In-Home Speaker Reviews {Emotiva/HSU/Ascend/SVS} - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 92 Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone. I just thought I would introduce myself on my first post here. (Skip to the next paragraph if you want to go directly to the start of the speaker comparison. I promise it will not hurt my feelings : ) I have been a home audio enthusiast for over twenty years and dabbled in car audio SQ (sound quality) competing when I was in college. I played oboe and saxophone for 8 years, but had to stop when working on getting my engineering degree was taking up all of my time. I listen to the best high end systems whenever I can, and am always on a never ending quest to find the best audio values in different price ranges. My favorite high end speakers are Martin Logan electrostatics and the Paradigm Signature series. I have enjoyed reading and learning on AVS forum, and now hope I can contribute back to the community and share my experiences with you all.
Cheers, Joe

For the past month I have been on a mission to find the best less than {$250/each} speakers for my family room music/home theater space. They will be replacing my previous Definitive Technology BP8B mains/LCR-2002 center setup. I will be running the speakers with a subwoofer. Making use of the 30 day in home trials being offered I decided to audition the top (4) I.D. speakers that I could find. I tested all of the speakers in pairs, and used a 100W/ channel stereo receiver to power them. All tone/processing adjustments were set to zero for testing. I spent at least 4 hours of critical listening with each speaker.

I will list the speakers in the order that I received them:

Emotiva ERM-1 {$358/pair shipped}

(I received an unexpected surprise of a 10% off speaker package discount on the ERM-1 speakers. I did not show up when I placed my order online, but I was adjusted on the invoice that was sent to be by Emotiva the next day.)

These speakers appear very high quality and well made. The black satin cabinet is silky smooth, solid and seamless. The multi-way binding posts and tweeter/boundary dip switches are high quality as well. These speakers feature useful and functional switches for tweeter level (-2db/+0db/-2db) and boundary compensation (Off/On). I started my listening session with the tweeter level set to zero and boundary compensation off.

The ERM-1's sound very clear and natural. The main thing that struck me when listening to these speakers was the amazing soundstage and depth that they brought out in almost all recordings. The depth and space around the music was natural and pleasing. The ERM-1's have excellent power handling and output capabilities. I just kept turning up the volume and they kept delivering more clean uncompressed/unstrained sound.

On some mediocre quality source material (such as standard definition satellite TV) these speakers did tend to bring out a slight harshness that I found fatiguing. In my room I determined their useful lower extension limits to be around 100Hz which is a little higher than my preferred 80Hz crossover limit when using my subwoofer. These speakers definitely need to be used with a subwoofer (I listened extensively with and without a sub), and integrate well with it.

HSU-HB1 mk2{$334/pair shipped}

These speakers have a nice black satin finish and solid feel to them. Their magnetic grill is robust and stays in place nicely. With the speaker grills off, I positioned each HB1 toed in (as per recommended by Dr. HSU) so that I could just see the outside face of each speaker. It is said that with the horn design this more extreme toe-in than normal creates a wide sweet spot and excellent imaging, and it does. The HB1's have a very well balanced frequency response and sound excellent. These are also the only speakers out of the group that I could happily listen to without a subwoofer. They will still greatly benefit from a good subwoofer, but have enough low end extension and output to be enjoyable on their own.

Now their Achilles Heel the speaker grill kills the sound! The fabric is very thick and durable, but it just makes the speaker sound like well someone put a thick piece of cloth over it. There is an upside to everything though. Out of all of the speakers in this group the HB1's are made for being used without their grill. The tweeter is deeply recessed into the horn and it has a clear protective cross-hair shaped cover over it (I would not be worried about curious little fingers being able to press in the tweeter). With its magnetic grill design there are no post holes, and everything looks nice and clean.

Ascend CMT-340 SE B-Stock {$488/pair shipped}

These speakers do not have the smooth satin black finish of the other speakers in the group, and they feel less solid with the knuckle rap test than the others. They do have basic but clean fit and finish. I will say that I was a little worried about ordering a B-Stock item, but I could not find anything cosmetically or sonically wrong with either speaker. I would not hesitate to recommend someone ordering B-Stock from Ascend.

The CMT-340 SE speakers sound fantastic. They are noticeably the most efficient speakers of the group and have great dynamics. They have descent bass extension (second only to the HB1s) and at the other end of the spectrum, a detailed and revealing top end.

The midrange is very nice and clear, but at the upper end (500Hz - 2000Hz) it is about 2 or 3db above neutral, and can present itself as being a little forward/bright sounding. It would though be a simple fix for me to equalize it out using the built in Audyssey EQ in my receiver.

SVS - SCS-01(M) {$371/pair shipped}

These speakers have a nice black satin finish and solid feel to them. They have a similar [W-T-W] design as the CMT-340s, but are asymmetric in the fact that the tweeter is offset from the long axis centerline of the cabinet.

The SCS-01(M) speakers sound very good with their grill on or off, and have a well balanced frequency response. I did a lot of A/B comparisons between the SVS and Ascend speakers. The SCS-01 held its own very well against the more expensive CMT-340s, and sounded very similar across the most of the frequency spectrum. At the very ends of the spectrum the Ascends held a slight edge over the SCS-01s due to the CMT-340s larger woofers at the low end, and its slightly extended response at the highest of frequencies. All in all the SCS-01s did extremely well.

One thing that was apparent during the A/B comparisons was that the sensitivity of the SCS-01s was about 3-4db less efficient than the CMT-340s, which were the most efficient speakers of the group. During my evaluations I never got to a point where I couldn't just turn up the volume a little more to reach the levels that I wanted, but it was an apparent difference nevertheless.

Conclusions:

What my month of evaluating these speakers showed me was that the level of performance available today from these modern, relatively inexpensive speakers is astounding! Each speaker has its strengths and represents an amazing value. The Emotivas offer a soundstage, clean dynamic levels and a variety of useful custom adjustments that is to be reckoned with. The HSUs with their grills off have an exceptionally balanced frequency response and can be enjoyed with or without a sub. The SVSs are the jack of all trades and offer value and versatility that others should strive for. And last but not least, the Ascends offer a bit of magic that makes you forget about the equipment, settings, levels and transports you into the world the sound came from.

P.S. I could keep going on more about the speakers, or go into the recordings and test CDs I used, but I thought I would keep the specifics for any particular questions people might have. So please feel free to ask away. Now I am going to take a break from this addicting forum and go listen to my Ascends : )

Hope you find this post helpful.

Joe
lurch0101 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice write-up Joe... and welcome to the forum!

Yeah, you're absolutely right in that you can grab excellent performers for very affordable prices, mainly thru ID companies

BTW, I do have 03 x SCS-01'a and couldn't be happier. Never heard the others, though.

Regards, Chuck

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #3 of 92 Old 05-30-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Great write-up and comparison thread. It's funny, but you ended up auditioning all of the speakers that I really had a hard time deciding between (I also really liked the NHT Classic 3). I actually ordered the Emotiva speakers until I realized that they are 4ohm speakers and my receiver (I have an Onkyo 605) does not recommend pairing 4ohm speakers to it. I really liked the boundary and tweeter controls that the Emotiva speakers offered. The Ascends were really tempting, but the center channel pushed me over my budget, and the Ascends (not B stock) came to $916 shipped vs $569 shipped for the SVS SCS-01 speakers. I was really trying to keep my budget on the front 3 speakers in the $600-650 range (shipped). So I ended up getting the SVS SCS-01 speakers and really love them. They are a noticeable step up over my previous Polk tower (rt600i) and center channel speakers. But the Ascends sound very tempting. The Emotiva ERM-2's would be an interesting comparison with the Ascends as well since they are very close in price (unless you can and don't mind getting "B" stock Ascends).

So it sounds like you ended up with Ascends, correct?
post #4 of 92 Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

One more question (that I think could help others). Since you returned so many speakers, how was that experience? How was the customer service for the respective companies mentioned in your thread? I spoke to Emotiva, HSU, and SVS on the phone and all of them were great to work with. Canceling my Emotiva order was simple and painless.
post #5 of 92 Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

So it sounds like you ended up with Ascends, correct?

Yes

Quote:

One more question (that I think could help others). Since you returned so many spea kers, how was that experience? How was the customer service for the respective companies mentioned in your thread? I spoke to Emotiva, HSU, and SVS on the phone and all of them were great to work with. Canceling my Emotiva order was simple and painless.

No problems with any of the returns. I tried to let each company know what my experiences with the speakers were. HSU Research in particular took my suggestion of changing their grill cloth and relayed it to Dr. HSU. They did however take the longest to credit my purchase (Approx. 15 days after they received my RMA packages)
post #6 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I was also looking at Axiom M22 v2 speakers, but thought that auditioning a fifth speaker would be pushing the limits with my wonderful wife
post #7 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

I was also looking at Axiom M22 v2 speakers, but thought that auditioning a fifth speaker would be pushing the limits with my wonderful wife

Thanks for taking the time to audition the different speakers and posting your thoughts. I would agree that some of the internet direct companies offer great bang for the buck and that one probably couldn't go wrong with any of the products you've reviewed. I do have a few follow up questions for you. How did you determine you needed a higher crossover for the Emotiva's in your room? What receiver/sub were you using? If possible, could you elaborate a little more on the music you were listening to? It sounds like you chose the Ascend's, is that correct? If so, what set those apart from the others for you? What size room was your comparison done in, and was it treated or untreated? Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post

How did you determine you needed a higher crossover for the Emotiva's in your room?

I used test cds that were created by Stereophile magazine which have several useful test tones and continuous tone sweeps to determine the lower USEFUL limits of the speakers. I used my ears and a Radio Shack SPL meter to determine the smoothest crossover/subwoofer setup.

http://ssl.blueearth.net/primedia/home.php?cat=2

Quote:

What receiver/sub were you using? What size room was your comparison done in, and was it treated or untreated?

I used a Technics SA-GX770 100W/ch receiver without any processing or tone adjustments, just clean old school wattage, and a Boston Acoustics VR500 subwoofer. My listening space is close-walled at the front / left / rear, and is around 2000ft^3. It is open to another 2500ft^3 to the right of the space. It is fully carpeted with no wall treatments, and my main listening position is located 18" away from the rear wall.

Quote:

If possible, could you elaborate a little more on the music you were listening to?

I have a wide range of cds that I use for speaker evaluation that include Norah Jones/Eva Cassidy (female vocals), Led Zeppelin/Metallica (rock dynamics), Michael Buble/Harry Connick Jr. (male vocals/big band), Nas/Jay-Z (rap/hip-hip dynamics), along with many Classical/Baroque recordings. I also evaluated the speakers in several "stereo" home theater/digital tv applications.

Quote:

It sounds like you chose the Ascend's, is that correct? If so, what set those apart from the others for you?

Yes I chose the Ascend 340s for L/C/R duty in my audio system. They have a clear and revealing sound, with a very even and wide dispersion off axis. They also sound great at all dynamic levels.
post #9 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM

I'm curious what you thought of the off axis response of the other speakers.
post #10 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Interesting that the Ascend are audibly more efficient than the Hsu when they're both rated the same (92db in-room).
post #11 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

... but thought that auditioning a fifth speaker would be pushing the limits with my wonderful wife

Hey,

do you have the Eagles concert - Live in Melbourne - by chance?

Tell you what, in one particular song Glen Frey says that his wife calls it the "credit card song" and that very song is: Take it to the Limit !!

Is that what you've done with yours??? :

Regards, Chuck

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #12 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Muzikal-JRNE, you are a gentleman and a scholar for taking the time to do this great comparison/review! I have been intensely researching this exact range of speakers. I noticed that you primarily used various types of music for your evaluations (which is wise). For my application I will be utilizing primarily HT material.

After several trial and errors (still no satisfaction) I realize the three features most important to me are (1) a wide sound stage, (2) great off axis performance, and (3) a speaker that is efficient/sensitive. Just like ack_bk, I have an Onkyo 605 (90wx7).
post #13 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post

I'm curious what you thought of the off axis response of the other speakers.

When listening for off axis performance I had three different things that I evaluated:

(1) Slightly off the sweet spot (horizontally), this ranged from 6" to 24".

What I looked for here was a smooth transition of the center image from the geometric center between the speakers, to the relative center image location depending on the listing location. With home theater we use center channel speakers to take care of this, but with 2-channel music it is nice to have at least descent imaging for you and a friend sitting on the couch at the same time while listening to music. This test is also highly dependent on speaker toe-in.

First place = Ascend
Second place (tie) = HSU and SVS {Note: This is with the HSUs in their recommended large toe-in positioning}
Third place = Emotiva

(2) Extreme off axis (horizontally) single speaker test.

Center imaging is totally gone with extreme off axis response, but you don't want to lose high frequency response with this test.

First place = Ascend
Second place (tie) = SVS and Emotiva
Third place = HSU

(3) Stand up / Sit down (vertical axis response).

I call this one my "Enjoy the music while being productive around the house test." or "Every Body Dance Now" (With a Borat accent) PARTY test.

First place = Ascend
Second place (tie) = SVS and Emotiva
Third place = HSU

((Please be aware that coming in third in these tests does not make the off-axis response bad, just means that the others were slightly better.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

Interesting that the Ascend are audibly more efficient than the Hsu when they're both rated the same (92db in-room).

The difference in sensitivities between the the HB1s and 340s was very slight, around 1db or so (not really noticeable unless doing a direct A/B comparison).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Hey,

do you have the Eagles concert - Live in Melbourne - by chance?

Tell you what, in one particular song Glen Frey says that his wife calls it the "credit card song" and that very song is: Take it to the Limit !!

Is that what you've done with yours??? :

Regards, Chuck

No. I don't have that Eagles concert, but would like to add some Eagles music to my collection (None yet).

Luckily I had enough of an "emergency buffer" in my checking account to be able to audition the different speakers, and if finding the right speakers that you will be keeping for a long time isn't an emergency then I don't know what is

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Muzikal-JRNE, you are a gentleman and a scholar for taking the time to do this great comparison/review! I have been intensely researching this exact range of speakers. I noticed that you primarily used various types of music for your evaluations (which is wise). For my application I will be utilizing primarily HT material.

After several trial and errors (still no satisfaction) I realize the three features most important to me are (1) a wide sound stage, (2) great off axis performance, and (3) a speaker that is efficient/sensitive.

Thanks for the kind words! The whole time I was auditioning the speakers I was thinking how great it will be to be able to share my experiences with the AVS forum and others who may be in the same boat as me. My wife said that I was crazy for spending a whole afternoon writing the initial post, but knowing that it is helping others who share my passion for great sound makes it all worth it.

Matching the criteria that you gave I would say that the HSUs (if you don't mind having the grills off, or if you want to try to recover the grills) are really great speakers for the money. They have a very nice sound stage and their horizontal off-axis response is good if you stay within being a foot or so outside of the speaker positions (Ex. 8ft between L/R speakers = optimal seating position width for home theater would be within 10ft width).

If the price difference isn't as big of a factor than the Ascends would work great as well. I do think that they may have stopped their B-Stock sale though.

SVS and Emotivas are great speakers in their own right as well, but they just are not quite as sensitive as the HSUs and Ascends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Just like ack_bk, I have an Onkyo 605 (90wx7).

I have an Onkyo TX-SR607 on order that will hopefully be arriving soon.

Cheers Everyone, Joe
post #14 of 92 Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you will like the Onkyo 607. I have been very happy with the 605, but I do wish I would have jumped up to the 705 series as it adds the ability to add a dedicated amp (as well as support for 4 ohm speakers like the Emotivas, Audyssey multi-EQ vs 2EQ, more wattage, etc.
post #15 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

As a side note... I will be using Emotiva ERD-1 speakers for surround duty. They use the same drivers as the ERM-1, but with a [T-W-T] angled horizontal configuration, and are nice and compact. They incorporate switches for dipole/bipole configuration so they can be adjusted optimally for any location.

http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm
post #16 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Hi I am a real newbie on HT stuff. I have recently upgraded after 6yrs to a Pio VSX-01txh and 111FD plasma.

My orginial setup was an Onkyo HTIB HT-500 or something, it is 6yrs old. So my TV and AVR have been replaced.

I am no audiophile for sure but the SCS 01 front and center look real nice as does the b stock Ascend CMT 340 front and center.

would my VSX-01txh pair well with them? The Ascend are on the higher of what I want to spend($750+ shipped vs $560 shipped on SCS01).

Any thoughts on which would be best. They would used mostly for SDTV/HDTV, Bluray and some music.
post #17 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

Hi I am a real newbie on HT stuff. I have recently upgraded after 6yrs to a Pio VSX-01txh and 111FD plasma.

My orginial setup was an Onkyo HTIB HT-500 or something, it is 6yrs old. So my TV and AVR have been replaced.

I am no audiophile for sure but the SCS 01 front and center look real nice as does the b stock Ascend CMT 340 front and center.

would my VSX-01txh pair well with them? The Ascend are on the higher of what I want to spend($750+ shipped vs $560 shipped on SCS01).

Any thoughts on which would be best. They would used mostly for SDTV/HDTV, Bluray and some music.

I think the SCS-01 speakers would go great with your VSX-01TXH. If I was not able to get the 340s on B-Stock then I would have happily kept the SCS-01 as my L/C/R speakers. I think you would be very happy with them in your setup. Let us know what you end up getting and what you think of the sound.

Cheers, Joe
post #18 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 AM

What no Pics???

Seriously thanks for taking the time to do this, its good to see some ID comparisons.
post #19 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the SCS-01 speakers would go great with your VSX-01TXH. If I was not able to get the 340s on B-Stock then I would have happily kept the SCS-01 as my L/C/R speakers. I think you would be very happy with them in your setup. Let us know what you end up getting and what you think of the sound.

Cheers, Joe

Hey your in Tampa too. Small world.

I dont mind spending the $200 if there is a moderate difference in quality between the SCS-01 and CMT 340s

Father's Day is in 2 weeks
post #20 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey your in Tampa too. Small world.

I dont mind spending the $200 if there is a moderate difference in quality between the SCS-01 and CMT 340s

Father's Day is in 2 weeks

It really is a small world. If you want, I would be happy to invite you over to my home and let you listen to the CMT-340s for yourself. Send me a P.M. if you are interested.

Cheers, Joe
post #21 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So, the SCS would have been your 2nd choice? I know for my set-up you were recommending the HSU due its great sensitivity and off-axis performance. One thing that I did notice was that you were ranking the HSU last for the "Extreme off-axis test" and the "stand up / sit down vertical test". More than likely I will have the speakers on a 40" stand because my TV is mounted 6 feet high above the mantle .

I wanted to ask if you could also comment on which speakers you thought was the most forward....and perhaps the best one for primary HT use. Thanks again for your time to this tread.

BTW, one of the criteria I also had for the speaker that I choose is its appearance. Like many, my speakers will be in a family room (as opposed to behind a screen in a dedicated theatre room); thus, the looks will be just as important as the sound for its application.
post #22 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, I am originally from Lakeland, FL and my family still lives there (I know live outside Salt Lake City, Utah).

Small world indeed
post #23 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #24 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

ack_bk...truly a small world. I work in Lakeland and Brandon, FL.

Muzikal-JRNE..thanks for the offer. I will PM you.

Now the question is should I get the SCS01 and used the saved money to get a new sub as well vs just the CMT 340 L/C/R and no new sub? My old sub is again from 6yr old Onkyo HTIB HT500. I have no idea the spec on it...it could be pure crap for all I know.
post #25 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Muzikal-JRNE.....any thoughts on adding acoustical treatments to your room? It is always good to see people take the time to compare speakers in their own environment, it really offers you a better understanding that reading the individual praises of good speakers really can not help you compare.

Quote:

With the current moving sale, the CMT-340SE is less espensive than the SCS-01. Nevermind...I am complete wrong. Even with the free shipping, the 340's are still about $170 more expensive per pair. The SCS-01 is a very nice speaker and IMO competitive with the CBM-170SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browninggold View Post

What no review of Aperion speakers ?????? Should be illegal

Their pricepoints do not match up well with what the JRNE compared.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #26 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ack_bk...truly a small world. I work in Lakeland and Brandon, FL.

Muzikal-JRNE..thanks for the offer. I will PM you.

Now the question is should I get the SCS01 and used the saved money to get a new sub as well vs just the CMT 340 L/C/R and no new sub? My old sub is again from 6yr old Onkyo HTIB HT500. I have no idea the spec on it...it could be pure crap for all I know.

It (your sub) is most definitely going to be a weak link. As an owner of a Polk sub that stepped up into an Elemental Designs sub, it made a pretty dramatic difference in sound quality for me. The Polk sub had plenty of "boomy" bass but it did not have tight accurate bass and really could not extend into the lower frequency ranges with authority at all.

So this is a tough call. That is good b-stock pricing on the Ascend's, but getting the SVS speakers and a better sub may give you better bang for your buck.

Tough call. But for me, I consider the subwoofer to be just as important as my main speakers because I watch a lot of movies. So I would probably go with the slightly cheaper SVS speakers and put the money saved towards a good sub.

What are your room dimensions (length, width, height)?
post #27 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It (your sub) is most definitely going to be a weak link. As an owner of a Polk sub that stepped up into an Elemental Designs sub, it made a pretty dramatic difference in sound quality for me. The Polk sub had plenty of "boomy" bass but it did not have tight accurate bass and really could not extend into the lower frequency ranges with authority at all.

So this is a tough call. That is good b-stock pricing on the Ascend's, but getting the SVS speakers and a better sub may give you better bang for your buck.

Tough call. But for me, I consider the subwoofer to be just as important as my main speakers because I watch a lot of movies. So I would probably go with the slightly cheaper SVS speakers and put the money saved towards a good sub.

What are your room dimensions (length, width, height)?

The room dimensions are not well defined as my family room connects to the kitchen and there are several windows and sliding glass door. Ceilings are 10ft or 11ft.

My rear are in the celing and got them when the house was built. I cant recall the details on them, ie brand

I want to change the L/C/R...SCS-01 for all 3 is about $570 shipped
Ascends CMT340 L/C/R B stock $458 plus $240=$700 plus shipping
add a sub for $300...up to $900-1100

what elemental designs sub did you buy?
post #28 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #29 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 76
If you are looking at pricing, a couple of things to consider:
The SCS-01 and the CBM-170SE are more comparable in terms of FR.
If you go with the SCS-01's, you will likely be able to get a nice package deal with an SVS sub.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #30 of 92 Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page