Are the Rockets twice as good as the HTD Level Twos? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to put together a surround setup in my bedroom. I'll also listen to music. I have a pair of RS750 Rockets in my office and love them. To save some money this time I was looking at the RS450s ($800). But then I found the Level Twos for HALF the price and I've heard some good things about them.

Question is: Do I spend twice the amount of money on the Rockets or will Level Twos be ok. One thing I really like about the Rockets is how laid back they are. Not sure how the Level Twos are.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
um. first off the Rockets are one of the best deals out there for the money, hands down. secondly, are you aware they just put the RS850's on sale? they are supposed to be in stock, ready to ship for $899.99 a pair (plus 150.00 for shipping) i think you would be far far ahead to buy those and spend the few extra dollars

just my .02
post #3 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

You're absolutely right. I talked to Mark at AV123 about them on Monday. Great friggin deal. However, my speakers will be about 3 feet from the edge of my bed. So, I need a speaker that can throw the sound over the bed and into my head. The 850s would send half the sound right into the mattress. If the bed wasn't there, I'd be all over those RS850s!!
post #4 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Get the sierra-1s from ascend, for that money they're one of the best apart from DIY/kits
Towers at that price I wouldn't bother with
post #5 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

Get the sierra-1s from ascend, for that money they're one of the best apart from DIY/kits
Towers at that price I wouldn't bother with

Towers at the price of the HTD level 2? Or are you including the Rockets too?
post #6 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Any towers below $1500. Never heard the rockets, but I'm skeptical about them based on the design and the impressions I've read. For floorstanders at that price they could be one of the best, but that still doesnt say much to me.
post #7 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM

I could be of some help here. I could understand some hesitation with AV123 right now with everything that is going on but with that said. I own both the Sierra 1's and the Rocket 450's and while I truly believe both are amazing if I had to choose one it would be the Rockets. With the 850's being the same price as I paid for the 450's I would jump on that in a heartbeat. As far as design and impressions im not quite sure what the previous person is talking about (with respect not trying to start something) I have never read anything but rave reviews for the Rockets. Now some stuff like the Av123 subwoofers are another story. I wouldn't touch those right now with a ten foot pole, but the Rockets are time tested and beautiful in person. The finish on the Rockets is of equal quality as the Sierra 1's and the build quality is also impressive. The Sierra 1's probably are better in build quality because of the bamboo enclosure which is rock solid. Now if your wanting bookshelf's I could not be more happy with my Sierra 1's. I have them in piano black and they look gorgeous. For music they are simply amazing. They are smaller than I thought they would be but man they put out some amazing bass for their size. Quite honestly living with both for at least a year I think the Rockets and the Sierra 1's are of equal value. Good luck on your choice.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post

I could be of some help here. I could understand some hesitation with AV123 right now with everything that is going on but with that said. I own both the Sierra 1's and the Rocket 450's and while I truly believe both are amazing if I had to choose one it would be the Rockets. With the 850's being the same price as I paid for the 450's I would jump on that in a heartbeat. As far as design and impressions im not quite sure what the previous person is talking about (with respect not trying to start something) I have never read anything but rave reviews for the Rockets. Now some stuff like the Av123 subwoofers are another story. I wouldn't touch those right now with a ten foot pole, but the Rockets are time tested and beautiful in person. The finish on the Rockets is of equal quality as the Sierra 1's and the build quality is also impressive. The Sierra 1's probably are better in build quality because of the bamboo enclosure which is rock solid. Now if your wanting bookshelf's I could not be more happy with my Sierra 1's. I have them in piano black and they look gorgeous. For music they are simply amazing. They are smaller than I thought they would be but man they put out some amazing bass for their size. Quite honestly living with both for at least a year I think the Rockets and the Sierra 1's are of equal value. Good luck on your choice.

The Sierra's look to be about the same price as the RS450. So, if it was between those two, I'd go with the Rockets just because I know I love them.

However, I was trying to get a somewhat similar sound to the Rockets for less money. Does HTD Level Two fit the bill or something else?
post #9 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM

I've never heard the HTD's so I couldn't help you on that front. I can tell you I spent all of last summer trying to find a speaker that could replace my Rockets and all I could find was the Sierra 1's which I like as much but in different ways. I had a budget of $2000 and tried B&W, Paradigm, Klipsch, and a couple of others. Of course I still have the Rockets. If your looking for somethign cheaper you might try Audiogon or wait for Av123's forum to come back on-line so you can buy something on the used section. Who knows when that might be though. If your looking for speakers for causual listening in your room I might suggest in ceiling speakers. I recently installed some Paradigm in ceiling speakers in my bedroom and have really been pleased. The install was cake.
post #10 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could be of some help here. I could understand some hesitation with AV123 right now with everything that is going on but with that said. I own both the Sierra 1's and the Rocket 450's and while I truly believe both are amazing if I had to choose one it would be the Rockets. With the 850's being the same price as I paid for the 450's I would jump on that in a heartbeat. As far as design and impressions im not quite sure what the previous person is talking about (with respect not trying to start something) I have never read anything but rave reviews for the Rockets. Now some stuff like the Av123 subwoofers are another story. I wouldn’t touch those right now with a ten foot pole, but the Rockets are time tested and beautiful in person. The finish on the Rockets is of equal quality as the Sierra 1's and the build quality is also impressive. The Sierra 1's probably are better in build quality because of the bamboo enclosure which is rock solid. Now if your wanting bookshelf’s I could not be more happy with my Sierra 1's. I have them in piano black and they look gorgeous. For music they are simply amazing. They are smaller than I thought they would be but man they put out some amazing bass for their size. Quite honestly living with both for at least a year I think the Rockets and the Sierra 1's are of equal value. Good luck on your choice.

So how do they sound in comparison to each other? What makes you prefer the rockets?
post #11 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 PM

A couple of reasons, one is kind of fickle. The first is that the Rockets sound on the warm side of neutral which I tend to enjoy for movies and jazz. I could listen to them for hours without fatigue. I always thought voices sounded more realistic with the Rockets. The Rockets are definitely the stronger performer with movies but that's to be expected with an extra driver. The second reason I prefer the Rockets is that I enjoy the way they look a little tiny tiny bit better. Mostly because I dont enjoy the look of stands. Both of those are personal preference, but pictures really don't do the veneer justice on the Rockets.

For music I prefer the Sierra's they really seem to bring performances to life and touch your heart. My only complaint is that occasionally, very occasionally, the Sierras will sound a tad bright. But honestly Nora Jones has never sounded better. The finish on the Sierras is also stunning. My girlfriend laughs because they have never been touched by human hand, you have to wear the gloves to touch them. O I would also give Ascend the advantage in the stable company department, I don't worry if they will be around tomorrow and their customer service is excellent.

In comparing the two. Like I said I truly do think they are of equal value, both are fantastic. Asking me to choose one would be like asking me to choose a favorite child. Both have great highs and an unexpected low end. Both are heavy and seem to have excellent build quality. The looks from both are stunning. I think of a speaker as a piece of furniture so for me they need to look good and they do. I should say I have had a blind testing for my friends and the ones that could tell a difference were split pretty evenly.

Another suggestion would be the Era Acoustics Design 4. I have never personally heard them but I have heard excellent things about them and they seem to fit more in the lower price range.
post #12 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm not a fan boy of any company and I really just want to help you find the speaker that is best for you. I would say though if your room is smaller I would probobly go with a bookshelf speaker like the Sierra 1. Oh and im driving both sets of speakers with Emotiva amps just in case you wanted to know.
post #13 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
The 850 deal is simply incredible! There isn't much out there that can touch it.

I have owned 760s, 450s but never the 850s and right now $1050 shipped for a pair of 850s is just sick.

Very laid back speakers that can give great punch. The only reason I do not have any in house now is because I have built all my speakers and I enjoy getting many times more for my $$$ with DIY.

NOW!!! The problem here is that I believe AV123 has problems and simply are not stable enough for me to actually ignore the problem. I would say that if someone does not care about the company stability then the 850s is a no-brainer purchase. They are a very neutral and likeable speakers that is built very well and have a stunning look!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #14 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 PM

Dont you think though that the 850's would be a bit much for a bedroom?

Exander its rude of me that I haven't even responded to your origional post of do I think the 450's would be worth twice the price. If you have the money and will do critical listening then yes I do. If you are just going in and out of the room then no I dont. This sounds like its for a bedroom correct me if I am wrong. I often am.
post #15 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dont you think though that the 850's would be a bit much for a bedroom?

Is it a big bedroom?

post #16 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Of course the OP already has the 750s and knows the Rocket sound so I do not know what to say.

Either save the money or buy the 850s.

post #17 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 PM

If it is for a bedroom I would suggest saving money and going to audiogon I noticed some Onix Ref 1's for $525. Again I have never heard the Ref 1's but since the OP trust the company of his current speakers this might be an option and this is more in his price range.
post #18 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If it is for a bedroom I would suggest saving money and going to audiogon I noticed some Onix Ref 1's for $525. Again I have never heard the Ref 1's but since the OP trust the company of his current speakers this might be an option and this is more in his price range.

I had the Ref .5s They were free with a AV123 deal last year.

Those are great little speakers and the Ref 1s would be a great choice for any bedroom...he would need a sub though.

post #19 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not sure on your exact budget - but I'd check these out for your bedroom:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...er=ENVEV2%2E2I

You will not find a better speaker for this price anywhere (internet direct or otherwise). I already own a pair (along with a few other speakers - more than I know what to do with) and these are incredible. For that price, I'd jump all over it in a second.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #20 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Not sure on your exact budget - but I'd check these out for your bedroom:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...er=ENVEV2%2E2I

You will not find a better speaker for this price anywhere (internet direct or otherwise). I already own a pair (along with a few other speakers - more than I know what to do with) and these are incredible. For that price, I'd jump all over it in a second.

Seems like lots of companies throwing out the BIG sales

Tough economy out there!

post #21 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:

Any towers below $1500. Never heard the rockets, but I'm skeptical about them based on the design and the impressions I've read. For floorstanders at that price they could be one of the best, but that still doesnt say much to me.

dude...seriously the Rockets are one of the best speakers i have had in my home...at any price. they are not as open and detailed as my martin logans, but they were much richer sounding than my Thiel's and that is saying a LOT! those Thiel 1.6's were amazing, but..for $3000.00 canadian, not even close to the value and sound of the rockets.

i'm pissed off about the MFW15 situation, but as for their other speakers, you just can not beat them IMHO
post #22 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 PM

I saw the deal on the Rocket 850's, I have PMC DB1's, I am setting up a home theater. Should I go for the Rockets or keep what I have?
post #23 of 41 Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I've read that before. But also some quite "mixed" opinions at sound&vision and fatwallet etc. My take is that they are probably quite good for the money but I'd still buy a pair of monitors in that budget.
post #24 of 41 Old 04-16-2009, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great responses!!
This is for a bedroom. A full tower speaker won't work because the sound will go right into the mattress. :-)

I'm a little worried about the state of AV123 also. Sent an email to them the other day and didn't get a response.

My number one concern (other than price) is that they not be too bright. I'm real sensitive to the highs. Rockets have been great in that respect.
post #25 of 41 Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I would suggest you refrain from forming opinions and offering advice on a speaker you have never seen or heard.
post #26 of 41 Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I've read that before. But also some quite "mixed" opinions at sound&vision and fatwallet etc. My take is that they are probably quite good for the money but I'd still buy a pair of monitors in that budget.

That right there takes the cake for me. ROFLMFAO. Fatwallet? I can understand Sound&Vision but Fatwallet? LMAO.
post #27 of 41 Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah there's been some heated arguments over there with posts like this one.
post #28 of 41 Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

OMG!! RS450 B-Stock for $350 a pair!!! It's all over - I just ordered them.
Mark also gave me a deal on the center.
post #29 of 41 Old 04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exander View Post

OMG!! RS450 B-Stock for $350 a pair!!! It's all over - I just ordered them.
Mark also gave me a deal on the center.

Good deal. Just remember to PAY WITH CREDIT CARD for your own protection. And if the speaker don't get to you in a timely manner, make sure you dispute it before the time lapse.
post #30 of 41 Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

Good deal. Just remember to PAY WITH CREDIT CARD for your own protection. And if the speaker don't get to you in a timely manner, make sure you dispute it before the time lapse.

I just got off the phone with Suzanne. I told her about some of the bad press I'd seen and asked if my order would be shipping soon. She said I'll have the tracking number tomorrow. So far, so good!

I'm not sure why the bad press started but I would think they'd do their best to rectify any outstanding issues.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my 450's and ELT center.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page