Recommend a Center and 2 Fronts (tower?) to accompany 4 Definitive surrounds and sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For photos of the theater room and dimensions, view this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1130740

I was left with a Definitive 5.0 system when I bought the house. Not sure the model number of any of the speakers right now, but you can see the size of one of the fronts from the above link (see it mounted on the wall between the sconces).

I plan to add a sub, and believe I will go with a SVS-PB-12 Plus for $1139.

I was planning on buying a full 5.0 system for another $1000. Until I found out I have this Definitive system.

Now I plan to upgrade the fronts and the center channel, and just move the 4 Definitive surrounds to a 7.1 configuration. This would allow me to upgrade the sides and rears at a later point in time.

I'd like to get the center and the fronts for under $1000.
Considering I had figured out how I could accomplish a full 5.1 system (including that sub) for about $2000, I think my budget of the center and 2 fronts for no more than $1000 is doable.

Since my center channel is going to be below the screen (no, I won't have an AT screen), I was considering getting the fronts as tower speakers to keep them in line with the center. Alternatively, I can wall mount the fronts at a lower height. Either or.

I'm looking for some recommendations. The room will be used primarily for HDTV viewing of sports. Occasional blu-ray and very unlikely for pure music. Most of the time HDTV of sports, and some HDTV of other, and the occasional 1080p movie.

Looking for suggestions and advice. Thanks!

Oh, and the center/fronts I had been contemplating was the SVS SCS-01(M) for $490. Since I have decided to double my budget on these 3 speakers, I want to see my options. Oh, and this is my first HT and my first full surround sound system I am designing. The only one I ever had was a HTIB from Sony for a 5.1 full system for roughly $500. So everything I get will be a huge upgrade over anything I have had before. I just want to make a smart decision and not waste money, considering my experience is very limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some options for towers and a center at under $1k:

PSB Front 3: C60 & T55
PSB Front 3: C40 & T65
Question: What would be better for my needs (not much music, but mostly HDTV and some movies): a better center (C60) and a decent but not the best tower fronts, or vice versa?

Monitor Radius 225 (center) and Radius 270 towers
Cons: These might have too much "styling" for a dedicated theater. I don't need to pay extra for the way it looks. I want most of my money going towards performance.

Elemental Designs 6T6 Center (MTM) and Towers
Cons: price is 570 for this so a bit lower than what I was looking to spend, but if they are just as good as $1000 options, that is perfectly fine...

Energy CF50 towers and CC-10 center

Polk Audio TSi500 towers and Polk Audio CS20 center

Any thoughts on these or other suggestions?

How much of the $1000 would you spend on towers vs. center?

750/250?
800/200?
700/300?

Keep in mind, very little to no music aside from what is in movies or on TV. Thanks.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
actually, if you are considering $1000 on Energy step up to the RC series for the front end.

RC-30 = $600/pr shipped from Audio Advisor (buy through their Amazon storefront for free shipping)

RC-LCR = $400 from Vann's.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM

I think your selection of PSB speakers may be overkill for the size of the room you're using them in... others may think otherwise. I'd save the money and get the better midrange speaker (T45; $500) and let the sub handle anything going lower. Of course, I'm biased because I have these speakers, but the two towers and a subseries5 ($360) rock my whole house. The C40 center is a perfect match as well. Use the money you save on some BlueJeans cables, HDMIs, DVIs, etc.

If your dead set on getting the best for your $1K though, I'd go with the Monitor Audio RS6 with RS-CX for about $1100. I got a chance to listen to these for about an hour during my speaker hunt... and really, they're amazing. You'll definitely end up listening to more music too.

(FWIW... I tested MA Bronze and Silver, PSB B25, T45, T55, Paradigm Monitors of all sizes and the Studio 20, and the various stuff at BB and Frys. The ones mentioned above were the standouts to me).

Anyways, good luck!
post #5 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
The RS6 cost $1100 on their own, where can you get the RS6 + center channel for $1100??

The Energy RC-30 / RC-LCR package is very comparable in build quality and sonics, although the Energy's are very "laid back" compared to the MA's forward, airy treble. The reason I suggested them is because the Energy's (despite being similar in msrp) are available for much cheaper "street" prices.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #6 of 7 Old 04-16-2009, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Was really looking hard at the PSBs (T65 and C60) but now I'm seeing the Rocket RS850 Signature Tower Loudspeakers and I can get them and a center (Rocket RSC200 Signature Center) for the same price as the PSBs. Well, almost the same. I'm not sure how much shipping is for the Rockets but I do know it for the PSBs, so whatever the shipping is on the Rockets, I will pay that amount more for them than the PSBs.

So, my question is, which would you go for: the Rockets or the PSBs. Keep in mind, I will be getting an SVS sub (likely the PB-12 Plus) and I already have 4 surrounds to complete the 7.1 system. Just need to decide on towers as fronts and a matching center.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The RS6 cost $1100 on their own, where can you get the RS6 + center channel for $1100??

The Energy RC-30 / RC-LCR package is very comparable in build quality and sonics, although the Energy's are very "laid back" compared to the MA's forward, airy treble. The reason I suggested them is because the Energy's (despite being similar in msrp) are available for much cheaper "street" prices.

Audiogon, if you don't mind buying used. RS6 usually goes for around $700, RS-LCR for ~$400 I think.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page