Help: which 7.1 surround sound speaker system to purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For starters, I am building a 7.1 home theater system that will be used pretty much equally for music, movies/television shows, and games. I will be running the system through a Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K, and the room is a medium sized living room / home theater area.

My Main concern is quality and performance, not necessarily style, just FYI.

I have a few questions:

1. I am considering a few setups, and am wondering which would be best suited to fulfill my needs I've described above.

Build A:
Front: 2x Energy C-500
Center: Energy C-C100
Sides: 2x Energy C-R100
Rear: 2x Energy C-200
Sub: Energy ESW-V8

Build B:
Front: 2x Energy Take TWR
Center: Energy Take FPS
Sides: 2x Energy Take TWR
Rear: 2x Energy Take TWR

Build C:
Center: Energy Take TWR
Sides: 2x Energy Take TWR
Rear: 2x Energy Take TWR

Build D:
Center: Energy Take FPS
Sides: 2x Energy Take FPS
Rear: 2x Energy Take FPS

So, I'm trying to get some input on whether any of these systems is better than the others, or what I can do to improve them.

I know build B may seem kind of strange, but I've found a deal to get Energy Take TWRs for cheaper than Take FPS or C-500, so I'm really considering just getting a bunch of them, even if they may be overkill for rear and surrounds.

I also know Build C seems even weirder, but believe it or not, at the 150 price I found the Take TWR, it would be on of the cheapest set ups out of the builds I've described above. Let me know how a Take TWR would perform in all of those different roles.

2. If you could weigh in on whether the pioneer receiver will be good for this system, or if you have other, better value ideas.

3. Would you consider an Energy C-500 or an Energy Take TWR to be a higher quality speaker, because that will likely influence which direction I take.

4. I also wouldn't be against putting to use Energy Take SAT's because I have found quite a good deal on those as well, would they fit well into this system.

5. Do you think a Polk TSi500 for $270 or a Energy C-500 for $220 is a better value? Part of me is still considering grabbing a pair of the Polks for fronts.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know there are so many questions here, so just answer whichever ones you can, and eventually they will all get covered.

Thank you all,
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
first off, whatever you do, keep the front 3 speakers in the same series from the same manufacturer.

if you "need" tall thin tower speakers, the TWR's are nice. But four 4.5" elliptical mid/woofer speakers against two 6.5" full size mid/woofer speakers - I would lean towards the C-500. Also the C-500 has a lower suggested crossover point, another effect of the larger speakers. So I would suggest Option "A" ---but with a larger, say 10" subwoofer.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page