Need help choosing my speakers: low budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
need some help here. Been on all day trying to find the system I want.
I originally looked at the htib's but decided against it to get better speakers for better quality and clarity. So after looking through hundreds of subs and speakers (haven't even started with the receivers) I have no idea what is good for the price and what is over priced.

The energy take 5.0 was what I originally looked at and seemed very good, but not compared to other speakers.
I've also looked at the "Polk Audio RM75 Home Theater Speaker System" which I assume is pretty damn good for 300 bucks ( obviously not compared to more high end speakers of course)
---$300 is close to my max, but am open to any smart suggestions.
i'm thinking satellite is the way to go~~

I'm setting up in my bed room ( good sized room; pretty average) and want something about the same size as the above speakers. I plan on having my ps3 connected to it and that's about it; except maybe my computer (not important)

again, I'm open to any suggestions including different sizes and styles.

I'm also looking for the sub to best go with my speakers and eventually the receiver; just focusing on the speakers first. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

""www.crutchfield.com/p_107RM75B/Polk-Audio-RM75-Home-Theater-Speaker-System.html?tp=184&tab=other_items""

""www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542890837/energy-take-5-0""

thanks for the help
avs community is top notch!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
IMO the Energy Take 5.0 with the s10.3 sub thats $400 on vanns.com is one of the best deals going right now.

The problem with these small speakers like those energies and the polks you linked is that you absolutely NEED a good sub to go with them. The reason is those little satellites do fine at producing midrange frequencies, but cant produce lower frequencies. Those polks for example go down to 130hz.

The take classic's on the other hand go down to 115hz. Not a huge difference, but it allows you to set your crossover at something like 120hz in your receiver. I personally can't speak with 100% surety, but 120hz is the highest crossover i've seen for a sub in a receiver.

The s10.3 sub is really a nice sub for the price, to get something arguably better you'd have to jump up another $125-250 over and above that for something like an ed A2-300 or a HSU or SVS sub, etc.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page