Polk Audio Vs Sony - Floor standings and Center Channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For last 3 yrs I have been using Logitech Z-5500. I just bought Onkyo -TX-SR606. I am considering upgrading my front 3 and using 2 of my Z-5500 set as rears. I already bought a Sub. I am on a budget (< 500 preferably) and room is a an average living room of a 1 bedroom apartment. Use is 80% Movie/TV and 20 % Music

I am divided between these 3 options. Any suggestions?

2x Polk Audio Monitor 50 + Polk Audio CS2/CS1

OR

2 x Sony SSF-5000 + Sony SS-CN5000

OR

2 x Polk Audio TSi300 + Polk CS10

From specs Monitor 50 and TSi300 look similar. Are they really worth extra 60$. Also, I couldn't find reviews of Sony speakers except on amazon. I am a newbie to HT stuff and any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was actually demoing the Polk's and Sony's at Best Buy today and the Polk's were so much better. No contest, Polk. No Sony. I don't know what happened to them. They used to make pretty good audio equipment. Actually, I'm being too hard. If you didn't compare the two and just listened to the Sony's, you'd think they sounded fine, but once you do an A-B comparison, it's night and day.

No matter what, don't get the Sony SS-CN5000. The frequency range is all wrong for a center channel. The SSF-5000 is a pretty good deal for floorstanding speakers though, even if the Polk's do blow them out of the water.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I would have a really hard time recommending Sony speakers vs Polk. They (Sony) are not horrible, but they just are not very good either. At least that has been my experience.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 PM

<<>>>

I have inspected the TSi100/Monitor 30 and TSi200/Monitor 40 models down to the Nth. detail and, despite Polk's ad copy, I can assure you, that those models are the same. Same drivers, same X-overs and same boxes.
Only the cosmetic details are different.
I assume the same is true for the floorstanders as well.

<<>>

Maybe, now that the TSi models are discounted.
It's amazing how a piece of piano black changes the look, adds a touch of class.
If you are the type that like to look at the drivers with the grills off, the Monitors.
The TSi's look better with the grills on and if there is an element of WAF, the extra $60 dollars might be well spent.

Or,
Spend that $60 on the Monitor 60's, considered by some(myself included), to be the best of the entire TSi/Monitor line.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

With regards to PAM 60s, If I am not mistaken their power rating is 20-200 watts and Onkyo TX-SR606 delivers at 90 watts. Won't I be underpowering the speakers and is it true that one can end up damaging the speakers if you underpower them.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
A little late here, but I concur that there is no comparison between these Polks and the Sonys. Maybe the Polk M10 or T15, but not the Monitors or TSis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

I was actually demoing the Polk's and Sony's at Best Buy today and the Polk's were so much better. No contest, Polk. No Sony. I don't know what happened to them. They used to make pretty good audio equipment.

Nothing happened to them--as far as I know, speaker companies have always outperformed major consumer electronics companies when it comes to speakers. If the reverse was ever true, then it was before my time. Sony's decent equipment is overpriced and not well known to the public, while their entry-level audio products have never been very good. They still make some of the better boomboxes, but in comparison to regular speakers, that's not saying much. Among consumer electronics companies, Yamaha has probably had the most success with speaker quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Actually, I'm being too hard. If you didn't compare the two and just listened to the Sony's, you'd think they sounded fine, but once you do an A-B comparison, it's night and day.

They've gotten better recently (especially their large speakers), but they're still way out of their league against speaker companies. That goes for Onkyo, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post

With regards to PAM 60s, If I am not mistaken their power rating is 20-200 watts and Onkyo TX-SR606 delivers at 90 watts. Won't I be underpowering the speakers

No because at any given time the receiver is only giving the speaker enough power to play at whatever volume is set. For casual background listening, that's barely 1 watt most of the time, although obviously it can get much higher at loud volumes (like when watching a movie). In this case, the receiver will obviously be the limiting factor, but as long as you stay within its limits with the volume control, then it won't be underpowering the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post

and is it true that one can end up damaging the speakers if you underpower them.

Yes, if you turn the volume too high and a really loud sound is played on a soundtrack, then the receiver may basically short-circuit and literally fry the speaker's drivers (specifically their voice coils). This doesn't happen too often, but it can happen. Usually you'll hear so much distortion (or the soundtrack will just be so loud) that you'll naturally turn the volume down before any real damage is done, or the receiver will sense an overload and shut down by itself, but since you asked, yes it can happen.

By the way, having a receiver with a lower watt rating than that of the speakers may not be ideal for the safety of the speakers, but it is the common case for the general public and even many audiophiles. Just don't go crazy with the volume, turn it down if you hear distortion, and like most people you'll probably be fine.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
I'd go with either polks, I've had some polks that went from my HT system to my bedroom and there about 6years old and still going strong and sound great . Im not sure but I think there the 600 RTI .
post #8 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 AM

I recently bought some rtia5's, using them on my ht/music setup. I'm pretty impressed with them, paired with a sub of course.

I was tempted to buy some monitor 70's: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...1447826&sr=8-2

I've never heard them though, so I shyed away from them.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 AM

I own Polk Monitor 50s with the Polk CSR center. I love my setup. I've demoed the sonys that you listed and they're ok sounding at best. To me, they just felt light and the crossovers weren't that great in there (I heard female voice bleeding into the woofer). You'll enjoy the Polks a lot more IMO.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Like others have said... The Polks >>>>>> Sonys. Monitor series and the TSi series are very similar, since the TSi series is just a revision of the Monitor line. Get whichever you think is better looking or costs less.

[HT]

Energy RC-70 Rosenut
Energy RC-LCR Rosenut
Energy Veritas 1.0CM
SVS PC12-NSD
Pioneer SC-1522-K

[Desktop]

Emotiva Airmotiv 4

Sennheiser HD555 modded

Pics of my setup

post #11 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

I recently bought some rtia5's, using them on my ht/music setup. I'm pretty impressed with them, paired with a sub of course.

I was tempted to buy some monitor 70's: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...1447826&sr=8-2

I've never heard them though, so I shyed away from them.

By the way, the RTi series is higher-end than the Monitor series.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM

I purchased a setup for my inlaws a couple years ago, I bought RTi8's for them. That's partly why I went with the RTIa5's, I demoed them locally, and thought they sounded a bit better than the 8's.

I had thought about about about the monitor 70's based off of price. $400 for the pair would have been nice..
post #13 of 14 Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Liked: 13
Newegg.com has the Polk Audio Monitor 60 Cherry Single Floorstanding Loudspeaker for $149.99 - $30 off coupon code EMCLTLN56″ (Expires 06/08/2009) = $119.99 with free shipping.

Casey
my site
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have a pair of polk rti a5's and find them to just be too bright and fatiguing to listen to. I'm now looking to sell them. Too bad because the bass was excellent. The Sonys have much smoother and more natural highs, but the bass isn't quite as tight and good.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page