Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2 Series II Review - A Little Different Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 109 Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a non-professional review of the Wilson Audio Specialties Alexandria X-2 series 2 speakers that were just installed at my house. The previous speakers were Infinity IRS Betas of 12 years ago that were modified several times over the years. The foam on the rim of the eight 12 inch woofers recently fell apart so I thought this was my signal to upgrade.

First, the conclusion: I have been in many high end rooms, several CES shows and a host of dealership demos. I demand a lot from my system as I listen almost exclusively to opera. While I most often listen at realistic levels I do occasionally listen at low levels. My wife is strictly a low level person. I feel that my system is the best I have heard at any level and several critics have said it is “better than being there,” if that is possible. Also, as with most speaker systems, you cannot listen to these with the grill in place. They must be removed. Now for the details on how was this achieved.

The remainder of the system was unchanged for the most part. We have the Levinson No. 31 CD deck, the 30.6 DAC and the 320S pre-amp. Threshold SA10/e Stasis 175 watt mono amps drive the speakers.

It started with the delivery of 7 wooden crates off an 18-wheeler. The shipping weight was over 2,000 lbs. After a long 3 weeks Randy Cribb from Audio Advice in Raleigh NC and Peter McGrath from Miami arrived. Peter of course is one of the principals of Wilson Audio and a professional recording engineer. A few days before I uncrated everything. Moving the lower bass units into the house was a 450 lb engineering experience, scary actually. Do not attempt this by yourself.

Three days of assembly, positioning and tuning followed. One thing I learned was that a quarter inch of movement can make a big difference in the sound quality. The room is large, 22 ft wide, 16 feet high and 40 or so feet deep. I have sudo-Tube Traps in the corners behind the speakers whose front grills are about 7 ft from the back wall and 12 feet apart. The walls are block on 2 sides and 2 x 6 walls on the other. The floor is a slab with wall to wall carpet. This is typical Florida stuff.

The remainder of the story is just to show what things make differences in your playback capabilities. Go back to your room and move everything around in 1/4 inch increments. Tilt or straighten things, and certainly change cables.

It was interesting how Peter got the speakers into an optimum position. He also felt that no resistor changes had to be done to compensate for room acoustics. One of the great things about these speakers is that you can change things electrically to better adapt to your room acoustics. This is not possible with most other speakers.

One thing we did was set the speakers up for my listening position. That is about 19 - 20 feet in front of them and I stand up and conduct rather than sit and listen. When I am done “listening” I need a shower. The speakers were aimed to listen at a maximum height of 48 inches at 20 feet. I later tilted them back a fair amount on the adjustable spikes to tune it to 60 inches high. This sounded better.

Another change I made after the “installers” left was to straighten the speakers. They was leaning in towards each other a tiny bit. After straightening them just a tad the soundstage collapsed. I had to put the wheels back on and move them. My wife wanted them a little further back if possible so I did some additional re-tuning while they were back on the wheels. Peter McGrath has a scientific way to do this very rapidly and with great accuracy. They then sounded even better then when originally installed.

Let me again say that one can change the response some by changing the resistors in the back. These also act as fuses so one is less likely to blow a driver. Incidently, I have destroyed many drivers at audio dealerships trying to sell me speakers that can “take” opera at realistic levels. There is nothing more demanding than a few closely miked singers giving it all they got. I have replaced drivers several times in my old Betas. They also fatigue over time and break easier I believe.

Anyway, I was playing a section that was actually painful to our ears and I asked Peter McGrath how much louder they can safely go. He stated at least 6dB more with ease. That was a shocker to me.

Now back to the roller casters and spikes. When I had the speakers in the final position the floor underneath was still a little uneven. I overcorrected knowing that straightening afterwards moved the drivers ever so little to the sidewalls. I listened to the speakers at this slightly overcorrected position before spiking them. It sounded good from a soundstage point but there was no bass. I went ahead and spiked them, still leaning inwards though and still no bass. Then I straightened them up thus moving the upper drivers slightly apart. Boom, the bass was back and better than when on the casters. This makes sense of course. But still, the tilt was barely noticeable and yet the bass went from zero to appropriate.

After all my toying around I clearly had an improvement over that from the original setup by my experts. I widened the soundstage a little (good for my listening style) and may have increased the bass response. This is more of a room thing but it just shows how much you have to experiment. Others who have obtained good systems will tell you it takes a month to get speakers in the absolute best spot in the room. Using Peter’s methodology can knock that down to a few days however.

What is kind of interesting in my room is that anything behind my listening line is a fun spot to listen from. Sure, the sweat spot (a very wide one) is best but a crowd can equally enjoy the music and be wholly impressed.

Let’s talk about cables. I know they make a difference but I was not prepared. These were attended to just after the speakers were originally positioned by the “team.” I had some very good XLR Transparent Audio interconnect cables that were say 8 years old and the speaker cables were MIT shotgun hoses. Thanks to the people from Transparent we had a huge box of cables to audition. First we put in the mid-priced interconnect and speaker cables. I was not prepared. Mud turned to music. Wow. I was very much satisfied with this improvement. Nothing else needed to be done it seemed.

Then there were those other cable boxes and heck we had nothing else to do. But I was not going to spend the greenbacks on the other, higher end Transparent cables, the ones just below the Opus set. So why even plug them in? Just for fun, just to prove they do nothing much else - let’s do it.

Wow again. I could not believe my ears. Needless to say these are still plugged in, they were not returned. I think these are the ones that Peter McGrath actually uses in his system. I only took two steps after dropping in the test Opera CD to notice the huge improvement in sound and then the separation in the soundstage. Performers were pinpoint in location. Bass was tighter. And the system was louder at the same volume setting. How this is possible is beyond me. I have a complete electronic shop and like many think I know it all. This just makes no sense.

Wait, I am not done. We have not talked about power supply. My house is in an areas with buried utility lines. The feeding transformer is very close but does not hum or vibrate. A few years ago the whole area was re-wired throughout the streets. I have 600 amp service lines coming into my house. I built it that way. When I designed the house I put in dedicated 30 amp lines to the amplifier locations. I have several large high end MOVs on the panels for the house and the garage.

Testing my own lines proves them to be clean and modern appliances are generally quiet anyway. But hey, why not do all that can be done? For this department we auditioned the Shunyata Hydra 8 II with an Anaconda cable and Python CX cables were placed on the Threshold amps. Older Diamondback cables were used on the front end items where possible. For a real thrill just get your hands on these highest end of cables.

These made the least difference on MY system. What I got was a tiny bit of improvement in separation and a little bit of background noise reduction. I did not think I had any noise until I heard the reduction. If you can swing it you need these too, especially if you have any internal house noise or even noise from your lines or the neighbors house. I can see how there could be significant improvements in some cases.

Final comments: I have re-discovered older CDs that my wife has been listening to. What I thought were just OK recordings have turned to gold. It seems that even recordings from the 1980s, if done well, can be amazing when played on a system as this one. And if you want to hurt your ears turn up the volume. They play without strain and this is rarely possible for opera.

Measurements: While not entirely scientific I did find some things worth noting. At my listening spot I set up pink noise to a level of 94dB with an analytical mike. This one is 0 - 40kHz and up to 140dB. The speakers ate up 0.5 amps at 2.4 volts. That is 1.2 watts going into the speakers. The efficiency is 97dB according to Peter McGrath. This in part must be why these speakers perform so well. No energy is wasted. It is hard to believe that drivers and speakers so big can run off such a small energy level. It is hard to understand how such a large speaker can play at such a low volume and sound so good and then hurt your eardrums when you turn it up.

Fit and finish: This is first rate. We (the wife) chose the color Topaz with grey grills. With all the shapes and all the parts and fittings that have to be perfectly lined up one can only be amazed by the QC. The tools supplied and the jack to lift the speakers for spiking are first rate. The instructions for assembly are well written but a word to the wise. Do not try to assemble these by yourself. Overtightening will break things and the weight of parts is daunting. There were no mishaps at this location but I see the potential for problems.

High efficiency, the best of sound, highly adjustable to YOUR environment and durable, why buy anything else.

aehaas
Sarasota, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

My "team" was too busy to come and set me up for 3 weeks after the delivery of the parts boxes. So I endured a blocked car and a lot of anticipation. And there is no way you can move the 500 lb base unit boxes by yourself, even with a heavy duty dolly:

LL
post #3 of 109 Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Thanks for posting. Nice system. Interesting experience about cables. Doesn't change my mind about it, but interesting.
What's the yellow car?

post #4 of 109 Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the review and posting the photos of the crated Wilson's. The yellow auto caught my eye too. I am sure a car buff, which I'm not, can clarify the maker in a second. Do you have any photos of the complete setup? A thought might be to move this to the 20K area on AVS.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #5 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

The yellow auto caught my eye too. I am sure a car buff, which I'm not, can clarify the maker in a second.

Looks like a Ferrari Enzo to me.

post #6 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the same house!

post #7 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Moving the 450 lb base units into the house was not an easy task at all. The upper "wing" bases that hold the midrange and tweeter modules weighs in at around 50 lbs. You can see my "home brew" Tube Traps:

The dark blue car behind the crates in the garage is the Bentley GTC.

aehaas
post #8 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

aehaas
post #9 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The speakers are on wheels? To be replaced with spikes when correctly positioned?

Upgrading the RPTV to plasma anytime soon? :-)

post #10 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 595
It's good to be the king

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #11 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

As seen below the casters are ball bearing and on what is probably 5/8 inch bolts. There are numerous tools and accessories, some here including the 1,000 lb jack.

We are not movie people but will certainly update when the RPTV starts acting up:

aehaas
post #12 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Then there is the car to the left of the crates in the picture in the garage:

post #13 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
"Close-miked" and "realistic" are, unfortunately, mutually exclusive in opera. And great houses don't have pinpoint imaging -- they do have vast soundstages though.

Glad you're enjoying your purchase, though.
post #14 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Holy mother of all that's holy. I clicked in to this thread to read about the Wilson's, then I see the Ferrari and Bentley! OK, I'm officially jealous and envious - but good for you! Always nice to see someone with the "toys" the rest of us dream of. BTW, what kind of car is up on the lift? Do I even want to know...:>
post #15 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

BTW, what kind of car is up on the lift? Do I even want to know...:>

Its the Bentley?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #16 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gotta love the exotic cable commentary....its longer then the speaker discussion.

post #17 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting thread. I have always tried to have the things I want as well as the things my family wants. I have felt good about my personal achievements and everything in my life, but after this thread I have this strange urge to crush an empty beer can on my head.

'It's not what you don't know that hurts you; It's what you know, that just ain't so.'
post #18 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by headedforhighend View Post

Interesting thread. I have always tried to have the things I want as well as the things my family wants. I have felt good about my personal achievements and everything in my life, but after this thread I have this strange urge to crush an empty beer can on my head.

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #19 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Heh got a little laugh out of this

[HT]

Energy RC-70 Rosenut
Energy RC-LCR Rosenut
Energy Veritas 1.0CM
SVS PC12-NSD
Pioneer SC-1522-K

[Desktop]

Emotiva Airmotiv 4

Sennheiser HD555 modded

Pics of my setup

post #20 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aehaas View Post

Then there is the car to the left of the crates in the picture in the garage:

Gotta ask.. Is that smiley face where the rear exhaust exits an upgrade or just an optical illusion on my part?

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #21 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

lmao, that is damn funny!!!

Sweet life but its the RPTV that kills me

post #22 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

lmao, that is damn funny!!!

Sweet life but its the RPTV that kills me

OP states he may eventually upgrade but not into movies......... Actually Cinermax who lives in the Sunshine State would be a great resource if he ever wanted to get into HT.... I am sure Penn you would do some consulting work on the side too.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #23 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

"Is that smiley face where the rear exhaust exits an upgrade or just an optical illusion on my part? "

'Illusion:

Last clue:

OK, back on topic. Here we are at work following the directions of Peter McGrath. He just stood there watching us work, directing us, with a smile I might add.

aehaas
post #24 of 109 Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I knew it was a Maybach from the first pic of the garage. The signal light on the side view mirror gave it away
post #25 of 109 Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

One more of the Giallo car:

And the final product with Peter McGrath from Wilson Audio on the left and Randy Cribb from Audio Advice in Raleigh, NC in the middle:

aehaas
post #26 of 109 Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the Bentley from below:

And here is the music room with the old Betas and before we faced the built-in's trim:

aehaas
post #27 of 109 Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Alexandria's, Bentley's, Ferrari's, Maybach's.... oh my!

To say this thread delivers would be an understatement.
post #28 of 109 Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Here is my queen with our 1st (regular) Maybach as apposed to our current 57s AMG version. She has the Bentley and the Murcielago, her favorite car. It now has over 9,000 original miles since she got it new in 2004:

This is my listening position. Here we see the speakers in their original location before I moved them around a little. Note that I stand while I listen, so I can conduct:

aehaas
post #29 of 109 Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
*jaw drops*

im in Tampa. ill drive to you and wash all your cars for free!

2.0 > 7.1
post #30 of 109 Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And here is the music room with the old Betas and before we faced the built-in's trim:

That is a cool idea for my next house, thanks

That RPTV still kills me....... you need a drop down 120" screen and some uber front projection system.....what about subs???

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page