Speakers loaded into my Amazon cart, ready to pull the trigger, Good choices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
**EDITED for advice on a possible deal 7/2/09**
So I decided to go with the JBL L series. I was looking on craigslist this week for the speakers used and found an ad for a pair of JBL ND310II's. They are being sold by the original owner that claims that they are in mint condition. The seller says that the woofers were recently replaced because his kid pushed dents into them one day lol. He said in email that "the replacement woofers are factory delivered and installed by a JBL technician. They are not reconditioned." Anyway he says he wants $250 for the pair and is selling them because he is moving out of state and wants to downsize for the move. He also said "They are wrapped in brand new moving blankets and then shrink wrapped and placed in my storage garage."

Stock photo from JBL's website

So, a couple questions:
I know the Northridge series JBL ND310ii is an older model (around 2000 I think), but are they still good speakers? It is hard to ignore that these are only $250 and the L890's new are $800.

Are the L890's $550 better? (sound wise)

Would it be ok to mix these towers with the L830/L810's for surrounds and the LC1 for center? I've heard that mixing series or brands can be bad, but is it really a huge deal?

From what I've read these towers are a little less sharp then the L890's but again the savings are hard to ignore.

Comments? Advice? I was thinking that these towers used for 2.1 music and parties would rock pretty hard since there would be 4 10" woofers in the towers and I have the Klipsch Synergy 12" powered subwoofer. I really want to move some air! I'm kind of in a time crunch because I might pick these up tomorrow or Sat so I appreciate any advice. Thanks again for the help in advance!

-Jason

Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's the scoop.

I've had an old pioneer AV receiver running a 5.1 Bose Acoustimass 6 version II nonpowered sub for about 8 years now. This system always did well for us as I was in the military and moved around a lot and always had small living rooms. We purchased our first house a few years ago and upgraded to a 60" Sony KDS-R60XBR2. The new living room is much bigger and an odd shape with half vaulted ceilings and the Bose have been "lacking" ever since. (See quickly sketched pic below) So I bought a Klipsch Synergy SUB-12 for our Halloween party last year hoping it would help fill in a bit. Well the sub sounds great but the bose are still not getting the job done. I bought an Onkyo TX-SR 607 receiver last week to address the problem of no HDMI inputs in the Pioneer receiver. The receiver is very nice, but again shows how bad the bose are. SO.... I was looking at replacing the bose with the JBL L series creating a 7.2 system for both movies and music. Here's are a few scenarios I have been looking at. Keeping in mind that I will be using the Onkyo's "High fronts" to create the 7.2 as having speakers on the middle really doesn't work because of the walkway entrance from the front door.

I think I'm going to go with the JBL L series. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the LC2 for the center, and I already have the Klipsch 12" sub so I'm just going to pair that with another one. But I'm not 100% about the fronts and rears.

I've been looking at these:
JBL L890's floorstanding towers
JBL L820's
JBL L810's
JBL L830's

Keep in mind that for parties I want to be able to run a 2.2 which is why I was leaning towards the L890's but if the smaller book shelf speakers will give me great sound I'd be fine with going smaller for all 6 speakers. Having really great sound for music is very important to me. For movies I will be running the full 7.2 and I want to literally feel the shock wave when Tony Stark releases the Jericho missile into the mountains! lol

Examples of possible combination:

Scenario 1:
6X JBL L820's (FR/RL, HFR/HFR, RL/RR)
JBL LC2 for the center
2X Klipsch Synergy Sub-12

Scenario 2:
2X JBL L890 towers(FR/FL)
4X JBL L820's (HFR/HFL & RL/RR)
JBL LC2 for the center

Here is the quick sketch of the living room. Currently the bose sat's are FR/FL on the table with the 60" and the rears are behind the sectional (little black dots lol)

ANY input would be greatly appreciated before I shell out $2K plus. I DO NOT want to be disappointed.

-Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Have you listened to them?

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

^Listening to them is not going to be easy. I literally live in the middle of nowhere in the high desert of CA. I'm kinda shopping of the recommendations of what I've read on the forums and reviews from various websites. Remember that I am coming from 8 years with a Bose Acoustimass 6 version II so most anything will sound great in comparison.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
You could go the ID (internet direct) route. Usually get more bang for your buck, no middleman. I have Aperions. Free shipping and in home 30 day trial. http://www.aperionaudio.com/home.aspx

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-22-2009, 04:04 PM

av123 is running a great deal right now. Details copied below.....

For $998 dollars you can now buy The Ultimate Expression In Staycation Enjoyment
How about this system (in Cherry Only)…

One Pair ELT525 Towers
One Pair ELT 525 Monitors
ONE ELT 525 Center
And
One MFW-15 in Cherry Rosa Satin
(a perfect match for these ELT’s)…

I'm sure you could get that up to 7.1 for under $1200.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The L series are good choices, and were even better when HarmonAudio was practically giving them away on their Ebay store. Check NewEgg as they now carry some of the L series. I say 820's and dual subs. LF is better off with 12" drivers than 6 or 8". No need for the added cost of the cabinet material either.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CICreations View Post

Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's the scoop.

I've had an old pioneer AV receiver running a 5.1 Bose Acoustimass 6 version II nonpowered sub for about 8 years now. This system always did well for us as I was in the military and moved around a lot and always had small living rooms. We purchased our first house a few years ago and upgraded to a 60" Sony KDS-R60XBR2. The new living room is much bigger and an odd shape with half vaulted ceilings and the Bose have been "lacking" ever since. (See quickly sketched pic below) So I bought a Klipsch Synergy SUB-12 for our Halloween party last year hoping it would help fill in a bit. Well the sub sounds great but the bose are still not getting the job done. I bought an Onkyo TX-SR 607 receiver last week to address the problem of no HDMI inputs in the Pioneer receiver. The receiver is very nice, but again shows how bad the bose are. SO.... I was looking at replacing the bose with the JBL L series creating a 7.2 system for both movies and music. Here's are a few scenarios I have been looking at. Keeping in mind that I will be using the Onkyo's "High fronts" to create the 7.2 as having speakers on the middle really doesn't work because of the walkway entrance from the front door.

I think I'm going to go with the JBL L series. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the LC2 for the center, and I already have the Klipsch 12" sub so I'm just going to pair that with another one. But I'm not 100% about the fronts and rears.

I've been looking at these:
JBL L890's floorstanding towers
JBL L820's
JBL L810's
JBL L830's

Keep in mind that for parties I want to be able to run a 2.2 which is why I was leaning towards the L890's but if the smaller book shelf speakers will give me great sound I'd be fine with going smaller for all 6 speakers. Having really great sound for music is very important to me. For movies I will be running the full 7.2 and I want to literally feel the shock wave when Tony Stark releases the Jericho missile into the mountains! lol

Examples of possible combination:

Scenario 1:
6X JBL L820's (FR/RL, HFR/HFR, RL/RR)
JBL LC2 for the center

Scenario 2:
2X JBL L890 towers(FR/FL)
4X JBL L820's (HFR/HFL & RL/RR)
JBL LC2 for the center

Here is the quick sketch of the living room. Currently the bose sat's are FR/FL on the table with the 60" and the rears are behind the sectional (little black dots lol)

ANY input would be greatly appreciated before I shell out $2K plus. I DO NOT want to be disappointed.

-Jason

Your seating isn't setup right to make use of 7.1, you need a few feet of space between the back of your couch and where the speakers will be.

Option 2 will provide better music performance, option 1 could potentialy be better for HT if all speakers are mounted properly.

edit: for option 1, it would be better to use LC2s for your L/C/R
Old 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Buying speakers sight unseen (or unheard) is always a risky proposition.
However, we're talking about JBL and, IMHO, they make great speakers at ANY price point.

I'm a tower guy myself so I'd go with the 890s. But if you go with bookshelves go with the 820s.
As far as surrounds, I'd go with the 810s. I think the 820s would be 'wasted' as surrounds.

Good luck.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM

It looks like you've done quite a bit of research already. I doubt you'll be disappointed, seems like you have your head on straight. [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]
Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

So L890's for the fronts, LC2 for the center, L810's for the rears, and the 2 Kilpsch 12" subs. Does this sound like a good setup for music and HD movie viewing?

What would be the better choice for the high fronts for the full 7.2? L810's, L820's, or L830's?

As far as those other brands I will definitely give them a look. I was looking at the Polk and Klipsch setups for a while before moving over to the JBL's. I was almost certain I was going to go with the Klipsch Synergy setup but I found that I didn't like the styling after I looked at them for a while. The Polks were nice, but I found myself looking at the more expensive ones and my price point was going to high. If this were my only hobby I would go all out, but unfortunately I have a nasty import tuner hobby that also demands my financial attention lol. Anyway the JBL L Series caught my eye because of their styling, and the fact that I've never really heard bad things about them from anyone. I have coworkers that have JBL's that are quite old now and they said they're regarded as collector's speakers for their quality.

Please don't hold back any advice....I greatly appreciate all of it!

-Jason
Old 07-02-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Please check out the edit at the top of my original post!

Again thanks for any comments or advice!

-Jason
Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
CICreations -- Even though I really like Klipsch (and the higher end JBL) speakers, I would not use their subs (way to high priced for what you get). Go with an ID sub (I would prefer SVS PB13-Ultra or PC13-Ultra, but they have other lesser/cheaper models and subs from other ID companies are good too). Read up on the Sub-Woofer threads -- there are lots of good choices.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

CICreations -- Even though I really like Klipsch (and the higher end JBL) speakers, I would not use their subs (way to high priced for what you get). Go with an ID sub (I would prefer SVS PB13-Ultra or PC13-Ultra, but they have other lesser/cheaper models and subs from other ID companies are good too). Read up on the Sub-Woofer threads -- there are lots of good choices.

AHHHH, I've already got the sub lol. right now I need to know about the JBL ND310II towers! Are they worth buying in really good condition for $250? I might go pick these up tomorrow!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Found this old post, did you purchase those speakers? I have a similar situation for a complete JBL set and am wondering if it is worth the savings for an old set of speakers??