post #271 of 776 Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda View Post

I'll post my impressions for sure but I'm already thinking about adding more subs as I've only got the one SubMersive. The room is very small at 13' x 18' though so perhaps I don't NEED more woofage. We'll see.

Chris

paraphrasing dick armey...

"i have all the subs i need, but not all the subs i want"...

of course you NEED another submersive...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 776 Old 05-21-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

paraphrasing dick armey...

"i have all the subs i need, but not all the subs i want"...

of course you NEED another submersive...

I was thinking of another TWO! I've been following Craigjohn's posts where he now has 3 SubMersives working in concert with apparently stunning results. I'm very tempted. I'm sure it would be way overkill but most of us like that idea.

Chris
post #273 of 776 Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

between 3 submersives and the cats, there won't be any room for you to sit in there...

overkill is never enough...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #274 of 776 Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, I've lived with the new Red Cherry Catalysts for a while now, listening to a fairly wide variety of source material such as 5.1 BD concert videos, MC SACD's, standard CD stereo (2.0 and 2.1 used), BD films and even AIFF downloads from my iphone.

First, let me say the build quality of the veneered Catalysts is beyond reproach. This was not surprising as I already owned a SubMersive and a pair of Sparks but those are not veneered which requires a whole different standard to "get it right." Mark puts a great deal of effort into the finishing process including restrictions against using non-volatiles. Believe me, this may sound easy but it is not. FWIW, I make my living dealing in very high-end American antique furniture so my comments here are not casual or uninformed. I'm an accomplished conservator/cabinetmaker so I've seen it all. There are no shortcuts here; they are the real deal. The large chamfered edges (which helps with diffraction problems) also transform the looks from a "plain rectangular box" into something beautiful, especially with the very slick magnetic grilles attached. Yes, these speakers are large but not the least bit awkward IMO.

Now onto the really important stuff...The Sound!

I have not found these speakers to be the least bit bright, harsh, warm or tubby. Even at reference levels they are not fatiguing at all. What they do present is what I will call a "Full" sound. What do I mean by that? The Cats seem to present every last ounce of detail possible, in ALL frequencies except those beyond their intended use (below 55hz). While I dislike admitting to the old cliche, I did in fact hear things in recordings I had not noticed before. Example: In Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" there is a loud passage toward the end of the recording (AIFF ipod btw!) where lots is going on at once and I could hear soft harmonic vocalizations emerge just after the crescendo. That was news to me and I've heard that song many dozens of times. A number of Queen songs from "A Night at the Opera" were good test cases for critical listening with the Cats as they feature all sorts of gimmicks to showcase things like dispersion and separation.

My first love is music so I put the Cats through their paces with some pretty diverse material. The Beatles monaural set I picked up last year was surprisingly interesting. I've been a huge Beatles fan since before their breakup so again, I know the material. The "fake stereo" mixes are tiresome at this point but the remastered Mono? Wow. Clarity was a big strong suit for the Sparks but the Cats take it to a whole different plane. Paul and John's voices are stupendously clear and very immediate. If you close your eyes you would swear you were in the studio with the band. Everything is right there. Nothing weird, colored or fake about it at all. With many recordings (at least any fine/well mastered ones) the Catalysts present an extremely potent "LIVE" feeling. I keep coming back to that idea. They reproduce the LIVE performance with uncanny ease.

The Moody Blues BD I played last night was another example of reproducing the live effect. It was astonishing! A crystal clear, visceral, almost overwhelming wall of sound. All without a hint of distortion no less. Fugueness and others have said the active DSP-controlled Catalysts have great immediacy that can only be appreciated when heard. I agree. The two words that kept coming to my mind when demoing material was (1) LIVE and (2) BIG. When I first started hunting for loudspeakers I kept telling people I was looking for a big sound. They looked at me like I was nuts but this is exactly what the Cats impart. Gravity. Raw Power. Delicate Finesse.

Other recordings demoed included:

Pink Floyd DSOM SACD (obligatory, I know ). I enjoyed listening to DSOM a lot and it was everything it's cracked up to be over the Cats. Having said that, I much prefer "Wish You Were Here" even in 2.1 and this was extraordinary. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is a particular favorite. Again, I felt like I was in the studio sitting next to poor Syd. Just exhilarating.

Alan Parsons Project "Time" was next. Lush, detailed, smooth. What else can I say? I never enjoyed it more.

Steely Dan "My Old School" and "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" were a revelation. The piano, vocals and horns in My Old School" were just so damned beautiful. In fact, I was sitting right next to the horn section. LIVE, once again. Rikki Don't Lose that Number was interesting for the same reasons but with one other benefit. The passage between the marimbas at the opening into the instrumentals was DEAD QUIET. I was a little worried a powerful active speaker might produce some hiss just when that's the last thing I want. No worries. There was nothing to take me out of the moment. I was getting some hum when I first set up the Cats but quickly isolated the problem (my fault) and everything's been whisper quiet since.

Film and TV have been equally gratifying but very different of course. Running through Star Trek TNG lately and it's totally immersive. The Kuro Pro 111FD plays a big part here (although now it's feeling small @ 50") but dialogue intelligibility is off the charts. No more rewinding to hear something you missed. One quibble I have is that I'm using one of the Cats as a CC turned on its side and angled up. It's much better than most (no significant lobing) but it still feels like dialogue is coming from under the screen. Of course this is not the fault of the speaker, rather my poor placement combined with a small room. The only way around this for anyone not using a FP and AT screen is Trinnov processing. As that's not readily available yet I'll try to play with it some more to see if it can be optimized.

Final conclusion: If you are interested in "pro-based" loudspeakers and it's remotely in the budget, you owe it to yourself to give these a listen. I find they are exemplary with music and I've owned and heard lots and lots of high-end audio. The hype is true. Catalysts are king in my book!!

Chris
post #275 of 776 Old 06-05-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Great update. They are the real deal no doubt. Your thoughts seem to echo what everyone else has reported. Glad that everything came together nicely for you .

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #276 of 776 Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 AM

Liked: 11
Hudda -
What did you have before? Was there anything you did not like about the cats?
post #277 of 776 Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 AM

Liked: 13
Anybody around the south central Kentucky area have Catalysts. I would love to hear them.
post #278 of 776 Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

Hudda -
What did you have before? Was there anything you did not like about the cats?

Systems I have owned, demoed in-house, or demoed in friend's houses have included: Focal, B&W, Eggleston Works, Energy, Maggies, Paradigm, Vandersteen, and some pretty serious DIY efforts. There are others I can't think of right now...

There's nothing about the Catalysts I don't like except their weight. At 130 lbs each you don't want to be moving them around a lot. Sonically, they are immaculate. It should be made clear that while these speakers are incredibly powerful, they are amazingly good at low levels. You don't have to crank them to enjoy.

Chris
post #279 of 776 Old 07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Show us some PICS!!!
post #280 of 776 Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^

OK. The room is still very raw as you can see but it's a LOT better than when I started on it. The corner traps still have no cloth covers nor do the raw panels but they are effective as broadband absorbers. And yes, that's blue painter's tape you see still in place! The plasma is a 50" Kuro Elite just for reference. This is the dream system for me and I have to say it sounds insanely good to me.

Chris
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
wilfredent likes this.
post #281 of 776 Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^

More...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
wilfredent likes this.
post #282 of 776 Old 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I just have one question: When is the Get Together?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #283 of 776 Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I just have one question: When is the Get Together?

Craig

Soon. I'll be in touch once I clear some time.

Are you going to do the HP upgrade?

Chris
post #284 of 776 Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 147
No kidding Craig John! I am about 1.5 hrs from North Wales! You maybe 2.5 hrs. It was be sick in there. I am jealous!

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #285 of 776 Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Soon. I'll be in touch once I clear some time.

Are you going to do the HP upgrade?

Chris

My name is on the list. 3 HP amps comin' my way as soon as they're available.

Send me your calendar. I'll clear some time!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #286 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
I would like to humbly request being included in any get together you lads are planning.

I'm only about 3 hours away.

(B)(G)(R) BlendZilla Up Over (R)(G)(B)
post #287 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to see some more PA interest. East coast represents .

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #288 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris, just for the record, how big is your room.

My System

post #289 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkosmann View Post

I would like to humbly request being included in any get together you lads are planning.

I'm only about 3 hours away.

No doubt William. You are on "the list."

Chris
post #290 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Chris, just for the record, how big is your room.

The room is not big Mike. It's about 13.5" x 18.5". Still, with everything superfluous cleared out it's not bad. It is sealed as well.

Chris
post #291 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The room is not big Mike. It's about 13.5" x 18.5". Still, with everything superfluous cleared out it's not bad. It is sealed as well.

Chris

You know, you guys still kill me. Try being in a room that is 12.5fx9.5f with an 8f ceiling and then tell me your room is not big. Looking forward to checking it out.

My System

post #292 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:

^^^

More...

Man that cherry looks niiiiiiice. congrats. Makes me think 2x about the stock color.
post #293 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

No kidding Craig John! I am about 1.5 hrs from North Wales! You maybe 2.5 hrs. It was be sick in there. I am jealous!

According to Google maps, I'm 1 hour and 29 minutes from N. Wales. With most of the driving on the PA turnpike, and with my trusty Valentine 1 on the windshield, I'm sure that's an overly generous estimate.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #294 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

According to Google maps I am about 40min away. Map quest had it just a bit shorter then that. They say 32 min.

My System

post #295 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM

Has anyone had a listen to the Cat8's yet?
post #296 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Has anyone had a listen to the Cat8's yet?

Only me up to this point. I'm still doing some final polishing and work to maintain as close a match to the Catalysts as possible.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #297 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Hey Mark - do you see any sort of upgrade coming to the catalyst's like you did for the submersive in the near future? Kinda of curious as to if you might make any changes to the amp or drivers.
post #298 of 776 Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Hey Mark - do you see any sort of upgrade coming to the catalyst's like you did for the submersive in the near future? Kinda of curious as to if you might make any changes to the amp or drivers.

With all I'm taking on in the next 6 months, and the level of performance the Catalyst family gets from all of the parts I don't see any upgrades for these over the next year. I won't say never, as sometimes I'm surprised, but the Catalysts are rather well vetted. Note that the SubMersive was shipping more than 4 years prior to the HP version.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #299 of 776 Old 07-17-2010, 06:12 AM

Anyone have catalysts around the Rochester, NY or Richmond, VA area that might be open to visit to let me hear them?
post #300 of 776 Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will be holding a Seaton Sound GTG on Tuesday, August 24th from 1:00 PM to 7:30 PM at my place in North Wales, PA. (zip 19454). This is about an hour North of Philadelphia in the 'burbs. Anyone interested please PM me and we'll set you up. Feel free to bring your own source material for demo.

System: Seaton Catalysts LCR, Pair of Sparks for surround, SubMersive HP, Pioneer 111FD, Pioneer SC-09, Oppo BDP-83.

My HT is not huge @ 13.5 x 18.5 so space is limited. The good news is that since this will run for 6.5 hours there should be plenty of time for everyone if we stagger arrivals a bit.

Chris
Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page