Bash my Bose system........ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figure being my first post and making a thread title like this will get me some attention. Yes I have a bose speaker system minus the bose sub. I bought a 12" sub from a speaker supply house for like 125 bucks and the thing rocks the walls. I have a little story about how I ended up with bose and then I have some choices to make about my system and where I want to go from here and I need some of you audiophiles to step in and give me some guidance if possible.

I bought the basic bose system from circuit city over 10 years ago I think and I believe that setup cost me around 600 or 900 dollars at the time. I thought bose were the best speakers back then. Obviously years have gone by and the internet has opened my eyes a bit about the speaker market. I have read a bunch but for some reason it seems the more I read the more confused I get about the particular types of speakers I want. This has lead me to this problem I'm in right now.

My first purchase of bose came with 3 double cubes and a passive (dog ****) sub. That was the only time I paid full price for bose. The rest of my bose I bought from ebay. After a few quick buys and turn around sales on the double cubes I'm currently left with 5 double cubes and a center channel (which is also dog ****).

I switched out my Onkyo 5.1 for a Sony STR-DG920 which I picked up online brand new for about $385 which to me wasn't to bad of a price and got me into HDMI connections for my PS3 and flat panel LCD TV and cable box. It also takes me to 7.1 instead of the 5.1.

My problem at the moment is that I'm trying to decide on what to do about the speakers. I have most of what I need to finish off the bose system and I priced out what it would cost me by getting the stuff off ebay. To finish it up in bose it would cost me about $325 which would get me two more stands, one more double cube and a center channel speaker off a lifestyles system.

I wanted to hear some other speakers also so I took a ride out to ABT Electronics to see what speakers had a similar footprint and could beat out the Bose. Really the salesperson pushed me right away towards the brand MK. So he kicked on the MK's and the sound definitely beat the Bose but it wasn't really night and day. I had him switch from the Bose to the MK's a few times and the real difference between the two speakers was that the MK's sounded a bit more full. The quality of the sound was fantastic where the bose sounded a bit more flat sounding. So I was getting all geared up to make the switch when the salesperson says well if you get the MK's you'll want to switch your receiver out also.

Well now this adds on a huge amount of cost and even if I Flea-bay all the bose and the new receiver plus the old Onkyo 5.1 I'm still going to be shelling out a hell of a lot more mullah than it would take to just finish it off with bose and live with the flatter sound. The real downside to that is the center channel to me because the voices when watching a movie sounds like the people are talking through a tin cup with a string.

So I live in a townhouse and the speakers can only be turned up so high anyway and I prefer the micro sized speakers for how they fit into the room. I don't need speakers that blow me away but I do want to hear the movies I'm watching and I want something that doesn't sound muffled. There are so many little mini speakers I find on the web by some really good names but I have never personally heard them.

So here is my quest and the reason for my post and I'm hoping someone can stare me in the right direction here. My Goals are this:

1) Keep the new receiver and find speakers that work with it. (8 Ohm I guess)

2) If I do a swap out on speakers keep the cost low and the quality high and keep a smaller footprint similar to bose.

3) If I don't do a full swap out figure a way to finish off the system and get the voices in movies so I can hear them. (mix and match or just finish it off with bose)

Realize guys I'm on a strict budget here because the truth be told I shouldn't even be thinking about equipment at the moment but it's annoying me so much I have to do something.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Sell the Bose, get an SVS surround package. Keep the receiver.

End cost about the same.
post #3 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

Sell the Bose, get an SVS surround package. Keep the receiver.

End cost about the same.

Could you give me a guide to the speakers you are referring to. This is the first time I have even heard of SVS.
post #4 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 AM

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

They are big in subwoofers. I personally own PB-10 and it rocks. Haven't heard their speakers though.
post #5 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You understand that Bose are not good, and yet you are considering spending more money on them Give your head a shake

Sell the existing ones to add more money to your budget and consider:

- DefTech ProMonitor 800 (list at $145 ea, x5 is $725, likely to get a better price when you call); or get a ProCinema 600 system and sell either it's sub or the other one you have

- Mirage NanoSat (or Prestige)

- Orb Audio

post #6 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by beermantm View Post

Could you give me a guide to the speakers you are referring to. This is the first time I have even heard of SVS.

I have three SVS SCS-01 speakers as my mains and love them. Their SBS speakers are slightly cheaper and smaller will definitely be a step up over Bose. There are lots of other speakers to consider as well, what do you think your max budget is going to be? And what is your overall room dimensions (length, width, height) where these are going to be installed? Selling the receiver at this point does not seem as nearly as big of an issue as just getting better speakers. The nice thing about Bose is that they are marketed well and I am sure somebody will want them on Ebay/Craigslist.
post #7 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I have three SVS SCS-01 speakers as my mains and love them. Their SBS speakers are slightly cheaper and smaller will definitely be a step up over Bose. There are lots of other speakers to consider as well, what do you think your max budget is going to be? And what is your overall room dimensions (length, width, height) where these are going to be installed? Selling the receiver at this point does not seem as nearly as big of an issue as just getting better speakers. The nice thing about Bose is that they are marketed well and I am sure somebody will want them on Ebay/Craigslist.

Let me find a tape ad I'll get some measurements. It's a standard size townhome basement they are going in and obviously the bose you hardly notice in the room. I'll maybe get some pictures up also.

Max budget is a bit flexible but seeing as I don't know what my future work outlook looks like I like keeping my money and not spending it. If I can flip out the bose and be much happier with the sound and keep the size of the speakers fairly small I might toss the bose on ebay by the end of the night. I just want to be sure of what I'm doing because impulse buying and me don't get along to well.
post #8 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Let me find a tape ad I'll get some measurements. It's a standard size townhome basement they are going in and obviously the bose you hardly notice in the room. I'll maybe get some pictures up also.

Max budget is a bit flexible but seeing as I don't know what my future work outlook looks like I like keeping my money and not spending it. If I can flip out the bose and be much happier with the sound and keep the size of the speakers fairly small I might toss the bose on ebay by the end of the night. I just want to be sure of what I'm doing because impulse buying and me don't get along to well.

Until you sell the Bose and know your budget it will be close to impossible for folks on this forum to really make recommendations to you. I do know that you could probably buy $50 Insignia bookshelf speakers at Best Buy that sound as good (probably better) than the Bose.
post #9 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 AM

If you want to stay small these Mirage will walk all over the Bose and use the sub and receiver you have, you'll still be at 5.1 though but you can buy more speakers as you wish. I went 5.1 to 7.1 back to 5.1, not that big a difference to me.
post #10 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

mrrame gave you the link to an SVS package. If the SBS (the smallest SVS speaker) are too big, these are Bose sized, with a much bigger sound...

http://www.canton.de/en-produktdetai...-movie60cx.htm

You can find them at Amazon.
post #11 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

mrrame gave you the link to an SVS package. If the SBS (the smallest SVS speaker) are too big, these are Bose sized, with a much bigger sound...

Now those are slick!! I like em!! Alot. Let me look these over.

Here is the room they are going in and how the room is setup. Excuse the mess.

http://www.beermantm.com/images/001.JPG

The measurements are basically 21.5 feet at its longest point wall to wall and roughly 17 feet at the widest point and 15 at the narrow spot.

Oh as far as budget goes I have money I just don't want this to turn into a strip down rebuild that is going to cost me a grand or more. I kind of want to spend the least and get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks for all the responses so far you guys are definitely helping me with this and I will consider all options but I would like to keep in mind I haven't heard any of these speakers so I need to be pointed at the speakers you know personally to get the job done.

If I do switch them out I will post pictures and maybe even some video of the new set up so this should be fun to find the perfect fit.
post #12 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Are these BA's any good? They are about 87 bucks a piece at Amazon also and I can get the speakers and a center without having to get a sub along with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../ref=de_a_smtd
post #13 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM

Beerman!

I used Bose for awhile also. Same situation, it took the internet to pull the wool off of my eyes. Uh... and ears. I ended up with a Paradigm speaker package, and the difference is phenomenal.
Consider a whole new speaker package because timbre-matching is a big deal, especially across the center channel. The biggest difference you can make in any set-up is with a good quality speaker, and is widely considered to be a priority in any home theater budget. If you need to wait awhile to save up, your patience will be rewarded.
Check this out:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/store.html
You can't buy them in stores, but if you click forums, hearing things, auditioning Axioms in your area, you can find someone who would be more than willing to show them off. They're fantastic speakers at that price point.
There's lots of great speaker companies, so don't jump on the first one that sounds good.
post #14 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

Are these BA's any good? They are about 87 bucks a piece at Amazon also and I can get the speakers and a center without having to get a sub along with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../ref=de_a_smtd

This would be a better deal since the speakers have 4.5 drivers instead of little 3.5 ones.

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

And if you're willing to spend a little more, the RC minis would be an even better purchase.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Afro GT
post #15 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I looked over the Mirage and it's not my style all though small and sleek I don't think they are a fit.

I love the cantons but they will cook my receiver because they are 4 ohm which would put me back into the new receiver camp. I'm pretty sure those would rock too. That kind of sucks because they are just like what I'm looking for!!

The Axioms are probably out due to cost. I'm sure I can get a fair quality speaker for less money. I could save up cash and do it later but this center channel muffled sound is pissing me off and if my financial situation is better later then it will not matter if I spent a bit of money now because I'll be able to afford what ever I want then. I'm just trying to be cautious with money at the moment and fix this situation.

Keep thinking small and sleek with big sound. I'm going to check out the energy's now. I've heard of these also so let me look them up and see what they got.

Keep it coming because you guys are showing me stuff I've never seen before and it's awesome!!
post #16 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

The energy Micro' look pretty good but how do I get the extra speakers for 7.1 and maybe drop the sub?

Any way to do this?
post #17 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
how small do you need your speakers to be? The RC-micros are tiny! For the price, 5 mini's and a sub would blow away the micros.

Have you looked at the Take Classic, substantially less expensive than the Micro setup.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Afro GT
post #18 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:

These looks pretty good. [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]
post #19 of 94 Old 06-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

I would take a look at the A6-5T5 from elementaldesigns.com under their package builder section(or even upgrade to the A6 6T6 for you LCR) I think for a 5.0 system it would only run you about 450 and they would be much better than the bose and have had good reviews from what I have read. You could upgrade your sub as well to something like the A2-300 (which would probably outperform what you have now easily) for 700ish total. If you subract what you could get for your bose on ebay and keep your receiver you are looking at a system waaay better than the bose for only a few hundred dollars. I would also second looking at the SVS speakers and forget the 7.1 setup for now (better 5.1 will easily outperform inferior 7.1 from what I hear, never had both in my own house)
post #20 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 AM

If a small form factor is a high priority you might wanna check out the Hsu Ventriloquist pkg.
post #21 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #22 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Think maybe I have a winner here. Seems like all the requirements add up and the price seems right. Opinions?

How much of a difference would it be to jump to the HD1000? I heard it in the store and I have to say I was impressed. I didn't here the 500's but for the price if they are even close to the same sound I'd be happy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Klipsch HD 500 Compact 5.1 $540.00 at Amazon. After I ebay the bose I should be close to break even but I heard the HD1000 and I wonder how much sound difference there is.
post #23 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Think maybe I have a winner here. Seems like all the requirements add up and the price seems right. Opinions?

How much of a difference would it be to jump to the HD1000? I heard it in the store and I have to say I was impressed. I didn't here the 500's but for the price if they are even close to the same sound I'd be happy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Those are definately going to rock your world.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #24 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Those are definately going to rock your world.

LOL the guy at the hi fi store that showed me the HD1000 package said that the HD 500 would not be an upgrade over my Bose. He seems to think that I should move to the HD 1000 Package.

I'm wondering if that is true at all. Is this guy trying to make a sale on the high price package or is he correct in saying that it would not really be an upgrade?
post #25 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM

I'd like to know what reasoning he used to conclude that the 500 is not an upgrade.

My mom is looking for similar speakers, and I've been eyeing the Paradigm Cinema 70 CT package on Amazon (through 6ave) for her. They're in a similar price range, and I hear a lot of respect for Paradigm's full-size speakers, so I figure these will be better than Bose - which, of course - has been mentioned (shudder).
post #26 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Liked: 11
why is there so much hate for Bose
post #27 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 03:21 PM

See if you can figure out a way to go with the av123 special running right now on the 525 ELT package. $998 for a full 5.1 package including a new MFW-15 sub. Sell your Bose.
post #28 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels07 View Post

why is there so much hate for Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
post #29 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Well, i know you've had a lot thrown at you. But i figured i'd give you my 2 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S9100.../dp/B001AMUFSE
This setup is very well reviewed, i havent had a chance to research the sony receiver you picked up so it may very well be better than the one that comes in this package. That being said, you could potentially get this setup, and sell the receiver and your bose stuff and come out pretty close to even and have a vastly superior setup.

Basically when it comes to HTIB's from the research i did, this setup is the only one thats reccomended as being capable of producing the quality of a pieced together setup.

Keep in mind i am a klipsch owner, i LOVE klipsch, i ended up budgeting more, but i initially was wanting to keep everything in the 1k range, and time and time again this Onkyo setup is one i came across.

Anyways, my two pence ;-).

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #30 of 94 Old 06-09-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Small speakers are a bundle of compromises, usually a wife is involved.

Reminds me of a joke, What did the elephant say to the first man he saw naked?

How do you breath through that?

I could paraphrase that into a speaker joke, but it comes out better that way.

How do you get sound through that? Naw, does not work, but you get the idea.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page