> B&W - New 600 line vs. Old 600 line (vs. ???)
After assembling a decent entry setup I'm already hankering to upgrade to a more respectable level :P I listen to 70% Movies, 30% indie music in a 30 sq. ft living room. Currently I've got:
- Athena F1 Mains
- Athena B1 Surrounds & Rears
- Athena C1 Center
- SVS 20-39 PCi sub
- All powered by a new Denon 1909/789
The Denon and sub are staying, but I want better speakers. I've already auditioned and softly settled on B&W. Because...
- I like their sound (but remain a little unnerved with how their laid back nature will handle pop/rock/aggressive music)
- They're used at Abbey Road and Skywalker Sound which is (was? http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...ead&keyw&zzpmc ) encouraging.
- I have a decent sub, so any lacking low-end doesn't bother me.
My question, and something I can't easily audition, is if the new B&W 68_ line has enough improvements over the B&W 60_ S2 & S3 lines that I should focus on pursuing one over the other?
The 60_ S2/S3 lines benefit from being around longer and have an astounding amount of high ratings on audioreview. However, the new 68_ line doesn't have nearly the same
of reviews, but they do benefit from new design and evolving technology (the FST kevlar's supposed to noticeably improve things).
Being softly settled on B&W, if there's other recommendations that match B&W's musical, detailed sound and are decent with movies, I'd welcome those as well. Though, there'd have to be corroborating reviews online as they may be hard to find and audition.
For the best value I'm only shopping 2nd hand (craigslist, ebay, audio/videogon) and can be patient for the rare, really