
  • A polemic favorite like Clam Chowder or B&W 802s, .... either love 'em or hate em.
  • or there's Instant like Cup-O-Soup and Bose Acoustimass
So not all HiFi speakers are squeaky just as all soups don't have a spicy kick. It could be the tweeter material or the crossover design. Stay away from titanium and aluminium. Silk tweeter sound more up your alley.

Your Wave system likely provides 'chill', mellow sounds because it leaves a lot of musical information out, which could be fine for the way that you listen to music. Most of the HiFi systems mentioned in audio forums are for dedicated listening sessions where the gear is trying to closely recreate a live performance -requiring all of the music information. Small compact systems and some speaker designs have a different purpose-ambiance. You sound like you would fit in the latter category.

Enjoy your system.

Cheers,
ed

Wow, really well said! Funny, but now I suddenly feel hungry...!
post #29 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

What an excellent post!
post #30 of 175 Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 PM

no more analogies, promise.

AudioBeginner,

This just came to me as well.....

Because artists like Britney Spears, Taylor Swift or Ashanti (mentioned in your post #3) have voices that reach upper registers of pitch, that may be highlighting a very poor recording.

Yes, surprisingly, even with all the modern computer sound equipment, current releases to be poorly recorded or mastered to disc. This is not a new thing though early 80's music also suffered from it. It is hit or miss. The main issue is making the music too loud which makes the high end frequencies screechy. Maybe that is what you are hearing as well as the sound signature of the equipment?

Check this out (a video about recording quality trends) and often the high frequencies are clipped making a sizzling sound- I just heard it recently on a CD I just bought. And a recent Rolling Stone mag article about poor recordings [here].

The quality of the recordings you will listen to the most should be considered when putting together your system. Hanging around these audio forums it seems that a majority with higher quality systems make great efforts to seek out great quality recordings either CD or vinyl. These are less common in pop and R&B music, though there are exceptions of course. And mp3 don't help the issue either.

later, ed
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page