New 5.1 Setup, three options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yet another "which speakers to buy" thread you say? As a long time lurker, the pitifulness of my first post being pretty much a rehash of every other thread out there is not lost on me. However, I do need a little help from you friendly forum posters, so, with my pride swallowed, I ask:

What do you think of these options?

Err... let me back up... This will be my first major HT setup. I feel that a good loudspeaker works well for movies if it does well with music, but for the curious, I guess I would say 60/40 music(All genres, emphasis on rock, electronic, and world/ethnic)/movies(Next gen gaming, blu-ray, emphasis on action and artistic). My room is pretty small, 12' by 20' ish, with about 12' by 12' for the HT space. Components I have concluded on/own are as follows:

Display: Pioneer Elite Pro-111fd
Power: Panamax M5100-PM
Sources: Xbox 360, Blu-ray player (TBD, looking at Pio BDP-51FD/BDP-05FD, one of the new Denon pieces, or PS3)
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-05

OK, take two:

Option one: B&W 685 Home theater
Fronts 685's
Center HTM62/61 (depends on price)
Rears 686's
Sub Episode C5 12"

Option two: Paradigm Monitor Titan Home theater
Fronts Titan Monitors
Center CC-290
Rears Atom Monitors
Sub DSP-3200 12"

Option three: Aperion 5B Fusion SD
Fronts Intimus 5B
Center Intimus 5C
Rears Intimus 4B
Sub Bravus 8D

I have listened to the B&Ws at an intimate, small scale dealer. They were set up in acoustically treated rooms with multi-thousand dollar cabling (MIT, etc) and Amps (Rotel, etc). I was able to have the setup demoed on an SC-05. I've been listening to the Paradigms at a larger retailer. Their setup incorporates a lot of switching mechanisms, and what looked like 18 to 16 gauge wire. Considering the Aperions for in-home audition mostly based on reviews/appearance.

Initial impressions are that the B&Ws are a bit more clear and detailed, but show more signs of strain at higher volumes. The Paradigms are a bit more dynamic, but they didn't quite seem as accurate or as detailed. I suspect that some of that loss of detail was due to the poor setup in the larger store.

My budget is $1100 - $1500, with preference for the lower end of that, obviously. I work for a major electronics retailer, and will probably use some accommodation offers from Klipsch and JBL as leverage for good pricing at the local dealers.

What do you guys think? If I can get the local shops down to $1200ish do you think the Aperions would even be worth auditioning at nearly $1600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The journey continues. Just in case anyone is following along, here's my updated situation; I was a bit too optimistic in thinking I could work the local dealers down that far. Also, after auditioning many subs of various driver sizes, I think a 12" is really necessary, so I've sort of ruled out the Aperions as the dual 8" is the only one in my price range. They do have that full-price trade up program, though...

Any way, I've gotten both the Paradigm and B&W dealers down to about $1800 after tax. My main concern now is that I have a resource to get Polk's TSi series near cost. I can setup a pair of TSi500 foorstanders, CS20 center, TSi200 bookshelves for rear and a PSW125 sub for less than half that. Are floor standing speakers always an upgrade over bookshelf/monitors? Only heard the Polk's (TSi400 though) in a big box retailer, didn't even have a dedicated listening room. Given that setup, the other two brands (especially the B&W's) blow them away. Twice as good, though? That I'm not sure about. If anyone want's to chime in and offer some advise, it'd been very much appreciated.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page