Need Help With Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have kind of a wierd living room (see pics). First let me tell you what equipment I'm dealing with.

Onkyo TX-SR607 ($374.25)
Energy C-100 (4) ($218.12)
Energy C-C50 ($79.95)
HSU Research VTF-1 ($415)
PS3 Blu Ray ($212.50)
Panasonic 50" Plasma ($2400.00)

I'm setting up a 5.1 system. The living room is wide open into the kitchen. Total length of the room is 40' X 16' W. I have vaulted ceilings from 8'6" - 12'. The total length of the HT area is 16' X 18' (length to the furthest couch. I am 13' away from the TV when I sit on the couch. The wall the TV is on is 6' then the wall takes a 90 degree turn to the fireplace wall. (See pics, it will make sense). Do you think if I have the front speakers 6' apart that is enough or should I hang the front right speaker on the wall to the right that the TV is on (it would not look as nice as right next to the TV). Also I have the option to hang the Left Front speaker on the 90 degree fireplace wall. would this be a bad idea? How high should I place the speakers? Should I place the rear speakers lower then the front speakers?

Please let me know if I didn't explain it good enough... just look at the pics and tell me what you would do.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Also, just a side note (don't know if it matters), I will be primarily using it for movies then music then games.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I would use stands on either side of the TV to hold the L-R front C-100's. You might even use stands for the two C-100 surrounds. The recommended layout from Dolby Labs shows the surrounds as "sides" at 100 to 110 degrees with the TV as zero degrees. Focus the sound from the speakers on the listening area (couch), you have a tremendous volume to fill up otherwise. Folks on the Energy thread have had good luck with Sansus stands at reasonable prices, pick units that mount the tweeters in the C-100's at "seated ear height" http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...&sprefix=sanus

good luck
post #4 of 4 Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

I would use stands on either side of the TV to hold the L-R front C-100's. You might even use stands for the two C-100 surrounds. The recommended layout from Dolby Labs shows the surrounds as "sides" at 100 to 110 degrees with the TV as zero degrees. Focus the sound from the speakers on the listening area (couch), you have a tremendous volume to fill up otherwise. Folks on the Energy thread have had good luck with Sansus stands at reasonable prices, pick units that mount the tweeters in the C-100's at "seated ear height" http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...&sprefix=sanus

good luck

From the toys on the floor, I surmise he has young kids. Speakers on stands can be hazardous with young kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMailMan View Post

The wall the TV is on is 6' then the wall takes a 90 degree turn to the fireplace wall. (See pics, it will make sense).

Actually, it looks like it makes a 45 degree angle.

Quote:

Do you think if I have the front speakers 6' apart that is enough or should I hang the front right speaker on the wall to the right that the TV is on (it would not look as nice as right next to the TV).

IMO, you would be better off with the speakers mounted around the TV.

Quote:

Also I have the option to hang the Left Front speaker on the 90 degree fireplace wall. would this be a bad idea?

If it would not be aimed in the same direction as the CC and the R speakers, then it would be a bad idea. Also, it would be better to have the L and R speakers the same distance from the TV.

Quote:

How high should I place the speakers? Should I place the rear speakers lower then the front speakers?

All three at the same height just above the display would probably be "best". However, the WAF on the L/R's next to the display and the CC above or below it is a little higher. Pick your poison.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page