Speaker Spacing for 7.1 Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for help with speaker placement for a 7.1 setup. I have an Integra 8.9 receiver with an Elite 60" plasma and bought B&W speakers - 805SR / HTM4SR for the front / center speakers and CCM80 and CCM818 for the middle and back ceiling mount speakers. The "rule of thumb" is the front speakers should be as wide as the lenth from the TV to your seating area. How do you determine were to mount the middle and back sepakers for 7.1? My room is 25' by 14.5' and I am 12' from the TV. Any recommendations? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by du_want_2 View Post

Looking for help with speaker placement for a 7.1 setup. I have an Integra 8.9 receiver with an Elite 60" plasma and bought B&W speakers - 805SR / HTM4SR for the front / center speakers and CCM80 and CCM818 for the middle and back ceiling mount speakers. The "rule of thumb" is the front speakers should be as wide as the lenth from the TV to your seating area. How do you determine were to mount the middle and back sepakers for 7.1? My room is 25' by 14.5' and I am 12' from the TV. Any recommendations? Thanks!!!

I used the Dolby guidelines when I set up my 7.1 configuration: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...ide/index.html

They've updated their site since I last used it, and it appears you can now input your viewing distance.

Both my side surrounds and rear surrounds are ceiling mounted (suspended from the ceiling). I located them according to the Dolby guidelines, and positioned their mounting so they are angeled downward, toward the listening area.

Bruce
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by du_want_2 View Post

How do you determine were to mount the middle and back sepakers for 7.1?

I would follow the recommendations in the link that Bruce provided. My side speakers are at 90 degrees (directly to the sides of my couch) and my rear speakers are spread roughly 60 degrees apart on the back wall.

Surround sound is meant to be heard from all around you, not just above. When using in-ceiling speakers, it helps to spread them well away from the listening area. This way, they sound like they're high up on the rear and side walls rather than overhead. Should give you distinct left vs right vs back directionality in the surround field. If your speakers have pointable drivers, remember to aim them towards the listening area.

Sanjay
post #4 of 4 Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bruce and Sanjay, I've taken a look at the Dolby site and it is very helpful. That was the tip I was looking for, thanks again - Shaun
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page