post #61 of 85 Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post

By the way, I used heat shrink tubing to secure the monoprice bananas. Someone mentioned they were slipping earlier in the thread.

Sorry, I meant to say I've read several complaints about them slipping out of their jacks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post

By the way, I used heat shrink tubing to secure the monoprice bananas. Someone mentioned they were slipping earlier in the thread.
Loss of conductivity occurs when the mechanical connection between the wire and plug loosens, and if you can't get at the set screw or other device that clamps the wire to the connector you can't tighten it. If you use shrink wrap be sure you can still tighten the connection, which can loosen as the copper deforms under pressure.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #63 of 85 Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone used bluejeans in-wall speaker wire? I am wondering the difference between them and monoprice?

post #64 of 85 Old 11-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Myke View Post

Has anyone used bluejeans in-wall speaker wire? I am wondering the difference between them and monoprice?

Unless you mean Blue Jean's finished cables, the only difference is price.

post #65 of 85 Old 11-11-2012, 08:37 AM

just so I am clear, am i uderstanding you correctly that unless i pay for the welded finished wires there isnt much difference between the two?

post #66 of 85 Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 10
When I redid my speaker connections about five years ago, I used the Monoprice 12-gauge wire (nice and flexible) and their banana plugs that were made to be soldered to the wire. I've had zero problems with those plugs. My surrounds were wired by some installers when I got my first "home theater" installed right after the house was built in 1998. It's a pretty long run of wire, probably 40 feet or so each, and it's not very big wire. Could even be 18 gauge, I'm not sure. It seems to work just fine with the current surrounds but I may need to replace that wire at some point by pulling it through with some heavier stuff taped securely to it.
post #67 of 85 Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

just so I am clear, am i uderstanding you correctly that unless i pay for the welded finished wires there isnt much difference between the two?

If you're referring to my comment, I'm saying there's no difference between the two.

Unlike Monoprice, BJC offers some customization services. They're not better cables, but people who want finished cables can get them without doing the work themselves.

post #68 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 AM

That answers my question perfectly, thank you. I hear so much about wire that I dont want to make a mistake. I might have a 40' foot run at most therefore I'm thinking 12awg everywhere. My reason for looking is also b/c manufactorers all claim their wire and jackets are the best for what ever pattented reason, oxygen, strands, conductivity, etc... So between the masses of monster, belden, mit, monoprice, and many more I'm looking for the best bang for he buck, keeping the buck within reason.

post #69 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That answers my question perfectly, thank you. I hear so much about wire that I dont want to make a mistake. I might have a 40' foot run at most therefore I'm thinking 12awg everywhere.

Have you seen the Wire Table at Roger Russell's "Speaker Wire: A History"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Myke View Post

My reason for looking is also b/c manufactorers all claim their wire and jackets are the best for what ever pattented reason, oxygen, strands, conductivity, etc... So between the masses of monster, belden, mit, monoprice, and many more I'm looking for the best bang for he buck, keeping the buck within reason.

Many of those claims are mere "puffery." Quite a few are nothing more than misleading or false advertising.

In my opinion,

• Monster makes very good, very over-priced cables;
  • Belden and Cardas and Mogami make very good cables which are designed for professional use and they're priced accordingly;
  • MIT makes cables coated in fairy-dust; and
  • Monoprice is one of the best options for both quality and price.

I own a number of Monster cables. I get them at or though Amazon if they're offered at a staggering discount.

post #70 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Have you seen the Wire Table at Roger Russell's "Speaker Wire: A History"?

Many of those claims are mere "puffery." Quite a few are nothing more than misleading or false advertising.

In my opinion,
  • Monster makes very good, very over-priced cables;
  • Belden and Cardas and Mogami make very good cables which are designed for professional use and they're priced accordingly;
  • MIT makes cables coated in fairy-dust; and
  • Monoprice is one of the best options for both quality and price.

I own a number of Monster cables. I get them at or though Amazon if they're offered at a staggering discount.

That should pretty much end it here. Roger Russell's article puts it all in perspective.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #71 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

That should pretty much end it here. Roger Russell's article puts it all in perspective.

+1
Wow, what a read, long and informative! I'm pretty cofident now about the in-wall wire I'm going to select for my bonus/movie room.

Thanks Hamilcar Barca

post #72 of 85 Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

+1
Wow, what a read, long and informative! I'm pretty cofident now about the in-wall wire I'm going to select for my bonus/movie room.

Thanks Hamilcar Barca

I learned about the page while reading the Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!! thread here at AVS which I really like.

Those people are mad-crazy about their homemade cables. Most of them, other than mine, are really impressive. If you're going to run wire through the wall, the dressings may not appeal to you.

post #73 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybe View Post

Well..

Monoprice 12ga doesn't fit WireCare 10mm cable pants.

Prospective buyers might look to the next size up

Good to know thank you.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #74 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those people are mad-crazy about their homemade cables. Most of them, other than mine, are really impressive. If you're going to run wire through the wall, the dressings may not appeal to you.
Keep in mind that many of them didn't get the joke. Fancy dressings and connectors are nice to look at, but do nothing to affect sound quality. If your goal is to make them pretty all well and good, if it's to make them sound better, don't bother.

post #75 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yup, that's why i "made" mine... had some 12 gauge lying around and purtied it up... smile.gif

another thing for people to consider... if you are going into a wall plate, consider using speakon connections... they have proven to be "cat proof"*, at least for me...

* this is also why i made my own power cables for the subs with locking plugs... little sucker can't pull them out of the outlet...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #76 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the 1/2" work with 12 gauge monoprice clear speaker wire? It appears too big by looking at the pictures. Should I get 1/4"?

This is what I want to use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-BRAIDED-EXPANDABLE-SLEEVING-RATTLESNAKE-TECHFLEX-25ft-/230881122068?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35c1965714&vxp=mtr

Home Theater Set Up:

post #77 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Will the 1/2" work with 12 gauge monoprice clear speaker wire? It appears too big by looking at the pictures. Should I get 1/4"?

This is what I want to use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-BRAIDED-EXPANDABLE-SLEEVING-RATTLESNAKE-TECHFLEX-25ft-/230881122068?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35c1965714&vxp=mtr

The Have a look at these Beauties!!!! thread probably has an answer to that question. It's quite long, so I'd post the question there rather than reading the whole thing -- not that it's not interesting. The clear speaker wire ("zip cord") isn't the most popular there, but you'll probably get a recommendation.

The eBay vendor is furryletters. He's been getting very good reviews for price and service for a long time. You might try calling him and asking if he'll sell you some samples of different sizes. His phone number (U.S. area code 615) is at the bottom of the product listing.

post #78 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:

Keep in mind that many of them didn't get the joke. Fancy dressings and connectors are nice to look at, but do nothing to affect sound quality. If your goal is to make them pretty all well and good, if it's to make them sound better, don't bother.

I agree completely on sound quality (and I like them purty cables.)

Compared to the DIY cable thread on a certain headphone site, the posters here are geniuses. There's a no argument in the AVS thread about whether 99.999%-pure silver cables outperform whose which are only 99.99% pure, and other sci-fi topics.

post #79 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Have a look at these Beauties!!!! thread probably has an answer to that question. It's quite long, so I'd post the question there rather than reading the whole thing -- not that it's not interesting. The clear speaker wire ("zip cord") isn't the most popular there, but you'll probably get a recommendation.

The eBay vendor is furryletters. He's been getting very good reviews for price and service for a long time. You might try calling him and asking if he'll sell you some samples of different sizes. His phone number (U.S. area code 615) is at the bottom of the product listing.

Thanks. I will do that.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #80 of 85 Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
yup, that's why i "made" mine... had some 12 gauge lying around and purtied it up... smile.gif
another thing for people to consider... if you are going into a wall plate, consider using speakon connections... they have proven to be "cat proof"*, at least for me...
* this is also why i made my own power cables for the subs with locking plugs... little sucker can't pull them out of the outlet...

Make sure your cats stay away from mine. I don't want them picking up any bad habits.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #81 of 85 Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry for reviving this thread but which one is better on monoprice:

1) 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2)
2) 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2)

Should I go for something which has more shielding? I saw some in BB which had way more shielding.

Junkyard:
Yamaha RX V673
HSU VTF3-MK4
KEF Q300, Q100, Q600
Panasonic 60ST60
Sony VAIO - XBMC
XBOX 360
post #82 of 85 Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek33 View Post

Sorry for reviving this thread but which one is better on monoprice:

1) 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2)
2) 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2)

Should I go for something which has more shielding? I saw some in BB which had way more shielding.

I was using the 12 awg oxygen free for my 7.1 system, and I replaced them with 12awg CL2 now. Both are excellent, but I prefer the CL2 since I use flextech sleeve, speaker wire boots, and banana plugs to make them look nice.biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #83 of 85 Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is there a rule of thumb for gauge wire I should go with? I would like to get the 14 gauge and get the 500'. Wiring up two 25 feet long rooms with sorround sound one room with 5.1+ 2 speakers outside and another with 9.2?
post #84 of 85 Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post

Is there a rule of thumb for gauge wire I should go with?
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf
lemonslush likes this.

post #85 of 85 Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Very interesting, for the most part you'll get a few watts less per channel going from 12-14-16. Assuming the thicker cable will fit through my wall wink.gif might as well just go with the 12 for 500 feet. Whats 60 bucks when your spending all that time running wire through your house. Might as well use the best you can when the price difference is so negligible. Thanks for the link !
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page