Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 versus 9.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
As a satisfied owner of the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, I decided to check out the recently launched 10.1. They sounded really good to my ears with solid improvements in transparency and tonal texture. However, I noticed one flaw the rear bass ports and improper positioning with respect to the rear wall might have something to do with this. But bass wasn't 100% tight and definitely not neutral. Also the timing seemed a bit off, especially with the bass notes and transients weren't 100% natural my AKG K701 has jaw-dropping timing and my expectations were pretty high. So I was a little disappointed, considering the fact that the Diamond 9.1 seemed to have better timing and more neutral bass. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 PM

Also a 9.1 fan, I was hyped when I found out they had launched a new range so last week I checked out the 10.1's with the intention of purchasing them.

There's only one place to get wharfedales in south africa and they're completely useless, though because they know nothing they sell the speakers for close to nothing. I found out from an equally useless sales assistant that the speakers were priced according to wattage.Anyway...

That timing issue is always a problem with rear ported speakers near a wall, most people don't notice it but if you do it's painfully annoying, especially with rock. When listening to my 9.1's at home I always felt the tweater was crossed to low, 2.2 or something, I feel it's always getting dominated, that or my hearing is finally dying. I checked the 10.1 out and it crossed at 1.8kHz, deffinately not to my personal taste.

Back to my purchase, the 10's looked nice-ish but i was still in love with the 9's. The 9.1's were always cheap here, around $150 and when I was there they were discounted by 40%, the new 'black wood' veneer had also just arrived, seemed like a good enough excuse so I ended up buying 2 pairs of 9.1's instead of a single pair of 10.1's.

Differences on the 10's

*A magnetic wooden grill rather than the plastic on 9.1
*Gloss black 'composite' baffle, hope that's not another name for plastic
*Ribbed surround in diamond pattern
*Larger chromed metal cnc'd driver surround, looks like it!
*Center plug is now matt black
*Driver chassis is molded out of something funny

Wharfedale are going on about some new 4 layer construction, from what i can see it is the usual mdf now covered in two coats of deadening paint, only 1 on my diamond 9's, and the final layer must be the veneer.

I've attached some images of the inside of my Diamond 9.5, the port fell out so it was a good excuse to dig arround. Good view of the cast-driver and deadening.

Damn, it seems I need to post my images on a site first.

Till then does anyone own any diamond 10's?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 AM

In the image you can see the cast driver and the sound deadening paint I was talking about.

The drivers are in seperate enclosures, that's why they sound so different from the bookshelfs, the midbass is sealed rather than ported.

Attachment 146582
LL
post #4 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm surprised that any of your were even able to find Wharfedale Series 10 to listen to.

I frequent a UK forum, and the very first Diamond 10's (10.1) are just appearing on various websites.

For those who would like to have a look as some photos, or maybe down load the Diamond 10 brochure, you can find links in this discussion thread -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speak...10-series.html

In the new Diamond 10 series, the 10.6 is actually the old 9.5 and the new 10.7 replaces the old 9.6. I'm somewhat disappointed that the new 10.7 use 165mm (6.5") woofers instead of the 200mm (8") woofers of the 9.6 version. But the specs on the 10.7 still look good.

In the low end of the Diamond towers -

Diamond 10.3 is a 2-way using a 125mm (5") woofer and a 25mm (1") dome tweeter

Diamond 10.4 is a 2-way somewhat similar to the old 9.5 but with two 125mm woofer and a 25mm dome tweeter

Diamond 10.5 is a 3-way with 165mm woofer, 50mm dome midrange, and 25mm dome tweeter

Diamond 10.6 is 2-way nearly identical to the old 9.5 with two 165mm woofer and a 25mmm dome tweeter

Diamond 10.7 is closest to the 9.6, and is a 3-way with two 165mm woofers, one 50mm dome midrange and a 25mm done tweeter.

Here is a link to a Wharfedale Diamond 10 brochure, though I am having trouble getting it to load at the moment -

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/downloads/en/DIA_10-low.pdf

The one draw back to the series in my opinion, is that first, the price went up. The Diamond '9' used to be an outstanding bargain. For example, in the UK the standard selling price for 9.1 was in the range of £125 to £130, the new 10.1 are £199, which makes them not such a great bargain.

Steve/bluewizard
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Of the new speakers, I find the 10.5 6.5" 3-way the most interesting.

I've always been fond of 3-way speakers. They just seem right to me. Back in the good old days nearly every speaker was a 3-way, and more so, 3-ways with 10", 12", and 15" woofers. No so today, mostly 2-way with rarely larger than an 8" woofer.

I suspect the 10.5 will make an excellent front speaker for surround sound, and should do a first rate job for stereo listening.

The frequency specs on the 10.5 indicate 35hz to 24khz.

Also, not overwhelmingly imposing dimensions - (HxWxD) 850mm x 223mm x 301 (33.5" x 8.8" x 11.9")

Again, of all the new series 10 speakers, this one looks the most interesting.

If anyone come across any reviews or places to buy the Wharfedale Diamond 10's, please post links.

Steve/bluewizard
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2009, 01:39 PM

If anyone is remotely interested, the Diamond 10 PDF brochure is now at this address -

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Portals/...d_10_RANGE.pdf

I'm guessing that the new Diamond 10's are actually in short supply. There are only a few places in the UK selling the Diamond 10.1 but none of the other models are available.

Steve/bluewizard
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

With the What Hifi review of the Diamond 10.1, are more people buying it?

Has anybody found out the optimum position for these speakers and got good tight bass out of them?

I found them to be a nice upgrade over the 9.1 in terms of transparency, but the bass was loose and boomy.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2009, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
hey guys,

could any of you tell me what the big difference would be between the Wharfedale Diamond 8 vs. 9 series??

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page