Online Retailers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where would you guys purchase speakers from? What are some trusted sites? I ask because I missed out on the deal Vanns had on the Energy C-100 bookshelves (they were $99/pair). So now I'm looking to find those elsewhere. Also, I found the C-C100 for $114 ... but on buy.com. Would you buy from there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Do you mean internet direct manufacturers or just retailers that sell brands that you could also find in a local audio store?

If you mean retailers try:
www.Amazon.com
www.Buy.com
www.Audioadvisor.com
www.wwstereo.com
www.crutchfield.com
www.6ave.com
www.onecall.com
www.vanns.com
www.tsto.com
www.partsexpress.com
www.accessories4less.com
www.newegg.com
www.jr.com

that should be a good start. I'm sure there's plenty more if others chime in.

Afro GT
post #3 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just edited my original post - did that help?
post #4 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I purchased my C-C100 from buy.com. Arrived new and in perfect condition as it should. In fact, they're probably the only place that sells it.

Good luck finding the C-100 bookshelf at many other places. Its being discontinued along with the rest of the Energy C-series so only a few vendors will have them.

I'd just wait until vanns reduces the price again. They've never been $149 on vanns website until today. It was always $118 and then went down to $99. Vanns didn't carry these speakers until they were on clearance.

There also might be some amazon merchants selling it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Afro GT
post #5 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Are you pleased with the C-C100? Do they come with the manufacturer's warranty? What do you have with it?

And thanks for the insight on the pricing. I'll give Vanns a call and see what I can work out ...
post #6 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

Are you pleased with the C-C100? What do you have with it?

And thanks for the insight on the pricing. I'll give Vanns a call and see what I can work out ...

Very pleased with C-C100. I have two pairs of C-100 bookshelfs to go with them. Works very well for me.

Afro GT
post #7 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really kicking myself for not jumping on that deal at Vanns ...
post #8 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If they are such great speakers, why are they being discontinued?
post #9 of 26 Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Powers View Post

Is that a rhetorical question?

Well anyway, for one thing, they're certainly not being discontinued because they suck. Manufacturers are always refining their products to give people something new to talk about or reach a different market, and it's not always practical to keep every single series in production. For all we know, they might just want to restyle the speakers or give them a more marketable series name. Whatever the reason here, most likely the C series will be replaced by speakers of a similar level of sound quality and price point (albeit not nearly as discounted), unless Energy has decided to move their entry-level speakers higher or lower with the hope of attracting new customers. Hey, I just talk about speakers--I know little of the arcane art of marketing.

The significant thing right now is that although these are Energy's current entry-level speakers, they are still better than what most people own, and they're currently being liquidated at a huge discount, making them true bargains that people would be smart to take advantage of while they can.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Powers View Post

Cause they've been around for 4-5 years, time for a new model. Same reason Honda and Toyota change the style of the Accord and Camry every 3-4 years! You need change to peak interest and increase sales after a while.

Afro GT
post #11 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

Is that a rhetorical question?

Well anyway, for one thing, they're certainly not being discontinued because they suck. Manufacturers are always refining their products to give people something new to talk about or reach a different market, and it's not always practical to keep every single series in production. For all we know, they might just want to restyle the speakers or give them a more marketable series name. Whatever the reason here, most likely the C series will be replaced by speakers of a similar level of sound quality and price point (albeit not nearly as discounted), unless Energy has decided to move their entry-level speakers higher or lower with the hope of attracting new customers. Hey, I just talk about speakers--I know little of the arcane art of marketing.

The significant thing right now is that although these are Energy's current entry-level speakers, they are still better than what most people own, and they're currently being liquidated at a huge discount, making them true bargains that people would be smart to take advantage of while they can.

Didn't Energy also get bought out?
post #12 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Yes, by Klipsh, but they still have new product line coming out. There is a huge energy forum going on right now due to all the deals lately with their product. And their has been mention of newer things that are just coming out with the energy name. I am by no means an expert, this is all just info I have learned reading up on that thread.
post #13 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Keep in mind, they're selling out at major discounts, but if they were such a great deal at MSRP, then there would have been no need for a liquidation sale!

As for Buy.com, I recommend them, too. I bought a defective motherboard that they accepted for return with no hassle at all.
post #14 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrasco31 View Post

Yes, by Klipsh, but they still have new product line coming out. There is a huge energy forum going on right now due to all the deals lately with their product. And their has been mention of newer things that are just coming out with the energy name. I am by no means an expert, this is all just info I have learned reading up on that thread.

What do you mean by "huge energy forum"?
post #15 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Yes, but they still have their own identity and signature sound, at least for now. If the newer products have horns and copper-colored woofers, then we'll know that something has really changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae View Post

Keep in mind, they're selling out at major discounts, but if they were such a great deal at MSRP, then there would have been no need for a liquidation sale!

The C series far outclasses what most of the general public uses, and therefore they normally cost more than what they're used to paying. If for some reason Energy or its parent company wants to bring a new product to market real soon, of course they and retailers are going to heavily discount them, and of course they're going to sell faster.

I don't understand the point of these negative comments. Are people trying to say that these are not good speakers? If that's what you want to say, then just say it. Are you basing this on the fact that they're apparently taking too long to sell at regular prices? Is that it? Oh, please--most people don't buy based on true quality and you know it (perceived quality based on name recognition, perhaps). I bet that Bose never has any trouble emptying their warehouses because their quality and value at MSRP are so fantastic!
post #16 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What do you mean by "huge energy forum"?

This Energy Owners thread with 10,000 post and 335 pages. Lots of reading, enjoy!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...30450&page=335

Afro GT
post #17 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

WOW ... Thanks
post #18 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 PM

The Energy C-Series is being replaced with the new CB models. It's essentially the same series as the C series but have some refinements and a slightly new look. They are just being updated that's all.

The Energy C - Series and CB models are the on the same level and every bit as good as the Paradigm Monitor, PSB Image lines and many other speakers on the market. This includes the new Monitor v.5 and v.6 Monitor models from Paradigm.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

The Energy C-Series is being replaced with the new CB models. It's essentially the same series as the C series but have some refinements and a slightly new look. They are just being updated that's all.

The Energy C - Series and CB models are the on the same level and every bit as good as the Paradigm Monitor, PSB Image lines and many other speakers on the market. This includes the new Monitor v.5 and v.6 Monitor models from Paradigm.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like they are some pretty good speakers, particularly for the price. Now I just have to find the C-100's again!
post #20 of 26 Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. It sounds like they are some pretty good speakers, particularly for the price. Now I just have to find the C-100's again!

They're back for $108 at Vann's... not missing out again, just bought them!
post #21 of 26 Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Got 'em too! Thanks to all!!
post #22 of 26 Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

The C series far outclasses what most of the general public uses, and therefore they normally cost more than what they're used to paying. If for some reason Energy or its parent company wants to bring a new product to market real soon, of course they and retailers are going to heavily discount them, and of course they're going to sell faster.

I don't understand the point of these negative comments. Are people trying to say that these are not good speakers? If that's what you want to say, then just say it. Are you basing this on the fact that they're apparently taking too long to sell at regular prices? Is that it? Oh, please--most people don't buy based on true quality and you know it (perceived quality based on name recognition, perhaps). I bet that Bose never has any trouble emptying their warehouses because their quality and value at MSRP are so fantastic!

I didn't think I was making a negative comment, and I have nothing negative to say about the Energy Cs. I was just trying to make a point of supply & demand. Bose sells high due to perceived value, even if those of us around here know it's not technically valuable. Yeah, when you compare a technially competent speaker like the Energys to Bose, they are a smokin' deal. But there are a lot of high value, technically competent speakers. I was just trying to counter some hyperbole about these particular Energy speakers on closeout. Yes, they are a great deal right now, but they are not the best deal ever, etc.
post #23 of 26 Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Back to a question I asked in a previous post ... I bought the C-100s off Vanns and the C-C100 off buy.com - do the manufacturer's warranties come with these purchases??
post #24 of 26 Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Back to a question I asked in a previous post ... I bought the C-100s off Vanns and the C-C100 off buy.com - do the manufacturer's warranties come with these purchases??

Yes, Vanns for sure. Buy.com probably. Since these speakers are closeouts, they usually expand the list of retailers to place like woot, ubid, buy.com and others. You could call Energy or Klipsch to verify about buy.com.

1-800-KLIPSCH

Afro GT
post #25 of 26 Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

Does Energy have a Model "every bit as good" as a Paradigm Studio 20 (two way bookshelf) speaker? If so, what is the Model Name/Number and who sells them online?

Appreciate the help.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Probably the RC-10 bookshelf. The Veritas 2.2i bookshelf is in a higher category than the Paradigm Studio 20.

Great price on RC-10s in cherry. Black cost twice as much.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...46/energy-rc10

Review
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm

The NHT Classic Three would be a good competitor for the Paradigm also.
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/n...ssic_three.htm

http://www.avguide.com/review/nht-cl...speaker?page=1

There's a small paragraph comparing the Studio Ref 20 and the NHT Classic Three
http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...ra/index1.html

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page