would Klipsch "B-Stock" be ok for starter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi,

i am a strater trying to put HT together at $1.5K. I just have TV and TV stand. I don't have to have 7.1 or 5.1 right now. I rather start with good foundation which I can add pieces as I go instead of "upgrading". Per reading this forum, I decided to pick speakers first.

Here's my question. I saw "B-stock" Klipsch RF-83 from wwstereo.com site. Price seems less than half of MSRP, and the site seems reputable. What do you think of it? Any concern with "B-stock" ? The site says, "B Stock items are guaranteed to be in perfect working order unless otherwise noted in the description". Have you guys had experience with B-stock for mthe site?

Thank you.

PS. Also can you please suggest other ideas for speakers and receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Make sure they are an authorized dealer - otherwise you have no Klipsch warranty should anything be amiss with them. Other than that - "B" stock is just something someone took home - only to find it wasn't for them and decided to return them. Look them over good if/when you get them and make sure they have a return policy.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I found following from wwstereo, "All of World Wide Stereo's B-Stock products come to us directly from the manufacturer and carry the full manufacturer's warranty (same as A-Stock). Products are inspected and approved, labeled B-Stock by the manufacturer, and shipped to us. We do not open the product or know each product's backstory. Our B-Stock products are guaranteed to have NO cosmetic or technical defects and contain all original accessories. All B-Stock products are also covered by our regular 30-day return policy.

We are currently the only authorized dealer to carry B-Stock Klipsch products online."

Is 50% off from MSRP for B-stock RF-83 good deal?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
wwstereo is an authorized Klipsch dealer. The B-stock are basically speakers that are in perfect working condition but may have cosmetic blemishes, etc. I.e. lets say a customer bought a set, decided they didnt like them and returned them to the store, those can't be sold as "new" anymore, so they're sold as B stock at a reduced price.

As for wwstereo, they are very good guys, but their website is misleading, they list a lot of speakers as b-stock but they say nothing about availability. I was going to purchase my setup from them but they had no b stock in stock and weren't sure when they were going to have any, which is understandable, but frustrating.

As for RF-83's, they are fantastic speakers, but you *will* need a beefy amp to power them properly. The other issue is you want your front l/c/r to match, so that means you're going to have to look at minimum at a rf-62 center, preferrably an RF-64, which is a $1000 center channel.

Frankly $1.5k isnt going to come close to getting you a setup built around rf-83's.

I would look at something similar to mine if you want Klipsch. RF-62's left and right with an RC-62 center channel. They are not so powerful of speakers that they can't be driven by a decent $500-800 AVR.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I have purchased a couple of items from B stock...I cannot tell the diffrence between new and B

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestion.
RF-83 may be too big of fish at $1.5K.
BTW, it center essential for HT? I was hoping that nice set of L/R speakers would compensate lack of center somewhat. And I wasn't going over $500 for receiver.

I guess I got to search more. another important thing for me is WAF WAF....
post #7 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

A center channel is absolutely 100% essential for a HT setup, i dont remember the exact statistics but the center channel does something like 70% of the work in a movie audio track.

With your current budget, if you can get your hands on a pair of RF-82's as b stock, id go with that and an rc-62 center to start with, depending on the b stock price that should put you around your $1500 goal. From there you can start saving up for some rs-52's or 62's for surrounds.

Also, what manner of WAF are you dealing with? Is it size? Finish? # of speakers, etc?

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

A center channel is absolutely 100% essential for a HT setup, i dont remember the exact statistics but the center channel does something like 70% of the work in a movie audio track.

With your current budget, if you can get your hands on a pair of RF-82's as b stock, id go with that and an rc-62 center to start with, depending on the b stock price that should put you around your $1500 goal. From there you can start saving up for some rs-52's or 62's for surrounds.

Also, what manner of WAF are you dealing with? Is it size? Finish? # of speakers, etc?

Not necessary WAF is related with size (as I understand today). Finish would be definitely important as she did not like IKEA funiture (being fake wood). She cares less about 5.1/7.1. and does not like to see wires running around...
post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Well the finish on Klipsch, if you get the black, is very subdued. It is a woodgrain, but you have to get very close to it to see it. Otherwise its kind of a semi glossy black. So i doubt you'll have an issue there. Wire runs are going to be an interesting issue depending on your room layout. What i would do is show her some pics of the new Reference series and see what she thinks.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

Well the finish on Klipsch, if you get the black, is very subdued. It is a woodgrain, but you have to get very close to it to see it. Otherwise its kind of a semi glossy black. So i doubt you'll have an issue there. Wire runs are going to be an interesting issue depending on your room layout. What i would do is show her some pics of the new Reference series and see what she thinks.

Thank you for info. I may visit local BB magnolia to take a look on Klipsch lines. It seems that you have Energy speakers in your setup. What do you think of Energy RC 70 or 50 compared to Klipsch RF 82 or 62? Are they in same class? Vanns and WWstereo have sale on them as well as Klipsch RF's
post #11 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

I havent personally heard the RC50/RC70 towers so i cant say. Judging by the quality of the C-100s, especially considering the price, i can't possibly imagine how either of those 2 energy towers could be at all dissapointing.

As for Klipsch, its a sound that people tend to love or hate. Although from what i've read the newest reference series (the ones i have) are a lot more neutral and less harsh than previous Klipsch speakers.

Personally as long as they are not fatiguing to you, there are some great advantages to a horn loaded speaker. Efficiency being one. The other thing people tend to notice is that the midrange and highs are very detailed and kind of "in your face".

I definitely don't think they are the type of speaker for someone who is more interested in a laid back, passive kind of sound.

The energy, from what i have read and experienced with my own speakers are a very neutral speaker, they aren't overly bright or warm or anything like that, this can be a good or bad thing. To people who are used to a certain type of sound, the speakers can lack character. But i think once you get past that and enjoy the nuetrality, you will probably be very pleased.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page