Using three center channel speakers for left/center/right - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any reason I can't use, say, three Polk RM7 Center speakers for my front LCR speakers? I am physically limited to having to use horizontal mounted left and right fronts, so I thought it would make sense to just buy 3 center speakers since they're made to be horizontal. Would this work reasonably well or is there a reason center speakers can't be used for left and rights, too, as long as they're horizontal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelString View Post

Is there any reason I can't use, say, three Polk RM7 Center speakers for my front LCR speakers? I am physically limited to having to use horizontal mounted left and right fronts, so I thought it would make sense to just buy 3 center speakers since they're made to be horizontal. Would this work reasonably well or is there a reason center speakers can't be used for left and rights, too, as long as they're horizontal?

Well, actually most center speakers are not made to be horizontal, they are simply made horizontal. They still have the lobbing problems associated with the horizontal array. There is a way to make a crossover to make horizontal arrays possible without lobbing but it is very complex and not currently available in any commercial product.

Also, some center speakers like the Aperion 5C and 6C or any other with a similar driver arrangement can work fairly well horizontal because the crossover to the horizontally located woofers can be low enough that lobbing is not a problem.

If mounting them horizontally like this is your only option then it seems like you have no choice. It may not be optimum but it will work.

mk
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Montekay- Thanks for your input! So would you think that using all centers would be preferable to using true L/Rs horizontally?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You could look into KEF iQ series bookshelves. They are a duo-concentric design so you could lay three of them on their sides; you would have to builkd supports though as they are not rectangular.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I could use bookshelves, but even on their sides they'd be too big. I'm limited to something no longer than 17" and no wider than about 4.5" for the L/R. I'm actually looking to hang them from the top of a pair of bookshelves I have on either side of the LCD. Unfortunately, none of the shelves can be used for the speakers themselves because my wife has only allocated me two shelves which have to hold my components. The other shelves are for knick-knacks and baskets (I know, I know...). So that leaves me with looking at centers or skinny L/R that I can mount horizontally. Even small 5.1 satellites would have to be turned sideways because they're normally longer than 5".
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page